• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Well it looks like Mo made them bend the knee:

Mo'Nique gets the last laugh, announces Netflix comedy special

In June, Mo'Nique settled the discrimination and retaliation lawsuit she had filed against Netflix after accusing them of undervaluing Black female comedians. (At the time of her original complaint, Wanda Sykes supported the claim, saying Netflix offered her "less than half" of Mo'Nique's "low-ball" $500k offer.) The matter was "amicably resolved," according to a representative, but who could have predicted just how amicably this working relationship would turn out?

Some history on here, if you wish to catch up.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...ris-rock-or-ellen-money-for-a-special.153188/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...-donkey-of-the-day-for-netflix-boycott.25327/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...my-negotiations-cause-im-a-black-woman.17630/

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
They settled some time ago after she made up with Lee Daniels and he said he wanted her to be in his next film. No one 'won' the case but we probably won't know the settlement details unless someone leaks it or her husband brags about it.

She wasn't being represented at the time of the settlement in the case either.

OP
OP

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
They settled some time ago after she made up with Lee Daniels and he said he wanted her to be in his next film. No one 'won' the case but we probably won't know the settlement details unless someone leaks it or her husband brags about it.

She wasn't being represented at the time of the settlement in the case either.
I still feel she won:

From Deadline:
The 2019 suit also alleges that "Netflix's treatment of Mo'Nique began with a discriminatory low-ball offer and ended with a blacklisting act of retaliation."

In rejecting the streamer's motion to dismiss, Judge Andre Birotte Jr. said yesterday, "Mo'Nique plausibly alleges that, after she spoke out and called her initial offer discriminatory, Netflix retaliated against her by shutting down its standard practice of negotiating in good faith that typically results in increased monetary compensation beyond the 'opening offer' and denying her increased compensation as a result" (Read the full ruling here).

And from AVClub:
At the time of her original complaint, Wanda Sykes supported the claim, saying Netflix offered her "less than half" of Mo'Nique's "low-ball" $500k offer

Mo was likely going to expose them in 4K. I can't see how would get a less than favorable settlement while she's getting a show. She won.

Apr 2, 2021
Damn Wanda Sykes is such a friggin legend, can't believe they offered her so little. Not enough transphobia to warrant the larger price tag I guess?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of Monique these days. Her beefing with DL Hughley was wack and she used homophobic insults on top of that. She also brought his daughter into it. Just low class crap.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
She posted a video announcing this on her Instagram today, and after all that bullshit I'm telling you I DIED.

Won't he do it?

Won't he do it!

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
They settled the lawsuit a week or two ago so I assume this was part of the settlement. The judge actually sided with her that Netflix didn't negotiate in good faith. Glad she is getting paid and it's nice that someone that spoke up was rewarded.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Wanda Sykes is such a friggin legend, can't believe they offered her so little. Not enough transphobia to warrant the larger price tag I guess?
Wanda is GOAT.

She was in San Francisco recently and I couldn't get to see here because of a scheduling conflict. I would love to see her in concert.

OP
OP

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of Monique these days. Her beefing with DL Hughley was wack and she used homophobic insults on top of that. She also brought his daughter into it. Just low class crap.
Yeah she has shitty views and should be held accountable for them. And at the same time, I'm glad she got her bag from Netflix. $500k was a disgusting offer for her.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Ehh it feels like she got more than offered but still a pittance and just took what she could get.