• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 38. Married. And for my whole life I was absolutely against getting a tattoo, as I felt the reasons for it needed to be substantial and somewhat existential.

Then we had our son.

Leon will be 5 years old this September, and there is nothing more life-affirming than looking at my little pal and knowing that this bond will endure until the day I die.

Here in Taiwan, getting a tattoo is an extremely common practice. I'm very fortunate to have found someone whose style is both elegant and affecting.

https://instagram.com/min_tattoo?igshid=bg2jhax9viuc

And so to honour my son, and to remind myself of why I keep going each and every day, I've decided to take a small piece of the touching Marlon Brando quote from Superman '78 and add my son's date of birth in Roman numerals:

The son becomes the father,
and the father the son
IX.XXIII.MMXV

Okay...phew...I'm not nervous about the pain (I just recently had my hand crushed by a hydraulic carseat. I'm nervous about the permanence.

Wish me luck!

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Awesome man, stay safe during this crazy day and age though. Have fun with it!

There's no reason to be against ink, it's art and very personable as you now know.

Also, it's not that painful, I have a full sleeve and the pain goes away and becomes therapeutic after 30 mins or so except for my elbow. That ish was nuts.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome man, stay safe during this crazy day and age though. Have fun with it!

There's no reason to be against ink, it's art and very personable as you now know.

Also, it's not that painful, I have a full sleeve and the pain goes away and becomes therapeutic after 30 mins or so except for my elbow. That ish was nuts.
My ribs and middle of my back/spinal cord. Ugh. Stay away from bonish areas.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I've tattoos across both the outsides of my wrists, and I love them. As long as you're confident in the design, you'll love it and won't regret it, and the pain/discomfort won't be memorable at all.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with it, and it's a great idea for a tattoo!

I'm getting my first one as well. Probably gonna be on my wrist.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy's style is dot-shading. It's light and elegant and not heavy on the ink.

Considering I endured the worst fucking pain of my life just a couple months ago I think this will be a cakewalk by comparison.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Sounds like a dope tattoo! The forearm isn't a bad area at all. Ribs, bicep, thigh, and feet are the worst.

I have a half sleeve myself. I love it and definitely would like to make it a full sleeve at some point.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds horrible to me lol, please say more.

I'm thinking of getting folding hands tattoo on my wrist and maybe a quote on my forearm but maybe that would ruin it if I want a sleeve someday.

I am only 40% done. Lol

The pain has varying degrees depending on where he moves the needle. But if you've ever had a really nasty scratch from a cat then you can probably get the gist of how this feels at its worst moments.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
if you're talking with the artist or whoever in the shop throughout, the pain is negligible. only a few times was i just thinking "wow, this is very painful" when he was doing line work on the inside of my bicep. (soft skin)
This sounds horrible to me lol, please say more.

I'm thinking of getting folding hands tattoo on my wrist and maybe a quote on my forearm but maybe that would ruin it if I want a sleeve someday.
not really. if that day ever comes, just talk to the artist about it and I'm sure they can either incorporate it into the sleeve or cover it with the sleeve design.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a cat scratch me, in fact it's one of my nightmare scenarios and I always keep a safe distance lol.

Hope your tattoo is going well though! You're gonna show the final tattoo?

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'll upload it to my Instagram or just post from the artist's profile cause he uploads all of his work.

EDIT: looks to be maybe 70% done!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
When I was a little younger I wanted to get the Dead Space health bar down my spine like it is in those games and then the last shape at the base would be cracked (I have scoliosis and a cracked vertebrae) but I'm too chicken to even get a little tattoo on my arm that says 23 or even just one of Cyndaquil.

OP you're a braver person that me to get a tattoo for sure. This thread has proven the pain is there for sure (in a bit way) so I'm even more nope about it now.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Can't one ask the tattooist to do it on you but without ink so you get a sense of what it feels like before committing to it?

I know with myself I'm gonna get a small one as my first so I get an idea of how it is.

Already decided on a wolf with an eyepatch for my sleeve.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a little younger I wanted to get the Dead Space health bar down my spine like it is in those games and then the last shape at the base would be cracked (I have scoliosis and a cracked vertebrae) but I'm too chicken to even get a little tattoo on my arm that says 23 or even just one of Cyndaquil.

OP you're a braver person that me to get a tattoo for sure. This thread has proven the pain is there for sure (in a bit way) so I'm even more nope about it now.

I think how people handle pain will depend on their experiences with it. The more physical pain I've had to endure the more desensitized I've become.

Like I had a laser shot into a wart near my finger nail and after several jolts of that fucking shit I was ready to pass out.

This is nothing compared to that. lol

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't one ask the tattooist to do it on you but without ink so you get a sense of what it feels like before committing to it?

I know with myself I'm gonna get a small one as my first so I get an idea of how it is.

Already decided on a wolf with an eyepatch for my sleeve.

Yep. We discussed the design in detail and tweaked it from his original idea. Then he put a blue imprint on my skin from a final sketch I approved.

Shit I kinda want to show you guys how far along I am...

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Once you've got one you'll be thinking about the next in no time. I can't wait for tattoo shops to reopen in the UK so i can get a lot more.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I meant, for the ones who's scared of the needle, couldn't they ask the tattooist to ink you but without the ink so they get to feel the pain, to get a sense of it before committing to being inked.

I'm always impressed how the tattooist can ink the design onto your body as exact as the drawing itself. Do they place an imprint on your body and then ink on top of it?

Once you've got one you'll be thinking about the next in no time. I can't wait for tattoo shops to reopen in the UK so i can get a lot more.
I have so many ideas drawn in my book already.

What was your first tattoo?

Okay here we go...

www.instagram.com

Thomas Bellmore on Instagram

6 likes, 3 comments - solidchamp on May 26, 2020
Oh wow, even with a frame around it. Looks real good so far, love what you went for for the frame. The date of birth in Roman numerals is a nice touch.

I see the imprint now, so that's how they do it.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I meant, for the ones who's scared of the needle, couldn't they ask the tattooist to ink you but without the ink so they get to feel the pain, to get a sense of it before committing to being inked.

I'm always impressed how the tattooist can ink the design onto your body as exact as the drawing itself. Do they place an imprint on your body and then ink on top of it?

Check the Instagram link, see how he did the imprint in blue.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
My idea for a first tattoo on my wrist is much less unique:

hands1zyjk7.png

I feel like it's kind of a common tattoo but it's the one I keep coming back to. As a reminder of the love I can have, and the love I've had, from close ones when I stay sober.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, even with a frame around it. Looks real good so far, love what you went for for the frame. The date of birth in Roman numerals is a nice touch.

I see the imprint now, so that's how they do it.

Wow such an awesome thing to hear as I'm getting my first tattoo! Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought of an old castle settled high up along a bluff and imagined myself walking up there and seeing this etched in stone on an ivy covered wall. That's how I thought of it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
not really. if that day ever comes, just talk to the artist about it and I'm sure they can either incorporate it into the sleeve or cover it with the sleeve design.
I see. Guess I'm going for it then, instead of thinking ahead for what my sleeve would look like later.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
You guys tattoos are rather big compared to what I was preparing myself for as my first one. Maybe I could go for something bigger.

I like your tattoo, it looks slick. Love the whole dark hoodie and cover on top of a skeleton, man that's a lot of ink.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Beautiful design and glad it's going well so far, nice one OP.

hands1zyjk7.png

I feel like it's kind of a common tattoo but it's the one I keep coming back to. As a reminder of the love I can have, and the love I've had, from close ones when I stay sober.
I think that's a lovely design and reason to want it, certainly personal and that it keeps calling to you means something. That's what matters in the end, not that a few of the other 7 billion people might have something similar for other reasons 😊

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I got my first tattoo when I was 17 and drunk, I wouldn't do it again but at the same time I don't really care that I did. Most of the time I even forgot it's there. But a tattoo dedicated to your kid? You won't regret it.

janii

Mar 23, 2020
I got my first tattoo when I was 17 and drunk, I wouldn't do it again but at the same time I don't really care that I did. Most of the time I even forgot it's there. But a tattoo dedicated to your kid? You won't regret it.
How did you get that with 17? Here you have to be 18 to get tattoo, or at least have your parents ok paper when youre 16 and above

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
How did you get that with 17? Here you have to be 18 to get tattoo, or at least have your parents ok paper when youre 16 and above
Can't speak to them but it was a pretty common thing for people 16/17 here to go around tattoo shops to try and eventually find one that didn't ID check and get what you wanted done.

Can remember walking around with my friend at the time to do just that and took like 3-4 stops. Isn't legal here under 18 even with parental consent.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Getting your first tattoo sure is an experience!
I got my first tattoo in January, and it's the Hunter's Mark from Bloodborne

BNlkUdZ.jpg

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'd love to get a tattoo but I think I'd change my mind and get bored of the design after 6 months.

Enjoy your tattoo!

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Getting your first tattoo sure is an experience!
I got my first tattoo in January, and it's the Hunter's Mark from Bloodborne

BNlkUdZ.jpg
That's pretty cool.

I know there are some circles here that frown upon implementing videogame aesthetics into ones real life personality and find it "cringey" or whatever, and I myself have swayed back and forth from that position over the years, but recently I've come to terms with it and accepted that "I am what I am" and videogames are as valid a part of drawing personal aesthetics from as any other part of life.

What makes iconography from religion, ethnic symbols, fashions, music movements etc. more valid to use than videogame iconography? The answer is nothing.

I've never had a tattoo. Recently I've been thinking about getting something FFVII related. The logo perhaps, or Materia slots. A more exotic and hardcore one would be One Wing on my shoulder :P.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I got my first tattoo about 10 years ago, and I do not regret it. I want to get another one, in fact. It sounds like you picked a great tattoo, because it's something clsoe to your heart. That's the important thing.

I got my first one on my bicep, and I don't think it really hurt that much. I'm sure it hurts way way more on other parts of the body.

Anyway, enjoy it! It's a experience. :D