• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me. OP check out James Acaster!

View: https://youtu.be/x73PkUvArJY

Yeah, James Acaster is real good and was betting others would mention him cause he's a counter to what OP is complaining about.

View: https://youtu.be/adh0KGmgmQw

Yeah, y'all need some James Acaster.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM3jaJzNJGs

I actually saw James (along with Josh Widdicombe) at the Edinburgh Fringe years ago when they took part in another act's performance. They both came across as genuinely decent guys.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Stav is great. Mullen is also incredibly clever, though hes so fucking offensive I doubt he would get over here.

I can respect Nick for that. He's a troll at heart and he really really doesn't mean the things he says. Is it bad praxis and whatever? Sure. But I think we're beyond the point where correcting his behavior would change anything. He know's he's wrong and he doesn't want people to take anything he says seriously, he's a shit poster, a good one. I can't say the same for someone like Chappelle, who seems to just be motivated by spite these days and shows a level of emotional maturity beneath the kids he berates, and he's supposedly a philosophical comedic genius.

Oct 27, 2017
James Acaster is fantastic.

Stuart Lee is fantastic (Game of Thrones, aka Peter Stringfellows lord of the rings still cracks me up).

Generally I don't find American stand up funny. Maybe it's the delivery.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bored of longform/story jokes. Sometimes the pay off is worth it, but a lot of times you're left with a bad joke that took like 6-8 minutes to tell. A lot of comedians have leaned into it. Sometimes it's not even a joke, just a story that isn't even funny.

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
Yeah I kinda feel that. I prefer listening to old Eddie Izzard or Steven Wright standup. Dressed to Kill is GOAT as far as I'm concerned.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The thing about specials is they often just suck even from good comics. They're hard to do, you can't replicate the live experience like that. It never captures the energy of the room.

can't say I love the longform story specials though. Comedy should be joke joke joke to me. It's in the name. They're fine, but they're like a one person show or slightly humorous TED talk to me

I can respect Nick for that. He's a troll at heart and he really really doesn't mean the things he says. Is it bad praxis and whatever? Sure. But I think we're beyond the point where correcting his behavior would change anything. He know's he's wrong and he doesn't want people to take anything he says seriously, he's a shit poster, a good one. I can't say the same for someone like Chappelle, who seems to just be motivated by spite these days and shows a level of emotional maturity beneath the kids he berates, and he's supposedly a philosophical comedic genius.
Nick is the one person where you can be like the irony is just genuinely ironic, you can tell he's not using comedy as a shield to attack things he hates like Chappelle, he's truly just peak extremely online

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think netflix just oversaturated the "special"

I enjoy a lot of clips, but dont remember the last time I saw a full length thing.

I remember liking most of bill burrs stuff but the last special I watched was just woman jokes to the point where it wasn't funny anymore.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
What's the deal with people liking different things? Why can't we all just like the same things and therefore no one has to come up with something different for different people? It would save so much time and energy

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Anthony Jeselnik and Taylor Tomlinson are the current GOATs.

Jeselnik has really been honing about 40 minutes of material the last year so I assume he'll have a new special soon. The groans will be louder than ever before, I guarantee that lol (I've seen him 15+ times since lockdown ended).

Taylor just put a new one out but watch Quarter Life Crisis first. Her new one (Look At You) hits a lot different if you already like her, as it's primarily about her mental health. (The same way Bo's Inside is much better if you already know his style.)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer funny storytellers to just punchline stuff or ranting.

Just saw Rhys Darby recently and he was great. Very fun, chill vibe