• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exactly well off. I'm borrowing my vehicle from family and I work as a janitor at a place which is being projected to open near the end of the month, and I'm just so tired.

I don't really know what I'll do when they reopen, so many people, both employees and customers just don't care and disregard all matters of civility.

I'm already an anxious person and all this crap just makes me more so to the point I'm hoping there's just another shut down and I don't feel like I should be thinking like that. I'm scared and it's just getting to me.

Im sorry for the incoherence I just needed to get these words out somewhere. I hope everyone on Era stays safe and healthy.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
You're not alone, that's for sure.

Same goes for kids worried about returning to school.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm so sorry. Stories like these truly break my heart.

Take care of yourself. You'll be in my thoughts.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been going to work since this started.
4 people at my job caught covid19, 5th test pending in the hospital.

You are not alone. I don't want to go to work either, but bills yo.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I've been going to work since this started.
4 people at my job caught covid19, 5th test pending in the hospital.

You are not alone. I don't want to go to work either, but bills yo.

Stuff like this really makes me wonder how things are really going to reopen.. Doubt that many stores are going to be paying any sort of hazard pay out. Who wants to go to work when there's an inherent risk?

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this really makes me wonder how things are really going to reopen.. Doubt that many stores are going to be paying any sort of hazard pay out. Who wants to go to work when there's an inherent risk?
You'd be surprised. There are people like me who need money or want to keep their jobs, and of course you have the brain dead fuckwits who are convinced the whole thing isn't a big deal or it's all a hoax.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I have to take the subway so imagine how I feel, today they started cleaning all the trains on a 24 basis.

Just be safe, wear a mask and keep your distance. We will get thru this.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
You'd be surprised. There are people like me who need money or want to keep their jobs, and of course you have the brain dead fuckwits who are convinced the whole thing isn't a big deal or it's all a hoax.
Most people at the top don't care, because they're not affected like their workers who are interacting with everyone else.

I honestly am fucking disgusted at American society. Everything that is wrong is comming up to the top like scum, but nothing is being done to clean the pool.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I'm supposed to go in for finals in June/July, which would mean taking public transport and sitting in a cramped exam room with 30 other people, since my country has relaxed all the measures put in place in early March

I think I'll be failing my finals this year

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people at the top don't care, because they're not affected like their workers who are interacting with everyone else.

I honestly am fucking disgusted at American society. Everything that is wrong is comming up to the top like scum, but nothing is being done to clean the pool.
Exactly. They had the nerve to release a order that management are required to wear masks. But not the workers doing the labor. They quickly changed this to everyone wear masks when people got upset. They dont give a fuck and wont until people start staying at home.

And people wont stay at home because of bills and some arent taking this serious. No hazard pay, and not even full PTO if you get sick. If you get sick you are sent home for 2 weeks with only one week of pay.

Its all kind of fucked up

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I work at a thrift store and people don't listen on the good days let alone if we try to get them to donate one person at a time without allowing anyone else in until they are done.

I know transferring of the virus from surfaces like packages is unlikely, but my job would involve picking up bags and boxes that have been traveling in a car potentially covered in coughs and what not with no good way to decontaminate the things, especially if we try to return to business as normal as this time of year is normally garage sale season which means multiple customers with SUVs full of stuff dumping off at once while 3-5 of us scramble to pack and load it.

With my state likely throwing out our stay at home order this week thanks to GOP shinnanagins, I will have to decide soon if my job is worth risking my health and my mental stress. On the plus side my SO is allowed to work from home right now and makes enough that we will survive even if I quit my job, and when they return to work they have their own office, but I really don't want to quit like that.

I will likely hear them out for what they are planning on doing once we reopen, and if I don't think it's enough I will likely ask for a leave of absence, or tell them that I'm temp quitting, but once we have proper treatments for covid-19 I would be interested in coming back. I'm one of the best workers at my work, so they would likely have me back, but we will have to see.

But it all sucks because I don't hate my job. It's decent pay, with some nice perks, and gets me up and moving. I really need to get myself in a work out routine again (my main work out is via beat saber in VR, and I've been dealing with an ear problem for like 10 days now :/)

Exactly. They had the nerve to release a order that management are required to wear masks. But not the workers doing the labor. They quickly changed this to everyone wear masks when people got upset. They dont give a fuck and wont until people start staying at home.

And people wont stay at home because of bills and some arent taking this serious. No hazard pay, and not even full PTO if you get sick. If you get sick you are sent home for 2 weeks with only one week of pay.

Its all kind of fucked up

My store manage is alright, but the people above her are who I'm worried about. They mocked our store for requesting sanitation supplies and protective gear two weeks before we were shut down.

My boss' boss told us we were being stupid because it was just a media hoax.
and my boss' boss' boss told us that it doesn't matter if it's a little unsafe, we would lose too many profits if we closed, so we aren't going to close.

And I work at a non profit charity :/

Ideally both of them are taking it a bit more seriously now, but we will have to see. That being said I can't complain about how they have treated me in general since the shut down though, as they have continued to pay me based on my average hours in the last quarter the entire shut down and have committed to do so through the current shut down end date of may 24th (which will likely be forcefully removed by the GOP in the next few days)

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it is fair and valid to feel scared. just go slow, be safe, protect yourself and others, and take it day by day. You'll be okay.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
to the point I'm hoping there's just another shut down
I read that a pandemic is something that happens in waves and scientists are saying a second wave is definitely coming with a chance of a third wave. My country is already easing up on the restrictions and I am not sure it is the right time now. Anxiety sucks and I wish you all the best.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
My boss' boss told us we were being stupid because it was just a media hoax.
and my boss' boss' boss told us that it doesn't matter if it's a little unsafe, we would lose too many profits if we closed, so we aren't going to close.

And I work at a non profit charity :/
There are not enough facepalms in the world.

Hoax => we're republicans who don't care
Profits => we're republicans who don't care

We are just fucked as a country when science is time and again ignored as a hoax for profits.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I hear you. Me and my wife are both working from home for now so that's been fine and will continue to be as long as it continues. When things reopen though and I'm expected back in the office, I'm worried. I'm only 32 but I am very overweight and I have slightly high blood pressure (nothing worth being on medicine or anything, but the doctors always tell me every physical I should try to get it down a bit). Other than that I'm in good health, with supposedly extremely strong lungs from some tests I had done not that long ago, but I keep thinking that I fit the pattern of most of the people who get it and die around my age. I know I'd still likely be fine if I got it (and really as sick as I was in March, I may well have already had it, will be very interested to take an antibody test when they become more widely available) but I don't want to push it. I'm kind of hoping that being in a higher risk group will allow me to continue working from home, but I wouldn't be surprised if my work says no at a certain point.There's also a part of me that wants to go back, I miss human interaction as much as anyone, but I'd really rather wait until I'm confident we have a good handle on it. Not necessarily to the point of a vaccine, but at least until we've managed to open without massive spread for a few weeks...

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the words of encouragement everybody, I hope you all and you're loved ones stay safe. It helps ease my mind a little.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
I understand totally. I've lost over 100 coworkers at my job; everyday there seems to be a new name added to the list of dead. 10 of them I've known personally for over 20 years. I'm currently recovering from a torn Achilles tendon, I've been out on workers comp since November, and it has turned out to be a godsend. I'm dreading the day when I return to work; I'm so depressed and sad it has become almost unbearable.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Same. My colleagues and i also have a problem with our employer that still want us to go back in the office as soon as possible even tho we are a fully digital company whose business was almost not impacted by us working from home. So if we work as well at home than whe where in the office, why on earth do they want us to risk our health by going back to the office in the middle of biggest city in France too soon ? Especially since it's almost impossible to go to said office without taking public transport. Better not congestionate these public transports by people who can work fine from home.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Getting public transport to work, being expected to handle other people's laptops and phones while I'm there, then hotdesking on top of that? All while in a vulnerable group. No thanks.

Luckily management have been good so far and have said there'll be no return to normal even when lockdown eases but I just can't see how I can return when the time comes.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I understand totally. I've lost over 100 coworkers at my job; everyday there seems to be a new name added to the list of dead. 10 of them I've known personally for over 20 years. I'm currently recovering from a torn Achilles tendon, I've been out on workers comp since November, and it has turned out to be a godsend. I'm dreading the day when I return to work; I'm so depressed and sad it has become almost unbearable.

Where do you work that there's that high of a mortality rate?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I am anxious about it too. Also I have to wear business clothes and I really loved wearing casual clothes at home.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm young enough and have no underlying conditions that I'm aware of, other than being a stone heavier than I should be. I'm more worried about the ensuing recession and how it could affect loved ones who have been furloughed/insecure jobs.

I will obviously adhere to guidelines and not take the piss, but I have no qualms about going outside more when the restrictions get lifted. I'm going stir crazy wfh, just not suited to it.

anyone in a vulnerable group I absolutely feel for though.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working the whole time during the pandemic at my office.

The main thing that changed is that our managers have everyone separated and working different shifts. We have sanitizer stations all over the place, we have mandatory wipe-downs of all our desks and equipment the last 10 minutes of our shifts. We have air purifiers, UV lamps, a special venting system an everything else you can think of.

Nobody who doesn't work in the office is allowed past the front lobby, including postal and UPS/FED.

We have to sign forms every day that confirm we don't have a fever, didn't do any travel outside of the state and didn't come into contact with anyone with cold-like symptoms.

Everyone was given a mask too, but we're not required to use them UNTIL the rest of the state "reopens". That's when we fear the outbreaks will return and screw up our office pandemic plans.

Nobody in our office has been sick, so we're doing a solid job. But our fear is when the rest of the state reopens that we won't be able to keep the outside world from getting germs into our protected spaces. Right now, I feel fine and safe. It's when everything else opens up that I get concerned.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
for what its worth i've been in close contact with many COVID patients and i hang around in the same areas where they are treated, transported, imaged etc, and i havent caught it. none of my collegues either (we transport patients). the number of suspected cases in our city has plummeted though (fucking PHEW), but there were a couple really busy weeks and i was really afraid and quite certain at least some co-workers would get it, just had to happen statistically.. but apparently nope. im incredibly relieved atm. i've already been on a ventilator myself because of another infection and i reaaaaally dont want to go through that shit again.

actually i havent heard of a single worker in our big hospital diagnosed COVID positive, there's probably some but its weird i havent heard anything (considering how much we gossip lol).

its not SUPER infectious if you take precautions, i guess. dont let fear take over too much.

Oct 27, 2017

If a place reopens, the company offers you your job back, and you decline than goodbye unemployment insurance. At that point you're considered to have voluntarily quit.

Oct 27, 2017
for what its worth i've been in close contact with many COVID patients and i hang around in the same areas where they are treated, transported, imaged etc, and i havent caught it. none of my collegues either (we transport patients). the number of suspected cases in our city has plummeted though (fucking PHEW), but there were a couple really busy weeks and i was really afraid and quite certain at least some co-workers would get it, just had to happen statistically.. but apparently nope. im incredibly relieved atm. i've already been on a ventilator myself because of another infection and i reaaaaally dont want to go through that shit again.

actually i havent heard of a single worker in our big hospital diagnosed COVID positive, there's probably some but its weird i havent heard anything (considering how much we gossip lol).

its not SUPER infectious if you take precautions, i guess. dont let fear take over too much.
How do you know you haven't caught it? Are you being frequently tested?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hang in there man, I've been scared every day I came in to work so it's not unreasonable to be frightened now.

It feels cheap, only being able offer words of support on a forum, but yeah I feel you.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly look out for your self and be safe around everyone. I don't trust people anyway, now I assume anyone can have the virus any time.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also dreading going back. The CEO has down played this whole thing since the start. The only reason I'm not working is because business tanked. If business was fine I know he'd be making us all come in to the office. He didn't even want people to WFH when it all started.

I honestly thought the company was just gonna die because it's so tied to hospitality industry, but now that things are coming back online, I'm dreading about hearing the "good news" that the company is coming back online and I get to be forced into an office I have almost no need to be in since I can do 99% of my job from home.

My girlfriend got the call to go back to work. Hadn't heard from her employer for over 6 weeks, just got a text message yesterday that she has until Thursday to decide if she's going back to the job she was laid off from, to go back to work on Monday, and if she says no, she loses unemployment

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Totally with you OP. I live in NJ and take mass transit into NYC for work and I honestly dont want to hop on the trains for another year.

Thankfully my office hasn't put a date yet on a return and working online has been going smoothly for us so far.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm nervous pretty much every day at work. Be safe, and I'd say make sure you have masks ready (if the job isn't providing them).

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been working since this whole thing started (call center for a coop) but the company has been taking it incredibly seriously. WFH almost immediately mid/late March for basically everyone (not my campaign, but we're only 3 people so there wasn't that much issue), they've only just started to bring people back but in extremely limited fashion, had everyone take a test beforme even coming back, obligatory mask for everyone

So far I haven't really had any reason to be worried about getting it from work but I know that my situation is extremely lucky/fortunate and I have no idea how the rest of Puerto Rican companies are gonna deal with the soft reopening.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
You're not alone OP.

My mother is afraid too. It's all she could tell me when I talked to her last night.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are both very fortunate to be able to WFH, but I'm more nervous for her to go back. I know they will make her go back before me, although she will get a bit longer since the doctor will provide a doctor's note because she is pregnant. One person in her office got it, but she had been working from home over a month before they got it.

I had worked 3 days a week at home, two at the office before, and right now we are to WFH until further notice, regardless of what our state government does. I am nervous to go back myself but I also know that fortunately my work is playing it extremely safe.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been WFH since mid March right before things started getting crazy and I commute on the LIRR for hours every day. I'm not sure when my office will reopen(its in manhattan), but whenever it does, I dont know if I'm gonna feel safe taking a packed commuter train every day as there is no room for social distancing at all. I also tend to have anxiety if I have to sit with mask on for that long every single day twice a day. It would be much safer and easier and more productive just WFH so I'm hoping my company takes that into consideration.