• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate it but I hated myself playing it. I was making progress but I play souls and bloodborne super defensively and this game wants me to be aggressive. So I was beating bosses but it never clicked and I stopped

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favourite gameplay from FromSoft so far, once it clicks the game is just amazing to play. Bloodborne setting with Sekiro's gameplay would have been the perfect game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Love/hate Sekiro sounds about right. I've played the game up to the end boss three damn times and somehow still don't know if I truly love or hate it.

Also gave up on the end boss three times somehow 😎

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Omg this Chained Ogre fight can go fuck itself

update: found a cheesing method that I definitely will try bc it hasn't been patched

Still seems more possible than the Misen fight which I have yet to beat. Unfortunately this mini-boss gives me Souls vibes in the sense that there isn't an Idol right beforehand and, annoyingly, there's like 7 other grunts to worry about, too. And the hit box with his lance seems really strange.
You're prob doing something wrong. This is like still tutorial boss.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I want this game to click for me so badly. I just don't get it. I die so much faster than in the Souls games, and the healing items just can't keep up with the amount of damage I take while exploring. I need to watch some videos and learn.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
OP getting banned on another Sekiro thread he created is icing on the cake for the thread title lol
Beaten by Sekiro yet again.

I want this game to click for me so badly. I just don't get it. I die so much faster than in the Souls games, and the healing items just can't keep up with the amount of damage I take while exploring. I need to watch some videos and learn.

When it does click, it's so damn good. The flow of combat is unmatched in any of the Souls games. Unfortunately it's also one of the hardest games I ever played, and there were bosses that took me days to finally get by. In Souls games I would have just called in help, so in that regard I can see why Sekiro is a bridge too far for some people.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017

Early game? It might be though. Try to use the tools and a lot of stealth.

Late game is a dance, attack attack attack until they deflect you then spam block until there's an opening and repeat

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to like Sekiro, but it just doesn't click with me. The combat felt good but is like NES level difficult. An entire game as hard as Minus or Orphan of kos fights just became tedious.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would never fault anyone for hating this game. I had a really hard time playing it and was often frustrated not just by the minute to minute difficulty, but the overall pacing. There was just no reward and no respite, only endless ball breaking challenges.

I came to love it after lots of frustration, and giving it another chance after a sense of dissonance between how much I loved From's other games but didn't quite love Sekiro. It feels really good once you get into and know the enemy patterns but the first time thorough it's pretty rough and bordering on unfair with the reaction times and insanely counterintuitive enemy move sets.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about From games that makes so many people torture themselves time after time? Is the FOMO that bad?

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like Sekiro, but it just doesn't click with me. The combat felt good but is like NES level difficult. An entire game as hard as Minus or Orphan of kos fights just became tedious.
Hot take, I found it wayyyyy easier than Dark Souls.

Because I didn't play Dark Souls so I had none of the "bad habits." You can't play Sekiro rolling / dodging. If you did, you were punished.

I think people think of Sekiro as Dark Souls and its just such a different game.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I found one of the secrets to beating many of the bosses (maybe not Horseman) is getting up in their faces and taking command. They'll usually respond with the same 1-3 hit combo which you can "easily" parry. Once I did this with Lady Butterfly she was a cakewalk. Go on the attack!
Yeah this is absolutely key in Sekiro, be attacking constantly. You're mince meat if you stay at a distance. Most of the humanoid enemies (bosses included) can be semi-locked into their counter-attack patterns if you do this, and there are generally far less counter patterns than regular attacks, so it's less to learn. Smacking on lady butterfly as soon as she enters her second phase stops her from even summoning the phantoms.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I wanted to like this game so much. I love the setting and general concept of the game, and I'm not averse to difficult games (multiple playthroughs of Bloodborne, over 500 combined hours in both Nioh games) but Sekiro just felt too restrictive and punishing to me. It's made very clear that there's only one proper way to do things and you will do that proper way or you will never succeed. I don't know, maybe Bloodborne was the exception and From Software games aren't for me. I didn't like the Souls games very much due to the setting and slow pace of combat. The game does look amazing and controls beautifully though! I keep thinking I'll give it another try one of these days, but my first experience with it was so discouraging it's not exactly calling me back.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to like this game so much. I love the setting and general concept of the game, and I'm not averse to difficult games (multiple playthroughs of Bloodborne, over 500 combined hours in both Nioh games) but Sekiro just felt too restrictive and punishing to me. It's made very clear that there's only one proper way to do things and you will do that proper way or you will never succeed. I don't know, maybe Bloodborne was the exception and From Software games aren't for me. I didn't like the Souls games very much due to the setting and slow pace of combat. The game does look amazing and controls beautifully though! I keep thinking I'll give it another try one of these days, but my first experience with it was so discouraging it's not exactly calling me back.
If it's any consolation, the beginning is pretty much the hardest part of the game comparative to the average player's skill at that point since it quickly stops pulling punches and you have to learn to adapt to its combat system or you're fucked. But when it clicks (for most players this will be beating Lady Butterfly) and you start to intuitively understand and use parries and all of your movement options, it becomes one of the most exihlarating experiences out there right now. So if you're thinking about trying it again, I'd suggest going in with the right mindset and to practise and get accustomed to the combat system. It's still not a game for everyone though (far more than other From titles) so it's completely understandable if the game turns out to be not for you.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ether.jpg

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely by far my favorite FromSoft game and one of my favorite action games.

You're prob doing something wrong. This is like still tutorial boss.
Honestly, I finished my first playthrough last week and then played a bit of NG+. I feel Chained Ogre is quite a bit more annoying than later bosses, it seemed hard to actually see which attack he was about to do and how to avoid it. I still got it first try, but it wasn't trivial. This is after beating Owl and Saint Isshin, lol.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Finally accepted that I'll never truly enjoy Sekiro. Much prefer the slower more methodical feeling aspect of Souls games, Sekiro always felt like in between that and an over the top action game. So I feel like either give me a no holding back action game or a slower more Chess like title. Just felt frustrating in not a fun way...

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm a huge Souls fan, but just couldn't get into Sekiro at all. And I tried to give it a chance like 4-5 times already. I just really, really dislike this combat system.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I had a love/hate relationship with the game myself, and I was riding a high after finally beating Genichiro without being hit after about 4 straight hours of learning the fight. Felt like I could take on anything.

...then the ape got up after I "killed" him and every part of my body just said fuck this shit, I'm out.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I got stuck on a mid/end boss and never looked back. So bloody annoying game. 60 fps on nextgen might make me restart though. At least to check it out and see if the new frames make it any less tedious.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If I look at Sekiro in the same vein as From's Soulsbourne games I don't like it much at all. If I look at it as a Tenchu game though, I love it. I think the stealth makes it easier for players but only if they go into it as a stealth action game and not like, Bloodborne but in Japan.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
Sekiro has the best combat out of all the recent From games. I don't agree with the notion that you "need to play a certain way", you have a lot of options available and sometimes parry is the least efficient. Dodge timing can be tight but can open windows to punish that won't be there if you only parry/block. Prosthetics also give you plenty of defensive options and exploit boss weaknesses. Some Combat Arts just tear thru some enemies.

I also appreciate that I don't have to grind for endless amounts of upgrade materials etc just to progress and invest in weapons I might not want to use later in the game.

What's all this about respecting our time? We're playing video games and posting about it. I don't even respect my own time.

Actually, in regards to respect, I feel From respects players more than any other developer because they believe you can overcome the challenges they set forth.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro has the best combat out of all the recent From games. I don't agree with the notion that you "need to play a certain way", you have a lot of options available and sometimes parry is the least efficient. Dodge timing can be tight but can open windows to punish that won't be there if you only parry/block. Prosthetics also give you plenty of defensive options and exploit boss weaknesses. Some Combat Arts just tear thru some enemies.

I also appreciate that I don't have to grind for endless amounts of upgrade materials etc just to progress and invest in weapons I might not want to use later in the game.

What's all this about respecting our time? We're playing video games and posting about it. I don't even respect my own time.

Actually, in regards to respect, I feel From respects players more than any other developer because they believe you can overcome the challenges they set forth.

This speaks to me; especially the bolded.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

What people tend to mean by respecting time is that they want every moment in a game to feel meaningful. There are no doubt video games that will get repetitive for the sake of extending playtime so some people feel that way about these games depending on what the game is asking them to do.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
After 28 hours I had to stop playing Sekiro and move onto another game.

The movement, visuals, setting, verticality, stealth, prosthetic arms upgrades and secret areas to explore were all great. With regular enemies, I was mikiri countering, parrying ok, able to hold my own and playing stealth like a Tenchu game. It was a lot of fun.

I just couldn't come to grips with the combat against bosses. Each one I'm able to beat felt like a fluke and there was no feeling of satisfaction.

Last edited:

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
What people tend to mean by respecting time is that they want every moment in a game to feel meaningful. There are no doubt video games that will get repetitive for the sake of extending playtime so some people feel that way about these games depending on what the game is asking them to do.

Yeah I get that, but every moment in a game can't really be equally meaningful. It will have ups and downs. If a game or piece of art is well considered, the meaningful moments will give context to the less meaningful moments, e.g. overcoming the combined challenge of reaching and then beating a tough mini boss . Ultimately all of that is subjective and we each get to choose how we spend our time.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh stuck on Butterfly lady and wasted my stock of snap seeds.
Also stuck on horseback boss, I googled and seems to recommend grapple attack which I don't even have the option to unlock.

Think I might give up. Love the setting and general gameplay but the bosses are too much for me.
You do have a grapple attack. You just attack after grappling onto him lol

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
I like the Souls games better, but I prefer Sekiro's combat. One-on-one battles feel like a legit sword fight. Best sword combat in a game imo.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Did OP get banned for hating Sekiro, cause I also hate it. It's really well designed but I could not be arsed running around such a vast, beautiful world with a combat system that forces itself to be played one way only and doesn't much reward thinking outside the box.

I actually got pretty good at it too, it's just that gitting gud at Sekiro is dull and has none of the fun agency of a Bloodborne or Souls game, or even most games in general.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My trajectory with the series has been:

Bloodborne -> Dark Souls 3 -> Dark Souls Remastered -> Demons Souls Remake

For whatever reason, I just haven't been interested in Sekiro.

Zeneric

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Funny thread title XD.
I need to get back to playing games for real (Seikro being one of them).

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Did OP get banned for hating Sekiro, cause I also hate it. It's really well designed but I could not be arsed running around such a vast, beautiful world with a combat system that forces itself to be played one way only and doesn't much reward thinking outside the box.

I actually got pretty good at it too, it's just that gitting gud at Sekiro is dull and has none of the fun agency of a Bloodborne or Souls game, or even most games in general.

Nah he was banned for being inflammatory to other people with different opinions.