• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Same. I didn't get one until Monster Hunter Rise and I wish I had a lot sooner. It actually made playing handheld possible for me outside of puzzle games.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If these had gyro and any kind of rumble, I'd get them.

I wish Nintendo would just make sturdy, XL joycons, I'd have gotten a couple pairs immediately.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
Man, I had one of these a year ago but the loud/clacky buttons were driving my wife crazy while we watched TV together, so I had to go back to the default joycons on my OLED. But I really, really miss them. I gave them to my son, who tells me he's made good use of them the last year, and would never go back. The thing is, without playing upstairs while I watch shows with the missus, I'd just be docked and using my Pro Controller, so there just isn't a reason for me to have them. Super frustrating - maybe someday they'll make a "quiet" version lol.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
I havent moved on these because I'm stuck between this and the bink boks… also I guess another question… will these eventually drift like the joycons? Even after stick replacement my joycons drift and it's infuriating.

Oct 30, 2017
How's it compared to Binboks?

i generally prefer the binboks. a big reason why is the screen is flush with the binboks so it feels like a more coherent device, — it's quite heavily inset on the hori, which i find offputting on the OLED switch because of the smaller bezels. it's like the edge of the screen gets cut off if you look at it from an angle. binboks are also just a more versatile product since you get rumble, can use them wirelessly, etc.

binbok quality control isn't great though, mine has a d-pad that's slightly harder to push up than any other direction (or maybe they're all like that, i don't know). not like the hori d-pad is awesome but it's definitely better.

overall i would say the binboks are better for 3D and the horis are better for 2D, but many 2D switch games are fine with regular joy-cons, so i use the binboks more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I bought one because my joycons have drift but honestly I wish I'd just bought new joycons instead. Too big and bulky for my small hands, I don't love the extra weight either.
This kind of stuff sells easily in ebay if you want to make a change, especially in good condition. You'll lose some cash ofc, but maybe better than carrying on uncomfortable.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I need to do this. Those joycons are just hand cramps waiting to happen. Like 20 minutes and I'm done with this baby hand console.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Split pad pro is a vast improvement on the standard joycons. I didn't even realise they didn't have rumble or gyro controls. Shows how much those gimmicks matter to me.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Glad you like it, the form factor made my hands go numb just like the joy con. I'm sure I would have liked the satisfy better, but I wanted to get better sticks if possible

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely makes the Switch more comfortable to hold. Thumbsticks on the Split Pad are way too loose though, they feel cheap (though I've never had any actual issues with the unit)

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I like it and it's a huge improvement over the stock joycons. But still, it could be a better controller. Buttons are alright yet a bit cheap. The paddle button is really usefull for some games but it sits ar a weird postion, I have to be careful how to place my hand in order not to push it by accident. No rumle is disappointing too, especially in games like Luigi's Mansion 3 which used rumble as an indicator for a certain collectible. The visual indicator is by far not as useful.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I use the Binboks because they have more features and also I can use them as a regular controler when on TV mode, which added to the value of the controller.

But these third party controllers are a must on the switch. Regular joycons are too uncomfortable for portable play, most of the time.

miraimatt

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Split Pad Pro mainly for the d-pad, but also for comfort. the d-pad is a little unusual (to me, at least) in that it is somewhat concave, but I've played through almost every 2D Mega Man game on it and it works great. Fewer phantom up/down presses than the d-pads on an official Pro Controller, an Anbernic handheld, and an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ (all of which do that to me sometimes to varying extents, in decreasing order).

Comfort-wise, I find the Split Pad Pro great. for some reason (I assume the thinness) the regular Switch made my hands feel weird more than any other device, but with the Split Pad Pro I could use it all day. I do wish it had gyro and rumble, and it makes the Switch seem a little Frankenstein-y, but I think it's one of the best options available depending on your preferences.

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I've had bad luck. I bought 2 pairs of Hori joycons and both developed drift in the left controller in less than a month. Anybody else develop drift in theirs?

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
I went with the Binboks and I love 'em. Gyro and powerful rumble (not HD though), and they're nice and flush with the Switch. The D-pad leaves something to be desired, but it's still completely usable.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the club! About a year ago I got my Split Pad Pro and haven't looked back outside of things that needed gyro. My biggest issue with joycons was in handheld mode, the left one would eventually act like it was disconnected randomly. I think it had something to do with pressure on the plastic rail on the joycon that attaches, but this happened to almost every single joycon I used. I didn't even hold the system where it was hanging by that joycon either.

The Split Pad Pro has a stupidly simple remedy to this: there's a chunk of plastic that sticks out on the back near the top that properly supports the system. I will NEVER understand why they have not started doing this for joycons. While joycons have numerous issues, this one is such as easy fix.

What's wild is that the Split Pad Pro is even licensed by Nintendo, you'll even find it on Nintendo's website!

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say I personally like the Split-Pad pro.

In fact, Hori's now selling a USB converter that lets you use it as a classic gamepad while in Docked mode. The only issue is that it's not sold separately.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Split pad pro is the only reason i can tolerate playing handheld i absolutely love them they fit perfectly in my hands unlike the tiny little flat joycons.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Love me my Horis, made me want to actually use my switch, as I only play in handheld.
Would have never dropped 90 hours+ into MonHun Rise without them.

But I am very curious about getting a 3d printed clip for the switch+8bitdo as that could also be quite nice.
Just wish someone printed sold these in aus so I didn't need to pay shipping as all options so far, etsy for example, the shipping is more than the clip!

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No drift whatsoever. I hear it's almost impossible to develop drift on the Hori since it doesn't have gyroscopes and rumble, but i might be mistaken.
Unfortunately I have drift on my Hori Split Pad Pro (the left side controller) after a month of use so it's not impossible for it to happen.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I liked mine a lot, but it wore down fairly quickly so that it'd lose connection with the Switch constantly. I'd have to twist it a bit to get it to work again on the Switch, but became too much of a hassle to keep using it.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I got one but it doesn't feel that comfortable to me, it sucks. I also don't like how it doesn't feel like one system, but just tacked on. But happy it improves the experience to other!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
How's it compared to Binboks?
I find the Binboks more comfortable, their grip is more like a a 360 style controller compared to the Split Pad which is a bit flatter.

But the Split Pad has better quality analog sticks. The Binboks kinda stick to the 8 main directions, more than the Split Pads which are a smoother movement curve (you can test it in the analog stick configuration menu on the Switch).

In the Binbok's favor they did get a firmware update that made their analog sticks more accurate, and they also have gyros so motion controls are an option. If you want motion controls with the split pad you need to have a regular analog stick on the left and a split pad on the right, then you can get good analog stick aiming with gyro controls.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Good shout out, OP. My kid wore out a few Joycons before I tried the Hori pad on a whim last year.

Thing is going strong, and zero problems since day one.

OP
OP
BetterGraphics
Dec 11, 2017
Thanks for all the replies here. While I don't think the Hori's are perfect, I think the improvement over joycons in handheld is enormous. I played a chapter of Live A Live last night and had no cramping/tingling in my hands!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
are they helpful with hand fatigue? it's been a problem with Monster Hunter, i have to play with my Switch against my leg or such.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I do like them, but the right controller got gradually worse and worse at connecting to the switch, to the point of it being unplayable. And now the left controller (which I have kept using but with a regular joycon on the right side) has gotten a janky/unresponsive L trigger. It had a good 1 year run though.

The quest for the perfect non-destructible Switch handheld controller continues....

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up going back to a grip thing (the skullco one specifically) cause I really kind of hate the mushy buttons on the Split Pad Pro. Sucks, because they're otherwise very comfortable. Maybe I'll give this Binbok thing a try.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested in these and am wondering the same thing. The price difference implies somethings gotta be different.

They have another version without back buttons too. This is the one I got and have enjoyed them so far. No idea what the actual difference is on the other two posted, going to guess it is a minor hardware change.

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-binbok-Adjustable-LED,Wake-up-Vibration/dp/B08YR5NQYF?ref_=ast_sto_dp#