• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Xbox exclusives will end up performing better on XSS than on my rig?

• Yes. You just have to be patient.

Votes: 332 34.6%
  • Not significantly.

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • I don´t think so.

Votes: 362 37.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
30fps is now unplayable for some reason lol.

I know Y7 is not quite optimized but to someone who has a cheap TV that 900p 60fps mode will be good. Quite better than my PS4 Slim. And so far, the only outlier publisher/devs who is not trying a lot with Series S is... Ubisoft. Maybe Capcom too, but I prefer wait to RE8 before claim this only with what we know from DMC V SE.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could be answering anything other than "Yes" in the poll options.

OP has an i5-6600K, a 1060, and a regular HDD. That system will absolutely not hold up at 1080p 60 FPS for the remainder of the generation. The HDD alone will make it very difficult to run games after 2022.

The Series S is absolutely the better option just for the NVME SSD alone. A console will also have tighter optimizations that take advantage of the specific hardware relative to a PC.

Yes. This.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to receive a Series S for Christmas, and arriving to that from a Switch, I think my reaction will be happier :D

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
in all honesty... you should have upgraded your rig. With the XSS money you could have bought a WD SN750 SSD that is pretty much the same as the XSX and with the spare change, you could have bought more RAM. Your GPU is the same as mine and works more than fine, I can run DMC V on High all settings and 60fps with it, sure it will be outdated AF in 3 years but there is enough time to upgrade.

So, sorry OP but if you have a PC with decent specs, you really shouldn't have bought an XSS

Sep 22, 2019
IMO there is no point in getting an Xbox if you are a hardcore gamer in the sense that you care about performance and resolution in comparison to what other systems can offer, I would sell it and upgrade the PC seeing as you are already noticing the disadvantages of going back to consoles.

Jan 10, 2018
Was it for economic reasons you went with the S version instead of X? Because when you say that 60 fps is very important to you it doesn't make sense that you choose the console version that is least likely to give high framerates.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in all honesty... you should have upgraded your rig. With the XSS money you could have bought a WD SN750 SSD that is pretty much the same as the XSX and with the spare change, you could have bought more RAM. Your GPU is the same as mine and works more than fine, I can run DMC V on High all settings and 60fps with it, sure it will be outdated AF in 3 years but there is enough time to upgrade.

So, sorry OP but if you have a PC with decent specs, you really shouldn't have bought an XSS

Eh a 1060 and a 6600 even with an nvme is still slower than a Series S.

Also isn't a 6600 running drr3?

If doing PC upgrades OP is in for a full rebuild (new board, new cpu, new ram, new nvme, new gpu).

Imo the extra storage of the SX plus the much beefier GPU is worth the $200. PS5 also a good option.

Can't come close to building a PC as powerful as those boxes for $500. Insane value.

Even $800 of parts would not get OP to PS5 or SX level (that would look like a 5700 xt and a 3600, new board, 16gb ddr4 ram, 1tb nvme)

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Eh a 1060 and a 6600 even with an nvme is still slower than a Series S.

Also isn't a 6600 running drr3?

If doing PC upgrades OP is in for a full rebuild (new board, new cpu, new ram, new nvme, new gpu).

Imo the extra storage of the SX plus the much beefier GPU is worth the $200. PS5 also a good option.

Can't come close to building a PC as powerful as those boxes for $500. Insane value.
what? if op moves the OS to the SSD it'll be significantly faster than the XSS.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what? if op moves the OS to the SSD it'll be significantly faster than the XSS.

No, it wouldn't.

The XSS gpu is faster than a 1060. A brand new 4tf rdna2 amd chip is absolutely superior to a 4 year old 4tf Pascal Nvidia chip.

The cpu is faster and has more cores than a 6600.

I'm not sure what people aren't understanding in this thread but it's weird.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
160+ replies and we are no closer to an answer. Depending on the future games (especially those designed for the new consoles), I might still get a Series S. 1080p60 is all I need, and $200 is a lot of money for me. As for the storage, I have always been a one-game-at-a-time type of gamer so, that won't be a problem for me.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I bought my Series S specifically to be a Gamepass machine, and it has been nothing short of fantastic so far. It's super fast, really convenient (I can easily fit it into my laptop bag to take over to one of my friend's houses), and has plenty of space for what I need (I have about 20 indie games and 5 AAA games and I'm only at 60% usage). As far as framerate, I'm not too concerned that a couple of third party launch titles are not hitting 60fps. I think this should improve over time, and first party games always seem to shine on their respective consoles. But that could just be my optimistic attitude for you. Have fun gaming, OP!

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
IMO comparing raw power numbers somewhat misses the point. PCs and consoles each have their pros and cons as well as your preference for how you prefer to play games. A PC will cost you more on hardware over the lifetime of a console but should save you money on games whereas a Series will be good for at least 5/6 years without any more money spent on it apart from games.

You could put the £250 of the Series S against a new GPU instead but within the next 5 years, if not pretty soon, you'll probably need to upgrade your CPU to keep up, maybe the mobo to accept the new CPU and maybe some quicker RAM and you'll definitely need an SSD or two.

But you've got to weigh that up against how you prefer to play games. Do you sit at a desk or a sofa, do you play multiplayer or single player games, do you play the latest stuff that's just come out, are you fine with 1080p at 60fps or will you not be satisfied with less than 4k 120fps etc.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
No, it wouldn't.

The XSS gpu is faster than a 1060. A brand new 4tf rdna2 amd chip is absolutely superior to a 4 year old 4tf Pascal Nvidia chip. The cpu is faster and has more cores than a 6600. I'm not sure what people aren't understanding in this thread but it's weird.
you're giving the CPU too much credit. Yes it's still inferior but in all honesty, it's not night and day, OP could still play the games all the same if they had bought an SSD and moar RAM

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
160+ replies and we are no closer to an answer. Depending on the future games (especially those designed for the new consoles), I might still get a Series S. 1080p60 is all I need, and $200 is a lot of money for me. As for the storage, I have always been a one-game-at-a-time type of gamer so, that won't be a problem for me.

the whole 1080p 60fps is an issue here tho. It can't even do that on a cross gen game.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

What answer do you want? We don't have a crystal ball to see into the future. We do have evidence though of games being 60 fps on series X and 30 fps on series S already, and the OP wants 60 fps games. So if you don't want to worry about frame rate and resolution, the answer is simple to grab the X. If you don't care about this, S will be fine.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yes, it's most likely than not that the Series S will perform better than your current gig at the moment.

Devs still need to get a better grasp of the XS tools, the Zen 2 architecture is much better than the 6600k you have. The 1060 is still a much capable card for 1080p, but, for example, you can play Watch Dogs Legion at 1080p with Ray Tracing on the Series S, with much faster loading times, which you can't on your current PC.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's most likely than not that the Series S will perform better than your current gig at the moment.

Devs still need to get a better grasp of the XS tools, the Zen 2 architecture is much better than the 6600k you have. The 1060 is still a much capable card for 1080p, but, for example, you can play Watch Dogs Legion at 1080p with Ray Tracing on the Series S, with much faster loading times, which you can't on your current PC.
yeh, but he could turn off ray tracing on his computer and run the game at a reasonable framerate (possibly 60fps if he sets the graphical settings accordingly).

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
yeh, but he could turn off ray tracing on his computer and run the game at a reasonable framerate (possibly 60fps if he sets the graphical settings accordingly).

He can't turn it on if he wants, however. We know that PC gives you more options, the point is that the Series S can do things his rig can't, and he doesn't want to upgrade, so the point is that the Series S is still a good purchase for 1080p and it's most likely that in time devs will take better advantage of the hardware and software of the console.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the situation might be better in games that are specifically designed for the new architecture though. We just have to wait and see.

I feel some people fear even MS games will have weird parity (like a couple of Ubisoft games lol), when I expect those game have excellent parity and performance between Series X and Series S.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Thanks everybody for your answers.

I have decided I am going to keep my Series S for the moment.

Funnily enough, the only folks who have took the time to justify their opinion making comparisons with other PC components are those who agree on that my Xbox Series S is going to perform better than my current PC rig in the long-term.

It is sad to see a huge amount of posts justs advising me to upgrade my PC when I wrote in capital letters, in the first sentence of my OP that I am not planning to do so. Xbox Series S is a console more powerful than my PC (by whatever margin) that allows me to enjoy Game Pass and Xbox exclusives day one. Those are the only games I want the Series S for and I am going to play on a full HD monitor. As others have said, it is safe to think that Xbox exclusives are going to be heavily optimised for the system and that´s what matters to me.

This thread shows once again how hard is for us in general to be empathetic. My needs aren´t yours, even in a forum like this. I am happy MS has offered this console, especially in a world like this, in which my country has been severly affected by the virus.

Once again, thank you guys, and as Reggie once said:

Play.the.games.