• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.engadget.com

Hyundai is reportedly in talks to buy Boston Dynamics

Hyundai may be the next owner of Boston Dynamics, the company behind the Spot robot dog.

https://www.engadget.com/

Image credit: Mike Blake / reuters
Hyundai is reportedly in talks to buy Boston Dynamics
It would be the third owner for the robotics company in a decade.
Devindra Hardawar
16m ago

Mike Blake / reuters
Boston Dynamics, the robotics company behind nightmare-fuel products like Spot, may be headed to Hyundai, Bloomberg reports. Sources say that current owner Softbank is in talks with the Korean automaker. The deal could be worth up to $1 billion, though Bloomberg notes that nothing is finalized yet, and the deal could eventually fall apart. Hyundai may seem like a surprising parent at first if you're only familiar with its cars, but the company also has an entire group focused on industrial robotics, where Boston Dynamics' technology would fit nicely. And Hyundai is no stranger to diving into burgeoning technology — it just announced its New Horizons Studio for futuristic concepts.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
hyundai robot horse pls

just imagine these crossed together

rhyHS51.jpg
2021-hyundai-palisade-mmp-1-1594746767.jpg

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It's done. The price tag is $921 million USD.

www.cnet.com

Hyundai buys 80% controlling stake in Boston Dynamics, maker of Spot the robot dog, for $921M

The goal of the acquisition is to transform human life through the advancement of robotics, according to Hyundai.
www.kedglobal.com

Hyundai Motor acquires Boston Dynamics from SoftBank for almost $1 bn - KED Global

Hyundai Motor Co. has decided to acquire the US robotics firm Boston Dynamics Inc. from SoftBank Group for slightly less than 1 trillion won ($921 million) and

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt Samsung build some military hardware? We might be seeing some actual mechas.

Jun 14, 2019
I bought a Sante Fe in 2012. #teamHyundai

I traded it in in 2017 towards a Kia Niro. #teamNotHyundia #teamKia #teamYoureStillHyundaiAsshole

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1B in this market is laughable, shows that they really can't figure out what to do with this tech.

The most pressing need regarding AI-robots is for space-based activities first and foremost. I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that SpaceX doesn't have a robot-making division, it will quickly become a stumbling block.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1B in this market is laughable, shows that they really can't figure out what to do with this tech.

The most pressing need regarding AI-robots is for space-based activities first and foremost. I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that SpaceX doesn't have a robot-making division, it will quickly become a stumbling block.
I remember reading the military really cooled down on that technology.
I think they're kinda fucked, it's hard for military tech to compete in the consumer market.
It is competing with way cheaper stuff that is pretty close in capabilities.

I also remain unconvinced that this design has too many useful applications.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember reading the military really cooled down on that technology.
I think they're kinda fucked, it's hard for military tech to compete in the consumer market.
It is competing with way cheaper stuff that is pretty close in capabilities.

I also remain unconvinced that this design has too many useful applications.

The use case is always described as "for rescue operations". Which is ridiculous. That's just when they don't want to say "Military/Police/Security".

Flying drones make far more sense anyway. I've seen them use Spot on construction site, under the excuse that there are no security cameras in place, but cameras are cheap, Spot is slow. There's really no need for this thing. Their bigger human-sized robot could be interesting, but not really.

If you want to replace humans, you make octopus-like robots, think Shuma-Gorath but made of many slim tentacles instead of a few thick ones, not human-like robots. THAT can literally do anything, such as driving a Jeep while reading the instruction manual and firing a machine gun all at the same time, delivering groceries, building cars, painting them. It can do anything. You don't need to convert anything for its use, it can manipulate anything a human can and then some, and it can't fall.

Last edited:

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
They will probably be a great fit. We might see things like wheelchairs with legs or other lower body exoskeletons.

Jul 18, 2018
They definitely have to be using some of tech for manufacturing side of things. Could definitely help when transitioning to EV vehicles

Akela

Oct 28, 2017

SpaceX bought/rented their own Spot robot recently (called Zeus) which they use for pad work during Starship testing. I'm sure they're also pretty interested in space-based applications as well.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
BD seems like they meticulously engineered a product that maybe a few dozen organizations can come up with actual use cases for. It's really cool tech that just doesn't seem to do any actual useful thing better than a cheaper product can.