• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo didn't develop it and they don't publish it in Japan. Do a modicum of research.
I know Nintendo didn't develop it, but this is Nintendo's IP, one of their biggest... they are big on quality control when it comes to their IP... so they are responsible to a certain degree to ensure the game is the best it can be.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of tips that might not be obvious to people new to the game:

- While you're moving, holding B for a sec after dodging will put you into a sprint straight away.
- Characters that have a move that launches them into the air can usually do a few standard attacks while air-borne. Good for bouncing enemies up and destroying their weakness gauge. For example, as Link with sword and shield press YXYYYX.
- A lot of generals can be baited into a vulnerable state by just wailing on them with your standard attack chain. Dodge and counter once they attack.
- Hit a Darknut once and then dodge around them to confuse and reveal their weakness gauge.
- Block Zant's attacks to dizzy him.
- Staying close to Dodongo and dodging through his breath attack is a good way to make him inhale. Dodge right and then left.
- Stay a short distance away from Manhandla (not too close or he will use an area poison attack) and keep blocking until he's vulnerable.
- You can dodge-cancel firing your bow to shoot faster. Very damaging if you get a bow powerup. Just dodge as soon as the arrows leave your bow and fire again immediately.
- Don't play as Agitha unless you have to.

I can't think of anything else right now.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is good. It's not 60 FPS at all docked. More like 30+.

I don't like Musou games overall but'loved Pirate warrior and loving his one

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Game is good. It's not 60 FPS at all docked. More like 30+.

I don't like Musou games overall but'loved Pirate warrior and loving his one

So does being 30 - 60 make it stuttery? Is it smooth? If unlocking means it's not smooth and handheld performance is apparently all over the place, I may pass. Which sucks. I've been waiting for this one

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
While you're moving, holding B for a sec after dodging will put you into a sprint straight away.
Thanks, that's huge for me! The time it takes for them so start a sprint seems longer than in FEW and drove me nuts until now. It's not thaaat long but still long enough to get somewhat annoying.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
handheld performance is apparently all over the place,
That's not it. Handheld performance is actually more stable than docked but only at around 30 while docked fluctuates quite a lot between 30-60. I'd guess that docked might be 40~45 range on the average.

If that feels smooth to you is rather subjective.

As long as DF doesn't do a hard facts analysis it'll be quite difficult to pin those numbers down really.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
That's not it. Handheld performance is actually more stable than docked but only at around 30 while docked fluctuates quite a lot between 30-60. I'd guess that docked might be 40~45 range on the average.

If that feels smooth to you is rather subjective.

As long as DF doesn't do a hard facts analysis it'll be quite difficult to pin those numbers down really.

Ok...I meanI notice on my PC if I unlock something like Witcher 3 and it fluctuates between 40-60 it's not a smooth experience. Stutters is the best word I can think of. I wish this had a demo so I could see for myself. I want the game badlol

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, that's huge for me! The time it takes for them so start a sprint seems longer than in FEW and drove me nuts until now. It's not thaaat long but still long enough to get somewhat annoying.

Yeah, I mentioned it because people were talking about movement speed. You should always be sprinting really.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I know Nintendo didn't develop it, but this is Nintendo's IP, one of their biggest... they are big on quality control when it comes to their IP... so they are responsible to a certain degree to ensure the game is the best it can be.
OK?

Hyrule Warriors is polished. I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Let me say this as a musou fan, I just traded in FE:W for hyrule warriors despite playing it on the wii-u (when i had one). You will enjoy Hyrule warriors more than FE:W and it has more content to play with. As a musou fan i can 100% recommend Hyrule Warriors to anyone who may have liked Fire emblem warriors. (i didnt care much for Fire emblem heroes because of clones.)

For the content alone it is worth it. Plus at least there are no copy move sets and each character can have multiple move sets depending on the weapon they have.

You'll possibly enjoy it more. It's more straightforward and focused on obvious goals and challenges to attempt.

Plenty of references and callbacks to older games with an original twist.

Oh and it's just loaded with content, albeit similar content, but dangling rewards everywhere to keep you growing the heroes for months if you wish.

Thanks! It's on my radar now and I'll probably grab it sooner than later

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't plan to buy this but the amount of content and the long wait until Mario Tennis made me bite. Looking forward to try the Adventure Mode.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just go straight into Adventure Mode, or do I need to play the campaign first? Adventure mode sounds more fun.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just go straight into Adventure Mode, or do I need to play the campaign first? Adventure mode sounds more fun.
You just need to beat the first stage of story mode first. Keep in mind there are weapons you can only get through the story mode (such as the master sword) and you'll make most of the bosses much more difficult as you won;t have access to their weaknesses. Ideally you'll want to finish the second Twilight Princess stage in story mode before taking on the first adventure map and then make it to and finish the first Wind Waker stage before attempting the other adventure maps.

nick_b

Dec 10, 2017
If I could've gotten this at a discount for already owning the WiiU version I might've...

$60 for this again is not okay.

Can we please not have this again in this thread? The Donkey Kong thread had pages of it. Talk about the game. At least add something interesting to your comment especially if you've played before.

For instance, use your command menu to send your npc controlled allies to contested parts of the map you won't be going to. To reset their destination/regroup make their target the character you control and they will follow you.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
You used to have to do story mode to unlock a bunch of characters, but now they're unlocked from the start

you basically just have to go through story mode if you want the Master Sword and... I think one of the upgrades for Linkle's crossbows?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You just need to beat the first stage of story mode first. Keep in mind there are weapons you can only get through the story mode (such as the master sword) and you'll make most of the bosses much more difficult as you won;t have access to their weaknesses. Ideally you'll want to finish the second Twilight Princess stage in story mode before taking on the first adventure map and then make it to and finish the first Wind Waker stage before attempting the other adventure maps.

You used to have to do story mode to unlock a bunch of characters, but now they're unlocked from the start

you basically just have to go through story mode if you want the Master Sword and... I think one of the upgrades for Linkle's crossbows?

I think you need to play one mission in the story mode first. But then you can go right into the adventure mode yeah.

I think you have to play 1 mission in the story mode (which you should do anyway just to get the controls down). Beyond that, you should be good immediatley.

Thanks!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There are some parts of Adventure mode that will be locked due to needing to unlock or obtain some content from the story mode. Story mode is shorter than even one adventure map anyway.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Going on a long trip this weekend and this will be a great time killer on the road. Can't wait for this download to pick up the pace a bit.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the weapons that were unlocked with amiibos? Like Link's tp spinner? Is it unlocked normally in this game or you still need amiibos?

Edit: also is it confirmed to be 30fps only on handheld?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Why were people complaining about not smooth 30fps earlier in the thread in handheld mode then?Also. I know Nintendo didn't develop it but it's their ip so I hopped they would have some better impressions of this $60(!) port of a Wii U game. Didn't mean to derail the thread. But I'm not going to pay $60 for a port that doesn't even run well.

The impressions earlier disappointed me and I was wanting a game to turn on my Switch again since Mario. Gah. I shouldn't have even commented. God damnit.

The reason people are getting on you is because you clearly state something that is wrong. You stated that this was Nintendo's game and you are absolutely 100% wrong about that.

It's fine to be displeased with performance. I personally don't find it to be a huge problem so far, but again this is not Nintendo's game and if you knew that, you shouldn't have stated that it was because that's blatantly false.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was really hoping that they would have made materials and weapons be automatically collected in this version like how it is in Fire Emblem Warriors, but it seems like that isn't the case... It was so nice not having to worry about searching around for missed items to pick up in FEW.

Also, what exactly is the 8-bit weapon toggle in settings? By default it's off, but if I keep it off am I missing out on anything beyond visual differences? I played Legends way more than the Wii U version, so I never used the 8-bit weapons and don't really know what's up with them.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I'm enjoying it quite a bit and trying to wrap my head around all the stuff the game throws at me but I run into Gold Sklulltulla position and nothing happens - am I doing something wrong?

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was really hoping that they would have made materials and weapons be automatically collected in this version like how it is in Fire Emblem Warriors, but it seems like that isn't the case... It was so nice not having to worry about searching around for missed items to pick up in FEW.

Also, what exactly is the 8-bit weapon toggle in settings? By default it's off, but if I keep it off am I missing out on anything beyond visual differences? I played Legends way more than the Wii U version, so I never used the 8-bit weapons and don't really know what's up with them.
That top part can't be right. The game auto collected materials and rupees in the Wii U and 3DS versions. 8 bit should just be visual but some one else may know more for certain.

Igor Skulltulla come out after a KO threshold, usually 1000 if I remember right.

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm enjoying it quite a bit and trying to wrap my head around all the stuff the game throws at me but I run into Gold Sklulltulla position and nothing happens - am I doing something wrong?
The point on the map is a rough estimate, you have to use the sound (everything will go quiet except for the sound of the skultula) to narrow it down. A lot of times they're under boulders that you have to blow up as well.
The game auto collected materials and rupees in the Wii U and 3DS versions. 8 bit should just be visual but some one else may know more for certain.

Igor Skulltulla come out after a KO threshold, usually 100.
No the game (all versions) auto collects rupees but not materials and weapons.
Skultulas usually come after 1000, not 100 (I'm sure that was a typo though).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I really wondered if I was imagining the difference, but after just 3-4 missions of this game I have to say FEW just feels so lifeless compared to this game. There's so much more personality in this and the battlefields are so much more exotic and memorable to run around in. Most of FEW just blended together for me, even though I preferred its mechanics the levels just all felt so flat and uninteresting. HW's scale feels bigger too.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
The point on the map is a rough estimate, you have to use the sound (everything will go quiet except for the sound of the skultula) to narrow it down. A lot of times they're under boulders that you have to blow up as well.

No the game (all versions) auto collects rupees but not materials and weapons.
Skultulas usually come after 1000, not 100 (I'm sure that was a typo though).

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the game gives you any materials you don't physically pick up at the end of the stage.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I really wondered if I was imagining the difference, but after just 3-4 missions of this game I have to say FEW just feels so lifeless compared to this game. There's so much more personality in this and the battlefields are so much more exotic and memorable to run around in. Most of FEW just blended together for me, even though I preferred its mechanics the levels just all felt so flat and uninteresting. HW's scale feels bigger too.
Yeah I really don't know what happened, FEW could have used another 4 to 6 months in the oven.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Everything gets picked up at the end regardless of whether or not they were collected by the player.
This is correct

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
The reason people are getting on you is because you clearly state something that is wrong. You stated that this was Nintendo's game and you are absolutely 100% wrong about that.

It's fine to be displeased with performance. I personally don't find it to be a huge problem so far, but again this is not Nintendo's game and if you knew that, you shouldn't have stated that it was because that's blatantly false.
I thought they published it. My bad. If it has absolutely nothing to do with them I'll shut up about it. I know they didn't develop it. I thought it had to go through them a little as it's their IP. I won't assume any other thing about any other game ever again on this forum unless I'm 150% sure about something.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'm pretty sure the game gives you any materials you don't physically pick up at the end of the stage.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Everything gets picked up at the end regardless of whether or not they were collected by the player.
Is this really true?? I swear it seemed like that didn't happen when I played the Wii U and 3DS versions. Why are the items just left on the field like that then, anyway? That's just weird and confusing, especially compared to how it's handled in FEW.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

I feel pretty much the same way. FEW is insanely limited on variety whereas HW has it in abundance as far as characters\weapons\costumes go.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really true?? I swear it seemed like that didn't happen when I played the Wii U and 3DS versions. Why are the items just left on the field like that then, anyway? That's just weird and confusing, especially compared to how it's handled in FEW.

Yeah, it's been like that in every version.

It would suuuuuck if you had to manually collect stuff.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I actually do expect a couple patches, nothing huge, but maybe some tiny tweaks.
Well hopefully that'll be something that they might fix in an update then, lol.

Also, does anyone know how to unlock My Fairy in this version? I remember it being really weird in Legends, like you had to break a specific pot in a level or something.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the case for weapons too? I honestly never knew that, that would make life much easier.

Yup.

Well hopefully that'll be something that they might fix in an update then, lol.

Also, does anyone know how to unlock My Fairy in this version? I remember it being really weird in Legends, like you had to break a specific pot in a level or something.

Just do a few stages in the first adventure map.

They are always in brown pots in a base, you just gotta break them all in stages that have a fairy in.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So does being 30 - 60 make it stuttery? Is it smooth? If unlocking means it's not smooth and handheld performance is apparently all over the place, I may pass. Which sucks. I've been waiting for this one
It's smooth, docked and portable (obviously smoother docked). There are moments when I feel the game hits 60fps, but I'm not a framerate nazi so...