• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'm honestly surprised they never made any Seasons/Ages dlc. An adventure mode map for both would be great.
Yeah, they kinda ignored the majority of 2D games, sadly. Lack of Pig Wizard Ganon was always a major disappointment.

That's not true.
You just have to complete the first mission of each map to unlock all characters.
Eh, no, non-story mode characters are scattered across the Adventure mode maps. Some are in the first few stages, others further out. Tingle is at the top of the original map, for example (the Level 5 dungeon, or thereabouts).

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So torn about whether to grab this or not. I have FEW on cart, so I could have this digitally, ready to play, and still have BotW or something else in my slot.

Hmm...

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Musou games are about multi tasking and time management. Some people wrongly assume it's about mashing buttons, but it really isn't (though of course the combat plays big part). Ironically, it's a genre that is just as stressful as it is lethargic.

Give it a try, you just might become addicted to the genre too.
Musou games are like the first 2 Dead Rising games where you are better off not spending all your time in combat and instead getting somewhere important to get something done. Except Dead Rising fans will scream as loud as possible to remind everyone about it but somehow not Musou fans, which is why there is this reputation that Musou games are mindless, shallows brawlers.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I remember spending like 200-300 hours on the Wii U version's adventure mode.

There was one map.

Now there are 9 maps.

Holy shit.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I should buy this but i wonder if i would play it... im currently overwhelmed by games between the switch and PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Musou games are like the first 2 Dead Rising games where you are better off not spending all your time in combat and instead getting somewhere important to get something done. Except Dead Rising fans will scream as loud as possible to remind everyone about it but somehow not Musou fans, which is why there is this reputation that Musou games are mindless, shallows brawlers.
Pretty sure I've been hearing people tell me Musou games are more about strategy and resource management since the dawn of time. But it's easy to not take perceived fanboys seriously. The reviewers don't care for the games because they are, to be fair, all kind of the same. And long to boot.

Then I played one for myself and agreed that the game is much more about strategy. I've never died in a Musou game (aside from Dragon Quest Heroes) - I've usually failed the mission because I didn't manage my time effectively. If you spend all of your time owning peasant fighters you'll probably lose.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this on Wii U so I will have to pick it up soon. Hyrule Warriors was my first Musou so I thought I would love the genre but after trying other Dynasty Warriors games and even the recent Fire Emblem Warriors, thats just not the case.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
The framerate is tough to swallow, even when docked. Yeah, it's above 30 but the drops are quite severe sometimes. Played the first map and the boss introduction wasn't smooth at all, possibly even tanking below 30 fps (at least felt like it for a second or two).
Additionally the movement feels much slower compared to Fire Emblem Warriors for some reason but maybe I'm imagining things here.

Didn't play undocked yet but I'm somewhat worried. Hoping for a positive surprise in that regard, maybe the 'more stable' 30 fps is better to me than the unlocked fps rollercoaster that is docked mode.

ugh..this sucks after ready so many reviews\comments on how the framerate is "improved," really hope there is a way to lock it to 30.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty sure I've been hearing people tell me Musou games are more about strategy and resource management since the dawn of time. But it's easy to not take perceived fanboys seriously. The reviewers don't care for the games because they are, to be fair, all kind of the same. And long to boot.

Then I played one for myself and agreed that the game is much more about strategy. I've never died in a Musou game (aside from Dragon Quest Heroes) - I've usually failed the mission because I didn't manage my time effectively. If you spend all of your time owning peasant fighters you'll probably lose.

I used to make it a personal task to take down the enemy fortresses by defeating the captains and generals before going after the main enemy target to finish the mission.

I treat my Musou games as a form of controlling territories. The more blue forts on the map, means I'm winning. While I could just the same beeline to the boss target and complete the mission, it's not nearly as fun if I don't claim as much territory as possible.

I also like the missions that require you to protect a specific target or prevent a certain base from being invaded adding a degree of defensive strategy rather than a constant of offense, offense, offense.

I want to check out the Empires versions of a more recent Warriors game, because they include some Sim-like management aspects, like making civilians happy, managing war expenses, politics between the other kingdoms, etc, but the time investment might be too much.

Civilization VI is probably a great deal more complex, so I'm not quite sure if I want to get into the hundreds of hours a Warriors game entails on top of military and civilian management stuff. Sounds like a massive time sink.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The framerate is tough to swallow, even when docked. Yeah, it's above 30 but the drops are quite severe sometimes. Played the first map and the boss introduction wasn't smooth at all, possibly even tanking below 30 fps (at least felt like it for a second or two).
Additionally the movement feels much slower compared to Fire Emblem Warriors for some reason but maybe I'm imagining things here.

Didn't play undocked yet but I'm somewhat worried. Hoping for a positive surprise in that regard, maybe the 'more stable' 30 fps is better to me than the unlocked fps rollercoaster that is docked mode.
Isn't the movement intentionally slower than FEW? The characters just feel like they have more weight versus the floaty feeling everyone had in FEW.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a big Zelda fan but Hyrule Warriors has my favourite Zelda OST, absolutely. It's just fantastic with both remixes and original tracks being consistently high quality.

I wish the mainline Zelda games hadn't basically dropped melodic soundtracks during their transition to 3d. With Ocarina of Time, it was just the dungeon soundtracks and Lost Woods that went with a more muted environmental direction (but even that was a waste), but that direction seemed to become more and more dominant in later games, even Wind Waker with its bright aesthetic.

Every character in HWs moves at the same speed (even the Link riding Epona moveset only goes faster in the sense that he attacks while moving forward), while in FEWs movement was stat based.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Every character in HWs moves at the same speed (even the Link riding Epona moveset only goes faster in the sense that he attacks while moving forward), while in FEWs movement was stat based.

They may have used some of the stats from the mainline Warrior games. Stuff like Charm of Alacrity on top of stat of like 200 for speed. You could out run escaping enemy generals, when the game forces them to have a higher than normal speed stat for the sake of them trying to get away.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only Musou game I really played and liked is pirate warrior. Amazing. Which control should I take here. Musou or Zelda style ? What's the biggest differences ?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love Hyrule Warrioes but the main difference to me is the zombies are an actual threat they aren't just standing there and not attacking. If your weapons break and you're low on health you're fucked whereas enemies seem to lack even basic AI and a sense of self preservation in most Musuo games...swarms of troops literally just stand in place in a lot of cases.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I love Hyrule Warrioes but the main difference to me is the zombies are an actual threat they aren't just standing there and not attacking. If your weapons break and you're low on health you're fucked whereas enemies seem to lack even basic AI and a sense of self preservation in most Musuo games...swarms of troops literally just stand in place in a lot of cases.

I want anyone to go for gold (I think that's what it was) ranks in the U version and tell me there is no depth there, while what you say isn't incorrect, it doesn't mean there isn't something buried in there when you go deeper.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting flash backs of getting juggled to death in all the hardest settings of the orochi games now thanks

Most reviews tend to just be like you go around mashing buttons killing tons of stuff the end. So it feeds into the stigma the series has

Last edited:

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the fodder enemies having little to no ai is closer to a Nintendo Warriors thing. I found them be more annoying in other games

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
ugh..this sucks after ready so many reviews\comments on how the framerate is "improved," really hope there is a way to lock it to 30.
Yeah, the improvement really depends on whether you can deal with unlocked framerates or not. I don't like them that much, especially if they're closer to the 30 fps range rather than 50-60 (FEW was in that range e.g. and I liked it quite a lot like that).
Were I to say what gets a locked framerate and what doesn't, I'd lock anything at 30 except for games that reach 50 at the minimum. Dropping below 50 results in noticable slowdown for me at least.

I actually like the undocked mode better because of that fact - it's closer to 30 than the docked mode is to 50-60 imo.

Isn't the movement intentionally slower than FEW? The characters just feel like they have more weight versus the floaty feeling everyone had in FEW.
That's certainly true and I'm slowly adapting to it. Starting to like it a lot more by now, FEW might feel somewhat lightweight now afterwards. It's a matter of taste, I think.

Ah ok, that explains that. Thanks for the info. Yeah, FEW's chars felt different in terms of speed among each other already.

Well, quite a bunch of things one has to adapt to when switching from FEW to HW. But it's getting better and better and I love the character's unique styles. Impa is awesome imo. Standard Link (with Sword) not so much, sadly.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
This is true for FEW and HW, but not for every Musou game. In some games you can get overwhelmed pretty fast, especially in harder difficulties.

But yeah, it's one of my issues with FEW and I guess HW too.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017

To be fair, musou only got that strategic flavour after KT began introducing challenge modes in DW7 onward and when multiple character switching become a thing. Only when time become an essence and multiple objectives need to be completed simultaneously that musou finally got a proper gameplay depth besides its simplistic brawler mechanic.

His next paragraph pretty much said that the fail state are not triggered by your death to peasants, but usually bad management where you fail to secure or rescue your target in time. Besides, the actual threats are not the mooks that made up the bulk of your KOs but the officers.

Also with KT apparent focus on displaying more enemies on screen, having aggressive mooks could potentially make the game excruciating to play on higher difficulty.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Well, quite a bunch of things one has to adapt to when switching from FEW to HW. But it's getting better and better and I love the character's unique styles. Impa is awesome imo. Standard Link (with Sword) not so much, sadly.

The starting moveset for Link is limited, just wait until you get a better weapon or the Master Sword, then things get a bit more interesting.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wait, the framerate is not unlocked in portable mode? Maaaan that sucks...

I get why they do that, the battery lasts longer if you cap the framerate. But there should be a toggle. :/

Since docked mode runs at 1080p I'm sure the Switch would get similar framerates in handheld mode since it's 720p, it would run more or less the same if it was unlocked. What a shame :(

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah base sword link isn't the most exciting it's just a solid move set. Now that moveset with all the master swords perks later... wooooooooo it's a blast and op as hell
Don't forget the archer. Those arrows of DEATH.
I tried to forget tho

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, totalling them up, there are 979 adventure mode squares in total...and many of them you have to do twice to get everything in them. That's both exciting and daunting. Can't wait to jump back in.

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to delete a teammate's instructions once they've done whatever you want them to? Like I'll tell somebody to go protect a keep but I can't get them to just act independently again after that, all I can do is give them more instructions otherwise they'll just stand around doing nothing.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, musou only got that strategic flavour after KT began introducing challenge modes in DW7 onward and when multiple character switching become a thing. Only when time become an essence and multiple objectives need to be completed simultaneously that musou finally got a proper gameplay depth besides its simplistic brawler mechanic.

Actually, in the very beginning of the series those elements popped up in the main "musou/story" modes themselves. There was a rather heavy morale mechanic in earlier Dynasty Warriors games that pushed the player to run around the battlefield rescuing their troops to keep it high.

That did end up sidelined though, with the focus going to advancing to triggering the next next cutscene event. Samurai Warriors kept a side-objective system going through all of its main entries (many of them involving timed missions too), but it could be ignored if you didn't care about getting ultimate weapons.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to getting this in today, and I got he old prima guide from the vanilla game for backup.... but I'm still sad Groose never got in

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking forward to this today but the Yodel guy just drove away as he apparently couldn't be bothered coming up my stairs to my flat.

On the other hand it gives me time to finish off Doom (holy shit what a game!).

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first hour or so and yep that's the Hyrule Warriors from WiiU I remember. Only problem I have so far is trying to figure out where your character is on the map after you switch characters in handheld mode.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Text in handheld mode is really small. You immediately notice that they had time to adjust it for FEW but HW being a port isn't as nicely scaled to the smaller screen.

Aside from that handheld gameplay is very nice imo. Great transition from TV to the undocked Switch. I find it visually more pleasing, too, as the colors look really good on the Switch screen.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a blast with the game so far. I never played the other two games, so there just seems like so much content. Fire rod is super fun, Linkle is also a lot of fun to play as. I love all the portrait pieces collecting and weapon progression stuff.

FFFanatic

Nov 1, 2017
For the most part, enjoying the switch port, the bumped up framerate is a big improvement. =)

Do have a few nitpicks, hoping they'll consider a patch in the future:

- Text is VERY small, it seems like they're using the original Wii U font. Had some difficulty reading even on a big TV

- Trying to do two-player felt very clunky, at least the initial character selection. (this is the biggie for me)
On Wii U, player 2 just had to hit + while player 1 selected a character. Then player 2 could control selecting their own character, and even enter the bazaar.
On switch, I have to L3 myself, *AND* player one controls the character selection. player 2 can't do anything until mission confirmation shows up.
It got a bit annoying to constantly ask "Which character do you want me to pick for you?" =(

As I said, not counting on it, but hoping they'll consider some kinda QOL patch based on feedback.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the immediate unlocking of content, at least after the first tutorial level. Having like all the non-DLC characters after only 1 level is great, and it didn't take much longer to unlock Young Link in adventure mode.

Plays great on the tablet IMO.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Is is a locked (or close to locked) 60fps?

I only played the first level before work (~15-20 minutes) but I didn't notice any slowdown and it felt close to 60 although I don't have any real way of knowing. I just know that it felt really smooth and, at least throughout the whole level, never really felt any less smooth.

Sorry that I can't give a more substantive answer.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hey fuck these gibdos.
Holy... Just fought them for the first time and they're really annoying, painfully so. The plants on the other hand were a joke with the new weapon/tool...
___

At least docked performance seems to be really good now. The second and third maps were much smoother for me than the first. Doubt it's full 60 fps but it's close enough to not notice any slowdown.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I also wish we coul increase text size. I have a fairly big TV and sometime I struggle to read conversations.
Objectives/missions texts are fine though.

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I don't even know why I own this stupid console if even Nintendo can't get their own games running smooth. MK was good. Mario was good. I'm frustrated.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only played the first level before work (~15-20 minutes) but I didn't notice any slowdown and it felt close to 60 although I don't have any real way of knowing. I just know that it felt really smooth and, at least throughout the whole level, never really felt any less smooth.

Sorry that I can't give a more substantive answer.

No problem, thanks for the reply.

I'm getting it regardless but it's good to know the game plays smoothly.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Holy... Just fought them for the first time and they're really annoying, painfully so. The plants on the other hand were a joke with the new weapon/tool...

I think my most hated enemies in the game are Aeralfos. Just flying around and being annoying, blocking every attack with their stupid shields. Them and Dinolfos.

The worst part is that screeching sound they make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRZraobY5k