• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Zelda fan and really interested in Hyrule Warriors: AOC story but musou gameplay doesn't appeal to me. For the first time I have to say I'm interested in watching a game instead of playing it. I didn't do the same with the first HW because the story didn't interested me enough. Have you ever felt the same with a game? Which one? Any tips for better quality? (youtube, twitch...)

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah watching a game holds no interest to me. I'd play it even if I weren't normally a fan of the gameplay.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Don't get watching other people play at all. Cool for those that dig it though.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With point and click story games like The Walking Dead. There just isn't enough gameplay there for me but I like seeing the stories.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought AOC was tweeting about Hyrule Warriors for a second

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I did for most of story driven games, like Last of Us or Death Stranding, since the gameplay is pretty limited I'm having more fun watching someone else do it and I get to see their reactions as well.
Same boat for me. I️ feel like I'm about 10 years to old to have hopped on the streaming train
Well it's not a age thing unless you're in your fourties because I don't mind it.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I played about an hour of skyward sword before deciding I hated and chose to just watch a lets play instead. Im glad I did because no part of it looked fun to me but I got to "experience" the story. Might do the same with BOTW eventually since I hated that one too but have been telling myself I will try again eventually. At this point I should just find a story content video instead and hope BOTW2 is better.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I did for most of story driven games, like Last of Us or Death Stranding, since the gameplay is pretty limited I'm having more fun watching someone else do it and I get to see their reactions as well.

Well it's not a age thing unless you're in your fourties because I don't mind it.
I'm about 10 years less. Watching someone play a game wasn't that big when I️ grew up so I️ never did it. Don't see the need for me to start now

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah watching the story.

Couldn't get into the tower defense gameplay of the first game so this is a skip for me

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

Not sure how Death Stranding is a "story game"

It's like 100 hours of hiking

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch all NRS story modes, don't like how their fighters play.

Also I mean, Twitch exists so. :P

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
My wife does this all the time. I never try to understand it. I just ridicule her for it (she loves horror but won't play many games with horror elements BECAUSE of how scary they are, which I actually do understand)...

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably watch the cutscenes on Youtube, but not a whole playthrough. Watching a musou's gameplay sounds even less appealing than actually playing it :P

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Did this with Until Dawn before I had a PS4. Actually a great way to enjoy that game with an entertaining streamer. Wish I remembered his name.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't stand the constant combat arenas and bullet sponge enemies in Uncharted, but I loved the story, so eventually I gave up and just watched the rest on YouTube. Then I did the same for the sequels.

Similarly I really tried to get into Wolfenstein: The New Order and couldn't, but I liked the story so I watched it and its sequel on YouTube.

Then I did the same for Doom and Doom: Eternal.

Oh, and the Injustice games.

I also watched the story for Metal Gear Solid 4 on YouTube, to see just how bad it was. It had some cool bits, but Kojima couldn't tell a succinct, coherent story to save his life. He should let localizers do their job.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I suck at Fighters games, but played Injustice 1 for the story mode and planning to do it with FighterZ too. (Story is probably bad, but I am a Dragon Ball Z fan...)

Jul 10, 2018
My friend that I used to game with in the early 2000's watches games all most exclusively.

Can't even introduce a new game, 'oh yeah, I think I watched someone play through most of the story.'

OH okay, feel free to write it off completely then.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I watch LPs a lot, but most of the time they're of games I've played and want to see the LPer's reaction to/thoughts on. Sometimes it's your situation though -- games I know I'll never play, but am curious about.

Recently watched Tales of Berseria & Zestiria LPs, for instance. Never played those games, likely never would have, because Tales combat and pacing just don't click with me.

What I probably wouldn't do is watch a game via no commentary LP. That's boring, and I'd rather be playing.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Probably will be a first for me too. I beat Fire Emblem Warriors and it was a total slog for me. Not interested in doing that again.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I watched someone play through Paper Mario Color Splash and Origami King. I get enjoyment out of the charm of their worlds but their gameplay doesn't look appealing to me.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched plenty of Tales of playthroughs on youtube for the stories.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I've watched a few games on Giant Bomb; Deadly Premonition seemed like the perfect game to watch rather than play.

But I'm totally with you OP. I'm going to watch this Zelda game, not play it. It's cool they are letting up people play with their IP, but those games hold zero appeal for me, and slapping Zelda on it doesn't change that.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Deadly Premonition is one of those types, where I'd recommend a watch instead of a play. If you like what you see, you play it. That's how it went for me. I went into the game fully spoiled, yet stilled enjoyed my personal playthrough. Got to see more of the town and do more of the side quests.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for games I don't want to play.

Uncharted the Lost Legacy, Injustice 2 Story Mode, & Radiata Stories
I've seen several cutscenes of TLOU but not near the whole thing.

I'll probably do it for Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad cause I'm not sure I'm gonna play those....

edit
as far as tips I just watched uncharted and injustice like a movie. Straight through one night iirc. I only watched the cutscenes/dialogue.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I've watched some games that I have no interest in actually playing, usually at work while doing other things.

I can't imagine watching a musou game would be interesting at all, though. So I'll probably just skip this one.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Count me among those misinterpreting AOC lmao

As for the topic: I have a gaggle of streamers I enjoy choosing from when I'd rather watch a game than play it. I'd try finding some archives on YouTube of streamers playing Zelda and seeing what personality you can stomach and enjoy. Vinny of Vinesauce has really obnoxious "highlights" but his streams are actually really subdued and low-key. That's why I'd try looking at a chunk of an actual stream over a highlight reel.

Or just wait for someone to post the cutscenes as a movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up getting together with friends to watch each other play games quite a lot. Watching streamers or let's plays or whatever feels very similar to that to me.

I'm curious in playing AoC even thought I don't care for Warriors games. Haven't decided yet. Some parts of the gameplay seems appealing, closer to Zelda than in other Warriors games. So maybe I'd be able to get in to it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Same boat for me. I️ feel like I'm about 10 years to old to have hopped on the streaming train
It's funny when I was in High School (late 90s) I would go over to a friend's house and he would have his PS1 hooked up to a vcr and we would record our gameplay sessions on tape. Sometimes it was fun vs stuff and others was me playing stuff solo like FFVII or the FFVIII demo. I would go home and pop the tape in and rewatch some of the stuff and it was fun. I feel like if streaming was available then, I'd be all about that. Now? I just don't see myself watching people play. I get it though

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, feel like it's cheating. I need to play it. Watching is ignoring over half the game, you may as well not have experienced it at all

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, if I am interested in it enough, I'll play it, if not, I am not interested enough in it.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I've done it before to finish off games that I fell off on and didn't care to play through to the end, but I try not to.

HW: AoC is a day one buy and play for me, I stopped really enjoying Musuos around Dynasty 6 Empires (which was fun but also the death knell IMO) but Hyrule Warriors gripped me hard and firm.

Cannot wait for AoC, looking forward to another 250 hours.

OP
OP
balgajo

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched some games that I have no interest in actually playing, usually at work while doing other things.

I can't imagine watching a musou game would be interesting at all, though. So I'll probably just skip this one.
I agree that it doesn't seems to be very appealing to watch(I mean, I got bored watching the tgs stream) but at the same time I'm afraid that just watching the cutscenes may not make sense storywise.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I enjoy mussou games So I will play it, but pretending that I wasnt a fan of the gameplay I would probably just skip the game comepletely. I feel like people are expecting way too much out of the story in this game, especially when story has never really been a strong point in the zelda series. Hopefully people are happy with whatever story the game has though.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
Yep I've done that for some games that I don't have a huge interest in or that are heavily cinematic. Senua's Sacrifice, for example. Usually though I'll only watch a playthrough of a game after I've played it, if I'm interested in seeing a particular streamer's reaction to it.