• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of Musou games, but I will buy and play this if it has BOTW2 lore in it.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
thank god for that, it'd be shitty if they "tribe made entirely of women except for one man... who happens to be the ruler"

Even in the times of OoT while Ganondorf was their king, Nabooru didn't seem to give a flying fuck about his goals to the point she was trying to get rid of Koume and Kotake.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
So do we think the villains will actually be playable? It would sort of make sense to have a 'villain campaign' since we already know that they basically win

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So do we think the villains will actually be playable? It would sort of make sense to have a 'villain campaign' since we already know that they basically win
Cia, Volga and Wizzro were playable in the original Hyrule Warriors, although not until a free update not long after launch. (The Definitive Edition had them from the start, of course)

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
An elite Yiga minion makes a lot of sense as a new voiced character, especially for this genre. There have to be at least one or two less-important enemy generals to pad out the missions. In that sense, he'll be filling the same role as that forgettable OC swordsman from the original Hyrule Warriors, though hopefully with a little more personality.

The mysterious character is much more interesting, however. They have a levitating ancient machine and an eye of Ganon on their forehead, suggesting some connection to the corruption of the Guardians and Divine Beasts. They seem like a prime candidate for the fortuneteller mentioned in Rhoam's diary. The artbook might speculate that the fortuneteller was good, or even the queen, but there's technically nothing corroborating that in the game's text itself.

Also, the fact that one of the cutscenes in this trailer seemed to take place in the Yiga headquarters with no protagonists in sight suggests that we'll get a fair amount of their narrative perspective as well, perhaps through a villain campaign like HW1? That'd be extremely exciting if true.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
Cia, Volga and Wizzro were playable in the original Hyrule Warriors, although not until a free update not long after launch. (The Definitive Edition had them from the start, of course)

True, but my worry is that the playable cast seems like it's going to be a lot smaller than most Warriors games, they just focus on the main cast this time. No mention of an adventure mode either yet

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
How has a series with a death cult disguised as normal citizens that need to spill Link's blood to resurrect their dark lord since Zelda 2 always maintained an E rating?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so! I wonder if the campaign will switch between the good guys and bad guys, or if maybe the villains will have their own campaign? They do win, after all, so I hope they don't have a final battle where you "win" then get a cutscene where you lose.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Let's hope this is the fortune teller. I've always wanted that character to be evil.

Did BotW's director start with Minish Cap? Can't recall.

I'm betting Evil Dude is a new character, although Vaati is plausible since he's a recurring agent of Ganon.
The Oracle games, actually.

I think the confusing part here is that he ACTS like BotW's Kohga. I think people were expecting a master Kohga, but with a different personality to show he's a different character
People shouldn't have been expecting that, frankly. I've been saying all along that Nintendo wasn't going to make Kohga a competent villain leader.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The video being called « Untold Chronicles » + the memories like effect of BotW make me think both the Yiga and Sheikah researcher duo will be side campaigns.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Is that Yuga?

Or maybe Vaati ?

3073148847_1_5_CvzDn1Zv.png

Pics from the trailer :

xWUNql5.png

YKPhVnU.png
Holy shit you're right, that totally looks like Yuga

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
"Making A Champion" is a massive book (400+ pages) and insanely detailed. It's all official, straight from the devs. It describes a fortune teller who may have been the late queen, who led the king to discover the Guardians.
I think you're putting a bit too much stock in the theory that the fortune teller might have been the late queen. The game itself NEVER suggests that. Rhoam, when you talk to him, NEVER suggests that (and you'd think he would, since we're talking about his wife and all). Zelda, in what few interactions you have with her in the present course of the game, NEVER suggests that (and again, since we're talking about her mom, you'd think she would know). That only comes from the book, which itself only adds that line as an afterthought. The only thing we really know for sure is that the the king considered the fortune teller reliable and took this person's warnings and advice seriously.

There's lots of wiggle room for Nintendo to make the fortune teller literally anybody.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
True, but my worry is that the playable cast seems like it's going to be a lot smaller than most Warriors games, they just focus on the main cast this time. No mention of an adventure mode either yet

I'm slightly worried it'll feel small compared to Hyrule warriors, because I'm used to the game after two season passes plus an updated port with extra content. Hopefully they realise that and have enough planned, I can't be the only one.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is the "Fortune Teller" who predicted Canon's return.
youtu.be

Breath of the Wild: The Fortune Teller's DEADLY Secret!

With the release of the "Creating a Champion" book for Breath of the Wild, we have been able to get a bit more information from it regarding the lore and cha...

Someone the King trusts and ultimately betrays him... Like Agahnim.

Btw Neiteio, all your posts about Creating a Champion made me buy it. It's expensive as hell here in Brasil, but I love BotW too much.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're putting a bit too much stock in the theory that the fortune teller might have been the late queen. The game itself NEVER suggests that. Rhoam, when you talk to him, NEVER suggests that (and you'd think he would, since we're talking about his wife and all). Zelda, in what few interactions you have with her in the present course of the game, NEVER suggests that (and again, since we're talking about her mom, you'd think she would know). That only comes from the book, which itself only adds that line as an afterthought. The only thing we really know for sure is that the the king considered the fortune teller reliable and took this person's warnings and advice seriously.

There's lots of wiggle room for Nintendo to make the fortune teller literally anybody.
No need to be yelling at me in all-caps, I was just pointing out what the official book said was a possibility. Send your angry letters to Nintendo, not Neiteio!

Dec 20, 2017
The red jewel on the mystery persons forehead is similar to Urbosas.

My crazy theory, Zeldas mom is Gerudo (reason why Urbosa knows her mom well), found calamity Ganons ruins under the castle and got corrupted. Maybe the reason why she had the Yiga clan attack Gerudo town in the treehouse playthrough.
I don't think Zelda's mom was Gerudo, but it could still be her. Creating a Champion speculates that they fortune teller was really the queen, on account of the fact that she had the magical powers and that no one else would have been trusted enough for their prophecy to be acted upon. What makes me think this character is Zelda's mom is that her hair appears to be blonde- it's a distinct design choice and I can't actually think of any Zelda villains who had blonde (as opposed to white) hair.

Of course it could just be a trick of the lightning and their hair is actually white. On a different note, I'm surprised that no one is really speculating that it could be Ghirahim. Skyward Sword was the most directly referenced predecessor in Breath of the Wild (Hylia's secret temple being clearly the remains of Skyloft, the Dragon springs being copy pasted from Skyward Sword's story, Fi's cameo when Zelda talks to the master sword). Ghirahim is one of the few previous villains who could plausibly still be alive, the character'a eyes appear to have makeup similar to the sort that Ghirahim wore in SS, and the character's build roughly matches up with Ghirahim's.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Zant, Ghiram and Gannondorf were all playable in the base game though. That's probably a better parallel

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If that mystery character is the fortune teller, King Rhoam will join a long line of videogame rulers being tricked into the downfall by their advisers.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zant, Ghiram and Gannondorf were all playable in the base game though. That's probably a better parallel
Yep. Plus there were multiple story chapters where you got to play as Ganondorf rising to power. I think it's safe to say there will be canon stages in the story where we play as the villains.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I need to get that Creating a Champion book. It sounds like a lot of stuff in Age of Calamity came from it.
If you're a Zelda fan, you owe it to yourself to get that book ASAP.

I just hope Age of Calamity sticks to the material in it and doesn't start making up its own stuff.

It's always funny to me how BotW's story was so hated on for not being cinematic and linear when it's EASILY the most effort put into its lore and history than any other Zelda game. We could all theorize for hours. There's a whole 400+ page book about it
I've always been amused by this, as well. Nintendo put more thought and effort into creating the story for BotW than they ever have for any other Zelda game.

I'm curious how the end game will be handled. According to "Creating A Champion," the bulk of Hyrule's army retreated to Akkala Citadel when the Guardians turned, where they fought their last stand. Meanwhile, Guardians pursued Zelda and Link across the Blatchery Plains where the Battle of Fort Hateno took place. So those are two major end-game missions right there.

But I could also see another mission where Link is taken to the Shrine of the Resurrection. There are scrapped Guardians on the Great Plateau, and something destroyed the Temple of Time as well as numerous nearby buildings, columns, stairways, etc. Even the exterior cliffs of the Great Plateau, which are carved with ornate architecture, have extensive damage, suggesting they were under siege at some point.

I can also see the end-game featuring a mission inside Hyrule Castle — according to "Creating A Champion," King Rhoam dies here, at the start of the Calamity, and he likely goes down fighting.

Likewise, I could see a mission in Castle Town that ends with the Guardians turning, and then another mission in Hyrule Field, where the Divine Beasts show up (we see Urbosa piloting Naboris into what appears to be Hyrule Field, although I would need to check the landmarks, i.e. the cardinal direction relative to the Gerudo Highlands in the distance).

I wonder what sort of mission (if any) might frame the deaths of the four Champions. They might recycle maps by having the Champions return to their respective regions at night to defend the homeland, only for the Blight to emerge from their Divine Beast and kill them (a possible boss battle, perhaps).

And I imagine Zelda will have a mission where she returns to the castle with her newfound powers.
Nintendo's missing a tremendous opportunity if the game's Main Event is anything other "Zelda vs. Ganon."

No need to be yelling at me in all-caps, I was just pointing out what the official book said was a possibility. Send your angry letters to Nintendo, not Neiteio!
I wasn't yelling, I was just emphasizing. Maybe I should have used italics instead. It's just that I've seen you mention this theory a bunch of times now and I wanted to point out that there's nothing in the game itself suggesting this, but only a single line that comes from the book. It doesn't even make sense, because if the fortune-teller really was the queen you'd think Rhoam would say so. He is the one who tells Link about all this, after all, in very matter-of-fact fashion There's nothing in his speech that indicates the fortune teller was his own wife at all.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't yelling, I was just emphasizing. Maybe I should have used italics instead. It's just that I've seen you mention this theory a bunch of times now and I wanted to point out that there's nothing in the game itself suggesting this, but only a single line that comes from the book. It doesn't even make sense, because if the fortune-teller really was the queen you'd think Rhoam would say so. He is the one who tells Link about all this, after all, in very matter-of-fact fashion There's nothing in his speech that indicates the fortune teller was his own wife at all.
Right, but it's absolutely worth noting what the book says because the book's info is directly from the Zelda team. They leave open other possibilities, but it's curious they posited the queen.

Here's an excerpt from the book:

The fortune teller was a trusted adviser of King Rhoam and predicted the revival of Calamity Ganon and the existence of the ancient relics.

The reason we know that the fortune teller must have been a trusted aid or a high-ranking official is because the king believed the prophecy and acted on it. Alternatively, it's possible that the fortune teller may have been the queen of Hyrule. Women of the royal family have the sacred power to seal but have also been known to have premonitions, Though these theories are speculation, it is difficult to imagine the king believing the words of a common prophet and bringing all of the resources of the nation to act upon those words.

It is impossible to know the fortune teller's identity, since no documentation remains that reveals that information. He or she either perished with the kingdom, was ousted because his or her powers were feared, or went into hiding. However, it is because of this fortune teller's prediction that it was possible to prepare for Calamity Canon's revival at all. The fortune teller is a person of great importance in the history of Hyrule, even if his or her name remains unknown.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Right, but it's absolutely worth noting what the book says because the book's info is directly from the Zelda team. They leave open other possibilities, but it's curious they posited the queen.

The fortune teller was a trusted adviser of King Rhoam and predicted the revival of Calamity Ganon and the existence of the ancient relics.

The reason we know that the fortune teller must have been a trusted aid or a high-ranking official is because the king believed the prophecy and acted on it. Alternatively, it's possible that the fortune teller may have been the queen of Hyrule. Women of the royal family have the sacred power to seal but have also been known to have premonitions, Though these theories are speculation, it is difficult to imagine the king believing the words of a common prophet and bringing all of the resources of the nation to act upon those words.

It is impossible to know the fortune teller's identity, since no documentation remains that reveals that information. He or she either perished with the kingdom, was ousted because his or her powers were feared, or went into hiding. However, it is because of this fortune teller's prediction that it was possible to prepare for Calamity Canon's revival at all. The fortune teller is a person of great importance in the history of Hyrule, even if his or her name remains unknown.
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying, let's be careful about going gung-ho with the fortune teller being the queen theory, since it seems to go against how the information is actually presented in the game, which should be our highest authority, even moreso than the book. Based on the way both Rhoam and Zelda present themselves in the story, it doesn't seem likely to me that the queen was the fortune teller. I have a hard time believing neither one of them would see fit to mention that if it were the case. If it does turn out to be so, then I would say it's probably something Nintendo changed after BotW's development concluded. Right now I like the idea that the fortune teller was the exiled 8th Gerudo Heroine-turned-Yiga traitor a lot more than that she was the queen. This seems to fit the context and lore of BotW's story and history a lot better.

But I wasn't yelling, and I wasn't trying to be rude. If I came across that way, I apologize.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

For some reason this actually convinces me more that it isn't the queen, and that it is someone mysterious we haven't met.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying, let's be careful about going gung-ho with the fortune teller being the queen theory, since it seems to go against how the information is actually presented in the game, which should be our highest authority, even moreso than the book. Based on the way both Rhoam and Zelda present themselves in the story, it doesn't seem likely to me that the queen was the fortune teller. I have a hard time believing neither one of them would see fit to mention that if it were the case. If it does turn out to be so, then I would say it's probably something Nintendo changed after BotW's development concluded. Right now I like the idea that the fortune teller was the exiled 8th Gerudo Heroine-turned-Yiga traitor a lot more than that she was the queen. This seems to fit the context and lore of BotW's story and history a lot better.

But I wasn't yelling, and I wasn't trying to be rude. If I came across that way, I apologize.
I wasn't bothered. Glad you're not upset, tho.

And I'm not saying I think it's the queen. But it's worth mentioning since Nintendo called it out as a possibility.

The book probably is the most complete take since it was compiled after the full development of the game -and- the DLC. It is the most comprehensive account of the canon.

Even so -- Nintendo left themselves plenty of flexibility here. It could be anyone.

thatjesushair

Mar 21, 2019
Has there been any confirmation of JP voices available in western versions of the game?

Spoiled on the JP voice acting from BotW

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Awesome teaser! I hope villains will be playable again and that Kohga is one of them!

The person at the end could be a woman, we can't really tell yet. Very interesting to see the Gerudo symbol on their cape. We could also see the same character on the left when Kohga was sitting at a desk or whatever it was.
Is that an evil Gerudo? Or a male Gerudo other than Ganon? We've never seen another generation of a male Gerudo before, would be awesome if they introduced one now. It could also be a completely different character/race since this character doesn't appear to be dark-skinned. Unless that's some face paint.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Sheik is a male presenting sheikah disguise, created by magic to help hide the fact that, you know, that was the identity Princess Zelda used to hide from Ganondorf for 7 years. Sheik is outwardly presented as a male character at any rate, because it was part of a disguise. I think ruto explicitly calls them a "young male sheikah" when you meet her in the water temple.

And in the same world where depending on intent, you can transform to different races/animals/ giant monsters/basically anything by magic, I don't see why we would also assume that another magic transformation didn't... Go all the way? To be a bit blunt.

I'm sure this argument has been done many times before though.
Nope. Sheik is not male.

I was memeing but glad to see the topic is still disagreed upon to this day

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
If this is a Gerudo, it almost certainly has to be a woman. There hasn't been a male Gerudo born since Ganondorf (likely 'cause Ganondorf is technically still alive in the ground underneath Hyrule Castle). If that's the case, it can't be Zelda's mom, or else Zelda would have Gerudo traits (which she most definitely does not). That's assuming Gerudo genes are dominant, which they would have to be in order to keep making more Gerudos despite them constantly marrying and procreating with Hylians. If Nintendo is going to be consistent with its own internal logic (which, by all means, they don't have to be), then this person, if it is a Gerudo, can't be Zelda's mom.

If this person is not a Gerudo, though, then anything goes.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda's mother dies when she is six. It's a pivotal moment in her life. If that character is the fortune-teller, it can't be the the queen. (I also agree with what with said about the game contradicting the book's speculation here.)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda's mother dies when she is six. It's a pivotal moment in her life. If that character is the fortune-teller, it can't be the the queen. (I also agree with what with said about the game contradicting the book's speculation here.)
The book was written by the people who wrote the game, after the DLC was completed. The book says it's possible, so we'll have to wait and see what they decided in the end.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
The book was written by the people who wrote the game, after the DLC was completed. The book says it's possible, so we'll have to wait and see what they decided in the end.
I know, I'm just saying I agree that the two texts contradict each other.

I don't think they can wiggle out of the queen's death, though. Urbosa's trailer (and her DLC story) even emphasized the relationship she has with Zelda as a consequence of it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I'm just saying I agree that the two texts contradict each other.

I don't think they can wiggle out of the queen's death, though. Urbosa's trailer (and her DLC story) even emphasized the relationship she has with Zelda as a consequence of it.
My guess is that it's not the queen, but rather some new character -- although I do wonder how this individual gains the king's trust

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Story mode seems to be basically taking Adventure mode into itself this time (like how the last gameplay demo showed weapon locked missions). This does throw a big question mark regarding playable characters, since if everything is done in story mode you'd think everything would be canon, with no extra characters separate from the story.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Story mode seems to be basically taking Adventure mode into itself this time (like how the last gameplay demo showed weapon locked missions). This does throw a big question mark regarding playable characters, since if everything is done in story mode you'd think everything would be canon, with no extra characters separate from the story.
My guess is that, if Adventure Mode is incorporated into Story Mode this time around, there will be lots of "maybe this happened" type missions where non-pivotal characters are possibly doing things that don't end up making a huge impact in the main history in the end. This is assuming that the whole game will be structured as a series of flashbacks, as if a character, say Zelda herself, is relating the events of the past from personal experience. Zelda could say something like, "I think around this time this person must've gone here or there to do this or that," and we could play through a chapter based on Zelda's (or whoever the storyteller is) speculation about what must've happened.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean not nessecarily, If it's narrated by a third party like say Kass' mentor the story could cover both sides. Or heck it could just cover both sides period with a map change/corruption

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
My guess is that it's not the queen, but rather some new character -- although I do wonder how this individual gains the king's trust
What gives me pause to the "obviously evil vibe" the char gave in trailer, is the thing where the book describes the fortune teller as a "savior from the shadows".

Of course, that could be an embellishment for the sake of leaving it open-ended for Nintendo's writers, but it makes me think the teller isn't evil.

Maybe they're playing the long game that errs on the side of good, even if it does also mean setting up events that lead to Hyrule's downfall.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
What gives me pause to the "obviously evil vibe" the char gave in trailer, is the thing where the book describes the fortune teller as a "savior from the shadows".

Of course, that could be an embellishment for the sake of leaving it open-ended for Nintendo's writers, but it makes me think the teller isn't evil.

Maybe they're playing the long game that errs on the side of good, even if it does also mean setting up events that lead to Hyrule's downfall.
The book itself seemed to come down pretty hard on the idea that whoever the fortune teller was, it had to be a good person, or else the king wouldn't have trusted them and followed their advice. The idea that the fortune teller might have deceived the king seems not to have occurred to Nintendo, at least from how the Creating a Champion book presents it.

Personally, I've always seen the fortune teller as being secretly evil, as otherwise the entire plot of BotW doesn't make any sense. The set-up only works if the fortune-teller was attempting to bring about the downfall of Hyrule by manipulating the royal family into bringing about its own destruction. But my guess is that Nintendo will be reluctant to let the king and/or Zelda be shown to have been fooled by such a deceiver.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an interesting theory.

I don't think it's Midna but a Twili could be neat.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the world map being the mission select screen does make it seem like it'll serve as the adventure mode for this game. That just makes me a little worried about the variety of content in this. I was hoping that a side adventure mode would be able to incorporate some enemies or characters from other Zelda games to help keep things fresh.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I know I am on the minority, but I wish they would only add characters that are key to the trilogy. if they want to add fan service just make Hyrule Warriors 2.