• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hahah, yup new original villains. And considering the space on the character select hopefully all playable too

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The mysterious character could definitely play a role in some behind the scenes master plan that Calamity Ganon was just a part of, yeah

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019

Do you find it good or bad?

I actually so far feel like - at least for the new characters - they've improved the direction for the English.

The Japanese version, Kohga has this really theatrical voice and speaks in like...idk how to describe, kinda like the Shakespeare equivalent for English? so I can vibe with the English adaptation of it.

That would result in a paradox imo. Dorf's Demise reincarnation, so if the mummy under the castle wouldn't be him, why would Calamity-Ganon exist if there is no reincarnation of Demise around?

Oh, true. I guess i just hope they pull something unexpected!

I'm excited for a human villain though - maybe this is the fortune teller? One of the two things I actually liked from Skyward Sword was Ghirahim (the other was Impa haha), so this has me intriged

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, the start of the trailer looks like a playable character victory scene

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
In the end, KT and Nintendo totally prank us and it's actually a BotW version of Agahnim and just like in ALttP a part of Ganondorf's soul/power. ^^

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda historians, keep me honest.

Can there be a male Gerudo who is NOT Ganondorf?
It's inconsistent, a Gerudo male is born every 100 years or so, but some sources say that one hasn't been born since Ganondorf. BotW seems to indicate the occasional Gerudo male pops up, since they have a full clothing Style for them.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
And like Hyrule Warriors, I bet the bad guys will be playable post-game.
They could also be side missions/endgame missions as well. I mean playable post story for sure but there could be side story missions from the villain perspective, that's what the end of the trailer felt like

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one at the end has a Gerudo emblem on his back.

Maybe it's a non-Ganondorf evil male Gerudo.
Some previous Ganon lackeys used the Gerudo emblem even not being Gerudo themselves, so that doesn't mean much. Example:
Onox_clear.png

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So regardless of the characters identity, do we all think it's the fortune teller at least?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's a girl.

Zelda's female villains consist solely of Veran, Hilda, and Twinrova.... so

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't recall, do the BotW Gerudo themselves use the OoT Gerudo Emblem?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
They also showed a new Yiga villain in addition to Kohga

One possibility is that we've only seen bog-standard generic Yiga soldiers now, and presumably there's some strong-but-not-named-character Yiga unit to act as a general for the smaller forces. It could conceivably be the model for that role rather than a formal character.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
why's Kohga look exactly the same 100 years later but Impa's a little raisin

wonder if he's Kohga Sr.

Cyple

Jan 9, 2018
One thing to note I recognized, in the short clip of Vaati/Yuga in the room with Kohga, the view is obscured to not show the Gerudo symbol until we see it later. Whomever this is might be playing both sides for Ganon.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing BotW lately, currently at 425 hours and 700 Korok seeds. Game is still as magical to me as it was when I first played it.

I am BEYOND HYPED for this shit

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Quick reminder that the director of Breath of the Wild was also the director of Minish Cap. Nintendo absorbed the Zelda part of Flagship so it wouldn't be surprising to see them bring back their own villain in some form.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Not counting alternate timelines, there's only one Ganondorf (the OG from Ocarina of Time). So the Gerudo males before and after him would be other people.

I think Four Swords Adventures had a second Gerudo turn into Ganondorf or something but... it's FSA.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Beedle? Impa? Epona? The Great Fairies? The Deku Tree? There's more than just the Triforce characters. And obviously, even if it was just the 3, they could add more.
All characters who were previously shown to be reoccurring was my point, I didn't say I listed them all. Vaati is more believable than Yuga because he goes MC-FS-FSA. But Yuga I really think they aren't bringing back unless all of Lorule coming back is the master plan. Which, maybe that is for BotW2! Idk.

One possibility is that we've only seen bog-standard generic Yiga soldiers now, and presumably there's some strong-but-not-named-character Yiga unit to act as a general for the smaller forces. It could conceivably be the model for that role rather than a formal character.
itdoes say, in reference to the buff Yiga "a loyal new ally" plus he's voiced, so I think at least one is a character

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
itdoes say, in reference to the buff Yiga "a loyal new ally" plus he's voiced, so I think at least one is a character

Ah, fair, I'd misparsed the "Loyal new ally" and the "Ominous figure" as referring to the same person, but you're right that that's not quite what the text says.

(Although I'm not sure I'd refer to an existing Yiga clan member as a new ally... unless possibly it's someone who joins up with the Yiga during the narrative? In which case, I wonder if they might be someone else under the mask?)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
At the start of the video, that looks like the garrison just east of the Great Plateau. You can see the plateau in the background. And on the Treehouse stream, there was a mission icon around there. Maybe this takes place prior to the Gerudo Town mission, while Link and Zelda are traveling south.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Both these most recent trailers showed three characters each

- Robbie
- Purah
- King Rhoam

- Kohga
- Buff Yiga
- Ominous Figure

I wonder if they're all playable?

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you all for the replies! I realize what I was trying to say was, "Can there be a male Gerudo who is not the incarnation of Demise?" I recognize Ganondorf is just the one dude.

And it turns out the answer is yes! Which makes sense. A great evil every 100 years seems exhausting.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's actually the BotW version of Koume, the red witch that makes up Twinrova.
I've wanted them to come back for sooo long. With BotW bringing back the Gerudo after years, I thought it would finally be their chance. And it was perfect since BotW could've used a villain other than force of nature Ganon in the castle.

If they're really up to some master plan OOS/OOA style that would be so cool!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The evil dude at the end has an Ancient Core atop his scepter, but it's purple like a corrupted Guardian instead of gold.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, fair, I'd misparsed the "Loyal new ally" and the "Ominous figure" as referring to the same person, but you're right that that's not quite what the text says.

(Although I'm not sure I'd refer to an existing Yiga clan member as a new ally... unless possibly it's someone who joins up with the Yiga during the narrative? In which case, I wonder if they might be someone else under the mask?)
I figured that just meant new as in, we didn't see him in BotW so he's a new character to us. But yeah, could be that too!

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
Oh I didn't notice at first but the new character is also in the trailer at around :22 where kohga & the new ally are together

looks like a guy to me

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Both these most recent trailers showed three characters each

- Robbie
- Purah
- King Rhoam

- Kohga
- Buff Yiga
- Ominous Figure

I wonder if they're all playable?
In a Warriors game, I very much expect them to be. Maybe not (all of them) in story mode, but surely in the free play modes.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
One thing to note I recognized, in the short clip of Vaati/Yuga in the room with Kohga, the view is obscured to not show the Gerudo symbol until we see it later. Whomever this is might be playing both sides for Ganon.

Quite possibly. From the design and mystic elements, this being is quite surely the foreteller that saw the return of Calamity Ganon and warned the King. All while utilizing the Yiga Clan to perform the needed rituals to unleash the Calamity. So a Agahnim that this times plays both sides like a fiddle to bring forth its master's return.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Did BotW's director start with Minish Cap? Can't recall.

I'm betting Evil Dude is a new character, although Vaati is plausible since he's a recurring agent of Ganon.