• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I mean, they also made Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch and that had online multiplayer...along other games for Nintendo.

So "is Nintendo" doesn't apply in this case. :p

But who knows, maybe they have data that shows is not worth the effort? Is like Mortal Kombat; were they removed tag team because their data showed people barely used it and the time and resources involved into balancing it were not worth it...and people still ask them to implement it back (fully -MK11 has it across a few modes/matches) just because.

The option would be nice; but is not like they haven't done online multiplayer on Switch or that Nintendo told them not to.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I disagree, local multiplayer costs no money to uphold,bwhile online costs a decent amount of money to uphold. But to each their own.
Yeah my primary concern is normally that the publisher saves money by stripping out basic features at the expense of the player's experience, too. Nintendo cannot afford such luxuries with a niche IP like Zelda at this juncture.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Here comes the defense force. Keep paying for inferior products and I'm sure Nintendo will be quick to change to be more inclusive of people that don't/can't meet up IRL to play.

Using phrases like "defense force" and "shoveling shit" won't really help you get your point across, it makes you sound more like a toxic console warrior.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
You posted so quick I doubt you read the OP anyway, but sweet so you're just straight happy that people like me and my friend get screwed out what should be a basic feature in 2020. Thanks for the useless selfish take, ass.
Yeah uh... OP shouldn't be banned for this. He's just upset that there isn't online multiplayer in this game. 3 days is overkill. I mean c'mon now. I'm NOT attacking the mods. 3 days is just overkill. Give him a warning or something instead.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
I'm so glad you are the sole arbiter of how people should play games.

There is no one who would enjoy playing a platformers online.

Certainly no one who is in quarantined.

Certainly no one who is laid up in a hospital.

Certainly no one who is less strict about gameplay in lag as you must not exist on this wide green earth.

Never you mind we aren't even talking about platformers in the first place.
Even though Donkey Kong wasn't the point, OP mentioned it. I simply stated that I don't think all games need to have online multiplayer. There's no reason to be extra salty.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's really no excuse for all Nintendo's Musou games not supporting online coop when all other Musou do. But you're complaining in the wrong forum. Era members proud themselves about having no friends to play videogames with.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Using phrases like "defense force" and "shoveling shit" won't really help you get your point across, it makes you sound more like a toxic console warrior.

I'm a PC player and I own every console. I've worked on a game that released on Switch. Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize what I see as continual failings by Nintendo.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What about Mario Maker 2? Or the occasional hitches in Mario Kart and ARMS?
No online game is perfect. Never played maker 2 online, but never had much issue with kart. Arms is actually one of the better online games for a fighting game that doesn't (apparently) use rollback netcode. Some people are even convinced it does due to how good it is.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I couldn't agree more OP

ESP as we pay for online now

I do t know what is going on at Nintendo these days - they have removed any kind of Amiibo functionality from games yet stil release new ones

games that run poorly like Lunks Awakening - totally ignored

I really don't like it one bit and I agree with you 'oh it's nintendo' doesn't wash anymore

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its kinda crazy that theya are still doing offline co-op in this game. It may have been easier to not do offline co-op and just do online only. Im curious to see the slowdown that will happen it kinda helps this type of games moments to me haha. These types of games are great in Co-Op.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Answer: all the people in this thread who believe every single decision Nintendo makes is the right one
Heh the funny thing is that most people responding in this thread agree that online MP would be a nice addition.
Yet, unless you are willing to light a Nintendo HQ building on fire about it you are gonna be painted as some apologist or defender.
There are more shades than Black and White.

'Launching a console without a big new first party exclusive is unacceptable'
'But most people picking up a Series S/X (including me) are gonna be happy playing games from GamePass and new 3rdParty releases'
"No i decided its unacceptable and if you are still buying a Xbox this fall you are a MS apologist'
'Erm okay'

Thread with a valid point turned quickly into the usual console war exxegaration because people want to turn everything into a Holy War about plattform holders and how good or bad they been treating you.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Same boat as others here: it sucks it ain't there and it'd be really nice to have (IMO all of these musou games benefit letting you have a buddy) but it isn't a dealbreaker.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
AoC has already been confirmed to have local multiplayer, yet no online.

200.gif

I am so, so fucking sick of giving Nintendo a pass on this shit. Especially in times like these.

-The Dynasty Warriors series and it's spin-offs have had online multiplayer as part of nearly every one of their games for OVER A DECADE.

-You know what games in this criteria and time frame don't have online multiplayer? The Nintendo ones. Hyrule Warriors (2014), Fire Emblem Warriors (2017), and Hyrule Warriors Legends/Switch (2016/2018).

-As far as I can tell, aside from the ones that only offer single player (aka Persona 5 Scramble) and possibly a few stragglers I missed from the early 2010's (although I'm really not sure if there are any), these are the ONLY games in this group that have not featured online multiplayer. So please don't come in with the "IT'S GOTTA BE KOEI'S DOING NO WAY GORGEOUS SEXY NINTENDO WOULD HAVE A SAY IN THIS EVEN THOUGH THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME".

This is fucking bullshit. And along with the last point, for the love of god don't post senseless purely defensive options like "it doesn't need it" or "no one even cares".

My best friend was my former roommate. When Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U came out, 85% of the time we played it in co-op. It was an absolute blast. Nearly every single day after work, we'd start chipping away at adventure mode. Some of the best gaming memories of my life, really.

When Hyrule Warriors re-released on the Switch, we were pumped. But we don't live together anymore, and the game (fucking SOMEHOW) did not include online multiplayer in the update to the Switch. We debated it but especially since we'd already played it so much before, neither of us bought it, when we would have in a heartbeat if it had online. Fuck we probably would have bought Fire Emblem Warriors if it had online even though we don't give much of a shit about FE, but of course it also didn't fucking have it for some god damn reason.

Now, here comes the release of AoC. That same friend loved BotW more than he's ever loved a Zelda game before. Combine that with his love for HW, and needless to say he and I were ecstatic at the announcement. But that joy was quickly deflated when we learned it only had local co-op. During this pandemic, we're even less likely to see each other if at all. Being able to play this game with him online would have been a warm, cozy house in the middle of a fucking shit storm. So it may not mean a lot to you, but it means a hell of a lot to me and I'm sure there are plenty of others in a similar boat. Don't be a jerk.

Yet alas, even though the Switch's whole deal is that being able to play on your own individual console is awesome, even though we're in the middle of a pandemic, even though it's fucking 2020 and it's CRAZY THAT THIS IS STILL A THING, AoC does not have online multiplayer. "Pass a joycon to a friend!!" they say. Fuck you I say.

Games Nintendo have released recently (or are releasing shortly) that have no online when they absolutely fucking should have:

-Every Wii U port besides 3D World. That they charge 60$ for

-Tropical Freeze

-NSMBU

-Pikmin 3

-Hyrule Warriors

-Fire Emblem Warriors

-Kirby Star Allies

-Super Mario Party (yeah it's got a shit online mode but let's be real it doesn't count).

-Yoshi's Crafted World

And that's not even counting the games that have online multiplayer, but are severely limited in basic features, like playing with friends. Such as the recently released Super Mario Bros. 35.

Super Mario 3D World is gonna have online, and that was extremely surprising and wonderful announcement. But it should not be that surprising that they're finally doing with that game what they should have done with all these others. This should be the rule, not the exception.

I know everyone is hype for a new Zelda game, but don't feel like you can't ask questions just because it's something you want so bad. That's what they want. I know I for one am beyond done on this shit and I won't be picking up the game at launch. I want answers.

200.gif

Dude. Calm down. Musou online isnt generally good on any console. Knowing this and seein it on switch was probably enough to CORRECTLY not put it in.

A poorly implemented mode is FAR WORSE than not implementing it at all. It costs time and resources and not only adds nothing when its bad but it takes away from what is there already.

Hell multiple musou online systems had you seein folk somewhere on your screen they were nowhere near and often youd desync and both kill the same officer so itd go nuts calculating stuff goin up and down on kills. Even pickups got out of whack in this series online.

So chill. This aint "how can Nintendo get away with it!?" Time here. Its more like how can koei get its rampant history of bad musou online lag and desync issues in check.

Just be glad two player split screen works in this title because for years that was also busted and shared some of the online modes issues. Mainly it made spawn rates so slow and awful youd run out of time trying to get officers and generals to appear.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ I don't even care too much for the game (found Hyrule Warriors kinda fun at kiosks but doubt I'd ever have fun long term, especially for $60), but some of the takes here are fucking awful.

How the fuck can people defend basic features being missing from the game using the excuse of "Eh, I don't use it"? May as well remove every character from the game but Link and Zelda, since you won't use anybody else, or remove Pro Controller support from the game because, well, those are too expensive anyway.

I wasn't aware Nintendo developed the game...
Nintendo, as the publisher and licenser of the game, can make any demand they want to the developer and they have to comply or the contract can be terminated. If Nintendo says "Add Pikachu to the game" and KT says no, Nintendo can just pull the rug out from under them and end the project completely. What's the worst that can happen to them, Nintendo loses a few million from an early termination? They've lost worse, and I'm sure they have plenty of stipulations added to the contract anyway to make it so their will is as strongly imposed as possible.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ I don't even care too much for the game (found Hyrule Warriors kinda fun at kiosks but doubt I'd ever have fun long term, especially for $60), but some of the takes here are fucking awful.

How the fuck can people defend basic features being missing from the game using the excuse of "Eh, I don't use it"? May as well remove every character from the game but Link and Zelda, since you won't use anybody else, or remove Pro Controller support from the game because, well, those are too expensive anyway.

Nintendo, as the publisher and licenser of the game, can make any demand they want to the developer and they have to comply or the contract can be terminated. If Nintendo says "Add Pikachu to the game" and KT says no, Nintendo can just pull the rug out from under them and end the project completely. What's the worst that can happen to them, Nintendo loses a few million from an early termination? They've lost worse, and I'm sure they have plenty of stipulations added to the contract anyway to make it so their will is as strongly imposed as possible.

Right or wrong, it seems the issue is that Nintendo doesn't view it as basic features. It seems a lot of their consumers agree.

It seems to me that Nintendo tends to view certain games as online multiplayer types and others as single player or coop multiplayer.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I know ill still be gettin the game because in musou online dont add shit.

Online has never been a draw in the musou series period. Its neat for adventure maps in theory but in reality their online is never good and anything that makes spawn rates slow to a crawl where clearing keeps and generals fast for s ranking quickly means time is a factor. Its not easier by jumping online and then crippling the stages spawn rates so online isnt really useful.

Koei Admitting that their musou online is expensive to even attempt and always so lackluster you may as well cut it is a good call imo. Now they can focus their time and resources into the gameplay and content more. Which given what a step back dw9, orochi 4 and warriors all stars were is much needed. When koei comes out and says in an interview before their anniversary that they ventured too far on gimmicks and iffy mechanics and its hurt them lately it tells you they need all the effort they can spare on gameplay.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I will never understand hardcore fanboyism. Defending games, sure. But ignoring flaws that have otherwise been considered staples for years on end is just asinine.

How does this even make sense? What console is the implied allegiance to??? The only console warrior implications I see are from the people blindly defending blatant faults like this. No one has a vendetta against Nintendo just because they call out the obvious. That accusation makes entirely no sense.

If I see two people, one of which who defends various weird action a company makes and a person calling out blatant mishaps, I'm not going to call the later the fanboy out of the two of them lol

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I definitely don't understand this mindset but I don't think about things only if they are something I enjoy/use or not.
Additional features, especially if they are as huge as online multiplayer often come at the cost of other possible content I might care more about (and to care more about something than online multiplayer is a very low threshold), so I have no desire to urge any developer to invest into online multiplayer. The question was why it is accetable to not have multiplayer, and while I am not up in arms about a possible inclusion of online multiplayer (as long as it does not hurt the always offline singleplayer experience), I have no trouble accepting the absence of online mp. Do you find the absence of features that you don't use anyway (and are not accessibility features) unacceptable?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Why does this game need online?

It's a BOTW prequel more than a musou, so IMO it doesn't even need multiplayer at all.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know it had *local* MP. LOL Not a feature I care about, but I can see how this would be annoying to those who want to play online.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
While online would DEFINITELY be nice to have , I'm sure it came down to what they could feasibly deliver on time.

They probably prioritized things other than online - which is REALLY hard to deliver with a good QoS - in the turnaround that they had, and figured that it was an acceptable sacrifice. The amount of people who actually do online multiplayer is probably so negligible that it wasn't worth the effort.

I totally understand the disappointment and I think it's really fair to find it a shame, but I also understand the constraints and debates that go behind these decisions so I'm not outraged.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Why? the performance of all of them is shit
I don't think I implied I wanted garbage online; I'm surprised I have to clarify. It should be standard for DW games to have good online, considering I love the local co-op in them and have since DW2.
Why does this game need online?
Because it has multiplayer, and we're still in a pandemic. I ain't inviting friends over to play in my living room.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Because it has multiplayer, and we're still in a pandemic. I ain't inviting friends over to play in my living room.
It does? Honestly didn't know that.

Then it probably should have online but again, being a BOTW prequel, I would never play it like that so I very much excuse it not being there.