• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Why? I'd rather the devs not use resources on it when they could be working on other parts of the game. I'd never touch it
Nintendo isn't an indie company. They don't have to choose between having online or making the game better.

Last edited:

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo.
Underpowered hardware, first party games staying full price all their lifetime, subpar online, no integrated vocal, no achievements... the list goes on.

It will sell millions.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Would it be nice? Yes. A necessity? No, not every game needs multiplayer. I'm super excited for it, Hyrule Warriors is low key a hidden gem that's mostly overlooked when talking about Switch games.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo.
Underpowered hardware, first party games staying full price all their lifetime, subpar online, no integrated vocal, no achievements... the list goes on.

It will sell millions.

I was gonna say something very similar. Why would I treat you better when I can treat you like this and still receive your full support?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually had no idea that this game even had a local MP component to begin with. I'm planning to play it purely as a SP experience, but with the context given in the OP regarding other Musou titles, yeah it's a shame it's not in this game as well. I'm still getting it, but I get your point.
No online multiplayer?

Day 1 purchase.
Now this? This is an absolutely terrible take. "No mode I can simply choose to ignore if it was there? Must buy it to spite on your argument, OP!".

Oct 28, 2019
"-The Dynasty Warriors series and it's spin-offs have had online multiplayer as part of nearly every one of their games for OVER A DECADE.

-You know what games in this criteria and time frame don't have online multiplayer? The Nintendo ones. Hyrule Warriors (2014), Fire Emblem Warriors (2017), and Hyrule Warriors Legends/Switch (2016/2018)."

This is pretty damning lol

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying not every game needs multi-player, no shit but in something like this it would be very nice. Especially in the state of the world right now. Not like they can't afford it either.

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Hostility
No online multiplayer?

Day 1 purchase.

You posted so quick I doubt you read the OP anyway, but sweet so you're just straight happy that people like me and my friend get screwed out what should be a basic feature in 2020. Thanks for the useless selfish take, ass.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
"-The Dynasty Warriors series and it's spin-offs have had online multiplayer as part of nearly every one of their games for OVER A DECADE.

-You know what games in this criteria and time frame don't have online multiplayer? The Nintendo ones. Hyrule Warriors (2014), Fire Emblem Warriors (2017), and Hyrule Warriors Legends/Switch (2016/2018)."

This is pretty damning lol
Damn, if only there was a service that we're paying Nintendo for so that they could fund online being added to these musou games.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Are you planning to use the local co-op option with a friend/family member anytime?

If yes, why are you stating that other people, who can only play online with friends, shouldn't have that option?
No, I'm not. I wouldn't care if local wasn't included either. Its not what I, and I'd venture to say the vast majority of people getting this, are coming to the game for.

Im purely speaking from my point of view. I would be happy for those who want it if it were included.

But I have never touched online multiplayer in my life, it's not what I play games for. So obviously if I had the option I'd want work to be focused on other things about the game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
lmao, what is this thread?

Who's out here playing Dynasty Warriors for multiplayer?

MP is consistently the most fun part of these games. Kick back with a friend, some beers, blast off 1000 enemies with a single attack and you know life is good

I don't think 2D platformers should have online multiplayer, especially a game like Donkey Kong. It's all about precision and no game is 100% lag free. Not to mention the trend of the industry is online, not local. So yeah I'm fine with no multiplayer in a lot of these games.

They could just not use delay-based netcode and you wouldn't feel any lag. You can play platformers with rollback netcode right now and it feels 100% like offline.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know people wanted online multiplayer for this game, so I mean it's pretty acceptable for me.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who always plays these mussou types of games local multiplayer and never online its still disappointing to see. Even people who can play locally still might wish for online play just because of better performance and each player getting their own screen. So this wont affect me, but I can see why people would be disappointed.

The reasonable response

I don't think 2D platformers should have online multiplayer, especially a game like Donkey Kong. It's all about precision and no game is 100% lag free. Not to mention the trend of the industry is online, not local. So yeah I'm fine with no multiplayer in a lot of these games.

I'm so glad you are the sole arbiter of how people should play games.

There is no one who would enjoy playing a platformers online.

Certainly no one who is in quarantined.

Certainly no one who is laid up in a hospital.

Certainly no one who is less strict about gameplay in lag as you must not exist on this wide green earth.

Never you mind we aren't even talking about platformers in the first place.

youll be much happier to accept what a product is instead of hope for it to be something else.

if no online MP is a deal breaker, then the game isn't for you.

Cool, but that doesn't mean he doesn't get to vice his dissatisfaction.

Why? Guess I'm in the wrong, but again your opinion.

But hey whatever, if this stops you from buying a game, that's on you.

Because that statement is painfully obvious and it also completely misses the point.

DW games are essentially very very low strategy RTS that much of the time precision controls isn't even required.

There is literally zero gameplay/game design reasons why it can't have online multiplayer. The engine may be an issue if they are using some old ass one but that is irrelevant as we are talking about the design of the game its self.

Yes. Your statement "Every game doesn't need online multiplayer" is correct. but the vast majority of the DW games doesn't fit the group that having the option of online multiplayer would break the game in any way shape or form or make it completely unplayable.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
No, I'm not.

Im purely speaking from my point of view. I would be happy for those who want it if it were included.

But I have never touched online multiplayer in my life, it's not what I play games for. So obviously if I had the option I'd want work to be focused on other things about the game.
Sure, it's your point of view. But one cannot be so selfish as to be glad that others don't get to experience the co-op mode.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
To those saying not every game needs multi-player, no shit but in something like this it would be very nice. Especially in the state of the world right now. Not like they can't afford it either.
You say especially in the state the world it is right now but expected them to add a working online mode for a game with single player/story focus out of nowhere.

Not every dev is gonna be able to add some features that were never planned to a game in the last couple months just because of the pandemic. Maybe down the line as an update but not on launch.

Story focus experiences like AoC and P5S not having online coop isn't really that surprising.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
playing a Musou on nintendos servers sounds like a fucking disaster anyway.

Also people defending nintendo on this because "I don't like online anyway" lmao

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Can't believe that people are defending Nintendo here

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
2d platformers should have online multiplayer? I never once thought about having online for AOC or any other ones that u mentioned. But since everything should have multiplayer then TLOU2, GOW, Horizon, Days Gone, Spider-Man, oh how can Sony get away with no online in 2020?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's your point of view. But one cannot be so selfish as to be glad that others don't get to experience the co-op mode.
I'm not "glad" others don't get to experience it. I would be happy for them if it was in.

Im saying I'm not distraught by the fact that it's not. OP's question was "how is this acceptable in 2020." My answer is, for this game specifically, it's not a major selling point. Most people who are excited for this are excited for the single player prequel campaign to BotW.

Jan 10, 2018
In a thread, specifically calling out Hyrule Warriors, people are declaring in a totally non passive aggressive way they are not giving Nintendo a pass by saying people are giving Nintendo a pass... it would be more funny if not literally all Nintendo "discussions" wouldn't go this way.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean MUA3 had online multiplayer and that was Nintendo commissioned and KT developed. But shrug

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I think it probably should have online multiplayer. Giving more people more options is never a bad thing.

That being said, I love how people use the "developer vision" excuse when saying a game shouldn't be graphically downgraded to a platform like Switch, but then go ahead and tell developers that they absolutely need to put it online multiplayer and not doing so is wrong. Either respect the developers' vision or don't, can't have it both ways.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you want like an actual answer. Most people will not care. Some of us care, some people like you will be very upset. But literally most of the people that will play this game will not care. They didn't care when the first game didn't have it. They won't care that this one doesn't have it. It's a market reality that the demographic and this game's marketing don't really focus on the co-op aspect.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Really sucks doesn't it

It's shocking that 3d world is going to have fully supported online yet this doesn't
3D World not having online in 2013 was already ridiculous, actually. 7 years later it's still either god awful like Smash Ultimate or not present in games where it should be like this one.