• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Make me wonder if Nintendo has ever been interested in bringing Koei/Tecmo on as a 2nd party developer since they've been working so closely and putting out some great games from these partnerships... They are also super efficient when it comes to getting games out as well
They pretty much already are.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
The Zelda thirst is real. Imagine the BotW2 numbers...

yeah this, BotW2 launch is gonna be amazing.

I don't think BotW 2's numbers will do as good as you think.
It will do good, it probably can go as high as 20mil since BotW will be close to 35mil lifetime.

I think that game could hit like 5m+ in week one

5mil is the floor if it's a nov release

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Like 3 million sold through already?

That's impressive if the case.

Doesn't matter if it's sold through. There's not millions sitting on shelves. The game could end up being front loaded but even if it only sells just that shipment that's really impressive.

I wonder if it's going to make other Musou games better sellers going forward, or if it's just contained to this game cuz it's a BotW prequel.

I think the next mosou games won't benefit much if at all tbh. They really advertised this heavily as a follow up to BOTW rather than a mosou.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this, BotW2 launch is gonna be amazing.

It will do good, it probably can go as high as 20mil since BotW will be close to 35mil lifetime.

5mil is the floor if it's a nov release
botw2 launch is going to be amazing. I think the sales will depend on a variaty of factors but ultimately if the quality is there and it launches alongside a upgraded Switch I can see it do similar numbers to botw actually.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's going to make other Musou games better sellers going forward, or if it's just contained to this game cuz it's a BotW prequel.
Not sure about Dynasty Warriors, but I assume Musou based on popular worldwide IPs would sell a lot. Imagine how big a Dragon Ball Musou would be.

I think this release also have a chance on boosting the first Hyrule Warriors sales.

Apr 9, 2019
It's a fantastic action game - it's definitely not mindless hack and slash. Lots of variety, expressive gameplay and interesting moment-to-moment decision-making. It's deserving of being a BotW-themed game, even though the original is still in a different league quality-wise (not exactly a fair comparison considering budget, time and development goals =P ).

Glad it's doing well. I can see it going a lot higher. Let's hope they find a way to smooth out the framerate a little, though!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Incredible performance. The 2M team was a little bit wrong heh. Here's hoping the 5M+ team will have to concede to the 10M+ as well, the game deserves it!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Pranay You might want to correct the OT as it is not only the biggest launch shipments for a Musou game but already the best-selling one.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
KT has benefited a ton from the Switch success. The relationship with Nintendo seems to be as strong as it's ever been.

As expected Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is the best selling Warriors game. Looks likely it will be the best selling KT game eventually.

Another Switch title setting records. It's almost to be expected with high profile launches now.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's not going to make them million sellers or anything but this is going to be a lot of people's first exposure to the series and they might be interested in trying other games. Of course they also have to try to appeal to those Hyrule Warriors players, but there's probably a reason DW9 Empires will be on Switch despite the main game not being on the platform.
Yeah, anecdotally, I've always observed the Museum games from a distance because I liked the idea but was iffy on the combat. Having experienced the combat in this game, I'm now more interested in the other games. I think it's definitely possible that a good subset of the buyers of this game will feel the same way.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations Koei Tecmo, they keep trying to make Musou more accepted in general and it works!
Making the best selling Musou ever is no small feat.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
With the technical state this game got released in, that's just sad.

I guess "that will show them".... to polish their next game even less.

I also have a thirst for Zelda, but not like this, sorry.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap! These are insane numbers for a Warriors game!!! I'm absolutely floored by this performance.

The game is great too, definitely the best playing Warriors game so far, though shame about the chunky framerate. This is the first game that has me really yearning for a Switch Pro. I hope the game gets plenty of post launch support.

This bodes really well for BotW 2.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is insane. Pretty much secures KT getting more work from Nintendo no doubt.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game is riding the Zelda and the big Nintendo November release waves. Absolutely incredible. Nintendo and KT have got to be happy with these numbers.

(Expect more Nintendo Warriors games in the future.)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Probably decently since the Awakening/Fates musou sold around 1 million (I think).
Worth keeping in mind that though that Three Houses didn't explode the popularity of Fire Emblem games. They were ~2m sellers on 3DS and are ~3m sellers on Switch, which is a good solid gain, but not explosive. Not quite like Breath of the Wild doubling, tripling, probably quadrupling the sales of previous Zelda games.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
This is cursed considering how disappointing many people seem to be saying the story beats are. Nintendo sure knows what they're doing getting something like this made though, even as someone who dislikes Musou, it's still quite tempting. Certainly confirms people are crazy for Zelda, 2's gonna sell like crazy.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
With the technical state this game got released in, that's just sad.

I guess "that will show them".... to polish their next game even less.

I also have a thirst for Zelda, but not like this, sorry.
Thats okay, plenty of people are satisfied with the performance and really enjoying the game. Not every release is gonna be for everyone :-)
In KT they have to be thinking about the next IP that they can ask Nintendo to work with.
This is KT - so the next collab is probably already in early development stages.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
BOTW 2 may make a little less in sales than BOTW 1 but it's going to be totally huge anyway. People love the new formula.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW 2 may make a little less in sales than BOTW 1 but it's going to be totally huge anyway. People love the new formula.

What's funny is that it might make Nintendo more bucks compared to BotW1 even with it not reaching the same insane sales. Development should be much less expensive since engine and partially assets are there already, plus all of the game's systems are working. ^^

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017