• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 85-89

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 66 26.8%
  • 70-74

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • under 70

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, the demo basically sold me but it's good to see nothing unexpectedly awful.

Very tempted to try overclocking my switch for this one. Wonder what kind of framerate improvements I'd get...

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like if you can handle the story not being a true, exact re-telling of BoTW its a solid 8.5 / 9. Awesome. Hopefully the frame rate sees some improvement patches (much like the original BoTW did)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Will play it on my Switch and hope Switch Pro will be out in a couple months when I hear back got the DLC they release.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the Eurogamer review:

Of course, if it's a technically impressive game you're after then Age of Calamity does come up a little short. The performance here isn't as bad as the demo that released recently suggested - I'll leave it to Digital Foundry to crunch the numbers - but it's certainly still going to prove jarring if you're not familiar with the typical shortcomings of the genre. It's enough to make me pine for a Switch Pro, where the action might be able to stick to a steady 30fps, and where enemies wouldn't just suddenly spring instantaneously into view when you're a couple of metres away from them, but for now all that is just wishful thinking.

Hopefully DF actually finds time to look at it. And if the Switch Pro exists, this should be one of the first games they test.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
The Kotaku review is a trip.

Still, musou fans absolutely dying—let me be clear, you should be on the verge of literal death from a disease for which the only cure is playing a new musou game—for another fix can fill their time with this while they continue their vigil for a North American release of Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lady Urbosa.

You can play as Lady Urbosa.

That's it. That's the review.
Thats all I needed to read tbh

Though their thoughts on Zelda as a playable character just show that they don't actually understand how to play her and gave up on trying and just said "bad character, unplayable" (they literally said unplayable)

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Without reading spoilers and simply based upon my playing the demo, watching some of the Nintendo promos, and YouTube Zelda theory I'm thinking this game is going to both explain things about the state of the kingdom pre and mid calamity forever lost to time/legend while setting the stage for much to come in the botw sequel, theme and character-wise. I guess I mean that it will provide player context that characters in BoTW 2 might lack initially.
Time manipulation is not some cop out, it is integral to the history of the Sheikah and Demise's curse

the reviews are as expected

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Saw some videos online and it seems the framerate is still very low. The demo legit gave me headaches, I wish I was less sensitive about this, but I can't buy this game in this state.

Hopefully the switch pro is real and I can play this there, because this game really interested me as my 1st musou game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is annoying that the reviews start talking about a hypothetical Switch Pro, tbh. I want to read about the game that exists, not the one that "could exist."

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Kinda bummed that it appears to be a non-cannonical take on the events from 100 years ago. I was really hyped for a prequel in the traditional sense, and seeing them resort to time travel shenanigans to justify a happy ending hurts a bit because it kept us from getting a tragic masterpiece that would've worked incredibly well with BotW and its sequel, making it a legendary Zelda trilogy.

Oct 28, 2019
Without reading spoilers and simply based upon my playing the demo, watching some of the Nintendo promos, and YouTube Zelda theory I'm thinking this game is going to both explain things about the state of the kingdom pre and mid calamity forever lost to time/legend while setting the stage for much to come in the botw sequel, theme and character-wise. I guess I mean that it will provide player context that characters in BoTW 2 might lack initially.
Time manipulation is not some cop out, it is integral to the history of the Sheikah and Demise's curse

the reviews are as expected

I would desperately dial back your expectations.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In a weird way, I'm pretty relieved to see the story is shallow and inconsequential, even on a "seeing more of the characters from BOTW" level, because I won't have to suffer through a musou game again.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bummed that it appears to be a non-cannonical take on the events from 100 years ago. I was really hyped for a prequel in the traditional sense, and seeing them resort to time travel shenanigans to justify a happy ending hurts a bit because it kept us from getting a tragic masterpiece that would've worked incredibly well with BotW and its sequel, making it a legendary Zelda trilogy.
yeah, seriously. What the hell. This severely undermines my excitement for this game. I'm not even sure I want to play it anymore.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if they didn't want a torna ending or they needed more playable characters and adjusted story to accommodate.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
In a weird way, I'm pretty relieved to see the story is shallow and inconsequential, even on a "seeing more of the characters from BOTW" level, because I won't have to suffer through a musou game again.

But lots of the reviews praise / like the story? The fact that some dislike it for straying too far from an exact re-telling of BoTW lore doesn't mean its bad, some people are just so invested in that story and are annoyed its not been followed - many others don't mind it going off path and like it.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I'm so confused what the takeaway for the story is?

Is it a gripping, interesting story with nice character development?

Or is it a shallow copout?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Really, I promise you that a story can have time travel and be canon at the same time, they are not incompatible with each other.

Like Ocarina of Time.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I'm so confused what the takeaway for the story is?

Is it a gripping, interesting story with nice character development?

Or is it a shallow copout?

I'm confused as well.

Some say it's not what we were expecting, some say it's just a re-telling of those flashbacks in BOTW, there's opinions all over the place.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
But lots of the reviews praise / like the story? The fact that some dislike it for straying too far from an exact re-telling of BoTW lore doesn't mean its bad, some people are just so invested in that story and are annoyed its not been followed - many others don't mind it going off path and like it.
I love BOTW along with the lore and I am okay with a Non-Canon story. It is a musou game. I do not play them for the story, but having a decent story is a bonus.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
I would desperately dial back your expectations.
Well I guess I shouldn't have said 'much to come', but that light will be shed on stuff that character's journals and Link's memories didnt touch or never could have touched in botw

if they are actually putting forth an alternate history where champions survive and there's no need for a Breath of the Wild because the root of the conflict is taken care of without need for putting Link in a 100 year stasis... well then I'd be confused why they called it age of calamity or why Aonuma talked about how it tells the story of what happened before breath of the wild. Whatever I don't want to derail a review thread, but if it effectively resets itself by the end and implies 'wow look at how bad it COULD have been. Good thing all this crazy stuff happened that nobody will ever remember' yea I will be disappointed

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we should be careful when talking about the story in this thread. Even if you don't explicitly say what happens, saying things like non-canonical or cop out or happy ending can be a spoiler, IMO. Maybe use spoiler tags?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I love BOTW along with the lore and I am okay with a Non-Canon story. It is a musou game. I do not play them for the story, but having a decent story is a bonus.

I must be one of the few people perfectly happy it its own story - I already know what happened in BoTW, saw a lot of it in flashbacks or through enviromental story telling / journals etc. Your imagination can fill in those blanks.

Also the characters are the big appeal for me and it sounds as though they feature very predominantly, it being more Zelda's story than Links. Sounds kind of like what most people complain about with Zelda being sidelined have been very much corrected here. Sadly it seems to be getting downplayed because its not the story some people wanted. Can never win when it comes to Zelda lore / story lol

Sep 9, 2020
So I'm reading stuff from the other thread that seems to indicate events in this game contradict BotW's memories and its DLC. So the whole plot is essentially an alternate story to begin with.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there someone on the internet who broke down the story completely? I don't care about spoilers; I want to know everything about this game's story.

thanks

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm reading stuff from the other thread that seems to indicate events even before the ending in this game contradict BotW's memories and its DLC. So the whole plot is essentially an alternate story, not just the ending.

That AoC isn't strictly speaking a prequel was already obvious from the demo. The question has always been how they resolve those deviations. Some seem to like it, others don't.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So in the end, this isn't canon to the main game's story? Well that's a shame, more if it's for the reason mentioned in this thread. Will wait and see if performance was improved because that demo was hard to play, if not then maybe the rumored Switch Pro may help.