• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 85-89

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 66 26.8%
  • 70-74

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • under 70

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The reviews seem quite good, they are what I expected. I canceled my pe-order because for at least a month I would not be able to play this game, since I still haven't finished my backlog, but maybe in mid-December I could get it (possibly also at 50€ instead of full-price)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
V0pHAA1.jpg

Is it just me or does this really sounds a bit ignorant?
They gave every previous warriors game a 4/10 or lower so that's actually an improvement for them. And yeah some places are super biased against warriors games and copy paste the reviews

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, too late for the poll. I personally think it will be in the 80-84 category!

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Yup 79... could have been a good game but main point i'm taking from reviews is the story is cheap and not cannon. I don't know why they did that and clearly the marketing was misleading.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Nobody is saying the story is not canon from what I can tell...

I mean it's not what happened before breath of the wild. This test is in french tho.
www.jeuxvideo.com

Test du jeu Hyrule Warriors : L'Ère du Fléau sur Switch

Il y a quelques semaines, nous avions pu poser nos mains sur le Musô se déroulant dans l’univers de The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild. Si l’aspect narratif et scénaristique nous donnait bon espoir de prendre part à une aventure palpitante, nous avions plus de réserves quant à la solidité...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
My review
Critical Hit (7/10)

Yup 79... could have been a good game but main point i'm taking from reviews is the story is cheap and not cannon. I don't know why they did that and clearly the marketing was misleading.

Basically this. I loved the gameplay but the story adds little to nothing to the overall BoTW narrative, world and characters which makes that even when treated as its own stand alone game, it just comes off as weak. They did a pretty great job with Zelda though, so that's at least a massive plus :D

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Some are saying it has nothing to do with BotW's story however. Canon or not, I think that's the bigger point.
I haven't seen that either to be honest. I get that it's not exactly going to be the prequel some wanted but I think claiming it isn't canon or has nothing to do with BotW seems a bit hyperbolic.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
The scores are actually slightly better than I expected overall.

I'm probably waiting for whenever the Switch Pro is released though. The performance in the demo was too erratic even for me.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I got hooked on the demo so I am looking forward to this. I barely started Breath of the Wild so I expect some story aspects to go over my head.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised it's getting the high scores that it's getting. The iffy framerate was too headache-inducing for me to enjoy it at all.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's ''The Gamer'' reviewer btw, I read it wrong lmao.

And on topic of his post, he loved the game but he thought it wasn't worth it a 10 because of ''minor'' mistakes, in this case Joy-Con drift and frame rates.

Joycon drift isn't a game issue, that's a weird complaint to make about a game specifically. Framerate of course is.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen that either to be honest. I get that it's not exactly going to be the prequel some wanted but I think claiming it isn't canon or has nothing to do with BotW seems a bit hyperbolic.
Canon is a completely arbitrary thing so I don't really care about that. For the rest, we'll have to see but I already read two review that talk about this.

Gamespot: Story conflicts with both the events and themes of Breath of the Wild, souring its potential

Jeuxvideo.com: Disappointing story that doesn't follow BOTW

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking high 70s in general, with a pretty big standard deviation. Warriors games just *don't* review well in some outlets, and I expect that to be reflected here - but then the Jim Sterlings of the world will compensate for that somewhat.

Really happy to see that I might have been too pessimistic.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see ZhugeEx and Jim Sterling's reviews, they are the biggest musou fans out there.

Thank god for Jim, and ZhugeEx of course.

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
8/10 review from Cubed3:

Forget what you think you know about the history of Breath of the Wild, this takes that story and makes it its own. The result is a hugely satisfying and wondrous adventure. Outside of the main story, it's worth coming back to this again and again. Omega Force has mastered the Musou style and is fully exhibiting that in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. The missions offer up plenty of replayability thanks to their diverse range of 'win' conditions. There is an impressive roster to keep coming back to, and it's filled with some fantastic characters that are a true surprise to discover. Every little element of this game works, and it all comes together so perfectly. While gamers are understandably excited to get their hands on the next-gen, Nintendo is ensuring the Switch isn't gathering dust. This will tear attention away from those shiny new boxes, and rightly so. There is so very much to love here. Frankly, a must-buy.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the reviews are so divided when it comes to the story.

On the one hand it seems like the story isn't exactly what people were led to believe.

On the other hand just telling the same story that was told in BotW again could've been pretty boring so some people are probably glad it was shaken up a bit.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the kind of game that'll be worth purchasing once the Switch Pro is out if it improves the performance and IQ enough.

Oct 25, 2017
getting near an 80 opencritic score is like a 90+ for any other genre.

I loved Hyrule Warriors but always felt certain aspects of it were incredibly tedious and it really bloated the game.

If this is tighter and more focused I might pick it up eventually.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I would've guessed ~78 beforehand, so it's reviewing very slightly better than I would've predicted. These are very good reviews for a musou game. For context, I believe it's reviewing better than Hyrule Warriors, any of the Pirate Warriors games, and Dragon Quest Heroes II, and I often see those considered some of the best musou spin-off games.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Ok the Gamespot reviewer liked the story until he reached the last part of the game. He didn't like the conclusion. I can imagine what he means but i don't know if i would feel the same. He was also pretty positive about Zelda and her journey to fullfil her destiny. I loved the story of BotW and its focus how the big expectations everyone had of her impacted her. This game seems to show that in much more depth and i think that's enough for me and i like the gameplay.