• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
So, when it comes to the "Cinematic" big moves that characters do, just how many are there for any given character? Like, I know you get one when you use your big A Button Attack. Another when you do the weak point smash. It looks like maybe another unique one when the weak point smash also defeats the enemy? I'm just curious, because I've been playing as Revali a bit now and just saw a new one. I wanna see them all.
For most characters, they have (per moveset):
  • 'A' special
  • 2 weak-point attacks (random? idk)
  • Weak-point finisher on big enemy
Link (w/ sword+shield) however seems to have a unique fisher on each big enemy (e.g. he jumps off one of the Guardian Stalkers legs after dodging its laser before stabbing it in the eye). Not sure if the two-handed weapon and spear movesets each have their own set of enemy-specific finishers though.

if anyone knows if there are more, let us know.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Just got through a bit of Chapter 5 and...this game kind of rules. I could do without all the smaller side quests and the grindier elements but I really like how this game has been recontextualizing BoTW. It gives the world and the events that take place in it more weight. Like, I put over 200 hours into BoTW and I've seen all these enemies, weapons, areas to death but in this framework, they feel entirely brand new. It might be the best and the smartest asset reuse I've seen in a game. To be fair though, it's not entirely reused assets there are some new animations and (to my surprise) new enemies too! I had to take a step back and ask myself whether I was playing a Zelda Musou or Nioh 2 for a second when I first encountered them. Like, the Fire variant looks just like your DT in Nioh 2.

Gameplay's really fun but it can be somewhat finnicky I think. Sometimes when I stasis an enemy to lock them into that vulnerable state their stagger bar will just disappear which is annoying. And when you get jumped by like 2/3 big enemies at once it can feel really messy, maybe I just suck but it feels like you're only ever supposed to fight them one at a time. The focus on the rods seems a little extreme too like a lot of timed missions almost require them if you want to complete them. I'm really not a fan of it since you tend to do chip damage and you just kind of steam roll whatever enemy is in your way when you use them.

This is probably the best Zelda story. I'm having a hard time thinking of one that even comes close. I mean it's a pretty low bar right? Unless I'm forgetting something. I really like the focus on Zelda herself here, while Link takes a backseat entirely. Hell, they don't even let Link be the main character as the 'default' hero for the divine beast rescue missions. It's great seeing the Champions have their time to shine properly this time even if they're not particularly deep. Impa is fantastic, she's totally the same character even 100 years later. I regret even entertaining the thought that she was 'just a Paya clone'. Hestu is such a joy to play as. Sisooga is a fun addition, I relish every bit of screen time he and Kohga get. Purah and Robbie are...fine? They haven't had much of a chance to impress. Less thrilled about the villain OC cause they seem pretty generic so far.

I feel like I know how this is going to end and while I'm slightly disappointed... I'm having way too much fun to really care. Like this last mission really clicked for me. And having Sidon leap through a bullshit time portal had me like 'Yeah alright Nintendo have your copout ending, you cowards. You won me over. Good shit.'

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Beat it and loved the game! Great missions, and best Warriors game by far, even better than Hyrule Warriors.

I am disappointed by the story, however, I was hoping for a full story of what happened 100 years ago, with the Champions dying, etc but again we got a happy ending, I would have loved to see the time travel story as an alternate story mode to the game and have the original be the true story of the game.

I'm sure this is here for a reason.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty lost at how to effectively play as
Hetsu

I just don't really get their moveset or flow between them, and they just kinda feel like I'm flailing around doing nothing. Doesn't help that they're very very slow. Am I missing something or are they just not very good?
I'm gonna boost this because I'm struggling too.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
After clearing the challenge I did tonight as Zelda, beating back multiple moblins of various sorts, multiple Guardians, and and a freaking Molduga, I'm not going to diss her moveset, really. It was a decent challenge that takes more time than someone like Impa, who just laughs at weak point gauges.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
After clearing the challenge I did tonight as Zelda, beating back multiple moblins of various sorts, multiple Guardians, and and a freaking Molduga, I'm not going to diss her moveset, really. It was a decent challenge that takes more time than someone like Impa, who just laughs at weak point gauges.
Zelda's second moveset can eat weakpoint gauges for breakfast

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just got through a bit of Chapter 5 and...this game kind of rules. I could do without all the smaller side quests and the grindier elements but I really like how this game has been recontextualizing BoTW. It gives the world and the events that take place in it more weight. Like, I put over 200 hours into BoTW and I've seen all these enemies, weapons, areas to death but in this framework, they feel entirely brand new. It might be the best and the smartest asset reuse I've seen in a game. To be fair though, it's not entirely reused assets there are some new animations and (to my surprise) new enemies too! I had to take a step back and ask myself whether I was playing a Zelda Musou or Nioh 2 for a second when I first encountered them. Like, the Fire variant looks just like your DT in Nioh 2.

Gameplay's really fun but it can be somewhat finnicky I think. Sometimes when I stasis an enemy to lock them into that vulnerable state their stagger bar will just disappear which is annoying. And when you get jumped by like 2/3 big enemies at once it can feel really messy, maybe I just suck but it feels like you're only ever supposed to fight them one at a time. The focus on the rods seems a little extreme too like a lot of timed missions almost require them if you want to complete them. I'm really not a fan of it since you tend to do chip damage and you just kind of steam roll whatever enemy is in your way when you use them.

This is probably the best Zelda story. I'm having a hard time thinking of one that even comes close. I mean it's a pretty low bar right? Unless I'm forgetting something. I really like the focus on Zelda herself here, while Link takes a backseat entirely. Hell, they don't even let Link be the main character as the 'default' hero for the divine beast rescue missions. It's great seeing the Champions have their time to shine properly this time even if they're not particularly deep. Impa is fantastic, she's totally the same character even 100 years later. I regret even entertaining the thought that she was 'just a Paya clone'. Hestu is such a joy to play as. Sisooga is a fun addition, I relish every bit of screen time he and Kohga get. Purah and Robbie are...fine? They haven't had much of a chance to impress. Less thrilled about the villain OC cause they seem pretty generic so far.

I feel like I know how this is going to end and while I'm slightly disappointed... I'm having way too much fun to really care. Like this last mission really clicked for me. And having Sidon leap through a bullshit time portal had me like 'Yeah alright Nintendo have your copout ending, you cowards. You won me over. Good shit.'
Speaking of Nioh 2 I think the music is very similar in some places, especially the map music for the first 5 chapters or so:

Or at least it gives me the same vibes

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Some characters are weird to play with for various reasons, and I think that, for some of those (super fast fliers, etc), it's in part due to the framerate.

Also, as I'm nearing 100%, I think there are quite a few additional nitpicks that can be noted. Like, I really don't like the default (not sure if it can be changed?) "lock on" button. It's really badly placed in such a frenetic game.

I'm also not 100% sold on the "signature moves/effects" thingy which can be neat for sandboxing, but end up either being too gimmicky to be of real use, or too powerful so that it feels it should have been a part of the character "default" moveset.

In general, I'm not sure how I feel about the game being such a combat-focused Muso. On one hand the combat is more interesting than your usual Muso. But on the other hand it basically trashes away the strategic part of the game to transforms it into some beat-em up wannabe which may have been decent with different game design choices (such as 60fps) but isn't all that great in its current incarnation.

Oh well. Not a bad game by any means. But not as great as first impressions led me to believe.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
There are things BotW2 needs to carry over from this.

The recipe list, multiple simultaneous item tracking, streamlined advanced rune use (e.g. catching midair metal items with magnesis), at least a few of Link and Zelda's attack strings ... All of that would be highly welcome if BotW2 is similar to the first.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely share the thought on the lock on button placement HBK, then again I hate having to click in sticks with any sort of regularity.

I think that after coming off the last two Nintendo warrior crossovers as well as playing a big chunk of FE Warriors post game/endgame in the week prior to Age of Calamity, I kinda appreciated the shift to being a more straight brawler game here for varieties sake, that and it's nice to not lose missions because the 2 minute backlogged message about how your base in is trouble arrives 5 seconds before it falls, musou games need to tackle that shit if they want to push the tactics angle

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Man playing HW just makes me wonder yet again, what other IPs could benefit from musou treatment. LIke, for example, Koei has this game, Called Dynasty Warriors 9. Itd be pretty cool if they made a musou game out of it.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally completed all the Korok seeds, and 100% the game. That seed collecting took a while.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely share the thought on the lock on button placement HBK, then again I hate having to click in sticks with any sort of regularity.

I think that after coming off the last two Nintendo warrior crossovers as well as playing a big chunk of FE Warriors post game/endgame in the week prior to Age of Calamity, I kinda appreciated the shift to being a more straight brawler game here for varieties sake, that and it's nice to not lose missions because the 2 minute backlogged message about how your base in is trouble arrives 5 seconds before it falls, musou games need to tackle that shit if they want to push the tactics angle
I've never played any other musou games, and the thought of every mission being like doesn't sound appealing. The few missions with harsh time limits or having to defend various points were more than enough.

Maybe I'd feel more comfortable with more hectic battlefield management if the dialogue was spoken so I wouldn't have to read it while trying to dodge attacks at the same time

Man playing HW just makes me wonder yet again, what other IPs could benefit from musou treatment.

definitely star fox

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, those were my feelings at first, but after (almost) 100%ing the game its flaws are glaring and unfortunately prevent the game to truly shine, especially in the post-game (where most Musos usually shine).

And I feel you about those message log stalls haha

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I watched a video earlier that points out that the weird floating energy surrounding the elemental enemies in the game is the same Gerudo text flowing into the mummified corpse in the BOTW2 teaser

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
've never played any other musou games, and the thought of every mission being like doesn't sound appealing. The few missions with harsh time limits or having to defend various points were more than enough.

Maybe I'd feel more comfortable with more hectic battlefield management if the dialogue was spoken so I wouldn't have to read it while trying to dodge attacks at the same time
FE Muso is fully voiced (and yes it's very useful!) and Musos aren't usually hard or especially unforgiving games.

They're games where you can grind and where strategy plays a role with usually heavily scripted missions, but in a "good" way. I mean to S-rank there's a bit of "die and retry" (well, more like "A-rank and retry" actually), but as long as you're paying attention and don't want to tackle missions where you're wholly underleveled, it's relatively easy to pass and even get an A-rank.

It's just that the missions feel more like an actual battlefield with a front line etc. I mean there are usually "lighter" missions such as slaughter fests or pure time-attacks but where you'll spend most of your time is in "large" missions where devising tactics, while not necessarily mandatory, helps A LOT.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I watched a video earlier that points out that the weird floating energy surrounding the elemental enemies in the game is the same Gerudo text flowing into the mummified corpse in the BOTW2 teaser
I'm wondering about the constellation projections that appear around Astor

Regardless, really glad this game has a lot of story implications and introduces a few more questions rather than just being a retread of everything that was already known.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been somewhere in the middle of Chapter 4 for days, mopping up all of the side missions at the point when the map just explodes with content, and on the whole I am just so much more engaged with the way the side content is interwoven with the story missions compared to the cleanly split modes of HW1 and FEW.

On Hard I'm finding the resource management game to be very well tuned without having to repeat any missions (for now), with just enough cash flow to fill most of the quests and keep my party on level. There's a purpose to the progression, abundant opportunities to experiment with the party, and a great balance of length between these side vignettes and the chunky, full-sized experience of the main-line maps.

Impa was my lowest-level character going into this chapter, as I hadn't quite surmounted her learning curve yet and was having more fun with trying everyone else, but now that I've gotten some practice in, I'm finding that she cuts through all of the timed missions with lots of captains and shield breaks like a hot knife through butter. All of a sudden she feels like the easiest to play.

I don't know if I'm keen on the humongous amount of space that the Great Fairies and Hestu take up, and I haven't quite clicked with either of them yet because of what this does to their movement and my field of vision, but we'll get there, I'm sure. Their play styles don't seem that intuitive to me yet (I've been figuring out everything myself in the practice room instead of looking at any guides), but that's what I thought about Impa at first and now she is all smooth sailing.

I'd like to learn them properly to squeeze more out of the crazy, unorthodox, comical side of the game, but one easily succumbs to the temptation of playing as somebody more immediately comfortable.

Originally, based on the last two Nintendo Musou games, I thought I'd be done with AoC in no time, burn out on optional bloat, and move on to the next thing, but that's not how this is going at all. I had no idea I'd be so keen on seeing everything, I think I should expect to be here for the long haul.

Probably should get through the story at some point so I can actually read the thread, but I'm not in a hurry.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Probably should get through the story at some point so I can actually read the thread, but I'm not in a hurry.
Keep in mind there are a couple surprise character unlocks after the final main mission, so spoiler tags might be referring to those. There's also a second credits roll that you get after completing completing a post-game side quest (you need x50 of a new collectible to complete it).

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Nioh 2 I think the music is very similar in some places, especially the map music for the first 5 chapters or so:

Or at least it gives me the same vibes

Hmm yeah, I kind of see it. I think it's mostly the drums at the beginning of each world map theme for me but now I can't unhear the AoC music playing on the Nioh 2 world map. Eerie, it has different instrumentation but I absolutely agree there's something to it.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I love to binge this game, but my mashing thumb gets sore so I need to give it a break for a day or two.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Riju and Teba are so fun to use, they are fantastic at crowd control. Teba eats the weak point gauge like it's nothing, same for 2 handed Link, I love how OP he is. What is the best weapon and build for 2H Link?

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I admit to having zero technical knowledge on the matter, but I wonder how much of the shift to this game being more combat focused and losing that strategy layer is due to Switch technical limitations. The first Hyrule Warriors had things that revolved around constantly spawning troops (like Summoners, Outposts, Scouts, etc.) that made it so that you could easily get overwhelmed if you don't handle them. I've noticed that this game has fewer number of trash mobs compared to the past game. Also, when I'm trying to clear keeps or complete kill challenges I find myself running around hunting for something to kill and waiting for something to spawn. I'd imagine limitations on number of enemies that can be on-screen and load times for those enemies might adversely impact some of the ways pressure can be applied to the player if they aren't macro-managing the battle field correctly. I've never played any of the Musou games on lower-tech consoles (like handhelds) to know how much that adversely impacts design, so maybe I'm off about this.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I admit to having zero technical knowledge on the matter, but I wonder how much of the shift to this game being more combat focused and losing that strategy layer is due to Switch technical limitations. The first Hyrule Warriors had things that revolved around constantly spawning troops (like Summoners, Outposts, Scouts, etc.) that made it so that you could easily get overwhelmed if you don't handle them. I've noticed that this game has fewer number of trash mobs compared to the past game. Also, when I'm trying to clear keeps or complete kill challenges I find myself running around hunting for something to kill and waiting for something to spawn. I'd imagine limitations on number of enemies that can be on-screen and load times for those enemies might adversely impact some of the ways pressure can be applied to the player if they aren't macro-managing the battle field correctly. I've never played any of the Musou games on lower-tech consoles (like handhelds) to know how much that adversely impacts design, so maybe I'm off about this.

Completely unrelated.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
At last. 100%. I think there are a few glitches in the last missions like the timer bugging out but it worked in my favor so no complaints there.

Good game. Could be better.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I must say, I don't really like the feel of "big characters" like

Riju or Great Fairies

They feel too clunky and weird to me.
Riju is fine, but the damage on his unique attack is just too low. Considering it's a disposable currency that governs its use, it should be doing way more damage at way higher range. His normal moveset is pretty fun though.

GF is great if you put attack speed ++ on them. She doesn't have great anti-boss options, but a sped up GF is absolute havoc on large swathes of enemies. If this game had ko trials, she'd be the one to use.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got Speed+ on Mipha and it feels so much better.

I'm guessing avoid defensive and healing skills right because I can't imagine Musou being funner by playing more defensively. 🤔

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Defence stuff really isn't needed, and everyone benefits from an offensive boost. Healing+ might be fun on Mipha since it's built into some of her moves, but otherwise it's all about damage.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there good guides to characters yet?

I just unlocked a certain character who seems they should be better but...uh they just didn't dare too well in my first outing with them, a low level mission even.[\spoiler]

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Every Step Like Thunder.

Goddamn.

Easily the most brutal Warriors map I've ever done; man, all those Guardians, Blights, and Lynels...*shiver*. No wonder Link had to be taken to the Shrine of Resurrection in the original timeline! Thank goodness this game is more lenient with its checkpoints/continues. And man, Awakened Zelda's a beast.

I knew Kohga would join you at some point -- there's no way he wasn't playable. Fitting he can steal the show without even saying a word.

ALSO AAHHHHH WE GET TO SEE THE ORIGINAL GREAT PLATEAU

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Is there good guides to characters yet?

I just unlocked a certain character who seems they should be better but...uh they just didn't dare too well in my first outing with them, a low level mission even.
You should spoiler tag the character since there are a few who aren't immediately manageable

Regardless, it helps to complete all the quests for that character in order to unlock all their moves, and then seeing what all of their attack strings do. You'll want every move available for when you're required to play as them

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's because they wanted to keep all the maps from BotW and not make original ones. I think that sort of forced them into these narrow linear corridors, and the focus on combat and not strategy followed from there.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So, when it comes to the "Cinematic" big moves that characters do, just how many are there for any given character? Like, I know you get one when you use your big A Button Attack. Another when you do the weak point smash. It looks like maybe another unique one when the weak point smash also defeats the enemy? I'm just curious, because I've been playing as Revali a bit now and just saw a new one. I wanna see them all.
Not sure

I think there are two weakpoint smashes per regular strong enemies and some for boss finishers.
I think there are two weakpoint smashes per regular strong enemies and some for boss finishers.

Some bosses definitely have unique animations when the smash is killing them.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Mipha has three weak-point finisher animations -- the third one appears to be triggered when it's the killing blow against a giant foe like a Guardian, Hinox, etc. Not sure what determines the other two -- might just be random.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
One clear area of improvement over HW1 is streamlining upgrade material requirements. Everyone shares the same pool of materials, instead of Link needing Ganondorf drops, Ganondorf needing Zelda mats, etc.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Mipha has three weak-point finisher animations -- the third one appears to be triggered when it's the killing blow against a giant foe like a Guardian, Hinox, etc. Not sure what determines the other two -- might just be random.

It's universal for everyone but Link.

Everyone gets 2 general smashes, and 1 "finisher" for big bosses.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Dang some of these non-story missions are H A R D, even with me being overleveled.

Ones I'm having trouble with are:
  • Taming the Lynel (YOU CAN'T HEAL??? 2 AT THE SAME TIME???)
  • The one where you have 3 characters to defend against a buttload of Guardians at Akkala Citadel. I forget the name but something to do with Guardian's Defense or something? You have to kill 12 in total - I kill 10 but then get SWARMED in the field by like 5 of those stupid little mini-Guardians. Super frustrating.
  • Defend Hyrule Castle (unsure of exact name). I only have 2 characters to cover 4 strongholds, and some random stronghold keeps falling no matter what I do?
Also I'm always broke lol. Any good (easy) missions to farm $$$ and rods?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I still want a DLC moveset that's some Doctor Octopus ripoff like this

dd7g5gw-6063d1c6-746f-42ba-83a3-8ab28ea6acf9.png

• Defend Hyrule Castle (unsure of exact name). I only have 2 characters to cover 4 strongholds, and some random stronghold keeps falling no matter what I do?
If you pause the game, and hit 'L' you can look at a feed of all the dialogue and notifications. Which ever notification you have highlighted, the map will show where it is. If there's a warning of a stronghold under attack, it will show where that was. Same with character dialogue, it will show where that character was when they said that line. Since the dialogue isn't voiced, it's easy to lose track of what's happening, but that feature helps.

Also, if you haven't, use the map to send characters to certain objectives while you're playing as another to cut down on travel time.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I am stuck like hell here and need to ask some questions on 2 things.

1.Monk Maz Koshia-The combo that puts down a shrine...what the hell does it do? The shrine doesn't hurt anyone and I cant destroy it ( try as I might. ) I know his gimmick is do combo, get glyph, use glyph to turn into big dude. Does it help with that? Is it a multiplier? How do I use this thing?

2. Weapon fusing- At first I thought it was like Orochi 3. Fuse any two together to get stuff, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to add slots and how do I get particular traits when fusing. What determines if I get a slot when fusing? What determines which trait from combined weapons will transfer? I cant figure it out...

Help.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2. Weapon fusing- At first I thought it was like Orochi 3. Fuse any two together to get stuff, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to add slots and how do I get particular traits when fusing. What determines if I get a slot when fusing? What determines which trait from combined weapons will transfer? I cant figure it out...

Help.
Levels 5 10 and 20 add slots. The first skill of the first weapon in the current fusion group transfers it's skill. There is a bonus if you match the skill symbol shapes. +5 damage for 2 +15 for 4 and the skills % value goes up as well.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
1.Monk Maz Koshia-The combo that puts down a shrine...what the hell does it do? The shrine doesn't hurt anyone and I cant destroy it ( try as I might. ) I know his gimmick is do combo, get glyph, use glyph to turn into big dude. Does it help with that? Is it a multiplier? How do I use this thing?

Attacking the shrine sends out damaging shockwaves. Also, attacking the shrine while big generates glyphs instead of consuming them.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I still want a DLC moveset that's some Doctor Octopus ripoff like this

dd7g5gw-6063d1c6-746f-42ba-83a3-8ab28ea6acf9.png

If you pause the game, and hit 'L' you can look at a feed of all the dialogue and notifications. Which ever notification you have highlighted, the map will show where it is. If there's a warning of a stronghold under attack, it will show where that was. Same with character dialogue, it will show where that character was when they said that line. Since the dialogue isn't voiced, it's easy to lose track of what's happening, but that feature helps.

Also, if you haven't, use the map to send characters to certain objectives while you're playing as another to cut down on travel time.

oooohooo hot tip about the highlighting objectives. I would spread my characters on the map, but apparently not to the right strongholds idk. I'll try again using the menu tip.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Is that a one-hit kill stage against octoroks, moblins, guardians, hinox and a goddamn Lynel?
Oh boy