• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

QuarkMann

Oct 30, 2017
rito chapter is a highlight so far

cool map, environment & cutscene

I just finished my second session with the game and just wanted to post exactly this. This was the best story chapter I played in a Muso game (only played the original HW and Fire Emblem Warriros).

As soon as the music kicked in at the beginning of the boss fight I was super pumped and got goosebumps at the very same time. They made Revalis theme even better. And the cut scene right after was exactly what I imagined to see when the game got announced.

I hope the game can maintain that level during the whole story campaign.

Besides that I'm super impressed how different every each character feels. Link already plays so differently depending what type of weapon you choose. Lance Link and Urbosa are my favorites so far.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Hard mode is really starting to be hard, I'm just after the Champion ceremony.
It's those damn big monsters man, they do a lot of damage. And I ran out of rupees leveling everyone to 26 lol
At least Link with the Master Sword feels really broken, especially after getting the powered up X moves.
Have you gotten anything extra for playing on Hard?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The super linear corridor maps that you can't climb really don't do a good job catching the spirit of BotW lol

I'm only in Chapter 2 though so maybe they open up later.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, hiw does the sheika finder work?
I unlocked it, added it to some of the things i need to search with x, but i dont know how the game tells you were the ugridients are.
Its on the map? On the ground when playing?

It's on the main map. It'll show levels/missions that have the items you're looking for with a green waterdrop effect behind their icons.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I literally had to fight Revali with 1 heart on hard mode...The amout of dodging I had to do..

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Love musuo and loved the first one, but am I crazy or is the framerate just absolutely garbage?

It won't keep me from playing, but this feels much worse than the first one in that sense.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The more I play the more I realize, while they've improved the voicing and cutscenes, the story telling really isn't that great. I don't feel like I'm getting anything actually new here outside of the bits that would have clearly diverged from the original timeline.

Im happy to keep playing, but Id even say I got more from the diaries in the Champions Ballad. With any luck BotW2 will marry this quality of cutscenes and voicing, with the more intimate storytelling of those diaries (and cutscenes as sparse as they were).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel weird not really clicking with the game until I unlocked Mipha...

I love Zelda/Impa but their move sets are just SO extra I was kinda desperate for a normal move set. I like how speedy Mipha is and that ranged bubble attack that multi-hits things!

(Link plays fine but the fun of these games is getting to play as side characters).

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Zelda is strange, doesnt move similar to any character ive played inb the HW series, Y attacks changing type cofuses me, but sometimes the attacks do something cool and its fun.
Sometimes i create some ice stairs and she goes up and i cant replicate any time i want. Seems is pressing the x in some way at the start, but the majority of the times she creates the smaller ice cubes that surrounds enemies.
She doesn't play like anything I've played across a spectrum of Warriors games. She's a character for sure though I won't touch until I unlock all her attacks/combos. Normally tough to play characters are broken once you learn how to play them, so we shall see!
I am having a blast. I find the characters a lot more interesting to play than in the original Hyrule Warriors. A few of the maps could be clearer though.
Same. I only have four people unlocked so far and legit none of them have played the same and have a unique gimmick that's pretty fun and makes me at least think for a second who I am playing as.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
zelda's moves are indeed kinda wonky

I personally don't really enjoy playing as her but hey at least she's unique

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The more I play the more I realize, while they've improved the voicing and cutscenes, the story telling really isn't that great. I don't feel like I'm getting anything actually new here outside of the bits that would have clearly diverged from the original timeline.

Im happy to keep playing, but Id even say I got more from the diaries in the Champions Ballad. With any luck BotW2 will marry this quality of cutscenes and voicing, with the more intimate storytelling of those diaries (and cutscenes as sparse as they were).

Yeah, it's super routine. Feels like official fan fiction, really. Which is kind of like the previous Hyrule Warriors, but kind of even worse when combined with grandiose nature of the BotW production values. Well, even the original BotW wasn't anything amazing, but it was sparse enough you didn't have to soak it in too much. Here I'm just cringing a lot at the super basic dialogue and plot lines.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Yo my girl Impa is ridiculous, the game cannot handle her movetset, all I see are her clones flying around and explosions everywhere

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's super routine. Feels like official fan fiction, really. Which is kind of like the previous Hyrule Warriors, but kind of even worse when combined with grandiose nature of the BotW production values. Well, even the original BotW wasn't anything amazing, but it was sparse enough you didn't have to soak it in too much. Here I'm just cringing a lot at the super basic dialogue and plot lines.

My partner just randomly started watching One Piece and here I am thinking damn many of these storylines are heaps better than what AoC is giving me. I sincerely hope this isn't the level of storytelling we should expect from the main game.

Omnicent

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm realy digging Mipha.
She's fast, has good reach, and her special also has a small heal as an extra bonus.

Figured out how to get the bonuses from smithing (same shape affixes when you unlock new slots at 5/10/15/20).
Her starting spear is like 40 attack at level 5 and +8% speed.

Broke the bank to get link and zelda some proper fused weapons.

Going to get Urbosa tomorrow. I love me aggressive characters and she looks to fit my play style.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My partner just randomly started watching One Piece and here I am thinking damn many of these storylines are heaps better than what AoC is giving me. I sincerely hope this isn't the level of storytelling we should expect from the main game.

show or the Warriors games?

Like OP is pretty great in general with its writing in spite of where it's located.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Played a few hours tonight and loving it so far. Trying to wrap my head around the story but I will keep playing to see where they take it. I loved
baby sidon
!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest complaint is that this game makes me play as Link too much.

I'm on the ninth mission, and the seventh and eighth both made me use Link for their final bosses, and now in the ninth he's the only playable character

come the fuck on Nintendo, you made so many awesome movesets and made this game to feature all the characters, let me be them instead of bland ass Link who I already played 200 hours of BotW with!

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Oh finally an OT

I'm glad that this runs better on the lite than the demo did .

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's really nice to see the champions interact with eachother. Definitely didn't happen in BotW proper, maybe a bit in TCB. But it's happened a good amount of times in this game so fae

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm only five or six main missions in, but so far I think this story is worse than Hyrule Warriors 1. The first HW was doing things each chapter, some of it hokey but still things.

Age of Calamity, here's a mission where we climb Death Mountain. Just... nothing happens, you just climb up and down the mountain. There's no plot, there's not a lot of characterization (certainly nothing beyond what was in BotW), and since I know this isn't actually how this part of the story happened it's hard to care at all.

The big dumb spectacle of HW's story matched the big dumb spectacle of the gameplay better than here too. We still get big dumb gameplay (which is the important part and 99% of the reason I'm here), but now it's paired to more subdued storytelling.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only five or six main missions in, but so far I think this story is worse than Hyrule Warriors 1. The first HW was doing things each chapter, some of it hokey but still things.

Age of Calamity, here's a mission where we climb Death Mountain. Just... nothing happens, you just climb up and down the mountain. There's no plot, there's not a lot of characterization (certainly nothing beyond what was in BotW), and since I know this isn't actually how this part of the story happened it's hard to care at all.

The big dumb spectacle of HW's story matched the big dumb spectacle of the gameplay better than here too. We still get big dumb gameplay (which is the important part and 99% of the reason I'm here), but now it's paired to more subdued storytelling.
I prefer this story, but I've also never been a fan of weird crossover fanfiction type stuff the first Hyrule Warriors was full of. Not that this game's story is anything great, of course. It's serviceable.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just a reminder, character specific side challenges unlock a upgrade item mission for that character. Just for anyone buzzing through the campaign without doing side challenges

Got all the Champions unlocked before quitting for the night. I really enjoyed all their stages (with Revali's being a standout for me) except Daruk's (damn fire moblins). I enjoy playing with all the champions so far—except Daruk (tbf, I never usually go with the slow/powerful big guy types anyway though).

Mipha and Revali are my favorites to play as so far, as they're both super fast and have wide ranging attacks that tend to clear keeps. Urbosa and Impa are super fun too and Link is reliably good. Zelda. . .I would only use if I absolutely had to. (Her play style is just odd and it's hard to want to play as her with everyone else around.) Same with Daruk.

As for the story. . .it's serviceable so far. The only thing I guess I can say is kinda annoying is that the story is kinda pushing you to care about the egg guardian's and relastionship with Zelda. Kinda just makes me eyeroll more than anything, even if I do find the little guy to be kinda cute.

Overall, I'm having a blast with it!

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Loving it so far but question... is it obvious how to unlock characters? I know some are via the story mode, but some aren't. Want to get as many as soon as possible but don't want to spoil the surprises to look it up on a guide.

Also are koroks limited to the story missions or also the challenges?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I prefer this story, but I've also never been a fan of weird crossover fanfiction type stuff the first Hyrule Warriors was full of. Not that this game's story is anything great, of course. It's serviceable.

Honestly still feels like fan fiction so far with the level of routine dialogue and focus solely on character interactions and regurgitating BotW over any really interesting plot thread, tbh. I have doubts it'll go anywhere interesting or novel.