• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Rhoam one-handing a Royal Claymore like the absolute beast he is

YOU COME AT THE KING, YOU BEST NOT MISS

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I have a theory about the identity of the egg character. In BOTW, one of the early shrines is a combat training shrine called Ta'Loh Naeg. The guardian is white for some reason. This is the only combat shrine that does not reset after a blood moon. I think there must be some untold backstory for this guardian that would make it make sense for him to be training you, like the combat spirit in TP. I bet this tidbit was turned over to the team making Calamity Age, and they will flesh out a connection. Thought?
I love this theory!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
King Rhoam seems to uses two-handed weapons with one hand, btw.

Dude's not going down without a fight.

EDIT: The Nintendo Dream scans do not confirm if Khoga, Rhoam, Purah, Robbie and Hetsu are playable. Only a blurb that was translated says: "It is unclear if those character are playable".
Yeah put me on the definitely all playable but post story/side story missions. Also possible we get bonus missions or villains point of view missions as unlockables

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Rhoam was always a badass. Even as a ghost he was roughing it on the Great Plateau, chopping wood and eating baked apples.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Purah and Impah can't be more different despite being sisters. They really went into the designs now that they don't have the easier done age difference between them.

Robbie channeling his inner Travolta like a champ.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they release the Rhoam art this week

Also we need another artbook for this game, lol

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Bless AoC for giving us a young version of the Sheikah crew

download-2020-10-21tnvjie.jpeg
This game's artworks are incredible, I love it.
Holy shit, why did no one tell me Rhoam was looking like such a badass in that feature? All the characters shown there better be playable!
It's Hyrule Warriors, and they even are getting artworks, it pretty much confirm they'll be playable, either at launch or update / post campaign free missions thing.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I wonder if we're going to see some or all BOTW forgotten memories again with more context... or extended cuts... that'd be cool.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I was made aware of the fact that King Rhoam's pose with the greatsword in the magazine is suspiciously similar to Ganondorf's pose from his Melee render.

I refuse to take that as a coincidence.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Put it this way:

While I don't claim comprehensive knowledge of everything Musou, I don't think I've ever seen a (non-generic-mook!) character appearing in a Warriors game trailer who wasn't ultimately playable.
Happened all the time in the Pirate Warriors games. Granted, that's a peculiar situation where there's dozens of pre-established characters, many of whom are necessary to tell the story of the original work. But I won't be surprised if some of these characters are NPC only, particularly because this is unique case where an original story that will likely be canon is being told in a musou game. I imagine the story is being reviewed and approved by some part of the BotW team, and it would make sense if some characters have to make it in for narrative purposes without necessarily being playable.

That said, I don't particularly feel like any of these characters won't be playable. I'm definitely leaning Hestu as playable.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Happened all the time in the Pirate Warriors games. Granted, that's a peculiar situation where there's dozens of pre-established characters, many of whom are necessary to tell the story of the original work. But I won't be surprised if some of these characters are NPC only, particularly because this is unique case where an original story that will likely be canon is being told in a musou game. I imagine the story is being reviewed and approved by some part of the BotW team, and it would make sense if some characters have to make it in for narrative purposes without necessarily being playable.

That said, I don't particularly feel like any of these characters won't be playable. I'm definitely leaning Hestu as playable.
I think it comes down to whether there will be a non-canon free play mode. Nintendo might have some weird resistance to including a non-canon side mode in a canon Zelda game.

I believe the campaign of Four Swords Adventures was canon (lol), but it had side modes like Shadow Battle that probably weren't canon, so that could be a precedent.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the obvious, one of the reasons I think all these characters shown are going to be playable, even in the main story, is because a good portion of the confirmed playable cast is going to be killed off (spoilers!). If we presume that the game goes all the way to where Zelda seals Ganon, conceivably there is a point where the only playable characters left are Zelda and Impa. So either Link and the Champions fall in a series of back to back levels before the final mission where it's just Zelda, or you're still going to have access to at least a few more characters. Most definitely Robbie and Purah can help fill that gap and one of the big story beats in the Breath of Wild memories are the Shiekah taking Link to the Great Plateau which I do think will be a mission in this game.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the glider the king gave to Link at the beginning of BotW was Link's glider in the first place, and Rhoam was simply giving it back to him.

Also, Hestu in BotW outright says that no one has been able to see him for 100 years, so clearly something happens at the end of AoC to cause the Koroks to become invisible to most people.

You must have never used ancient Sheikah technology. Solves every problem.

I don't think it's wise to look too much into this. If something happens, great. If not, oh well.

I believe the glider is Rito Tech due to the Rito symbol being on Link's glider.

May 17, 2020
I'm thinking (or maybe hoping) we might have a case of multiple campaigns. Most of the campaign follows Link, Zelda, Impa, and the champions as they try to awaken Zelda's power and the divine beasts, we can call this the "Awakening" campaign. The other characters appear in it, but they are not playable, and the story covers a lot of the major beats from the BotW memories. It probably ends around the time the calamity awakens. This is probably at least 50% of the campaign length.

After clearing that we gain access to other, shorter campaigns staring the other characters. Maybe we unlock a "Defense" campaign staring Rhoam, Purah, and Robbie, as they try to muster Hyrule's forces after Ganon awakens and corrupts the guardians. We find out what happened to the nation and how the army responded to the calamity, we see Rhoam fall, and the remnants of Hryule shatter.

Then we unlock a "Sabotage" campaign from the Yiga perspective, where it basically shows us how all of this happened, how was Ganon able to corrupt the guardians and catch everyone off guard.

I could also see a 4th, "Aftermath" or "Hope" campaign, centered around preparing for when the hero awakens, this would be centered on Kass's teacher (I was hoping he'd get shown off in this week's video, but no luck) gathering the songs about the shrines. Maybe he's put on this mission by either the Great Deku Tree or Maz Koshia and is joined by Hestu and Maz as playable characters. I'm currently working on the assumption the bonus campaigns would do 3 characters each (Rhoam, Purah, and Robbie for Defense, and Kogha, Buff Yiga, and Cloaked Figure, for Sabotage) hence why I went with Hestu and Maz.

We would probably get the final Zelda mission, with her sealing powers, after we complete all the other campaigns. She's purposely overpowered in this final mission, but toned down for adventure mode.

This is mostly wishful thinking on my part, but it would be nice to see these characters playable in story sections, not just in a hypothetical adventure mode.

Zaiven

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 12, 2019
My guesses:

-- Rhoam will only be playable in the main "story mode" (whatever that is) for one chapter, in Hyrule Castle/Castle Town at the beginning of the calamity event, and then will die. He's not being announced ahead of time so as not to take away from the impact of that sequence.

--Hestu will be an unlockable character, probably having something to do with Korok Seeds. Unlockable characters probably aren't being announced ahead of release.

-- Kohga/Blademaster/New Villain will almost certainly be playable, but only by getting far enough in the story to unlock the villains' chapters.

-- No idea about Robbie/Purah. They don't really strike me as being "unlockable" like Hestu, but they also don't strike me as having playable appearances tied to major plot-related events like Rhoam. It could be that they're the ones who carry Link to the Great Plateau after the battle at Fort Hateno, and that's the first/only time they're playable in the main story mode, and that could be considered a spoiler, so they're not being announced ahead of time. Then again, as HockeyBird said a few posts up, depending on how far the story goes, Robbie and Purah almost have to be PCs, since there won't be anyone left, aside from Zelda and Impa, both of whom (especially Zelda) will be locked into canon routes at the end of the game.

-- The Nintendo Dream scans seem to have an image of Akkala Citadel, which might indicate we'll be playing through that mission. No idea who would be the PC there, as none of the characters we know of were present for that.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think it comes down to whether there will be a non-canon free play mode. Nintendo might have some weird resistance to including a non-canon side mode in a canon Zelda game.

I believe the campaign of Four Swords Adventures was canon (lol), but it had side modes like Shadow Battle that probably weren't canon, so that could be a precedent.

Well, to bring it back to the Pirate Warriors example, there were characters who simply only appeared in cutscenes, never in gameplay. So there's one way that the presence or absence of a side mode doesn't impact if a character can appear in a trailer and not be playable.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My guesses:

-- Rhoam will only be playable in the main "story mode" (whatever that is) for one chapter, in Hyrule Castle/Castle Town at the beginning of the calamity event, and then will die. He's not being announced ahead of time so as not to take away from the impact of that sequence.

--Hestu will be an unlockable character, probably having something to do with Korok Seeds. Unlockable characters probably aren't being announced ahead of release.

-- Kohga/Blademaster/New Villain will almost certainly be playable, but only by getting far enough in the story to unlock the villains' chapters.

-- No idea about Robbie/Purah. They don't really strike me as being "unlockable" like Hestu, but they also don't strike me as having playable appearances tied to major plot-related events like Rhoam. It could be that they're the ones who carry Link to the Great Plateau after the battle at Fort Hateno, and that's the first/only time they're playable in the main story mode, and that could be considered a spoiler, so they're not being announced ahead of time. Then again, as HockeyBird said a few posts up, depending on how far the story goes, Robbie and Purah almost have to be PCs, since there won't be anyone left, aside from Zelda and Impa, both of whom (especially Zelda) will be locked into canon routes at the end of the game.

-- The Nintendo Dream scans seem to have an image of Akkala Citadel, which might indicate we'll be playing through that mission. No idea who would be the PC there, as none of the characters we know of were present for that.
FYI there will likely be an entire act or two of the plot pre calamity as we know of a bunch of stuff happening in the leadup to it.
Well, to bring it back to the Pirate Warriors example, there were characters who simply only appeared in cutscenes, never in gameplay. So there's one way that the presence or absence of a side mode doesn't impact if a character can appear in a trailer and not be playable.
Pirate Warriors has also built up the number of npc's over 4 games and several are reskinned generic commanders. It's also not really a good comparison as almost all the npcs are single or 2 appearance bosses not main allies. It also has roster of over 45 characters now.

Looking at the artwork I fully expect King Rhoam to be playable while Robbie and Purah will stay NPCs.
or Robbie and Purah's movesets are story spoilers and involve tech that'll be a different render. Way too early to call

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Pirate Warriors has also built up the number of npc's over 4 games and several are reskinned generic commanders. It's also not really a good comparison as almost all the npcs are single or 2 appearance bosses not main allies.
Is that really a relevant distinction though? It's not like there's 20+ major characters that AoC is obligated to pull in to tell its story. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a significant amount of assets reused from BotW proper, so it's not like this is being built from scratch.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is that really a relevant distinction though? It's not like there's 20+ major characters that AoC is obligated to pull in to tell its story. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a significant amount of assets reused from BotW proper, so it's not like this is being built from scratch.
Most themed Musou games that still say Musou tend to still have a good number of playable characters outside of the main story cast. And in this case these guys are story cast and there's a lot of events where the core 7 we know so far aren't there or out of action. Just too early to call the playable roster especially since the official site hasn't gone up yet

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Rhoam is a beast. I dont think he perishes during the calamity but instead just dies of old age and his spirit lingers due to regret and stuff.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Love this idea, I hope unlockables come in more significant ways than the original HW (grinding on adventure maps)

I'm guessing the koroks will be the skulltula equivalent for this game.

I'm super curious what they do for adventure maps, whether similar to HW1 or something else entirely.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Rhoam is a beast. I dont think he perishes during the calamity but instead just dies of old age and his spirit lingers due to regret and stuff.
"Creating A Champion" says that King Rhoam dies at the start of the Calamity

Would be neat if we got a mission inside Hyrule Castle where he makes his last stand

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that Calamity Ganon doesn't immediately kill everyone at the castle when he returns, since in BotW the champions were at the gateway to Mount Lanayru when he appeared, so it would've taken them some time to get back to the castle, and in the footage we've seen Link, Zelda and Impa crouching at the castle during an earthquake, and witnessing the Guardians emerging from the four pillars, so they do return there.