• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
howacobanner1iktz9hkuy.png

0krAPcj.gif

Developer: Omega Force / Supervision by Nintendo EPD
Publisher: Koei Tecmo (Japan) | Nintendo (NA/PAL)
Release: November 20, 2020 | Final Expansion Pass Content: October 29, 2021
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Pikmin but Backwards + Swords
Multiplayer: Local splitscreen co-op for 2 players
Online: Still no :<
DLC: Expansion Pass available for 20$/€
Demo: Yes, saved progress carries over to the full game.
File Size: 10.8GB (base game)
eShop pages: EU | AU | NZ | US | CA | BR | JP
Original Base Game OT: Here

aocstorypwkjk.png

tenor.gif
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity takes place 100 years before Breath of the Wild and tells a version of the events depicted in that game's "memories" chronicling the backstory.

While locking Calamity Ganon in place during its attack on Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild, Zelda's magic firing off causes a tiny Guardian to be sent back 100 years in time and it captured images of the catastrophic battle in the future. Link, Zelda, and Impa examine it with a Sheikah Slate that can somehow interact with the tiny Guardian...

Will it affect how events play out in the past?

Play the game and find out...

tenor.gif
What game modes are there?
Unlike the original Hyrule Warriors, all the content from the various modes (such as Adventure Mode) has been seamelssly integrated into the world map from Breath of the Wild/Age of Calamity. This means that special challenges (like those found in Adventure Mode maps) and NPC interactions as well as things like crafting and upgrading are all accessed through locations on the same map screen used to navigate the "main story."

What's in the Expansion Pass?
The Expansion Pass is split into two waves and goes for $19.99 | €19.99 | £17.99 (cannot be purchased separately). As a purchase bonus, you get a new outfit and weapon for Link:
  • Prototype Ancient Helm, Prototype Ancient Cuirass, Prototype Ancient Greaves, Prototype Ancient Short Sword
guardian_aoc.gif

Pulse of the Ancients (Wave 1), released June 18, 2021:
  • New playable character: Battle-Tested Guardian
  • Two new weapon types: Flail for Link and Master Cycle for Zelda
  • New location: Royal Ancient Tech Lab
  • Apocalyptic difficulty mode
  • New "Vicious Enemies"
  • New challenges and side quests
  • Four new music tracks

ff927921beea8df8a2c18227ebc7e4ab119f8199.gifv
Guardian of Remembrance (Wave 2), released October 29, 2021:

• New story arcs (Battle for Kakariko Village, Battle of Goponga Village, and more)
  • Two new playable characters: Purah & Robbie, Sooga
  • New stages (Coliseum Lanayru Road, and more)
  • New battle skills for existing characters

aocmediabiklf.png

Last edited:

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Hey! Minor typo:

Bought this yesterday and got the Flail. Loving all the new stuff I'm seeing, and the second wave wasn't available yet! Hoping this DLC brings a lot of content. While AoC is great, it felt lacking compared to the original (though the original is a behemoth...).

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I've been waiting so long for this, I love this game so much I wanted to delve into it again.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I haven't even unlocked the character it's making me play as LOL

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
Man.. I liked the base game even though I preferred the previous one more. The main issue is without a doubt the very rough performance. Game needed some optimization patch, even if it meant less enemies on screen.

Sooga and new maps are a welcome addition, which might convince me to buy the expansion pass and overlook again the performance.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was waiting for both of the expansions to come out before jumping back in, exciting.

Completely missed that Sooga was being made playable, I remember seeing Purah & Robbie being announced

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I'd really like to play this game but only on a theoretical Switch 2 where the games famerate isn't horrendous

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Waiting to hear some final opinions on the DLC overall to decide if it's worth it. As someone who completed everything within a month of release, I really wanted some extra modes to make use of my developed characters, as I don't have any interest in replaying it in a higher difficulty.

I guess getting new areas and challenges for the new characters should give enough new content, but I also hope it's more meaty than the epilogue, story-wise.

The base game was amazing in any case! Each character really felt unique and I loved how much the gameplay was intertwined with the story.

Nitpick on the OP, but EU =/= UK. Love the Pikmin joke, though, haha.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the previous dlc yesterday in preparation, can't wait until im off work to play it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for the last DLC before jumping in so curious to try it tonight, and seeing potentially what other stuff is in the pack that wasn't announced.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to hear some final opinions on the DLC overall to decide if it's worth it. As someone who completed everything within a month of release, I really wanted some extra modes to make use of my developed characters, as I don't have any interest in replaying it in a higher difficulty.

I guess getting new areas and challenges for the new characters should give enough new content, but I also hope it's more meaty than the epilogue, story-wise.

The base game was amazing in any case! Each character really felt unique and I loved how much the gameplay was intertwined with the story.

The game is indeed much shorter to 100% than the Wii U, that said, the gameplay here makes up for it.
I found the first wave to be surprisingly meaty with the Sheikah tech tree, I expected less from it, this one seems pretty big in comparaison.
Too bad they didn't give playable Astor, like in the first Hyrule Warriors they gave us all villains as a free patch shortly after launch.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The game is indeed much shorter to 100% than the Wii U, that said, the gameplay here makes up for it.
I found the first wave to be surprisingly meaty with the Sheikah tech tree, I expected less from it, this one seems pretty big in comparaison.
Too bad they didn't give playable Astor, like in the first Hyrule Warriors they gave us all villains as a free patch shortly after launch.
Yeah they streamlined a bunch of the grinding which is a good thing. The adventure maps were super clunky

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I actually liked being able to say I completed the game. In this day and age there's always some random challenge that makes that impossible and the amount of (varied!) gameplay I got was much more than what I expected.

But yeah, if I'm going to pay for a DLC, I want it to provide enough content for those of us who completed all other missions already. It's good to know that the first wave surprised you in any case :)

Another thing I really liked was the weapon system. It felt great to customize them to get the best possible effects and I like that better than just leveling up the characters. It feels more like they are my own versions of those characters that way.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
For a moment I forgot a skill in the Sheikah tree give you chests locations, it feels like cheating with those new missions, haha.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have held off of the main game, maybe now it's time to jump in. I enjoyed the demo back then - did they ever make any improvements to it compared to the demo?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
lol so that main villain dude that does almost nothing didn't even end up becoming playable

complete waste of a character. Feels like he existed entirely to look cool in trailers

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Sooga being playable is pretty exciting. Astor was a pretty nothing villain but I'm annoyed he's not playable too, just for completion's sake.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey! Minor typo:
Not at typo :)
->
Purah and Robbie are the same character? lol
:D

OP you're an absolute real one for including Australia & New Zealand eshop pages <3
Only because long ago I saw someone use those direct links somewhere, otherwise I would've never known how to get to those!
EU=UK in terms of eShop pages. They're all entirely interchangeable. :)

Brazilian eShop Page.

Can't wait to dive back into this game. I've clocked like 170 hours in it, already got to 100% and I'm eager for more.
Thx, didn't realize BR had a web eShop too!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope theres not more Terrako only missions after that first one. It was pretty bad since they feel so limited compared to every character. Never unlocked them in the normal game so maybe it's possible to play that mission upgraded.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
did any of the original characters get new weapons?

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Do the story stuff make the DLC worth it or am I better off just watching the cutscenes on Youtube?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh, earlier I noticed that I couldn't add the pass to my wish list, but I thought it was a region problem. Turns out you can only add the game itself, at least on the website.
yea the pages are weirdly inconsistent across Europe with DLC/expansions (DLC has its own pages but season passes/expansions don't and are embedded on the main game page without wishlist options). the AU/NZ store is so much better, everything on a sleek page that points you to DLC or bundles and whatnot

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I hope theres not more Terrako only missions after that first one. It was pretty bad since they feel so limited compared to every character. Never unlocked them in the normal game so maybe it's possible to play that mission upgraded.

I remember Terrako definitely being a character who only shines once he's fully upgraded and gets some strong weapons.

I enjoyed Age of Calamity a lot, but its mission structure especially in the post-game fell victim to the game's commitment to being "realistic." Wherein the majority of the missions could theoretically have taken place during the narrative, unlike the Adventure Mode from the first Hyrule Warriors where anything goes. So despite having a battle system which could've made commander battles interesting, you end up instead with a lot of all-boss missions and maybe Astor showing up with a Malice copy or two.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I usually pick one of my lowest leveled character when you have multiple choices, so I went into that new Kakariko map with the Great Fairies, huge mistake lmao, I failed one of the optional objective because you I couldn't pass through them.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I usually pick one of my lowest leveled character when you have multiple choices, so I went into that new Kakariko map with the Great Fairies, huge mistake lmao, I failed one of the optional objective because you I couldn't pass through them.
I thought they shrunk the flower in those situations. Does it have a limit for how much they can shrink then?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they shrunk the flower in those situations. Does it have a limit for how much they can shrink then?
I do remember them shrinking on some occasions but there it didn't at all, best way I could find was to walljump.
Maybe because I ordered them to fight someone. The issue is you have to play Yunobo as well and he's pretty big too.
Monsters appear very close to the center of the town and one objective is to prevent them reaching it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
How do you access the second pack? Do you have to make progress on the first pack?

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
I don't know the requirements but a level 40 EX mission should have appeared, some of its story is about pff-screen events that happen in the later part of the main game.
Thanks. Weirdly, nothing shows up for me so i'll just chip away at the first wave of DLC to see if that unlocks it

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Might want to look at your OP on mobile, the text is jumbled next to each picture, like two letters per line. I don't usually read OPs that are just game overviews (more efficient to just ask for specific details), but in skimming this immediately jumped out.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Weirdly, nothing shows up for me so i'll just chip away at the first wave of DLC to see if that unlocks it

Has the second pack definitely downloaded? I never touched the first wave until the second came out and the second unlocked immediately.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Kakariko map is neat, nice to come back and play something new in Hyrule

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Do any of the DLC missions actually have any battlefield management?

My biggest gripe with the base game is that there's almost no tension around maintaining g/losing control of outposts like in HW:DE.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
What a shame that Astor won't be playable. I wanted to know how he connected to Cia, given how the two of them share some moves.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
I got it by going to the Redownload tab in the eShop. I didn't have to delete anything, there was just a redownload button already available for the DLC.
Worked for me, thanks :)

Just realised I didn't have it installed because of the recent switch to the OLED

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame that Astor won't be playable. I wanted to know how he connected to Cia, given how the two of them share some moves.
The DLC kinda show the origin of Astor being evil, so he got a little bit more presence.
BTW, fighting him he says stuff like playable characters like "I'm shocked!" when you electrocute him, very suspicious.
I don't remember if that happened before.

Edit : I have now 100% completed the game + DLCs, took me 92 hours, really enjoyed this game but I wish there was more to do, haha.

Last edited:

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
The first new mission seems to have insane drop rates from cutting grass. Might be useful if you need to farm those materials. Also, seems like they fixed the bug(?) where the bottom stable was always occupied by the same trader. There's not much left I need, but it would have been nice if they'd made it if a trader would always spawn in every stable (I'm sure some people are playing the main game just now).