• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I think all the movesets so far feel really good. Zelda has super fun setups where you can just kinda have everything exploding, Impa has her clones and over-the-top ninja moves, and Link feels the "smoothest" and has the most elaborate combos atm (partly because he has more combo unlocks, but also because his special trait adds a second finisher to his combos)

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Don't like the demo. Feels like story is gonna be lame too. It's not gonna be a tragic ending that leads to BotW. Gonna be some type of time travel, everything is fine now, thing. Idk if that's true, but I'm not touching that if I hear it is.

Gameplay is more fun in Hyrule Warriors imo. Just didn't like this.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I put more time into the demo, max level is indeed 20, I got Impa to max level first. Zelda and Link are about 14-15 respectively, been grinding away for material and rupees. Been trying to figure out the weapon fusion system more and I think I have a much better understanding of it.

Essentially, each weapon (in the demo at least) can be maxed out to 20, basically just feed your other weapons to your equipped one and it will level up, the interesting thing is the abilities attached to the weapons. Every 5 levels nets you the ability of the FIRST weapon you choose to fuse up to a total of only 3 abilities (so levels 11-20 don't get you a fourth ability). For example; if I have a sword with +3% damage to basic attacks and want in addition +3% attack speed, I will have to choose the +3% attack speed weapon to fuse first, than whatever weapons after that that equals too or exceeds level 5. It's important to note, that if your weapon does not reach level 5, it will just use it for experience, so save the weapons you want the abilities for, and make sure you level it up to level 5 or 10, this is where the 150% fuse experience comes in handy, it can level up your weapons incredibly fast so you don't have to fuse 5 different weapons to level it up.

Edit: Correction on the levels needed for your ability, only levels 5 and 10 are needed, the other levels are just for leveling up.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not possible to complete Anything but Bugs and A feast of greens in this demo right?
You can complete both. The thistles and armoranth can be gotten by cutting grass in the first stage and the bladed rhino beetles can be obtained as a random drop from enemy camps. By camps I'm talking about the ones from Breath of the Wild (like the skull rocks), not the outposts you capture.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I read the other day the performance was bad, but tbh aside from a few slowdowns, the demo ran beautifully for me.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Didn't want to buy this at all, but me and my daughter had so much fun wacking moblins around in co-op tonight that it's convinced me to go for it.

Xingularity

Aug 31, 2020
I've commented on this already - I find it's a bit improved over the original, but still not great. The VA is Canadian and her actual voice is much lower. I'm just not sure why they chose her to do this put-on airy English accent. If they wanted an English VA, why not pick an English VA. Jenna Coleman did excellent natural voicing in Xenoblade, and while I'm not saying they should try to rope her in again, there's probably plenty of other options. Perhaps this has something to do with localization being done by NoA vs NoE?

Oh boy, Jenna Coleman in a Zelda game would be amazing.

Either way though, it could just be me, but I never really found the voice acting and direction all too bad, even in BOTW. At most, I just thought that Impa's voice in BOTW didn't fit her too well. Localization seems fine, but other than the Hateno line (outright getting a location wrong), I'm not too bothered by it. I do hope they avoid stuff like in BOTW, where Dark Beast Ganon's reason for living is different in both sub and dub (JP version says that Dark Beast Ganon is due to Ganon's refusal to die, localization says it's due to Ganon giving up reincarnation and essentially just going all out)

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Replayed the first map again and honestly, the frame rate isn't nearly as bad as I first thought. It's certainly not the best first impression, but those opening moments are the worst that it seems to get.

Jul 5, 2019
Man, I have such mixed feelings about the demo. The combat is great and I love that there's a few moments where I actually have to think a bit more to take down leader enemies or bosses. The map designing being the BotW worlds is really cool as well and allows for some more complex level design. I have no doubt the gameplay will be some of the best of the crossover Warriors games.

The performance and story aspects worry me, though. The game has a more stable framerate in handheld mode for some strange reason, so it's fine to play then, but in console mode where I primarily play, it's rough. Really hoping for a patch to at least get it into locked 30fps but I'm not hopeful. Story-wise, I'm also very unsure. The voice acting is not great so far; I wasn't a fan of Zelda's voice in BotW and I'm still not a fan here, and the king just sounds atrocious. Likewise, the cutscene framing just feels very awkward. Dialogue is weirdly timed and a lot of it seems to be assuming you remember everything that BotW told you about the past (I wish there was more of a true opening instead of just throwing you into the middle of the Calamity). I really want to enjoy the story, as I loved BotW's world but found the lack of story lackluster, but... I dunno.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Went to where the Hylian Blacksmith Guild is in BotW, it's exactly at a place called Rauru Settlement Ruins; next to a Lake that is shaped like a Hammer!

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can complete both. The thistles and armoranth can be gotten by cutting grass in the first stage and the bladed rhino beetles can be obtained as a random drop from enemy camps. By camps I'm talking about the ones from Breath of the Wild (like the skull rocks), not the outposts you capture.

Guess I can grind a few more levels =P

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Man, I have such mixed feelings about the demo. The combat is great and I love that there's a few moments where I actually have to think a bit more to take down leader enemies or bosses. The map designing being the BotW worlds is really cool as well and allows for some more complex level design. I have no doubt the gameplay will be some of the best of the crossover Warriors games.

The performance and story aspects worry me, though. The game has a more stable framerate in handheld mode for some strange reason, so it's fine to play then, but in console mode where I primarily play, it's rough. Really hoping for a patch to at least get it into locked 30fps but I'm not hopeful. Story-wise, I'm also very unsure. The voice acting is not great so far; I wasn't a fan of Zelda's voice in BotW and I'm still not a fan here, and the king just sounds atrocious. Likewise, the cutscene framing just feels very awkward. Dialogue is weirdly timed and a lot of it seems to be assuming you remember everything that BotW told you about the past (I wish there was more of a true opening instead of just throwing you into the middle of the Calamity). I really want to enjoy the story, as I loved BotW's world but found the lack of story lackluster, but... I dunno.

100% with you on the story framing. it's like...random snapshots with no time to set up the context. It's been 3 years since BoTW, and I'd imagine a few people might play this without BoTW knowledge. Why does each character intro feel like a cameo?

that's why my fingers are crossed hardcore for the full version to have more...idk. padding/smoothness between scenes. I'm hoping when they say "save data" carries over it's your levels/items/side stuff you unlocked and not just "oop okay now heres the extra missions"

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, Jenna Coleman in a Zelda game would be amazing.

Either way though, it could just be me, but I never really found the voice acting and direction all too bad, even in BOTW. At most, I just thought that Impa's voice in BOTW didn't fit her too well. Localization seems fine, but other than the Hateno line (outright getting a location wrong), I'm not too bothered by it. I do hope they avoid stuff like in BOTW, where Dark Beast Ganon's reason for living is different in both sub and dub (JP version says that Dark Beast Ganon is due to Ganon's refusal to die, localization says it's due to Ganon giving up reincarnation and essentially just going all out)

I don't mind most of the BotW voices, but Zelda herself always stood out to me as...not great

given just how successful BotW was, that they should pay more attention in its prequel and sequel to getting the english VA perfect. There's countless less successful titles with superb voicing.

Jul 5, 2019
100% with you on the story framing. it's like...random snapshots with no time to set up the context. It's been 3 years since BoTW, and I'd imagine a few people might play this without BoTW knowledge. Why does each character intro feel like a cameo?

that's why my fingers are crossed hardcore for the full version to have more...idk. padding/smoothness between scenes. I'm hoping when they say "save data" carries over it's your levels/items/side stuff you unlocked and not just "oop okay now heres the extra missions"
Definitely. The Robbie and Purah scene, for example... it just opens with the characters talking to them, there's some brief and weirdly phrased exposition, and that's it? I really wish there was some kind of establishing shot of the characters walking into the labratory to establish the location, and then a few seconds of the characters introducing themselves to establish how the characters know each other. Impa knows Purah since she's her sister, but does she know Robbie? Has Zelda ever met either of them before? Link definitely hasn't, he was just a common soldier until now. Without that context it just feels like a random out of context clip from a larger narrative that is only really implied through the narration. That'd be fine, if the game's whole appeal wasn't witnessing the context and finer details of the calamity.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I put more time into the demo, max level is indeed 20, I got Impa to max level first. Zelda and Link are about 14-15 respectively, been grinding away for material and rupees. Been trying to figure out the weapon fusion system more and I think I have a much better understanding of it.

Essentially, each weapon (in the demo at least) can be maxed out to 20, basically just feed your other weapons to your equipped one and it will level up, the interesting thing is the abilities attached to the weapons. Every 5 levels nets you the ability of the FIRST weapon you choose to fuse up to a total of only 3 abilities (so levels 15-20 don't get you a fourth ability). For example; if I have a sword with +3% damage to basic attacks and want in addition +3% attack speed, I will have to choose the +3% attack speed weapon to fuse first, than whatever weapons after that that equals too or exceeds level 5. It's important to note, that if your weapon does not reach level 5, it will just use it for experience, so save the weapons you want the abilities for, and make sure you level it up to level 5, 10, or 15. That's where the 150% fuse experience comes in handy, it can level up your weapons incredibly fast so you don't have to fuse 5 different weapons to level it up.

How do you get additional abilities? Is it the first three you feed it, or is it like 'feed first - this will be your ability - then level up to level 5. now the next weapon you feed gives you ability 2... etc'?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. The Robbie and Purah scene, for example... it just opens with the characters talking to them, there's some brief and weirdly phrased exposition, and that's it? I really wish there was some kind of establishing shot of the characters walking into the labratory to establish the location, and then a few seconds of the characters introducing themselves to establish how the characters know each other. Impa knows Purah since she's her sister, but does she know Robbie? Has Zelda ever met either of them before? Link definitely hasn't, he was just a common soldier until now. Without that context it just feels like a random out of context clip from a larger narrative that is only really implied through the narration. That'd be fine, if the game's whole appeal wasn't witnessing the context and finer details of the calamity.
I'm not seeing the randomness. They show the lab exterior in the cutscene right before. We know why they went there and how they got there and that R&P are ancient relic experts. That's more than enough for their introduction. The rest of the game will flesh them out more.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
How do you get additional abilities? Is it the first three you feed it, or is it like 'feed first - this will be your ability - then level up to level 5. now the next weapon you feed gives you ability 2... etc'?
Second, feed the ability first, than level to 5, repeat for the second ability, so on and so forth. The second ability only happens once you reach level 10, so it just loops in a sense. It's not; feed ability 1, level to 5; feed 2nd ability, level to 6; you have to feed ability 1 first, level to 5; feed second ability next, level to 10; so on and so forth.

I'll take pictures tomorrow and try and post them here, that should help with any confusion.

Last edited:

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Loaded the demo up on an emulator and rendered it at 4k. Art style scales so nicely, the cutscenes being realtime is a blessing.

dAXIlkG.jpg

wmhBrNk.jpg

bKmQz2L.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Second, feed the ability first, than level to 5, repeat for the second ability, so on and so forth. The second ability only happens once you reach level 10, so it just loops in a sense. It's not; feed ability 1, level to 5; feed 2nd ability, level to 6; you have to feed ability 1 first, level to 5; feed second ability next, level to 10; so on and so forth.

I'll take pictures tomorrow and try and post them here, that should help with any confusion.

thanks for clarifying -ish (pics would help too). So mainly keep your preferred ability weapons back to use carefully

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019

also! Link's intro to Impa...so just from then on he's with them? no scene of them introducing themselves? how come Zelda just casually popped out? how/why did they get from Mission 1 to mission 2? the narration felt kinda tossed in. I just...idk. I really, really want to reserve hope, especially since that intro cutscene is sooo strong.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
thanks for clarifying -ish (pics would help too). So mainly keep your preferred ability weapons back to use carefully
Yeah, I have a weapon for Impa for example that +6% monster parts and I have that on twice for her weapon. So when I wanted it a second time, I fed it in first when my weapon was level 6, than chose whatever weapons to reach level 10, and it acquired said ability.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In general I'm not sure adding such complexity was such a good idea (slate counter powers, various trigger power mechanics,, etc).
The slate power counters are pretty much the same as the item counters from the first Hyrule Warriors. The trigger mechanics are also not that different from the first game. For example Impa's symbol collection would fit right in with Zelda's light orbs, Zant's power gauge, Ghirahim's enemy marking, and so on. Hell even the glider is basically just the deku leaf from Lana's spear moveset.

On the whole I'd say this game feels like the natural evolution of the original game with Breath of the Wild flair added due to the setting.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Am I the only one that absolutely cannot stand Zelda's English VA? I wasn't around here when BotW came out so I don't know what the site's reaction to it was, but I absolutely despise it. She's not a bad VA at all, it just seems so out of place and not a right fit for the character. I don't know, it's just legitimately bothering me. I don't want to switch to Japanse VA either since I usually prefer dubs.

the consensus at the time was that the English VA didn't land very well and that the LatinSpanish/Spanish version was the best. The English version here is better then the original but still not as good as the Spanish

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God I cannot express how frustrated I am with the game not only not featuring online, but not even allowing local play where each person has their own screen. One of the main benefits of the Switch.

Absolutely insane that local play is locked to split screen, for a console that is based on having you're on set. Absolutely insane that so many indie games let me play online and not this.

Me and my buddy are done with this. We wanna love it, but fuck this man. For real fuck this so hard. Get your shit together Nintendo. The multiplayer in this game is straight shit. The fucking WII U VERSION OF HYRULE WARRIORS OFFER BETTER MULTIPLAYER THAT THIS. It at least allowed one person to play on the game pad screen. Please someone tell me how they've retracted to this.

Xingularity

Aug 31, 2020
I don't mind most of the BotW voices, but Zelda herself always stood out to me as...not great

given just how successful BotW was, that they should pay more attention in its prequel and sequel to getting the english VA perfect. There's countless less successful titles with superb voicing.

Idk, she's kind of fine to me. Her voiced improved compared to BOTW. And idk, I guess I'm just used to her sounding like this and am fine with the accent. Having her voice actor be replaced or sounding completely different between games would be kind of jarring for me though, so I am personally glad they stuck with the same actress. Now if it's voice direction, then that still has room for improvement, that I agree with

Apr 21, 2018
Me and my buddy are done with this. We wanna love it, but fuck this man. For real fuck this so hard. Get your shit together Nintendo. The multiplayer in this game is straight shit. The fucking WII U VERSION OF HYRULE WARRIORS OFFER BETTER MULTIPLAYER THAT THIS. It at least allowed one person to play on the game pad screen. Please someone tell me how they've retracted to this.

Yeah but the performance playing split gamepad/TV like that was absolutely god awful.

Although I agree, it's disappointing this has no online multiplayer.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Really worried about the story now. They had such a slam dunk ready with this, I could already see the last missions with Zelda having all her powers and making her way to Hyrule Castle with somber music playing, or Impa carrying Link to the Shrine of Resurrection. If we don't get that... It really would be such a waste.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really worried about the story now. They had such a slam dunk ready with this, I could already see the last missions with Zelda having all her powers and making her way to Hyrule Castle with somber music playing, or Impa carrying Link to the Shrine of Resurrection. If we don't get that... It really would be such a waste.
Zelda has multiple movesets. If we don't get a stage towards the end where we use her magical powers to get to Ganon I would be very surprised.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the way the intro shows the egg guardian get edited into the tapestry, implying that it wasn't originally a part of this history? It's also just kind of unbelievable that the egg guardian would play such a huge role in this period of time and yet somehow get left out of all the memories in BOTW and not have its existence mentioned even once, or that the Sheikah towers had already appeared once a hundred years ago and yet no one remembers. Either they're retconning the hell out of BOTW or it's an alt timeline. So many of the things we've been learning about this game's story only make sense to me now that an alt timeline is the most likely explanation.
Yeah, I don't get how someone can say that it's silly to think that this appears to be an alternative telling of the story when the Guardian slowly popping up on the tapestry very much implies that it travelling through time changed something in the history of the story. How much (if anything) this will actually change remains to be seen, but I can definitely understand that people are getting worried that they might try to work a happy ending into this.

BN4L6N.gif

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the context might be different with all these potential shenanigans. I just hope it's the basic story that we heard about in BotW.
I'm sure they know people want to experience the events outlined in BotW so I doubt they'll change the major beats in the main story. Of course all bets are off when it comes to side missions.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's embarrassing that Nintendo is willing to release a Zelda game in such an awful state. The framerate is abysmal. Had to quit out like 2 minutes into the first mission, just all around bad.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't get how someone can say that it's silly to think that this appears to be an alternative telling of the story when the Guardian slowly popping up on the tapestry very much implies that it travelling through time changed something in the history of the story. How much (if anything) this will actually change remains to be seen, but I can definitely understand that people are getting worried that they might try to work a happy ending into this.

BN4L6N.gif
That plus each of the Divine Beasts shows two champion figures on them instead of one.

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019

BN4L6N.gif

I get the feeling that they're going for a "time is a closed loop" situation for Egg Boi.

He is in this never ending loop trying to fix things, but despite his best efforts he just...can't. And maybe accidentally makes things worse this time around because
it seems like he might have accidentally sent through a corrupted version of himself?

So I don't think they'll actually change the direction of the story or the main story beats, just that they'll add some elements which could help set up BoTW2.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that they're going for a "time is a closed loop" situation for Egg Boi.

He is in this never ending loop trying to fix things, but despite his best efforts he just...can't. And maybe accidentally makes things worse this time around because
it seems like he might have accidentally sent through a corrupted version of himself?

So I don't think they'll actually change the direction of the story or the main story beats, just that they'll add some elements which could help set up BoTW2.
This is exactly what I thought the moment I saw it. Personally I still doubt they're setting up BotW 2 though.
That plus each of the Divine Beasts shows two champion figures on them instead of one.
The tapestry is originally for the events of 10,000 years prior. The intro of AoC seems to update it for the story of BotW; showing two figures fits with that.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
Is the zelda team capable of writing a story without falling back on the immense amount of liberties that time travel/weird time line interminglings bring to the table?

I really was too caught up in how amazing a directly connected storyline would be to even suspect that things won't necessarily play out amazingly.

I realize that we're only seeing the beginning of it, so I'll wait and see. But the intro reset my naive expectations.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to stress again, the concept of this game is fantastic. Basically everything about this game is fantastic except the multiplayer.

I can't do this anymore man. I can't deal with Nitendo's shit. I think I want to love this game so bad. But why. Why. If you're not gonna let me play online, why can't I AT LEAST PLAY ON MY OWN SYSTEM WITH MY OWN DATA?!? LIKE SO MANY INDIE GAMES ALLOW?!? WHY??

It's shit. Fuck Em.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
If this really is an alternate timeline then my theory is that the story will be a faithful retelling of the calamity up until the end and then it'll be a happy ending. All the champions will live and Zelda never gets trapped in the castle.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I get the story concerns but man now I am even more curious to see what will happen
Frame rate isnt great, but otherwise I really like the gameplay

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Liked the demo and I think handheld mode was ok but the framerate was sloppy. I liked it better in TV mode where it played a bit smoother. I hope they patch this up so that it performs better. Game has loads of potential.