• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they always said "based on the events 100 years prior to BotW", so even though it's the most logic interpretation, they never outright said it was supposed to be exactly what happened.
If it wasn't intended to be the actual events they should have said so, instead of basing the marketing entirely around that concept. If this is a big dumb alternate timeline with a happy ending the marketing feels gross.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sooo much asset reuse (to be expected), and in my opinion to many liberties.

For "thats what happened back then": we never saw the mini guardian, no one mentioned a time traveling mini guardian in botw, etc...

so either a non canon story, or
"the mini guardian only started to work when the calamity happened and moved from the prime timeline to this alternative timeline", so its a side story...parallel to the original BotW timeline.
Or "everybody got amnesia/brainwashed to only forget the small guardian"...

There is no consistens timeline variant where this is the story before BotW without either retconing BotW to hell and back, or this being an alternative timelien sprung into existence from the original.

And: the pictures they find on the guardian depict the castle during the calamity from far away...while he woke up during the event in the tower and transported right from there.... so how do these pictures exist? did zelda just stoped while they where fleeing and said "wait, let mi make a foto and send it to the shika cloud".....?

Gameplay: its a muso alright. Feels like hyrule wariors. First mission was fun, secend already became tedious to me. The framerate is something alright... Im not super fragile to framerates, but the stuttering in Links Awakening, and this... its getting hard to ignore it.

A no for me. As someone that played the original Hyrule warriors, and thinks that BotW is one of the best games ever... yeah, its a fanservice game, with a lot of loot and numbers, but not many decisions to make. popcorn game. Thats okay, if you are in the mood for it. I would rather have a good hack'n'slash (DMC, Bayonetta) or a game base around exploration (BotW).

For people that did not play HW or any musou game, there is no excuse not to try it.
The demo shows the gameplay really well.
They aren't necessarily inconsistent given what we know at this point.

A bunch of the memories likely take place before the mini guardian appeared and there's only 1 that features combat where it likely "needed" to be present, the one where Link fights the Yiga at Kara Kara Bazaar. All of the other memories depict scenes where the mini guardian simply might not have been there and might have been with other characters. And if we're focusing on the memories, it also assumes that Link is a reliable narrator whose memories as presented in the first game are accurate, which may not be true though it wasn't implied in the original game. We get so little dialogue and info about the past from Impa, Robbie, and Purah that it's not unreasonable to think that they simply didn't mention it, though Purah did come pretty close to it.

It's a bit of a stretch that it didn't show up at all, but a pretty small one all things considered.

Zaiven

β–² Legend β–²
Nov 12, 2019
Well, watching the cutscenes on Youtube (won't get around to the demo itself until at least tomorrow), my thoughts are as follows:

-- This is almost certainly going to be an "alternate" version of the events of BotW's backstory. Already the egg guardian is too much of a factor for this game to line up with what BotW presents. The ending may or may not still be the same, but from what we've seen it's already basically impossible to line this up correctly with the story as BotW presents it. And the time travel loop does give Nintendo the perfect opportunity to change the ending to at least have Link be present, if they want to.

-- One way or another, it's going to be neat to actually get to play a game with this Link and this Zelda traveling together in the present day. I'm looking forward to that more than anything else. Since I expect that Zelda will likely spend the entirety of BotW 2 captured by Ganon, this is probably the only time I'm going to get to experience this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

A bunch of the memories likely take place before the mini guardian appeared and there's only 1 that features combat where it likely "needed" to be present, the one where Link fights the Yiga at Kara Kara Bazaar. All of the other memories depict scenes where the mini guardian simply might not have been there and might have been with other characters. And if we're focusing on the memories, it also assumes that Link is a reliable narrator whose memories as presented in the first game are accurate, which may not be true though it wasn't implied in the original game. We get so little dialogue and info about the past from Impa, Robbie, and Purah that it's not unreasonable to think that they simply didn't mention it, though Purah did come pretty close to it.

It's a bit of a stretch that it didn't show up at all, but a pretty small one all things considered.
As of the start of AoC Link hasn't gotten the Master Sword yet, but he has it in all of the memories.

Oct 28, 2019
Announcement trailer "I think you are now ready, ready to hear what happened 100 years ago"

Video description "Battle as legendary warriors and experience the emotional events of the Great Calamity first-hand."

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
The time traveling plot and Zelda already knowing the outcome of things kinda killed my interest in the game... it's like this doesn't line up with the flashbacks from the original game.

It always seemed weird that Nintendo would let Tecmo make an official canon prequel, the way the story is presented it seems like it will just be another timeline with a different ending.

Anyways, the presentation in the game is pretty good, and even if I didn't love the gameplay, playing as Impa is amazing.

Zaiven

β–² Legend β–²
Nov 12, 2019
I have to say, I honestly don't know why you're having this reaction. The whole point of having a game set in BotW's backstory... is to experience BotW's backstory. If it looks like we might not actually get to experience that after all, why are you rolling your eyes at people expressing their disappointment with that? It's not like anybody's excited about this game for its riveting musou gameplay.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would literally be false advertising. They've said this is the events from 100 years before BotW. They said it again in today's trailer. It's clearly been advertised as the BotW backstory made playable, not the BotW backstory used as a base for an alternate timeline.

demo is part of the marketing, so there it goes your "false advertising"

and still advertisiment can be used as a red herring.

I have to say, I honestly don't know why you're having this reaction. The whole point of having a game set in BotW's backstory... is to experience BotW's backstory. If it looks like we might not actually get to experience that after all, why are you rolling your eyes at people expressing their disappointment with that? It's not like anybody's excited about this game for its riveting musou gameplay.

that we dont anything yet, other than the mini guardian traveled in time.

and people are alrady sying they lied and shit like that

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Well, if the marketing was bad for the game, it's a good thing they released the demo so the ones who are complaining at least can be disappointed without spending 60 dollars on the game.

EDIT: I just don't think it's a big deal. So what if the events are slightly different and don't lead to BotW anymore? It still portrays what happened in the backstory, albeit loosely.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly thinking this would have been the first warriors game I'd buy, but if this story plays out the way I'm thinking it did, they saved me $60

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

First, with photo i meant the cutscene on chapter 2, where there is the calamity, the foto that Purah extracted from the guardian.

And im not talking about links memories. Those: okay. Unreliable. But that we dont get a hint by impa and the others, that a GUARDINA came back THROGH TIME. They mention the stuff 10k years before...but not the literal time travler that tried to warn them after they already expected ganon?
Where did pura come pretty close?
You dont think they would be all over this "timetravel" tech that they know exists, and try to change time?
Shure, there could be a convoluted reason why they dont...but that actually makes it even worse, since then its a nonsnesicaly convoluted story, where the original semed so straight forward.

Zaiven

β–² Legend β–²
Nov 12, 2019
demo is part of the marketing, so there it goes your "false advertising"

and still advertisiment can be used as a red herring.

that we dont anything yet, other than the mini guardian traveled in time.

and people are alrady sying they lied and shit like that
But people are giving you reasons why they're getting skeptical that AoC will provide the experience that has hitherto been promised. Your response to those reasons is simply to roll your eyes. Why not offer up an articulate reason instead?

And yes, this is part of the marketing, and yes, the game itself is still three weeks out. That's why I think it's okay to discuss potential disappointment now, while also realizing that we don't know the full story yet. Again, I'm not sure why this seems to be so objectionable to you.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2k3HNJO.png

Prob could have done it a little faster if I didnt goof around at the start. Oh well this shall hold me off until it's out for now xD

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Warriors games tend to play fast and loose with continuity, after all the main series is based on history and still lets you win the war as any random warlord. It's possible that there are multiple campaigns with different outcomes, too.

Aug 15, 2020
I don't know what to think about this Zelda game dealing with time... Time travel has no place in this franchise, Nintendo. Next thing you know they'll start incorporating parallel worlds.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know what to think about this Zelda game dealing with time... Time travel has no place in this franchise, Nintendo. Next thing you know they'll start incorporating parallel worlds.
They should just flood everything and make the game all mountains to be real. And those mountains would become islands. Come on Nintendo, money is on the table!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The time traveling plot and Zelda already knowing the outcome of things kinda killed my interest in the game... it's like this doesn't line up with the flashbacks from the original game.

It always seemed weird that Nintendo would let Tecmo make an official canon prequel, the way the story is presented it seems like it will just be another timeline with a different ending.

Anyways, the presentation in the game is pretty good, and even if I didn't love the gameplay, playing as Impa is amazing.
The story is being handled by Nintendo though, so it didn't seem too crazy that Koei Techmo was doing the game. The biggest issue now is that if this isn't actually the events 100 years prior to BotW why didn't they say that before hand?
Time traveling guardian, the central tower, the guardian allowing everyone to use the Sheikah Slate, the tapestry having 2 champions per guardian... I just can't see this being anything other than an alternate timeline...
I'm depressed, gonna just cancel my preorder and wait to see post launch if the story is what I think it is. If it is... I just don't understand why Aonuma and Nintendo thought that this is what people wanted out of a Calamity game, as opposed to actually doing the real events.
My biggest worry now is that this is not only an alternate timeline with a happy ending, but that it will also be part of BotW2's plot and setting.

Nelthar

Jan 14, 2020
The story is being handled by Nintendo though, so it didn't seem too crazy that Koei Techmo was doing the game. The biggest issue now is that if this isn't actually the events 100 years prior to BotW why didn't they say that before hand?
Time traveling guardian, the central tower, the guardian allowing everyone to use the Sheikah Slate, the tapestry having 2 champions per guardian... I just can't see this being anything other than an alternate timeline...
I'm depressed, gonna just cancel my preorder and wait to see post launch if the story is what I think it is. If it is... I just don't understand why Aonuma and Nintendo thought that this is what people wanted out of a Calamity game, as opposed to actually doing the real events.
My biggest worry now is that this is not only an alternate timeline with a happy ending, but that it will also be part of BotW2's plot and setting.
I have same worries, but in the intro ingame i believe it was said that white guardian came back in time to fix things, but it ended being much worse.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
People aren't worried just because of time travel, they're worried about a bunch of things pointing ti this not being a game about the Calamity but instead an alternate timeline story with a happy ending
I hope we're wrong.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Please refer me to when time travel has been used in Zelda to alter a previous game's backstory. This is completely different than OoT being a self-contained story involving time travel.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I find everyone getting butthurt over their ideal vison of the story being shattered to be hilarious. Take a step back and relax it's not that important at the end of the day.

slothrop

β–² Legend β–²
Aug 28, 2019
USA
If it wasn't intended to be the actual events they should have said so, instead of basing the marketing entirely around that concept. If this is a big dumb alternate timeline with a happy ending the marketing feels gross.
The timeline isn't really real anyway. Yes they publish something they retconned together, but they don't really care about it when they make new games. They make the game and then invent a way it fits into the timeline later. Its fan service really.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I see people making fun of people being not happy with the time travel stuff...
you can do timetravel good OoT, MM, on the limited scope of those games it made sense and was not abused, the limits where clear (OOT movement between 2 fixed points in time, and MM moving to the same point multiple times with new knowledge), you can do it great (DARK, series, goo watch it!), and you can do it bad (so that it feels like fanfic and undermines the original story, like it seems to go here. Where you imideatly start to ask questions "why was this, why not that, why did they not act,...)

Thinking about it... only OoT, MM and SS play with time.

The timeline isn't really real anyway. Yes the ypublish something they retconned together, but they don't really care about it when they make new games. They make the game and then invent a way it fits into the timeline later. Its fan service really.
Shure, that would be okay if they wouldn't have explicitly marketed as what it is.
HW1 had time travel as far as i remember. nobody cared.
BotW takes Lore more seriously than your average zelda, and they explicitly said "play the events that happend before BotW".

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously love this.

Zelda is amazing, you can remote detonate many of her runes (i.e. drop icicles and detonate, spawn ice blocks and detonate, send a giant bomb rolling and detonate, etc). Do that around red barrels, flammable grass and collapsible structures and watch everything go BOOM. I also dig shield surfing as Link (just dash and then hold X) and building Impa's clone army (ZR to seal, X to absorb - three seals gives you a full army).

One nitpick, tho... The narrator (Rhoam) says the Royal Tech Lab is in Hateno. But it's clearly on the west side - they even take the Breach to get there. Hmm...

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned - Driveby Trolling across numerous posts
Personally I find everyone getting butthurt over their ideal vison of the story being shattered to be hilarious. Take a step back and relax it's not that important at the end of the day.

πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo: 'This game will explore what happens 100 years ago'
Era: 'Well yes, but we're gonna panic and say no'

What ya'll doing?

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
What are you people going on about. Just because there is time travel involved and some icons have been datamined you just started assuming the game isn't going to be cannon or legitimately connected to BotW? For the love of god just play the demo and wait for reviews, everything else is simply speculation on your part.

UncleAlbert

Mar 25, 2020
What I don't get is why the mini guardian follows Link everywhere yet we don't see it in the memories in BotW.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a guy literally making a website dedicated to the Zelda timeline: I'm fine with any wacky crap they pull. This "they promised us the story would be...!" is so tired, who fuckin cares people, welcome to the entire history of the Zelda timeline. Every new game completely fucks up the last one, no matter how they sell it ahead of time. I'm here for it, excited to see how out of control it gets.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
I dont think this future stuff really matters. All we know it could be a closed time loop which makes sense. But even if it isnt its not the first time this happens in the zelda universe...

I love the story part and like the gameplay. I am a bit worried about it becoming repetitive - anyone with experience in dw games can share an opinion?

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Original HW is one of my most played games ever and I am so excited for the full thing now.

Absolutely love all the new mechanics. Link's new moveset is already an improvement, slate abilities to counter larger enemies, flurry dodge... Feels great to play. Just have to hope they have an extra mode on par with Adventure Mode. If they can pull that off then we have a fantastic sequel here.

The wait for the full release is gonna be brutal!

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm thinking everyone's still gonna die. I just noticed you can parry enemies and guardian lasers with link.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The tapestry being altered to have 2 champions per guardian and the white guardian also makes zero sense because the tapestry is about the events 10,000 years ago, not 100.
Haha, stupid butthurt idiots that liked the idea of actually playing a prequel to Breath of the Wild.
We don't need posts like this.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think this future stuff really matters. All we know it could be a closed time loop which makes sense. But even if it isnt its not the first time this happens in the zelda universe...

I love the story part and like the gameplay. I am a bit worried about it becoming repetitive - anyone with experience in dw games can share an opinion?
Well, I believe it's not very repetitive because you can change characters, weapons, fight different types of missions and stuff. But the gameplay loop stays the same, the combos stay the same, etc.

You might say it's repetitive and I agree. I just don't see this as a negative. I clocked more than 100 hours in HW and more than 50 in Fire Emblem Warriors, and sometimes it's relaxing that there is some repetition.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hylian Shield being in trailers is BEYOND disgusting, my BotW flashback Link wouldn't be caught dead using a shield, I broke my Switch in half and will burn down Nintendo marketing of America as soon as I get vaccinated for Covid.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I love the FF7R parallels here. I love how crazy that game got and I'm 100% here for this craziness too.

Especially if they can find a way to include

RIJU