• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not interested at all but I'm happy for the fans of the first game. I didn't see this announcement coming.

PlayStation and Nintendo both have nothing for me in the second half of the year. Guess that means it is backlog time.

Nov 17, 2017
I wonder if this game will have larger maps or maybe some sort of traversal between areas.

Hyrule Warriors was great with its arcade like mission select that throws you right into the action but I can't help but wonder if they'll take some more inspiration from BotW and have an almost open world approach that obviously is to a much, much reduced scale. It seems like they're basically using the exact map from BotW for locales. Basically, I'd just like to walk around Hyrule Castle Town and possibly other areas before they were destroyed.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Well, unlike most BoTW characters Sidon was actually alive 100 years prior. He's all of about 5 but he could appear.

I could probably see the new champions (Sidon, Riju, Yunobo, and Teba) being DLC. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if they had 2 Sidons, old and young, playable. It seems like a very Musou roster padding thing to do.

Honestly, one character I'd like to see show up is Purah, she had an off screen cameo in the Champions Ballad during a flashback, I want to see what she looks like as a teen/adult and have her use tech weaponry.
Purah should be 24 years old in this game. I completely expect her and Impa to be in the base roster (and little Purah as DLC.)

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is awesome! Was thinking about finally getting to the first HW, but this will do nicely for now.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
I can't believe I'm hyped for a game that I can't win at the end of the story

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I would be okay with a more condensed roster that has characters with more fleshed out move sets.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Pirate Bae
i concede
you can pick my avatar for a week
263120083aa4feb80076502994e7db7f.jpg

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long this has been in development. Considering it's ripping gameplay mechanics from HW and assets from BotW I have to imagine it was a pretty cheap project. Still, it's a pretty cool concept and a nice way to expand on BotW.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Yes and no. No in that everything is basically structured around the fighting, but yes in that it's wrong to think of a Musou as just a fighting game, there's a bit more to it than that - I tend to think of it as more like an RTS where you control one powerful unit. A lot of the game is about scanning the battlefield map and going to where you can be most useful at any given time - you might, for instance, have to break off an assault because a flanking group is attacking one of your generals elsewhere or take a side route to open a pathway for your main forces.

Add to that a pretty comprehensive loot system - and, IIRC, the first Hyrule Warriors did have a few findable items in odd corners of the map, but I might be misremembering, and you get something that, for me, is a bit more compelling than just fighting.

To add to that, it's more than just button mashing when it comes to the actual fights. The combos are simple, but they're there for a reason. Certain characters in HW Definitive Edition were more focused on crowd control, while others were better at knocking down the Weak Gauge of monsters. And particular combos were more effective at one over the other, and they differ depending on who you're using, the situation and elemental weaknesses. Waiting to dodge a boss to reveal a Weak Gauge and trying to get hits in before it vanishes was a thing as well, and if you didn't time it right, the Gauge wouldn't even show up.

I recently tried to go back to Warriors Orochi 3 a couple months ago and dipped after one battle because Hyrule Warriors just made everything so much better.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man i need this! Though i'm not the biggest musou fan, but with it being canon and telling the story before the calamity there is no way i'm going to miss it.

May 17, 2020
Purah should be 24 years old in this game. I completely expect her and Impa to be in the base roster (and little Purah as DLC.)

Huh, I didn't know she actually had a canon age. I knew she was at least adult height (based on the Champions Ballad cameo) but I assumed she was closer to the 17 of Link and Zelda. That makes it even better. Hopefully we get both her and Impa, and I guess Robbie too.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
this looks neat, why are there so many Warriors spin-off games? they seem pretty niche and don't seem to sell/review that well. are they just cheap to make?
there are so many more interesting spin-offs you could do with the Zelda franchise...
HW and FEW both broke a million and they're likely not very expensive to make.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I hope one of the maps is that massive battle that occurs at that long wall in BOTW. I forget the name of the area but it was supposed to be one of the biggest battles of the war and in the game is kind of a massive guardian graveyard.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I share the concern of others about this possibly feeling a little light in content, but for me its primarily regarding the roster. I really hope once you beat the story you unlock a bunch of characters that don't make sense to be included. I'm not expecting it to match the original version after all the DLC, that'd be ridiculous, but I do hope it includes more characters than it currently seems it will (and I imagine it will). Give me multiple Links and Zeldas even, go crazy with it. Zelda was one of my favorites in the first game.

I'm also looking forward to the hopeful return of Adventure Mode. Man, that was great.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I don't understand Nintendo at all.
This looks great. A spin off of one of their most successful games with new lore players like me will want to experience.

and they just randomly drop it on a Tuesday? I mean...what?!

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I wonder if this game will have larger maps or maybe some sort of traversal between areas.

Hyrule Warriors was great with its arcade like mission select that throws you right into the action but I can't help but wonder if they'll take some more inspiration from BotW and have an almost open world approach that obviously is to a much, much reduced scale. It seems like they're basically using the exact map from BotW for locales. Basically, I'd just like to walk around Hyrule Castle Town and possibly other areas before they were destroyed.
I mean they did open world with DW9 and see how that went.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yoo I played BoTW and my daughter was watching me, and liked the story. She asked me about the battle 100 years ago and now she will know!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors was sickeningly addictive, I put like 200 hours into WiiU version, also rebought it on Switch although I was busy with other games. Contrary to how they look, there's a tremendous amount of tactical decision-making involved, i.e. when to advance, when to fall back, which strongholds to take, what reinforcements to handle, which characters to defend, captains to defeat, etc. Very dynamic gameplay.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Okay here comes my signature Hot Take that shouldn't be a Hot Take but is because Zelda fandom:

GIVE LINK A VOICE

LET THE MAN SPEAK

Like I swear they're talking about a dramatic story and stuff but if they do backbends to try and make a silent protagonist work while everyone around him is fully voiced I swear I--

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder how long this has been in development. Considering it's ripping gameplay mechanics from HW and assets from BotW I have to imagine it was a pretty cheap project. Still, it's a pretty cool concept and a nice way to expand on BotW.
I imagine it was probably greenlight as an easy way to keep BotW relevant, while hyping up the big main course sequel coming... uhh... eventually

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OH MY GOD. THIS IS SO HYPE AND SO AMAZING.

I played 150h of HW back in WiiU and one month ago I decided to buy the DE for Switch and I'm glued to it. So this is so hype. The fact that this game has been developed closer to Nintendo's eye, is canon and acts as a prequel to BotW, suits so perfectly the events that occurred 100 years before that game, and acts as an appetizer before BotW2 (hopefully next year?) is perfect.

Thanks Nintendo and Tecmo Koei.

Btw: make Xenoblade Warriors next, please.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope one of the maps is that massive battle that occurs at that long wall in BOTW. I forget the name of the area but it was supposed to be one of the biggest battles of the war and in the game is kind of a massive guardian graveyard.

Isn't that
Where link finally succumbs to injuries against a insane guardian horde? It's a graveyard because he killed all of those there single handedly. If so, that'll definitely be in the game.
Granted it's now been years since I played BOTW so I might just not be correctly remembering.

edit: I did misremember, Zelda first awakens her triforce power there and wipes out a bunch of the guardians too.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Not particularly exited for this game but I I have to say the Idea behind it is crazy good. Aonuma is a genius creating an idea like this. Like if you need a reason to sell Hyrule warriors what else

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Okay here comes my signature Hot Take that shouldn't be a Hot Take but is because Zelda fandom:

GIVE LINK A VOICE

LET THE MAN SPEAK

Like I swear they're talking about a dramatic story and stuff but if they do backbends to try and make a silent protagonist work while everyone around him is fully voiced I swear I--

no

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

GIVE LINK A VOICE

LET THE MAN SPEAK

HYA!
HUH!
HAI!
HOYA!

That's all you're getting

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

GIVE LINK A VOICE

LET THE MAN SPEAK

'HYA EYYYYYYYYY'

VOILA, LINK HAS SPOKEN!
You won't get this, sorry :(

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that doesn't make sense if this is a canon entry:

How is Zelda using the Sheikah powers during the Calamity? Zelda didn't unlock her powers until everything was already too late. The Champions were already defeated, Link was on the verge of being hit with a killing blow and out of desperation Zelda actually used her powers.

Probably:

The story of the game will get to the part where the Champions fall and everything goes to hell, leading to the event where Zelda unlocked her abilities. After all, they never showed us how Calamity Ganon got sealed after Link was in stasis, so the finale of the game could very well be goddess-powered Zelda vs. Ganon.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

GIVE LINK A VOICE

LET THE MAN SPEAK

I think that's what the little guardian buddy will do much like Proxi in the original.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

GIVE LINK A VOICE

LET THE MAN SPEAK

I hope they never, ever do that.

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like such a great obvious idea and yet it had never occurred to me.
War-time prequel to BotW in Warriors style...it's perfect.
I'm pretty positive about this, excited to play it.
Maybe now I'll finally finish BotW...I've been putting that off because I don't want to say goodbye