• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As the title states, Capcom just revealed RE3make and to the surprise of everyone it has more of an action slant than RE7 and RE2make before it. However, said title is more akin to Rev 2/ RE4 meaning while it might have some outlandish action concepts here and there. It doesn't go to the extremes that RE6 or RE5 amounted to.

While more than enough fans of the series will play anything with the RE name slapped on it. There's definitely a very passionate/vocal part of the fandom who are very cautious about anything that might take such an approach, which is why this thread is more directed to those members. Would you be cautiously optimistic so long as the footage shown looked good? Or would any attempt to try something like this make you feel as if capcom is already in-line to "Ruin RE yet again".

RE3 is typically referred to as the most action-oriented title in the classic series. A large part of that being due to it starting out as a spin-off before changing gears into a mainline title. So to me, such a change up from RE7 & RE2make would be interesting to see. Capcom has proven they can master the Classic Survival Horror style now, so the idea of them being able to actually balance Action/Horror would be interesting to see (We saw a bit of this in the Not a Hero DLC in RE7).

This would likely come with new ideas for how gameplay is presented. Nemesis can run, so perhaps you would need the ability to sprint away from him while on the streets. Zombies biting at your heels could actually result in a headstomp, due to the massive number of them compared to RE2make. Another idea would be enemies don't drop ammo, unless they're wearing a backpack (Like in the Ghost Survivors DLC) or would have reason to drop such things (Mercs or Cops having ammo wouldn't be odd).

There's also the angle of RE3make being the return of RE's Mercenary Mode, which is a fan favorite. While the original RE3's Mercenary Mode is very different from the one's presented in RE4-6. The newer style of mercs has more people clamoring for it compared to what RE3 offered back in the day. RE3 as a whole never received the same sort of "classic" status as RE2, so changing things around is more viable this time around without much pushback from the community.

TL:DR - Re3make is more action-oriented but not ridiculously so. How can capcom go this route without you worrying about the future of the franchise.

No mater what style RE3make is, the Regina costume has to come back tho.
f5455579a8e2e3cd620315e885ba6ae4.gif

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Include a what if mode where Regina goes around Raccoon City suplexing zombie dinosaurs and doing Hurricana/Frankensteiner on a zombie T-rex.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it is more focused on action like RE3 was then I am not worried.

RE8 should continue what 7 did though, and that includes FPS view.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
3 is the only mainline entry i have not played, but from gameplay things ive watched it always seemed to be the more action oritentated RE game of the original three, so this seems like a logical step in the right direction ?

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I probably wouldn't buy it. Action resident evil just isn't for me anymore. It's just not what I want.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they could oull it off as long as they nail the tone. Nemesis has a rocket launcher.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think when they do RE3 Remake it won't be a million miles from what we just got with 2, tbh. Stylistically I'm sure it'll be a bit more of an action game - just like the originals - but I can't see them not doing just as they did on PS1, reusing the work done on RE2 to turn around RE3 quite quickly. RE8 will be when we'll really get answers to what direction this series is gonna go in.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried, I want them to stick with good level design and enemy encounters. However, I don't want them to remove the survival horror aspects of it even if it a bit more action focused. Also hope they don't have enemies drop ammo and cash for weapons, remove puzzles, and do horde rush like in RE5 and RE6)

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be happy if they just make it more open while sticking to the classic level progression of the old games. I don't wanna see suplexes and kicks. Keep the RE2R combat but allow Jill to kick heads off Zombies if they grab her while downed, especially if zombies will be respawning in the street sections when you're en route to the interior levels.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these ideas are actually good, like the backpack zombies from GS. I'd also be down for modern Mercenaries for sure.

But the core game needs to play and feel like REmake 2. They perfected the RE formula. No melee, limited supplies, puzzles, backtracking. RE3 wasn't that actiony. It was still a core survival horror experience. They are free to remix the game and expand on it, but keep it survival.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2 got me really interested in the RE series, and then I went and played through RE4. They're both masterpieces to me despite having very different gameplay styles, so if REmake 3 takes from either of them I will be in love with the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
All that matters to me is how the game balance and mechanics with Nemesis works. I never thought RE3 was one of the greats in the franchise when it came to atmosphere or story to be honest.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing that would necessitate R3make being more action is the nemesis' move-set in relation to previous games' baddies.

The entirety of the rest of the game is bog-standard old-school resident evil, but often with more of each enemy on screen to deal with. I don't think it'll be action.

I expect that Nemesis will show up in more set-piece settings. I don't think they'll recycle the Mr. X design because of the logistical nightmare it would cause.

I would like to see maybe more serious boss-fights but randomized. Like there are 8-10 locations he CAN show up for a boss-fight, but it'll randomly spawn those fights. That way everyone's playthrough is a little bit different, but Capcom can focus on building substantive mechanics into each individual fight. Just like in RE3 when you sometimes get options how to approach the situation, like the restaurant kitchen encounter.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely no fears. Though I do believe they will continue the RE Remake style(looks, game-play etc.) with RE 3.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
There's no fears to quell. Action RE is amazing and I welcome it as much as horror RE. As long as Nemesis is persistent, threatening, and imposing, and while zombies don't need to be as brutally hard to kill as in RE2make, I desperately want Capcom to keep the gore/dismemberment system they designed.

I also would like to see the melee attacks and dodge system return too. Dodging attacks and firing while supine in RE6 was really satisfying.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
They won't be able to quell my fears. Well, fears isn't a good word... more like disinterest. I have very little interest in action RE.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Original RE3 is an action game anyway. Hell director Aoyama even regrets it's not more action. I say keep the RE2 remake gameplay mold, add dodge + parry, defensive melee and sprint. Jill is a veteran of STARS and mansion incident survivor, let her be badass for the most time and mainly only Nemesis being the threat.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've just released 2 and it's selling like free sex, so why would they make 3 like Rev 2?

Expect RE2 remake but it's 3.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I think when they do RE3 Remake it won't be a million miles from what we just got with 2, tbh. Stylistically I'm sure it'll be a bit more of an action game - just like the originals - but I can't see them not doing just as they did on PS1, reusing the work done on RE2 to turn around RE3 quite quickly. RE8 will be when we'll really get answers to what direction this series is gonna go in.

Well yeah pretty much, we know the evolution of the RE Engine is being done as we speak.

I expect RE3 to be cross gen title.. it's hard to leave behind 94M PS4 sold.. plus engine makes wonders they'll lock it down to 30 and be done with it

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It probably wouldn't be worse than REmake 2 then, utterly tedious when it takes like 6 head shots to take down a zombie. More firepower is needed if they're going with those overdurable zombies and if the nemesis teleports consistently like Mr X. I wonder if they're make the horror aspects even lamer like the clock tower is super dark and like all the enviroments get repetitive.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm okay with RE3make being Action as long as Nemesis stays scary as hell.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
They've just released 2 and it's selling like free sex, so why would they make 3 like Rev 2?

Expect RE2 remake but it's 3.

RE3 was always a bit of a black sheep to the other Classic Titles. You look at RE1, 2, 0, CVX and they're very different in tone and mechanics from what RE3 is. As I said, the idea isn't that they'd go crazy and make this RE6. But something more like Ghost Survivors (The large amount of enemies on the streets) with additional mechanics would be able to carry what RE2 did, while always saving the remake from being labeled as "DLC for RE2"

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I missed the reveal, care to share it?

I love RE4, but I also love RE2 and RE2 Remake (the later pacing seems perfect for the overall vibe of Resident Evil).

Although the minute to minute gameplay is indeed more fun in RE4 style.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Re3 is allowed to do whatever it wants since it's a glorified dlc from the old days.

Go nuts.
I assume this is a sarcastic post made before people come into this thread to post the same thing non-sarcastically.

All I would like in REmake 3 is a dodge. I don't want melee attacks or any of that nonsense as it was not part of the design for the original game. I'm hoping Capcom does not include that in REmake 3. They should save that stuff for future games.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want RE3make to be like RE2make. I don't want it to be like RE4 where Leon was doing suplexes and shit. Add the dodge move from the original and that's it.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
I can see why they would go with this. Much of gameplay in RE3 takes place within the streets of Raccoon city instead of closed environments like in RE0/1/2 and the classic RE3 did have a lot of ammo laying around to take out the zombies and battle Nemesis.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care what they do. Just give me another amazing game on the level of REmakes 1 and 2, or RE4. Action versus horror is of little importance to me, when the quality of the game would hypothetically be super high either way.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
RE3 is my favorite game in the series. I'd be very disappointed. I see no reason for the game to be drastically different to the REmake 2, which already felt more actiony than the original RE2.

Seriously, why would anyone want it to change that much? REmake 2 is the perfect blend of action , and scary slow paced game. All they need to add is more random elements, and include all the rewards from the original game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE2R is already very action though?

It's basically an action RE in a classic RE like setting/progression, that's it.

It doesn't have parrying and melee but it has knifing and counter items instead, with the gunplay centering around precision shooting. The only thing it's really missing is a dodge mechanic.

You also get a ton of ammo in all difficulties to take out most enemies you come across. And healing items up the wazoo.

So yeah, if so many people are fine with the current RE2R then Capcom would have nothing to worry about with RE3R.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
RE3 was a game made to fit into a template where it didn't belong to begin with anyway. It tried to give classic RE a more action-oriented slant but didn't dare abandon fixed camera angles and tank controls, so the end result was half-baked at best. I always loved what the game tried to do, but in the end I never really liked it because the execution leaved a lot to be desired.

So I'm all for Capcom to do with the remake what the game should have been originally. Fast action, dodges, gunplay, interactive environments and multiple choices - the latter a bit more significant than in the original, please. Also give me playable substories, or even extra main story sections with the mercenaries. Make the Nemesis fights more dynamic and creative, let me use the environment against that bastard. All of this while maintaining the survival aspect à la RE2make, ie don't turn Jill into a one-man army.

There's so much that could be done with RE3, but action is the way to go no matter what. It's what the game was meant to be from the start.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
RE2R is already very action though?

It's basically an action RE in a classic RE like setting/progression, that's it.

It doesn't have parrying and melee but it has knifing and counter items instead, with the gunplay centering around precision shooting. The only thing it's really missing is a dodge mechanic.

You also get a ton of ammo in all difficulties to take out most enemies you come across. And healing items up the wazoo.

So yeah, if so many people are fine with the current RE2R then Capcom would have nothing to worry about with RE3R.
RE2R is less of an action title (or at least, equivalent) than the original RE2, if we're going by how much ammo the game showers you with. Way too many grenade rounds, and too much shotgun ammo in the original. You can just kill everything.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I assume this is a sarcastic post made before people come into this thread to post the same thing non-sarcastically.

All I would like in REmake 3 is a dodge. I don't want melee attacks or any of that nonsense as it was not part of the design for the original game. I'm hoping Capcom does not include that in REmake 3. They should save that stuff for future games.
I'm not joking, re3 is barely a game. Capcom should take all the liberties they want with this particular entry. Also, the game was always more on the action side of things. With that said I'm not saying for the game to go RE6 nuts but there's nothing sacred outside of Nemesis.

Get creative and do a Carlos campaign.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Also, I see no use for a dodge mechanic, outside of qte dodge for Nemesis.

It's going to be very disgusting if Jill starts performing drop kicks, and zombies start leaving gems, and ammo. 🤢

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RE2r is already close to the likes of Rev2 tbh. All that's needed is a dodge function like the original RE3 and maaaaybe contextual actions (y'know without the suplexes and crazy acrobatics, just like Rev2) and we're there.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
If they add suplex or melee then I'm out. Having shiny ammo drop from the enemies would be a major negative for me.
I think a dodge should be there like the original. Also environmental take down return would be cool.