• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I disagree, but you're more than welcome to accept everything as true regardless of evidence.

However, the statement itself is an observable truth and is backed up by the evidence of it being repeatable and observable. Scientists rejects countless claims every day due to lack of evidence.

Edit: If it makes it easier to understand, think of it like a hypothesis that's then backed up by repeated instances of it being true, that being the evidence.

"I disagree, but you're more than welcome to accept everything as true regardless of evidence." <--There is no evidence that I accept everything as true without evidence, what a false claim. That's why I demand evidence, and really you nor any atheist have provided it.

"However, the statement itself is an observable truth and is backed up by the evidence of it being repeatable and observable" Nonsense 0 evidence.

What you are saying is that the evidence in other arguments simply backed the quote and prove it that it is true. Which if you apply this theory, then it can be the same for every religious argument, and that will make all atheist arguments even worse.
Based on your theory, anyone can say that the evidence of nature proves the evidence of God, because men can't create nature, and yeah, it's true we can't create nature, think of it like a hypothesis that's then backed up by repeated instances of it being true, that being the evidence. Do you see how nonsense that logic is?

That assertion "in itself" has no evidence of it being true. Yet it tries to assert itself as being true.

And atheist pull evidence for other assertions and use it as an evidence for that assertion, that is bonker logic.

"Anything asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" <----- including this assertion. It is really easy to understand, and there is no evidence for this assertion, and so it dismisses/contradicts itself. But atheists just wouldn't understand/accept it, and they still think their logic is superior.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
"I disagree, but you're more than welcome to accept everything as true regardless of evidence." <--There is no evidence that I accept everything as true without evidence, what a false claim. That's why I demand evidence, and really you nor any atheist have provided it.

"However, the statement itself is an observable truth and is backed up by the evidence of it being repeatable and observable" Nonsense 0 evidence.

What you are saying is that the evidence in other arguments simply backed the quote and prove it that it is true. Which if you apply this theory, then it can be the same for every religious argument, and that will make all atheist arguments even worse.
Based on your theory, anyone can say that the evidence of nature proves the evidence of God, because men can't create nature, and yeah, it's true we can't create nature, think of it like a hypothesis that's then backed up by repeated instances of it being true, that being the evidence. Do you see how nonsense that logic is?

That assertion "in itself" has no evidence of it being true. Yet it tries to assert itself as being true.

And atheist pull evidence for other assertions and use it as an evidence for that assertion, that is bonker logic.

"Anything asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" <----- including this assertion. It is really easy to understand, and there is no evidence for this assertion, and so it dismisses/contradicts itself. But atheists just wouldn't understand/accept it, and they still think their logic is superior.
What kind of evidence would make you believe the assertion to be true?

Discontent

May 25, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling over multiple posts in this thread
Guys can we just please accept God exists and move on?

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say that with the already undeniable evidence that we already have that religion is bullshit, and with the fact that religion is responsible for most of the most heinous shit in history- things probably wouldnt change

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
As far as i know, science never wanted to disprove the existence of God/gods/a god because they have much more important matters to deal with. Why should people's blind belief in something (faith) be subject of scientific study?

I think the opposite is much more common, that is religion denying science.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I find it fascinating that bashing on religion and religious people here is widely accepted with no consequences whatsoever, when this forum is supposed to be inclusive to all people, it even states in its rules that people from all religions are welcome and no hate speech is tolerated towards them, when such thread proves the opposite, not saying all people here does that of course, there is reasonable discussion and generalization is bad, but there is also straight up hate and calling people stupid and whatnot.

Maybe you can argue that it's better contained in such threads and if you don't like it you could just leave, if that's true maybe we can try doing that with other minorities, make threads about bashing them, let's see how well that will go (hint: it won't go well)

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I find it fascinating that bashing on religion and religious people here is widely accepted with no consequences whatsoever, when this forum is supposed to be inclusive to all people, it even states in its rules that people from all religions are welcome and no hate speech is tolerated towards them, when such thread proves the opposite, not saying all people here does that of course, there is reasonable discussion and generalization is bad, but there is also straight up hate and calling people stupid and whatnot.

Maybe you can argue that it's better contained in such threads and if you don't like it you could just leave, if that's true maybe we can try doing that with other minorities, make threads about bashing them, let's see how well that will go (hint: it won't go well)

Yeah it's total bullshit. Can't tell you how many times I've been rcalled "fucking stupid" or "delusional" in a roundabout way for having religion. I (and I'm sure other religious folk) are used to it by now given this is mostly an atheist majority forum, so it's whatever.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
As far as i know, science never wanted to disprove the existence of God/gods/a god because they have much more important matters to deal with. Why should people's blind belief in something (faith) be subject of scientific study?

I think the opposite is much more common, that is religion denying science.

In popular discourse, atheists definitely try to misinterpret and deny science to suit their worldview and put religion down. Scientists are just doing their jobs.

Yeah it's total bullshit. Can't tell you how many times I've been rcalled "fucking stupid" or "delusional" in a roundabout way for having religion. I (and I'm sure other religious folk) are used to it by now given this is mostly an atheist majority forum, so it's whatever.

PREACH! HALLELUJAH!!!

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
What would an example of that evidence look like? I'm trying to understand what it is you actually want as proof.
What? Evidence comes in a lot of forms, how would I know in this case?
That is a truth that Hitchens assert, not mine, i don't agree with that. But in Hitchen's own word, he demands that any valid assertion needs to be accompanied with evidence, in which he didn't provide any, as such based on his own words, he contradicts himself.
So I don't see a need for me to bring an evidence to an assertion that has already killed itself. The question then "where is the evidence for this assertion" is to proof that that assertion is self contradicting, and thus nonsense.
And thus it is the onus of the other side who agrees on Hitchen's quote as truth, to bring an evidence to support his claim.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
It wouldn't matter. We have flat earthers, global warming deniers, creationists, etc. right now, and few people wrap those beliefs up in their core identity about who they are as a person.

On top of that, we don't really "prove" things don't exist. If we claim something is true, then it is on us to provide evidence for that claim. The things I listed above weren't proven wrong on their own. What happened was that a mutually exclusive claim was proven right.

Which is why I would say "the world is not flat" but if I were speaking scientifically, I would say "there is zero evidence that fairies exist" instead of "fairies definitely 100% don't exist."

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
What? Evidence comes in a lot of forms, how would I know in this case?
That is a truth that Hitchens assert, not mine, i don't agree with that. But in Hitchen's own word, he demands that any valid assertion needs to be accompanied with evidence, in which he didn't provide any, as such based on his own words, he contradicts himself.
So I don't see a need for me to bring an evidence to an assertion that has already killed itself. The question then "where is the evidence for this assertion" is to proof that that assertion is self contradicting, and thus nonsense.
And thus it is the onus of the other side who agrees on Hitchen's quote as truth, to bring an evidence to support his claim.
I gave evidence of the quote being repeatedly and observably true, and you weren't happy with that, so I was wondering what your standard of evidence was. Even you yourself agree with the quote in how you are dismissing it because you aren't happy with the evidence provided.

If you can give me an example of what kind of evidence you would expect, then maybe I could reply.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if that kind of evidence would even be physically producible. I struggle to think of what it would look like.

Of course, specific deities are more easily disproven since their originating source of evidence tends to be a book written by people in antiquity (each with their own contradictions and inaccuracies). Though people tend to equate the mere possibility of a higher power with evidence for their deity of choice.