• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you accept Trump stepping down from the Presidency but is allowed to walk free?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Trump agrees to step down because he doesn't want to deal with Coronavirus on a daily basis for the next however many months it will last (and it could potentially be a year+, assuming he gets re-elected). His one condition on stepping down is he cannot be tried or punished (or any of his family members) for potential crimes committed while in office and prior to being in office. State or federal, he can't be tried for any of it, ever.

Him stepping down means Pence takes over as President. Also, Trump cannot run for any public office (including the Presidency) for the rest of his life. I would also say the timeline for this would be the end of September. All of his family would still be able to run for office in the future, this restriction on not running for public office only applies to Trump. Would you accept this?

I guess the likelihood of one accepting this is how confident are you in Biden beating Trump in a general election. I think I would ultimately accept this, as much as I would hate him getting away with it, and it would certainly set a bad precedent. And I know Pence isn't much better (arguably worse in certain areas), but he'd be a lame duck President who inspires little confidence from GOP. I intentionally choose the end of September because, in that case, he serves a near complete term, so we would still have months to endure his leadership incompetence in the middle of this crisis.

I assume Era would accept him stepping down with these conditions, but maybe I'm completely wrong? In the end, Trump is a symptom (a severe one no doubt), but not the root cause.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
As a non-American, I'd say go for it. He's a garbage excuse of a human being and should absolutely be judged for all the shit he's done, but at least he wouldn't be in control of one of the biggest nations in the planet.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Have to hold him accountable and make an example out of him.

Cant just set a model of, "I'll go in and fuck shit up for 7/8ths of my term until people loathe me so much, they'll be so happy I'm gone, they'll agree to let me leave with no consequence!"

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Step down and jail is the only option. Let that cancer of a man rot in prison for the rest of his days.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
People don't understand that Trump will never be in jail. Even if he was convicted, he's going to get pardoned.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Pence would pardon all his shit like Ford did Nixon.
He's going to get pardoned by the next president if he's at risk of criminal prosecution anyway.
People don't understand that Trump will never be in jail. Even if he was convicted, he's going to get pardoned.
I think the state of New York is just waiting for him to leave office so they can charge him with a bunch of state crimes. He can't be pardoned for those by a successor.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Refusing to hold dirtbag politicians accountable for their crimes is what got us here in the first place.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
His ego would never let him do it and he needs to be held accountable for what he did. People like him have gotten away with it too many times already.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
The new narrative he will push is "I'm a wartime President and I didn't start the war with Covid-19. I need two terms"

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's not like he will be charged for crimes anyway... but him leaving would mean less suffering for minorities

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
With the seriousness of this situation? Yes. But most of his cabinet needs to go too.

No matter what happens, good luck getting a unanimous jury.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Trump voluntarily stepping down? As far as hypotheticals go we might as well contemplate if missiles turned into bowls of petunias.

Oct 27, 2017
You don't seem to understand pardons only work for federal offenses and the STATE of NY has charges against him

But then Trump appeals to the Supreme court.
They're different charges. What's the Supreme Court going to do? Say a state can't charge a private citizen because?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The cycle of blatant law-breaking, coverup, and pardoning for the Reagan, Bush jr, and Trump admins has to be broken at some point or they'll just do it again the next time they get into office. It will just keep getting worse what they try to get away with.

So when you see law twitter tsk tsking at Elizabeth Warren saying that she would set up a special prosecutor to investigate this admin, "oh no we can't have abuse of the DOJ, that's just like Trump" keep in mind that many of them are conservatives who were content with the status quo of the last 30 years.

Putting Pence in place doesn't stop Mitch from flooding the courts with unqualified judges, and it doesn't take the kids out of cages at the border, it doesn't fix the VRA, it doesn't protect Roe v Wade, it doesn't stop AMI, it doesn't stop the NRA and RNC from funneling funny money all over our political landscape. More coverups of wrongdoing and long reports aren't what the country needs to clean this shit up.

Why even do this? Like do they get bonuses for finding people? Like seriously, your job is to protect the population, not plant things on them.

This would give presidents pardon power over things like murder, it would be insane for even a conservative court to consider.

OP
OP
Mr X

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
This is such an unrealistic, random hypothetical it's not even really worth entertaining.
Trump voluntarily stepping down? As far as hypotheticals go we might as well contemplate if missiles turned into bowls of petunias.

It's not meant to be a "it's going to happen folks, I can feel it!" Just a thought experiment. I'm not naive enough to believe he would actually do it, his ego would never allow it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump will pardon himself before he leaves office and the GOP will simply accept it. He isn't seeing jail.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man ERA really lives in Earth 2. What state charges? NY has sued him for over 30 years now.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Man ERA really lives in Earth 2. What state charges? NY has sued him for over 30 years now.

NY State is currently has him under subpoena for his tax returns wrt Michael Cohen's accusations during the Stormy Daniels business. Federal courts have rejected the notion that the president immune to state subpoena for state crimes. That the supreme court has taken up the case is a joke. If he leaves office, there is no special protection for him that even they could write.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NY State is currently has him under subpoena for his tax returns wrt Michael Cohen's accusations during the Stormy Daniels business. Federal courts have rejected the notion that the president immune to state subpoena for state crimes. That the supreme court has taken up the case is a joke. If he leaves office, there is no special protection for him that even they could write.
He will get a small fine for campaign finance violation that's it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
At this point, let him off the hook, but prosecute the shit out of his family. Also, no one related to Trump in any way, shape, or form cannot run for or be appointed to any political office ever. That includes any and all associates of his both prior to and during his presidency. Family, friends, current and former cabinet members appointed by Trump...all removed and completely out of the political realm.

Add in massive penalties for any of those individuals lobbying of any kind and force any and all expenses be publically released for the rest of their lives. Trump gets out of office and out of crimes, then he and his family still have to pay.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
If he picked someone else as VP it'd be a possibility. But I'm actually kinda worried about Pence especially at this key junction so... I'd still have to think about it.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, let him off the hook, but prosecute the shit out of his family. Also, no one related to Trump in any way, shape, or form cannot run for or be appointed to any political office ever. That includes any and all associates of his both prior to and during his presidency. Family, friends, current and former cabinet members appointed by Trump...all removed and completely out of the political realm.

Add in massive penalties for any of those individuals lobbying of any kind and force any and all expenses be publically released for the rest of their lives. Trump gets out of office and out of crimes, then he and his family still have to pay.

Let's not advocate for collective punishment

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to Nixon must not be repeated. Either there are consequences or it's not worth it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Saying yes because it would only apply to federal charges and he's screwed in New York.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is going to be held accountable for nothing either way, so sure- step down.