• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So this is hypothetical, I don't want any crappy answers that usually happen here with hypothetical questions, on how Capcom "would never do this blah blah blah" because it's a hypothetical scenario in which it has happened. Suspensions of disbelief required.

The Scenario:

A senior Capcom Employee pitches a low budget, high risk Resident Evil spin-off much how the Revelations Series was a return to horror, this is a return to Fixed Camera, item management, puzzle heavy survival horror game much in the vein of Resident Evil Remake. And Capcom greenlight it on a lowish budget in comparison with the mainline series, let's say roughly the same budget the first Revelations game had on the 3DS in comparison to say what Resident Evil 5 and 6 had at the time. The subject matter could be anything ranging from Zombies, Las Plagas or a scenario similar to Resident Evil 7 (or 8).

The Question(s) is (are) would you buy it and do you think it would gain interest by the wider, newer Resident Evil fan base who are only used to behind the shoulder and first person? Or do you think it would flop hard? Or because a small, profitable cult classic spin-off that Capcom occasionally invest in?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It would flop hard if it's an AAA title priced at 60 bucks, that's for sure.

An AA spin-off at 30-40 bucks? Can do good.

Mainline RE w/fixed camera? Not happening.

It's all about FPS and TPS.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
If Capcom were to create a fixed camera RE again I would have no interest in it at all.

Those limited camera angles really arent enjoyable to me and dont add anything to the experience in my opinion.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm actually surprised they haven't done this on a smaller scale. As said it wouldn't work as a $60 title these days, but as $40 dollar titles? A lot of hardcore RE fans would be all-over it.
Mikami might've said we don't "need" that design anymore,but people do like that gameplay. Tank Controls and all.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
If it had the visuals/level design/tense survival horror atmosphere of REmake.

For sure! REmake is timeless.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'd be down for that. I'm surprised they haven't dabbled in a smaller scale RE title trying it again.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Sure, why not.
I always felt like Survival Horror games lost a sense of cinematography when they abandoned the fixed camera.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Would I? Yes. At full price too

Would enough others? Likely no.

As others imply, I think they should have at least dipped their toe in the water with a lower budgeted fixed camera spin off

Dino Crisis would have been an interesting test subject IMO. Jurassic World movies still mark commercial significance for Dino's, it's not a hugely popular (sorry Jaw) IP so could take the hit if it flops and fixed camera still has benefits in building tension

Hzoltan969

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the wording "low-budget" always has me worried, but if it was a quality game with top-notch atmosphere and graphics I'd definitely buy it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If they got it right then I'd be there day one. It's a completely different vibe to standard third person cameras and I love it.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
In this scenario it'd be similar to REmake. So it's your personal opinion on if that game was good. 🙂

I guess then, personally, I'd buy a Resident Evil Real time strategy game if it was fun and had a good story.

I also think that a good game with good marketing, sells itself. It doesn't matter what the perspective is.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. I replayed RE3 while playing REmake 3 and had a blast with it - I'd forgotten how much I'd missed the gameplay style until I really sat down and replayed 3 - that sort of gameplay + stunning visuals/BGs with the RE engine? Damn right I'd buy that day 1.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
REmake is still a top tier Resident Evil title.

Maybe if RE2make was done the same way it would have been good.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course.

OG RE games are classics. I would love more of them cause that gameplay is unique as hell these days.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Not a chance in hell, Playing RE7 in VR was a life experience. Flat panel RE just isn't the same anymore.

Has to be First person/VR.

Over the shoulder or Fixed camera is ancient and has many RE titles already for those.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
It would be well received if the game is good. Resident evil can be amazing from all angles or perspectives :)

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah I loved the fixed cameras in Until Dawn, great atmosphere.

REmake still holds up visually, not sure it'll ever happen but I would love to see another fixed camera horror game: what would great framing, atmosphere, art direction look like on modern consoles? I guess Until Dawn is the closest we've gotten to that in awhile.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a problem with tank-controls in the 24(?) years since the first game came out. You push forward, the character goes forward. The screen changes whilst you're moving, you're still going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I would.

I doubt it will happen though - I think there was room for a budget fixed camera survival horror back when they were making action RE. But now we're getting AAA survival horror games, I think they'll see it as redundant even if those aren't fixed.

Oct 28, 2017
I would lose my goddamn mind and buy it in a heartbeat.

Oh and for the record, if it was good it would be a success as a full priced release. It wouldn't need to be relegated to cheap spinoff.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I prefer the REmake 2-3 style the most, but I would buy a budget fixed camera game absolutely in a heartbeat.

I would buy any new RE game though.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster sold 2.5 million units, while Resident Evil HD Remaster sold 2.6 million. (Not including Switch sales)

I imagine a well-made RE-branded fixed camera angle game could do just as well as the above two.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I would honestly prefer it to another first-person title.

OTS > Fixed > FP for Resident Evil, in my opinion.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I would, but I can't imagine a large part of the gaming community getting into it. There's just too much of a stigma around tank controls unfortunately.

If we do we a fixed-angle game, it's going to come from the indy community.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, Resident Evil is too far down the path of FPS/TPS to go back now. And I don't think there's space in the IP release schedule to for an alternative entry.
As said before, Dino Crisis is probably better suited for this.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Of course I would, not many others outside series dedicated fans would though.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I enjoy replaying the fixed camera REs more than the third person shooter ones. Just this past week i've done 2 playthroughs of RE2 on PS1. Fixed camera, tank controls, item/inventory management, figuring out which enemies to kill and which to run past, and puzzles. I would love another old school style RE game.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Yes, immediately.

Fixed-camera angles allows you to show rooms from perspectives that aren't possible with either TPS or FPS and I miss those greatly. Also, more focus on puzzles and exploration and less on shooting would also be appreciated.