• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 11, 2017
Let's say the EVO 2020 event in Las Vegas gets cancelled and they create an online tournament instead. Then, realizing many of the games in the originally planned lineup have inadequate netcode, they decide to make the lineup the 9 fighting games with the all time best netcode. Which, if any, of the original EVO 2020 lineup would make it in? Did Street Fighter V's netcode update improve it enough to crack the top 9?
ze32GlF.jpg

I'm looking for your help to build a comprehensive list of the Top 9 Fighting Games with the best netcode:

Killer Instinct
Skullgirls?
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite?
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition?
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid?
Mortal Kombat 11?
???
???
???

(The side benefit of this exercise is to figure out which fighting games will provide the best online experience during the quarantine. Thanks for the recommendations.)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i was gonna come in here and make a sarcastic comment about "do we even have nine games with great netcode" but it looks like i was beat to the punch right in the OP.

a fuckin' shame, really.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Last Blade 2

twitter.com

KAISERWAVE on Twitter

“[SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT] SNK fans! Before a release, we normally QC to make sure a game is running smoothly, but these are unusual times so we’d like to offer you a chance to beta test Code Mystics' newest rollback update on Steam: THE LAST BLADE 2. Use beta code: StayAtHome2020”

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Rising Thunder is BACK.

Oct 25, 2017
Pulling up a list of fighting games (or competitive games) with rollback based netcodes that I feel like would be a good fit for EVO:

Marvel vs. Capcom Origins & MVC2 (sadly delisted)
Darkstalkers Resurrection
Fantasy Strike
Divekick
Killer Instinct 2013
Umineko: Golden Fantasia
Samurai Shodown V Special
KOF97 Global Match
Brawlhalla
SF X Tekken (lmao)
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (3v3 MVC-esque fighter)
Last Blade 2 (beta update on Steam, going live on PS4/Vita after beta is over).

Non-fighting games that would still be great to watch live:
Windjammers
Lethal League Blaze

Full list here

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MK11 has the best netcode with the healthiest playerbase.

It also exposes who does and doesn't have a wired connection.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Infinite and Garou, let's gooo.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seeing someone pull off KOF '97 Terry's Power Charge Infinite in an online Grand Finals would be a truly transcendent experience.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Melty Blood: Actress Again: Current Code w/ CCCaster rollback patch
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core +R w/ GGPO rollback mod.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rivals of Aether has really good netcode. It's not rollback, but it works great for me. It's a platform fighter that could replace Smash Bros. in your hypothetical scenario. It was built with a focus on competition, so the developers made sure the online was good.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
KI, Power Rangers, and the Code Mystics fighters feel better to me
That might be because MK11 tacks on a static amount of input delay if the connection is above 50ms ping (or maybe above 100 ms). But I guess the "upside" is that even connections up to something like 250ms are still just as playable as a 100ms connection. Sure, the former will have more noticeable rollback but you'll still be able to react to everything reasonably easily.

Plus MK11 in general can feel a bit "heavy" compared to some other fighters so that definitely doesn't help when you add in the input delay for online.

I've played both KI and MK11 against a lot of european players and KI will always have noticeable rollback that can make some characters a REAL pain to deal against, especially characters that can change their jump arcs easily. With MK11, it always looks smooth and as offline-like as possible.

Now if only it can get the presentation stone.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The best netcode I ever experienced is Garou : Mark of the Wolves. Although there are some serious balance issues in the game ah ah ah.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Someone just linked me to this from the EVO cancelled thread and this is worth a bump.

Let's appreciate some games with solid netcode. We take it for granted but it can be a literal game-changer.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
No lie, it'd be amazing if EVO hosted an online tournament featuring the above fighting games with good netcode. It'd probably be the one and only time these games would ever get on a major as a main stage game.

OP
OP
a Master Ninja
Dec 11, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see if/how the line-up changes. They gotta do something.
1t2sqHK.jpg

(image stolen from Twitter)

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Is Lethal League Blaze FGC? Because Lethal League Blaze.

Rivals of Aether has really good netcode. It's not rollback, but it works great for me. It's a platform fighter that could replace Smash Bros. in your hypothetical scenario. It was built with a focus on competition, so the developers made sure the online was good.

Slayers for Hire is also looking really promising (but it's not ready for prime time yet).