• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy an XSX then?

• Yes

Votes: 1,177 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,503 56.1%

• Total voters

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I know the history of the most powerful console rarely winning the generation, but the 360 wouldn't have outsold the PS3 in the west if it hadn't delivered the better looking multiplatform games for a lower price.

There are other factors, but right now we have no idea what exclusives will look like, etc. For me, MS exclusive was enough to convince me to spend more for less hardware power this gen, and it won't change next gen.

Most multiplats are played on console. It is absolutely a factor, a selling point, which consoles play them better and the PS4 would be less of a success if it had sold for $600 and been less powerful than the Xbox One.

This is all a hypothetical because Sony aren't going to pull something like that and Cerny will have put together a really well architectured box, but I keep looking at this as people broadcasting to Sony they'd still be there if they were getting ripped off and maybe everyone who voted that way is right... But we already saw what happened when Sony presumed on people staying loyal and didn't think they had to earn it.

And thankfully Sony learnt that lesson and we are all better off for it.

I don't get it. You did the same for XB exclusives this gen. You didn't buy the cheaper and more powerful system, because it didn't have the games you wanted. Why should others choose differently to broadcast their disaproval, when you didn't do it either?

As some have already said, we buy these systems to play games. Specs and price matter, but nowhere near as much.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't get it. You did the same for XB exclusives this gen. You didn't buy the cheaper and more powerful system, because it didn't have the games you wanted. Why should others choose differently to broadcast their disaproval, when you didn't do it either?

As some have already said, we buy these systems to play games. Specs and price matter, but nowhere near as much.
You don't get it because it's a typo on my part that makes the post contradict itself. I bought PS4 day one, and didn't buy Xbox One until later. I've fixed the offending sentence. Thanks for highlighting the nonsense I wrote.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Did you think the 360 library was weaker than the PS3? Third party games generally ran better on the 360 and even if the exclusives weren't your cup of tea, they had just as many as Sony. This gen I understand, though.

I can certainly see people being pessimistic nowadays.
Yeah 360 was far better until the end of the gen

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
MS would have to sort out their first party, I'd imagine that's a huge entry barrier to most people.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Exclusives, I'll buy PS5 first because Sony games are exclusive and after a few years when is cheaper Xbox as a extension of my pc just to play on the tv...

My problem with xbox is that, I can play everything on PC so my only reason to buy an Xbox ia to play on the TV.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would buy the Xbox if was 200$ more than the PS5. I will get both eventually but I mostly just get PS for the exclusives

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather upgrade my pc because I would continue to have access to all the same games anyway.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
You don't get it because it's a typo on my part that makes the post contradict itself. I bought PS4 day one, and didn't buy Xbox One until later. I've fixed the offending sentence. Thanks for highlighting the nonsense I wrote.

Ah, that explains what seemed off about it.

Regarding the possible lack of quality launch exclusives, I usually jump in day one to be part of the rush, and there's usually been one great game (Resogun, SSX) and this time one average (Killzone: Shafow Fall) to play. The launch window offering more to play, like Infamous and Shadow of Memories in the past. It's enough for me, as I also buy them for the promise of things to come, the inevitable sequels and new IPs from the first party studios, and all the indies and Japanese games that'll be there.

I did postpone buying the PS3 by nine months, until it had more games to play, and I got it cheaper (599€ with RFOM, MotorStorm, and two pads. The original price was 659€ here).

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I have a gaming PC so I have absolutely 0 interest in any Microsoft console. Switch + PC and eventually a PS5 once Spider-man 2 or GoW "2" come out.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Because I remember PS3 / 360 gen. No one predicted software turning out the way it did on that gen. Real Sony (vs this hypothetical one) aren't about to drop the ball on exclusives, and Cerny will have engineered something very developer friendly, so I don't think we'll see a repeat of that, but I just don't think platform loyalty is as much of a thing with the mainstream as people here presume.

It's a thing, for sure, but I don't personally discount PS4's success being very much based on it being the cheaper and more powerful console. That was fundamental to the PS4's success. It certainly wasn't coasting on brand loyalty after the PS3, and while I think Killzone Shadow Fall is an unfairly overlooked launch title, it's not like PS4 sprinted out of the gate with the quality of exclusives we've come to love it for. Those showed up a good deal later. It heavily leant on multiplatform games in that first year, and the power and price difference *was* the difference.

I remember that gen as well. Sony built a lot of goodwill in terms of games at the tail end of the PS3 while Xbox was floundering with their exclusive output (aside from Kinect). No wonder that success carried forth with PS4. The power and price certainly didn't hurt, but wouldn't have as much of an impact if they didn't just close out a gen on a roll with stellar exclusives.

You could call that brand loyalty, but that's shortsighted. It's consumers relying on Sony to deliver must-play games. And they do deliver. That kind of trust goes far.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember that gen as well. Sony built a lot of goodwill in terms of games at the tail end of the PS3 while Xbox was floundering with their exclusive output (aside from Kinect). No wonder that success carried forth with PS4. The power and price certainly didn't hurt, but wouldn't have as much of an impact if they didn't just close out a gen on a roll with stellar exclusives.

You could call that brand loyalty, but that's shortsighted. It's consumers relying on Sony to deliver must-play games. And they do deliver. That kind of trust goes far.
Then the lead into "TV TV TV" along with Kinect and being $100 more and always online, just killed whatever momentum the 360 had. The 360 was a really good system.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I will buy an SXS,like I been doing since the original XBox...I got the One after buying a PS4 though but now with a 1X,backward compatibility and especially GamePass,I might grab it first again and yeah even more so if its 100 bucks cheaper...we dont know release dates yet,they will be very close so probably the SXS first this time around.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm confused.

One day I'm in the Henry Cavill The Witcher "PC" thread reading how PC is so impractical because it is a rich mans platform and how you need $3k to have a decent rig.

Then, the next day I'm reading how there is no point in buying the new xbox no matter it's price or power since all of it's exclusives will just be on PC.

I understand Resetera is not a hive mind, you can spare me that reply. I just find it a bit perplexing.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I'm confused.

One day I'm in the Henry Cavill The Witcher "PC" thread reading how PC is so impractical because it is a rich mans platform and how you need $3k to have a decent rig.

Then, the next day I'm reading how there is no point in buying the new xbox no matter it's price or power since all of it's exclusives will just be on PC.

I understand Resetera is not a hive mind, you can spare me that reply. I just find it a bit perplexing.
Its OK to be confused, what I am about to tell you is VERY confusing.

Different people have.... different opinions. I know, shocking.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I play on Playstation for the exclusives. I play third party stuff on PC. Microsoft seems to be putting their games on PC, so any I'm interested in, I can just play there. No reason for me to get an Xbox.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I don't trust MS to deliver quality content, so no. But if they prove themselves through the generation I'll get one for sure

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It seems Microsoft was completely right with putting their games on PC. Seems almost every person on resetera has a decent gaming PC.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'll pick it up later on. A console is always about games more than anything. Power and price is secondary to me. Xbox first party simply isn't where I want it to be.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will go where the good games are, and most good games are multiplatform and MS is basically going through the list of Japanese exclusives Sony has left so thats probably going to make stuff easier to make the jump.

PlayStation 1th Party during the PS4 really let me down coming from how great it as on PS3. I am curious if the new leadership will mean more variety again but right now when I look at what has come and the directions both companies are going I would rather go with Xbox for 1th party.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I will, because of Game Pass. Even if it's more expensive but still better performance wise. As I mostly play third parties, I prefer to play the "superior" version even if it doesn't mean that much. And I know it's not a popular opinion, but I prefer games like Ori or Sea of Thieves to big blockbusters like Uncharted and God of War.
But I will also get a PS5 for japanese exclusives like Yakuza/Persona and so on. So in the end, my choice doesn't really matter :D