• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy an XSX then?

• Yes

Votes: 1,177 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,503 56.1%

• Total voters

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I wrote off Xbox in the middle of the 360 generation when they stopped having a continuous stream of new games. Putting their games out on PC reinforced that view further.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
No. It doesn't have the games I like. Regardless of power or price of it doesn't have Sony first party & Japanese games I'm not interested

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would not. I do not have any interest in owning am Xbox (yet). Price or power doesn't matter to me, games is the reason I buy platforms. I might get one in a few years if they start releasing some must play exclusives.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
Interesting question. Nintendo and Sony first party are huge draws for me. And I can get most Xbox games on my PC that is already, and will remain, more powerful than even the XSX. So the choice is kind of moot for me.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Always! I'd love to play BOTW with 60 FPS.

The only thing I will say in defense of Nintendo, is that at least their last few platforms have been unique, and that in some cases, there's a platform specific reason to play exclusives on that platform (motion controls, wii-u inventory management, handheld on-the-go related optimization...).
Lol but most of their games could be designed to work on traditional consoles so that's not really an excuse. Anyways, exclusivity is a good thing that pushes competition forward and should be encouraged.

Dec 20, 2017
Not initially -- I will still need a PS5 early on. PC for Microsoft games/third party, and a PS5 for Sony exclusives. I really don't see myself owning a next gen Xbox for quite sometime.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It depends really. Sony have far more consistantly delivered games that I like, and never tried to remove the concept of ownership from the industry either.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Of those the only ones that I would agree upon are GoW3 and Infamous 2.

Well, then that is a difference in personal opinion and the critical and commercial reception sides with the names I have mentioned. Sony's first party delivered last gen as well as this one. MS is gearing up to attain similar critical successes across their portfolio of acquisitions. It won't be easy (never is) and it will take time but having a significantly more powerful HW would only help them.

Of course, where the fuck Lockhart comes into play and what kind of monkey wrench that might throw at the developers is up to the future.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue I would have done a that it's almost guaranteed that the software support from Japan is not going to be the same between the two platforms, which then makes getting a XSX kind of pointless. Additionally I'm also a PC gamer so the question is kind of moot.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The answers on this board will be overwhelmingly Sony. But the reality is that the millions more casual gamers, in the US at least, and the COD/sports/F2P crowd will choose based on specs and price. A cheaper console that's more powerful will get a lot of attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Later down the line, depending on what exclusives they have, sure.

As it stands I prefer Sony's exclusive output to MS, but that can change. I'm really in it for the backwards compatibility with this gen though, I put a lot into the PS4 library. I was a 360 main for most of last gen before getting a PS3 late though and had a PS2 exclusively prior so I'm not married to one console only.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It depends really. Sony have far more consistantly delivered games that I like, and never tried to remove the concept of ownership from the industry either.

This is a main petpeeve of mine and makes me far out of step of the rest of the gaming populace...game ownership. I still have that in my mind as much as i did in 2013 with DRM.

I am not about subscription services that take away ownership of my content. I dont really have interest in playing a lot of games if i have to stay on a constant sub to do so, because if i ever lapse, all that goes away.

Its even worse regarding streaming services.

I get that for many people, gamepass type things are a super gamechanger. But its not something i feel i'll ever be comfortable with

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
These poll results aren't encouraging for Microsoft considering the situation described is probably unrealistically optimistic.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much the PS5 is and what the power difference is. I don't think the power difference will be very large, and if PS5 is $400 vs $300 for XBSX then I'm fine with buying the PS5. If PS5 is $500 then I'll wait for a price drop or sale.

By far the most important thing to me is the quality of the games, and the focus on single player games. For 3 straight generations MS has failed to deliver while always making promises. Sony and Nintendo have always had great output without the empty talk (although Nintendo sometimes has very bad dry spells).

Now if we get to midway through the gen and MS has turned things around and has a better 1st party lineup than PS5 then I would definitely make the switch over. Or just buy a gaming PC.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I have a decent pc, therefore as long as even the ms owned ips will release on pc, xbox hardware will forever be irrelevant to me.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
No, since I mostly play PS exclusives, indies, and Japanese games. The latter of which aren't all coming to XB platform, at least going by history. In the unlikely event that I'd want to play some of the western AAA 3rd party games, those will be available on PS5 as well.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have no intention of getting XSX since it would be a downgrade from my PC, and Microsoft's increased PC support means I can play Xbox exclusives there. I will most likely get a PS5 for Sony exclusive games.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the more pressing hypothesis is:

If PS5 is most powerful and $100 cheaper than XBSeX, would you buy PS5, OP?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Yes but, if the XSX is the most powerful machine next gen I'll gladly pay $100 more than PS5 too. I don't need more convincing - I am buying both as soon as I can find them after launch!

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no real garuntee about anything regarding next gen really. All this is is going on what we know and assume now

I guess if that's what you personally want out of a system, being less powerful and more expensive, that's fine.

But usually there's plenty more to think about than that
Not based on OPs question.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah my PC can make up for that. Xbox doesn't get the games I want, PlayStation and Nintendo does.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a gaming PC and plan to do a new build in 2021+ so the answer is obvious here

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if hypotheticals are allowed on Era. If it's not, I'm sorry, please delete. But I'm curious, if all other things remain the same/as expected, but the XSX is more powerful and cheaper, if that changes anything for the hardcore gamer (ie the average Era user).

I am going to say yes, but I would've bought an Xbox if it was $100 more than PS5 as my Xbox library is massive.

I just feel a lot of people overstate how important power is to them nowadays. I think it was small wormhole in time where posters adored power. But now? I think gamers have moved on because power has diminishing returns. I don't think an extra few frames beyond 60 fps makes a total difference. Hell, I bet most devs will cap their games at 60. Idk. Wanted to get your opinion. Apologies if this is formatted weird, I'm posting on my phone for the first time
No, not initially.

I like what Phil Spencer is doing. I like the concept Senua's Sacrifice Hellbalde 2. I'd like to see how the rest, outside of PlayGround Games, measure up, before I buy.

Plus, I'd like to buy and play without having to subscribe to XBOX LIve.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not about power and differences will never be that huge. Its about the ecosystem. I have many games on my PS account, I will buy a PS5 even if the Xbox is 10 times more powerful.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I will buy one eventually, but I'm aiming for the PS5 first regardless of price since I like their exclusives better. Plus I have a solid gaming PC that I just built this year so I'm not barred from any Microsoft exclusives.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I have 400+ games on my PSN account that I can most likely play on the PS5. Why would I ever want to buy an Xbox? Also, most MS games are on PC as well.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Sony for the games. The only thing that would make me pause is concern that the PS5 wouldn't sell well and some devs would choose not to put some multiplat games on there.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I already have a high end gaming PC, so there's no incentive for me to pick up an Xbox. I'll pick up a PS5 when it's available and there are exclusives I'm interested in playing, same with Nintendo, but I'm not buying at launch this time.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably not, especially if the PS5 launches with compelling backwards compatibility. I've invested too much into the PlayStation ecosystem to move make a shift like that. If the PS5 launches with a high price, I'll probably wait around a couple of years for it to come down. That would probably still be cheaper than abandoning the ecosystem that all of my content is strapped to.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will the new Xbox even have any games you won't be able to just play on a PC instead? 'cause there's probably not much point in getting one if doesn't have any exclusives.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I would only buy the XSX if it is more powerful than the PS5, simply for the 3rd party titles - specifically being able to play them at the best possible quality.

Sony has far better exclusives, so getting a PS5 is a no-brainer.

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Console warring, crass community generalisation, junior account
No, because I like Sony's dick all the way, balls deep up into my ass.

-Resetera

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Entirely depends on the games on offer on each platform. Chances are most Japanese devs will put their games on PS5, so that's where I'll end up, at least at first. Not to mention things like the inevitable Spider-Man 2 and backwards compat with a massive library I already own.

Though honestly Phantasy Star Online 2 might just push me over the edge to get Series X way sooner. Somehow that game from almost a decade ago might be my killer app.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I need the games to be there and not just for one year. Sorry to sound like a viral marketer but with the PS5 I already know I'm getting Demons Souls, Horizon 2, God of War 2, and whatever Insomniac is doing, all likely within the first two years with sequels all coming on the same console at some point.

Halo Infinite will be available at launch but I haven't liked 343 enough to buy a whole console just to play their game (especially when it's also on the Xbox One). If Microsoft can create some strong single player games then I'd definitely consider the XSX especially if your other factors are true.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I have a very beefy PC so I'm set for XGS games. If I do buy a console (big if) it would be the PS5.