• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy an XSX then?

• Yes

Votes: 1,177 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,503 56.1%

• Total voters

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I would estimate that 85-90% of my gaming this gen was done on a PS4, but I'm trying to think of a Sony exclusive that I really liked other than Spider-Man. Their exclusives don't do much for me (and their online platform sucks, as did the DS4), so at this point I am leaning hard towards going Xbox next gen no matter what.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Since I can play all of the Xbox exclusives on my PC, there's no reason for me to get the Series X, regardless of price and power.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Because while power and price probably swayed people, MS's brand being in the toilet, Sony saying and doing the right things and the promise of games probably were more important to those people.

For me in particular, i would have been an Xbox One owner if Sony had done things less perfectly and MS had not messed up big time.

But because of all the stars aligning, it was a perfect storm of a multitude of things that made PS4 successful. And now there's no real putting the genie back in that bottle for the people who believe Sony will stay the course and that's all they really need.
To that I'd say it's not 2014. Sony dropped the ball big time with PS3 but turned it around with the PS4. MS dropped the ball big time with XO but have turned it around too. MS today isn't MS then, anymore than Sony is the same it was when they launched the PS3.

I would put money on Sony offering full BC with the PS4 library. I would put my house on MS offering full BC with the Xbox One library.

Oct 25, 2017
No. I'm only buying one console next gen and there's no way I'm missing the Sony exclusives.

The Series X could be twice as powerful and I wouldn't give a damn.

Also, most Xbox games end up on the PC also, so there's little reason to buy their console.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It depends on the software more than the power. I'll buy the console with the games I want to play most. Right now, Switch, Wii U, 3DS, and PSVR have had that on lockdown this generation, with the occasional PS4 non-VR title thrown into the mix too.

I really need more arcade-like experiences or game-feel for me to get involved with a console at this point. If exclusives or a subscription service can provide that on Microsoft's machine, then that is where I'll be. In aggregate, neither Sony's nor Microsoft's first party output has catered to me this generation, with some exceptions of course.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. They won't have the awesome exclusives I know sony will have. Besides, I have a pretty solid pc now and I can play xbox's offerings on gamepass.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
MS has a lot to prove when it comes to first-party output. Buying the best performing box is all well and good, especially if you can pocket $100, but how much is that $100 worth to you over the next seven years if the best games are still somewhere else?

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Sony sell Naughty Dog and Insomniac?

Xbox is a possible second console for me. Almost no chance of my purchase at launch.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To that I'd say it's not 2014. Sony dropped the ball big time with PS3 but turned it around with the PS4. MS dropped the ball big time with XO but have turned it around too. MS today isn't MS then, anymore than Sony is the same it was when they launched the PS3.

I would put money on Sony offering full BC with the PS4 library. I would put my house on MS offering full BC with the Xbox One library.

You say that its not 2014, but to that i say exactly.

Its not 2013. Those people who have went an entire gen on PS4 and are satisfied with their experience are locked into the ecosystem and like it, and see no real incentive to change over through power or price, if they see no real appeal in MS's software library or featureset.

If we go by the assumption that Sony wont fuck up like MS did this gen, that's all that really needs to be said.

To begin with, Sony an MS were not in the same positions regarding marketshare or mindshare last gen. Even in PS3 era, Sony won back a lot of people through the games. It has always been Sony's game to lose.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You say that its not 2014, but to that i say exactly.

Its not 2013. Those people who have went an entire gen on PS4 and are satisfied with their experience are locked into the ecosystem and like it, and see no real incentive to change over through power or price, if they see no real appeal in MS's software library or featureset.
Hey, remember when PS3 was slightly more powerful than Xbox 360 and launched at a higher price point? And all the good will from TWO GENERATIONS didn't help.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
No. I buy a PlayStation for the Worldwide Studios games. I'd happily pay a bit extra for access to them.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
No, theres zero reason to buy one if you have a decent PC. They made the move to put all their exclusives there so shot their own foot.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hey, remember when PS3 was slightly more powerful than Xbox 360 and launched at a higher price point? And all the good will from TWO GENERATIONS didn't help.

Your missing my whole point that i've been trying to say to you...it also didnt help that there was no such thing as ecosystem at that time period. You could easily just buy a PS3 later on and start with 360 like i did. In addition. PS3's power advantage with Cell didnt show until 2009, before then devs were just trying to grapple with the system. When the first party games that took advantage of it showed up along with the slim, people started really biting.

Now, people have invested tons into the PS4 ecosystem through games and services, digital libraries and content. If they are satisfied with that, know that all of their content will transfer to PS5 with the promise of continuing that into the next generation along with brand new experiences, in addition to MS's content and services not interesting them...it makes sense that power and price would not be a differentiating factor.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Does everyone saying they would buy the PS5 still own a high end gaming PC capable of playing games with real time ray tracing etc?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Your missing my whole point that i've been trying to say to you...it also didnt help that there was no such thing as ecosystem at that time period. You could easily just buy a PS3 later on and start with 360 like i did.

Now, people have invested tons into the PS4 ecosystem through games and services, digital libraries and content. If they are satisfied with that, know that all of their content will transfer to PS5 with the promise of continuing that into the next generation along with brand new experiences, in addition to MS's content and services not interesting them...it makes sense that power and price would not be a differentiating factor.
I am sure Sony are not making the mistake of thinking this.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering my library from PS4 should be moving forward due to backwards compatibility, PS5 will be first.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm sure I'll get an Xbox at some point in the gen. But I've never gone wrong getting a PlayStation console. The games are always there.

Trixie Mattel

Nov 9, 2017
After seeing how this gen started I'm probably going to wait 3 years into the gen to jump on one of the consoles. Since I plan on keeping game pass until then I'll take a look at the list of XSX games by then and probably choose that one since I'm gonna start with a healthy library. Might snatch a PS5 at the end of the gen for JRPGs that aren't on Switch.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Im buying both anyway, so yup. Whichever is most powerful will be my main console, the other one will be an exclusives machine

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Personal taste but, Sony Worldwide Studio + better Japanese games support makes PS5 way more appealing for me

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I am sure Sony are not making the mistake of thinking this.

Making the mistake of thinking what exactly? I am only saying that the people who are staying with Sony at this moment are doing so because they have been satisfied with PS4. And so having an alternative option would not exactly matter to them, if price and power arent the things they necessarily care about.

Sony are surely not complacent, but they also know that maximizing ecosystem carry over is one of the main pillars of a successful transition, which is why they are even focusing on PS4 BC to begin with.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'll go with PS5 because their exclusives interest me the most. That said, whenever I'm able to join xCloud, I'll get Game Pass and buy games from them. Same can be said for Stadia and other streaming platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested in Sony's first part offerings than Microsoft's, so I'd rather take the PS5 first and maybe get the Xbox later at some point. But I hope it's not that expensive

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Almost everybody who said no follows up by saying they'll play them on PC which is exactly what Microsoft wants to hear.

They're getting your money regardless. They're going to make millions from people who never had any intention of buying an Xbox anyway.
It's funny when you read it. Some actually think that buying on PC it hurts them. Buying their game on one of their platforms is really putting a strain on their bottom line.

OT: MS has to show me the games in order for me to commit. I'd think really hard about it though.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I have been getting Sony's offering first, because I can usually experience MS games on PC. If that is the case this time, then that's what I'll do.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's funny when you read it. Some actually think that buying on PC it hurts them. Buying their game on one of their platforms is really putting a strain on their bottom line.

OT: MS has to show me the games in order for me to commit. I'd think really hard about it though.

I mean..i dont really see people trying to "stick it to MS". Just that they dont care about investing in their consoles if they have alternatives to playing the games...since that is what the thread is about

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
There was a thread on the old place that said if Xbox was cheapest, the most powerful and had a competitive first party output to match its competitors would you buy it. Pretty sure over 70% said no, I'd expect that no to be even bigger here.
Lol, a bunch of fanboys. Yes. But there is no reason to think the first party output would level up that fast.

As for this thread, no. Don't care about power. I care about games. 100 cheaper just means Sony will be forced to cut their prices eventually so it might even delay my ps5 purchase

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
It is debatable wether ps3 actually was more powerful. 360 won on gpu, memory setup and ease of development. It's impossible to actually know how it would have compared, if noughty dog made a 360 exclusive uncharted its impossible to know how it would have compared.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If i only could/would buy one system then no. Not even close.

After 4 generations of getting great games i wouldn't take a chance in the hope MS doesn't turn around again and start fucking things up like in the past.

But thankfully i just buy both and get on with it. Bought 3 years of Gold for 130 bucks and changed it to Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar a few days ago. I'm ready for XSX.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Whats more funny is you think people are actually doing it to "hurt" them. I know it's hard for some people to understand that some of us may want to play ms games but not commit to their ecosystem.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
While I'd certainly miss the PlayStation exclusives, I don't see how I wouldn't go with Xbox in that case. I have a PC, but I could certainly wait a few years to upgrade if I picked up the XSX in that case.

Every gen I remain open minded as to who is going to give me the best experience for my first console (Then often pick up the other down the road a few years later). I would be happy to go with Microsoft first if their pitch is most powerful and most affordable.

That said, I don't see that happening. To be able to claim both of those things in a single box sounds highly improbable.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's not about the power, or price point.

It's about motherfucking VIDEOGAMES.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Lol, a bunch of fanboys. Yes. But there is no reason to think the first party output would level up that fast.

As for this thread, no. Don't care about power. I care about games. 100 cheaper just means Sony will be forced to cut their prices eventually so it might even delay my ps5 purchase

To be fair, last gen on the old site the consensus was that sony would either lose this gen or bow out entirely due to the whole hacking fiasco and sony being in the red for most of the gen. Selling off buildings to stay afloat and what not. While Wii U would dominate casual market and MS would clean up in terms of the hardcore space.

Which only proves how meaningless trying to predict gens before they start actually matters.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I mean..i dont really see people trying to "stick it to MS". Just that they dont care about investing in their consoles if they have alternatives to playing the games...since that is what the thread is about
I am a PC gamer and I didn't feel the need to mention it until I had to respond to this post. Let's be real, some come off as trying to "stick it to them" by not buying their console.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that what people are essentially doing with the Switch right now? Does it irk you that exclusivity gave Nintendo that much power?

Always! I'd love to play BOTW with 60 FPS.

The only thing I will say in defense of Nintendo, is that at least their last few platforms have been unique, and that in some cases, there's a platform specific reason to play exclusives on that platform (motion controls, wii-u inventory management, handheld on-the-go related optimization...).

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the thread said "If XSX is most powerful, $100 cheaper than PS5 and had all PS exclusives, would you buy an XSX?" Sony would still win on this forum.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno really. PS5 is where I would go for games, but lately PC has dominated my time pretty much exclusively and I haven't touched my BoneX in ages. So definately not in a hurry to buy Series X either.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Depends. I always buy consoles for the games. I wouldn't buy either console if it didn't have compelling games.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
If I didn't PC game, I would. But I do, so I have trouble justifying an Xbox purchase.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Not only I'm going to buy XSX, but I'm probably going to buy it before PS5. Gamepass is a game changer for me.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
To be fair, last gen on the old site the consensus was that sony would either lose this gen or bow out entirely due to the whole hacking fiasco and sony being in the red for most of the gen. Selling off buildings to stay afloat and what not. While Wii U would dominate casual market and MS would clean up in terms of the hardcore space.

Which only proves how meaningless trying to predict gens before they start actually matters.
Yeah, but then the Xbox one reveal happened lol

Spiderman was to me the biggest nail in the coffin. Marvel allowed Sony to have exclusive access to their biggest individual hero because of how well their first party stuff was made. Best selling ps4 game as well.

Xbox has a lot of work to do

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Even if the thread said "If XSX is most powerful, $100 cheaper than PS5 and had all PS exclusives, would you buy an XSX?" Sony would still win on this forum.

i mean, at that point the OP would just be intentionally trolling to get a desired result, so i would not blame people for giving unserious answers lol.

At that point, PC would have all PS exclusives and would probably be a more enticing buy.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'm probably a rare case of a PC gamer wanting to downscale to just console next-gen. I may upgrade my current PC in the back end of the generation once the hardware gap increases a bunch again.

Sony doesn't make much that interests me, usually 2 or 3 games a generation, so I'm going with Xbox.

RTS, strategy, flight sims, cRPGs, platformers, FPS, TPS, action RPGs, etc. I'm not going to get that diversity elsewhere. And Game Pass makes it so easy to enjoy all of it. The service really has been a godsend for me.

What I do need to see is KB+M support for the RTS games, though. Give me that and we're golden.