• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer literally features a couple dozen joycons shaking back and forth in unison
In HYPER SPORTS R, players can choose from a variety of 20+ characters to build up and compete. Become the best competitor in a variety of different sports, which include track and field, beach volleyball and swimming. HYPER SPORTS R will also feature several fun modes, a few of which include: • Quick Play: Play with up to four friends for a quick gameplay experience. • Campaign: Single-player mode; Build and train a team by completing various competitions and character story lines. Compete with up to four players using Joy-Con™ for classic control, or opt for a more intuitive gameplay using motion controls during Quick Play mode.
From above post

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So, sports game, b tier, with rpg story mode, looks like a solid middle class entry, nothing wrong with that

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer literally features a couple dozen joycons shaking back and forth in unison

So you think this wont be playable in portable mode ?
Just because they chose to highlight a new feature in the trailer compared to the OG game (motions controls) - doesnt mean that tradition controls wont be supported.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Well, that certainly looked like shit. Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone honestly, I imagine that by this point most of the talented artists what used to work at Konami are long gone, bless their souls.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Why Hyper Sports instead of Track'N Field? (If you're going to play the nostalgia card)
From a European perspective, I think the Hyper Sports brand would be better-known than the Track and Field brand. At least, I'm certain that's the brand my parents would recognise.

Oct 29, 2017
Why not go with the name Track & Field R? Surely that would be much more recognisable!?

Cool that they're bringing it back, even if the art style is a bit ugly. Not my most wanted revival, but it's still cool.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This is somehow interesting, those arcade sounds tickled my memory. I hope it's decently priced and has online MP.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England

1200px-Electric_City_Akihabara_Pachinko.jpg

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Feel like some wii runoff entering the switch ecosystem. I respect this game as a nes throwback franchise, though.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright Konami is announcing their new ga.………….

I thought we had an understanding Konami.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The PR piece is pretty short..

KONAMI Announces HYPER SPORTS R for Nintendo Switch

New Sports Simulation Title to Feature Fun Variety of Sporting Events

Konami Digital Entertainment, B.V. revealed today HYPER SPORTS R, a new sports simulation title, to arrive on the Nintendo Switch™. Compete in a variety of individual and team sports, and train a team to take on rivals as you race for a spot at the top.

In HYPER SPORTS R, players can choose from a variety of 20+ characters to build up and compete. Become the best competitor in a variety of different sports, which include track and field, beach volleyball and swimming.

HYPER SPORTS R will also feature several fun modes, some of which include:

• Quick Play: Play with up to four friends for a quick gameplay experience.
  • Campaign: Single-player mode; Build and train a team by completing various competitions and character story lines.

Compete with up to four players using Joy-Con™ for classic control, or opt for a more intuitive gameplay using motion controls during Quick Play mode.

Additional details, including more sports, modes, storyline and launch timing will be announced soon.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
That's not a Gradius, Contra or Hudson/TG-16 collection. Seriously, the wealth of IP this company just sits on.

Seriously after Bomberman R's success you'd think it'd be a no brainer as to what people want to buy, I was hoping BMan was a positive sign, whoever greenlit this over all of their other IP needs to be fired. This just smacks of "clueless old Japanese business guy in a suit" giving the most generic perception of what appeals to the most mainstream of the American market. And unappealing content aside, what an eyesore of a cover.

Last edited:

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I am so in for this one. I used to love this arcade game, and have wanted another quality game like International Track and Field for years.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
This is a stupid thing to bring up but i saw a random /v/ smash leak mention an NES Athlete as the retro rep.

Then i wake up to see this game announced.

Thats a very funny coincidence haha dont do this

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
That looks neat and I'd be interested in getting it tbh.
Shame I gotta wait months first though as I don't own a Switch XP

Plum

May 31, 2018
Maybe if Nintendo actually put an effort behind having their consoles appeal to core gamers and not just Children/Nintendo fans we wouldn't have this problem.

Sorry, but Nintendo has to take the lion's share of the blame on this.

But that's what they've done with the Switch. The console has been built on an open world action adventure, a traditional 3D platformer and a third person shooter. In the future it's going to be built on multiple RPGs, a first person shooter and a fighting game. That's not to mention the many indie success stories and games like DOOM and Skyrim. The only truly "casual" game Nintendo put out sold relatively poorly compared to its peers, and LABO is being presented as something seperate from the main Switch ecosystem.

It's purely a perception thing here, not something based in reality when it might have been during the early Wii era.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if Nintendo actually put an effort behind having their consoles appeal to core gamers and not just Children/Nintendo fans we wouldn't have this problem.

Yeah, I agree. Launching with the super casual Breath of the Wild was a stupid decision.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I mean, it might be a good and fun game but that's the problem with third parties on Nintendo platforms: they succeed big time (here, Konami with Super Bomberman R) and, instead of increasing investment and effort, they produce something very few people asked for, that will sell badly and will incentivize them to stop support.

Oct 28, 2017
NES track and field was kick ass back in the olden days.

However,

I wanted a 2D Contra /Life Force / Jackal game.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
hsr_title-600x338.jpg

Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. today HYPER SPORTS R, a new sports simulation title, to arrive on the Nintendo Switch™. Compete in a variety of individual and team sports, and train a team to take on rivals as you race for a spot at the top.

In HYPER SPORTS R, players can choose from a variety of 20+ characters to build up and compete. Become the best competitor in a range of different sports, such as track and field, beach volleyball and swimming.

HYPER SPORTS R will also feature several fun modes, a few of which include:

• Quick Play: Play with up to four friends for a quick gameplay experience.
  • Campaign: Single-player mode; Build and train a team by completing various competitions and character story lines.
Compete with up to four players using Joy-Con™ for classic control, or opt for a more intuitive gameplay using motion controls during Quick Play mode.

Additional details, including more sports, modes, storyline and launch timing will be announced soon.

https://www.konami.com/games/eu/en/topics/14636/

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

One of the best-selling game on the system is The Legend of Zelda, an open-world action/adventure.

"Hardcore" IPs like Monster Hunter and Koei games did well too.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should release a (right joycon) ir camera enabled power pad to go along with this.

Toy con 3

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Hopefully it's like International Track and Field and they bring in some Konami characters for fun. I think Pyramid Head and Sparkster and some castlevania characters were in that one.

Also, for a more old school take on the genre, try Super Sportmatchen which came out last week for Switch. Small game but pretty fun, and ironically has Konami employee Tak Fujii

May 5, 2018
Huh? Well this was unexpected at least? Oh who am I kidding, I have no interest in this. Would have thought they'd bring another old IP back after Bomberman did well, but they go for a mini game collection.

Maybe Konami is saving bigger news involving Smash. Is Snake back? Simon Belmont? Bomberman? Maybe someone more left field like Goemon?

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017

Very constructive and never heard of before. Have you heard about the performance of so-called "core" games such as the hamster neogeo titles or the multiple indie ports on the system?