• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the original game very difficult? I barely got through the demo 500m level and I know I'm not very good at this but I'm having fun.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Bought this on Steam, but it dropped in the early morning local time so I have to get through work first before actually firing it up. Excited to play Mr. Driller again, its been too long!

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Is the original game very difficult? I barely got through the demo 500m level and I know I'm not very good at this but I'm having fun.
The Driller series started in arcades and the basic mode is merciless. The genius of DrillLand is that it explores variants that are about calculated turn-based actions in addition to the twitchy base game.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I forgot this existed. Yeah I might go ahead and pick it up. Kinda want to see if LRG does a physical verison.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aw yeah, midnight release of Mr Driller. Time to dig in until I pass out. =D

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
I, too, would like to see if LRG does a physical version.

giphy.gif

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't seem like many bought this game..? Maybe it's the $30 price in the US, it's half that here in the U.K.

Im enjoying it a lot, the difficulty increase between level 1 and 2 of each attraction is quite steep, I'm finding the ghost busting stage the easiest out of them all.

the production value is quite mental considering how simple the gameplay is, I'd recommend it at £16.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted to play this game for yeeeeaaars. Super excited to pick this up, day 1 for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
any other impressions from y'all? loved mister driller for the DS (DRILL SPIRITS!) and would totally buy again.

edit: playing the demo, and i LOVE THIS. everyone at least try it out!! the presentation is top notch.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Klonoa is the only legacy IP in Namco's stable that could ever get me to freak if something new was announced. Was interested in this Mr. Driller game since I've never played one before but then I saw the price-tag. I... think I'll wait for a sale.

Hopefully if this doesn't sell well it won't effect the release of whatever Klonoa Encore is...

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
any other impressions from y'all? loved mister driller for the DS (DRILL SPIRITS!) and would totally buy again.

edit: playing the demo, and i LOVE THIS. everyone at least try it out!! the presentation is top notch.

I own this on GC but barely played it so I basically went into this fresh, it's incredibly good. I've tried Hole of Druaga and Drindy Adventure so far, the former has you going through and collecting items to help you get rid of blocks and defeat enemies before a final boss fight against Druaga, and the latter really mixes things up by having no air limit but including a bunch of falling boulders that will easily flatten you if you don't play carefully. I expect a lot of people will pass on this thinking it's just the typical barebones Mr. Driller arcade gameplay again for $30, but they really do a lot to add variety.

Also the soundtrack is INCREDIBLE.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How's the port? I love this game back when it came out, struggling with the menus etc! Haha! I almost hit buy without checking if the port is any good!

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether online leaderboards exist? An interview from an article on the first page said they'd be in there, but I'm not seeing any mention of them in reviews.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The leaderboards are in, but every time I tried to use them (before launch) they crashed my game... hopefully that was a prerelease issue.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
THIS GAME IS SO INTENSE

I love Mr. Driller, this is going on my wish list for gifts as I have many other games to play at the moment.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't even know about this. Probably will not buy at launch, but I'll definitely pick up at some point.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Y'all got me hyped AF for a game I know nothing about. Looking at the trailer on the eshop I can't really tell if I'll like this or not, or even what the core gameplay is like. I have the demo downloading, so I guess I'll find out.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, I'll grab it tonight. Excited to play the series again "LUCKY!"

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I assume it is but - is the game locked to 60 fps on PC? If it's 144hz compatible I'd probably buy it on PC but if it's not I'll just go Switch.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Does anybody have guidance on how to convert the OGG files in the Steam install directory for listening? They don't immediately work in my media player, I assume some conversion is necessary (and I assume they're music files, since they have the same name as the songs).

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody have guidance on how to convert the OGG files in the Steam install directory for listening? They don't immediately work in my media player, I assume some conversion is necessary (and I assume they're music files, since they have the same name as the songs).

Ogg is an audio file format. To play ogg files, you have to download their codecs:

Redirecting

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, son of a gun. Here I thought I had those codecs installed, and turns out I was wrong. Derp. The entire soundtrack can be found in /SSMK/data.dx/stream, btw
Aah! Having heard the music in the demo, I want this, but I will only ever play on Switch, so I am buying it there.

Guess I'll look out for a sale on Steam.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
God damn stage 2 is hard, I'm having to buy loads of stuff from the shops to get me through!

just bought 10 lives for drindy 2, hope I can do it now.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I played the demo. It's feeling really similar to the XBLA version, so I'm probably gonna be waiting on a sale.

The only thing I think the XBLA version had was buying items.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's really great. I got the game on GameCube years ago but IIRC Namco had an extra layer of region lock on their GCN games that made it impossible for me to save my data. The gameplay is great, but the visuals, voice work, and especially the music really elevate it. I've played probably half the Mr. Driller games that exist but this one is the best, IMO. It's been years since I played Mr. Driller so I forgot just how charming the playable cast is.

This is slightly unrelated but in case there are any Mr. Driller experts who can answer this: why was the US version of Drill Spirits (on DS) missing content that was in the JPN/PAL versions? This has been a mystery to me for 15 years.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
GameCube memory cards were region locked in a sense—you could only have saves from a single region on a card. It wasn't just a Namco thing!