• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
A great video break down on what we currently know about hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19. As someone who already takes it for autoimmune disease, I am getting tired of everyone being misinformed in it.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was just reading today about an ICU wing that was administering every alleged COVID-19 wonderdrug under the sun and still lost every single patient in the space of one shift.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'd really like to when when it started being used on a more widespread basis. While it still will not replace a clinical study, it would be interesting to see if you can try to get any wide level trends from it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is starting Actemra next week.

I better not find out it's backordered til 2022.

komonews.com

Experimental drug helped critically ill emergency room doctor recover from COVID-19

The Evergreen Hospital emergency room doctor who was placed on life support after contracting COVID -19 has been released from the hospital and is now recovering. Dr. Ryan Padgett was one of the first frontline physicians in the county to fall critically ill from the coronavirus. He was first...

It already costs like $20K/year without insurance.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I mean, if it's just about dampening the immune response and stopping cytokines storms and inflammation, then why not prednisone or other Glucocorticoids? Combine that with certain antiobiotics and wouldn't that have a similiar safer result

edit: to the poster above me.

that's kind of where I was going with my post. My wife is About to start Actemra as well. In combination with Rituximab. They are all forms of immunosuppressants, in this case b and T cells to stop the creation of immunoglobulin gone haywire. But side effects can be bad and these are expensive.

Oct 25, 2017
We know Trump has a stake in the company that makes it which explains his constant need to push it.

www.nytimes.com

Trump’s Aggressive Advocacy of Malaria Drug for Treating Coronavirus Divides Medical Community (Published 2020)

While Dr. Anthony Fauci has urged caution in using hydroxychloroquine, some doctors are prescribing it to patients who have the virus despite the fact it has never been tested for it.

Nah, he just wants something to get this nightmare over with

OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
My wife is starting Actemra next week.

I better not find out it's backordered til 2022.

komonews.com

Experimental drug helped critically ill emergency room doctor recover from COVID-19

The Evergreen Hospital emergency room doctor who was placed on life support after contracting COVID -19 has been released from the hospital and is now recovering. Dr. Ryan Padgett was one of the first frontline physicians in the county to fall critically ill from the coronavirus. He was first...

It already costs like $20K/year without insurance.
My wife is About to start Actemra as well. In combination with Rituximab. They are all forms of immunosuppressants, in this case b and T cells to stop the creation of immunoglobulin gone haywire. But side effects can be bad and these are expensive.

...I am starting actemra next week too are you kidding me lol

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
We know Trump has a stake in the company that makes it which explains his constant need to push it.

www.nytimes.com

Trump’s Aggressive Advocacy of Malaria Drug for Treating Coronavirus Divides Medical Community (Published 2020)

While Dr. Anthony Fauci has urged caution in using hydroxychloroquine, some doctors are prescribing it to patients who have the virus despite the fact it has never been tested for it.

I saw a tweet that was "if hydroxychloroquine worked trump would have bough/stolen/redirected that instead of breathers from international trade" which also explains that he push it JUST because of the company =P

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you follow French News, Macron just had a long meeting with Raoult and is probably going to talk about the studies being done on Monday. I feel like a lot of people want this to fail because it's Trump. I hate Trump but here in France we are seeing somewhat positive results in these studies. We just need more studies to see if the prior ones were flawed. I disagree with rushing this out as treatment but I am cautiously hopeful for its use in limited situations

OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
As the video explains, it being able to calm cytokine storm is extremely promising but it also has some serious side effects so it needs to be carefully studied. I'm more annoyed because my refill price went up this month because of the hype.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
As the video explains, it being able to calm cytokine storm is extremely promising but it also has some serious side effects so it needs to be carefully studied. I'm more annoyed because my refill price went up this month because of the hype.

Our family doctor has several RA patients and they can't even fill their prescription.

I'm hoping the same doesn't happen to other drugs like Actemra.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): conspiracy theories
Pharma companies will make little to no money on Hydroxychloroquine thats why their puppets in the media and government will try to downplay the drug and push expensive vaccines (eventually).

Oct 26, 2017
Pharma companies will make little to no money on Hydroxychloroquine thats why their puppets in the media and government will try to downplay the drug and push expensive vaccines (eventually).

I do not think that the Globalization Puppet Masters (tm) want to downplay a good treatment to coronavirus so that the economy can struggle for 18 months so that they can sell vaccines later... Seems like that's honestly pretty bad for business.

Pretty sure everyone would take a COVID19 vaccine even if the death rate was lowered to 0.5%.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

www.nytimes.com

To be fair, it's a generic drug, and therefore many companies make it (or can make it). Therefore, Trump does not have a stake in THE company that makes, but maybe A company that makes it. The branded version, Plaquenil is made by Sanofi.

Here's the Snopes article: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-profit-hydroxychloroquine/

Fuck Trump, but also fuck misinformation.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not think that the Globalization Puppet Masters (tm) want to downplay a good treatment to coronavirus so that the economy can struggle for 18 months so that they can sell vaccines later... Seems like that's honestly pretty bad for business.

Pretty sure everyone would take a COVID19 vaccine even if the death rate was lowered to 0.5%.
I am seeing the FUD being spread around this drug and it's spooking me out. It just doesn't seem organic to me.

And everyone should take the vaccine when it arrives obviously.

Oct 26, 2017
I am seeing the FUD being spread around this drug and it's spooking me out. It just doesn't seem organic to me.

And everyone should the take the vaccine when it arrives obviously.

Some people just seem very worried about people replicating the couple who took the fish tank cleaner of the same (? Not sure about this one as this drug seems to have a few names but I may be wrong) name.

And about the supply of the drug going down dramatically for the people who need it for cases where the drug is far more proven as of now.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Chloroquine feels like it is becoming the Tide Pod Challenge for Boomers. People keep killing themselves thinking it's some kind of miracle cure despite all the failed clinical trials they keep putting it through.

OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

And everyone should take the vaccine when it arrives obviously.
Hi I already take the drug to survive stop touting it as a miracle cure with zero evidence so I won't run out of it thanks.

It's being tested. Once its actually proven to help, they will use it. Watch the video and stop spreading bs conspiracy theories

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As I said before. Chloroquine is absolute routine treatment for ICU-bound COVID patients.

My ICU has close to 50 COVID patient on a ventilator right now and pretty much all of them have received a course of chloroquine. If there is any effect at all, it's incredibly minimal because nearly everyone requiring invasive ventilation ends up multiple weeks in the ICU.

Deciding to tout this (pretty shitty) drug as a potential cure or acting like it has a significant impact on COVID is one of the dumbest things in the world. Leave this stuff to the professionals, please.

It's proven to help. I trust no one who downplays HCQ.

Otherwise we get folks like this. SMH.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
As I said before. Chloroquine is absolute routine treatment for ICU-bound COVID patients.

My ICU has close to 50 COVID patient on a ventilator right now and pretty much all of them have received a course of chloroquine. If there is any effect at all, it's incredibly minimal because nearly everyone requiring invasive ventilation ends up multiple weeks in the ICU.

Deciding to tout this (pretty shitty) drug as a potential cure or acting like it has a significant impact on COVID is one of the dumbest things in the world. Leave this stuff to the professionals, please.

Otherwise we get folks like this. SMH.
I wish you can talk to my dad and his dumb ass friend who believes it works cause they read somewhere that some people are getting better at it. Their source, I'm sure is bull shit.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it's just about dampening the immune response and stopping cytokines storms and inflammation, then why not prednisone or other Glucocorticoids? Combine that with certain antiobiotics and wouldn't that have a similiar safer result

that's kind of where I was going with my post. My wife is About to start Actemra as well. In combination with Rituximab. They are all forms of immunosuppressants, in this case b and T cells to stop the creation of immunoglobulin gone haywire. But side effects can be bad and these are expensive.
Steroids increase viral shedding/replication

We typically reserve steroids exclusively for when they develop ARDS.

I work in the ICU in a major hospital system in NY so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Over a hundred trials on different medications are being held worldwide.

Not really a fan of the general public trying to armchair analyse studies and data and jumping to conclusions - this just encourages mass inappropriate mass purchasing and bad science. Iinitial hydroxychloroquine studies didn't even use an intention to treat model. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to say if this drug works yet and even if it does work, it has a limited role.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
A drug that may be effective at this point in time is remdesivir, but only if it's used quickly after initial infection.

www.nytimes.com

Two Thirds of COVID-19 Patients Improve After Gilead Drug: NEJM

More than two-thirds of severely ill COVID-19 patients saw their condition improve after treatment with remdesivir, an experimental drug being developed by Gilead Sciences Inc., according to new data based on patient observation.

I'm not sure about HCQ, but still waiting for the studies.

I wish you can talk to my dad and his dumb ass friend who believes it works cause they read somewhere that some people are getting better at it. Their source, I'm sure is bull shit.
The sad truth is that most people who have to go on a ventilator will die, doesn't matter what treatment they are given.

At that point, there is so much damage that it's really hard to recover.

www.npr.org

Ventilators Are No Panacea For Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients

Ventilators can be lifesaving for some critically ill patients, but they're no panacea. The experience so far with COVID-19 is that the majority of patients put on ventilators don't survive.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didier Raoult, who has been pushing for it very strongly in France, released an abstract of his latest tests yesterday (he gave his findings to Macron in exclusivity).

Here in Switzerland the majority of patients are being treated with it. They're not sure if it works, but as they don't have any reason not to use it, they're willing to try anything that could help.
Yeah, I am v near where Raoult is right now. This guy isn't an idiot even if Trump is a moron and an opportunist. Waiting cautiously to see the studies and what Macron says on Monday but I can say without any doubt that I am so exhausted by American "liberals" just shitting on anything because Trump is associated with it. Wait to see what the studies say and let's go from there. Everyone is apparently a brain surgeon these days given what I'm seeing on my Facebook feed.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I am v near where Raoult is right now. This guy isn't an idiot even if Trump is a moron and an opportunist. Waiting cautiously to see the studies and what Macron says on Monday but I can say without any doubt that I am so exhausted by American "liberals" just shitting on anything because Trump is associated with it. Wait to see what the studies say and let's go from there. Everyone is apparently a brain surgeon these days given what I'm seeing on my Facebook feed.

Though not an RCT, the most important thing here is the comparison to other treatments. It's unfortunate that it's a bit buried and short on details on this part of the abstract. Wish we had the full article. Mortality rate is still 0.5% and it sounds like they selected for patients with less comorbidities but we'll have to see the full paper for the exclusion criteria.

Mortality was significantly lower in patients who had received >3 days of HCQ-AZ than in patients treated with other regimens both at IHU and in all Marseille public hospitals (p< 10 2).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

I feel like responses like these means people didn't watch the video. No one in this thread is shitting on this because Trump is pushing it. We are pissed because Trump is pushing it without any evidence. Let science do it's thing, for Christ's sake. Pushing this a miracle cure when most Doctor's are saying they are not seeing much in the way of effects from it good or bad is dangerous as fuck and leads to deaths like the people that ate fish tank cleaner because it has chloroquine in it.

The video is talking about how this needs more researching, not how it's bad because Trump.

Edit: Okay one guy in this thread said it's bad because Trump, but they obviously didn't watch the video either.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I actually was prescribed 6 days of prednisone when I went to the ER for my chest symptoms. It reduced the chest pressure and pain for a few days, but they immediately came back when I ran out, and actually got worse for a couple days.

Steroids increase viral shedding/replication

We typically reserve steroids exclusively for when they develop ARDS.

I work in the ICU in a major hospital system in NY so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

...And now I wonder if the prednisone didn't do more harm than good, haha.

Huff

Sep 10, 2019
It's a shame all of the French studies are trash, no control groups, it's barely a trial more of a large case series.

Currently there is no evidence to support hct/azithro and a lot of people out there practicing bad medicine because of fear

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
We had it first you greedy fucks. Doctors prescribing hydroxychloroquine for COVID patients when those with autoimmune disorders can't get a lifesaving drug are no better than those hoarding masks and other PPE. They are taking medical supplies from those for whom the benefit is necessary and certain and giving it to people for whom the benefit is speculative and marginal.

Look, if it really turns out this is a miracle drug and it will save doctors' lives, and hey can use it to stay in the fight and save even more lives, I'll go to the grave with a fucking smile on my face. But if you're going to ask me to make that sacrifice you had damn well better be sure. If it's such a fucking miracle drug, Trump can use his DPA powers to start increasing production NOW, before some marginally positive study condemns many more to the grave.

OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
We had it first you greedy fucks.

I mean I would go that far. If it works, no one being first really matters. It just needs a lot more studying and a lot less unsubstantiated hype. The hype is causing the shortages as misinformed folks get a hold of it as a preventative like it will freaking prevent infection, which is not how ANY of this works.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If you follow French News, Macron just had a long meeting with Raoult and is probably going to talk about the studies being done on Monday. I feel like a lot of people want this to fail because it's Trump. I hate Trump but here in France we are seeing somewhat positive results in these studies. We just need more studies to see if the prior ones were flawed. I disagree with rushing this out as treatment but I am cautiously hopeful for its use in limited situations
I think the issue many people have is whether or not the studies are controlled, blind, etc. If so, that's great. But there has been some analysis of some of the French studies that essentially put these trials at an anecdotal status given how they're apparently designed.

Given that, it's hard to say positive outcomes are due solely to this drug. But I also get at this point trying anything and everything to try to save lives.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had it first you greedy fucks. Doctors prescribing hydroxychloroquine for COVID patients when those with autoimmune disorders can't get a lifesaving drug are no better than those hoarding masks and other PPE. They are taking medical supplies from those for whom the benefit is necessary and certain and giving it to people for whom the benefit is speculative and marginal.

Look, if it really turns out this is a miracle drug and it will save doctors' lives, and hey can use it to stay in the fight and save even more lives, I'll go to the grave with a fucking smile on my face. But if you're going to ask me to make that sacrifice you had damn well better be sure. If it's such a fucking miracle drug, Trump can use his DPA powers to start increasing production NOW, before some marginally positive study condemns many more to the grave.

"I got mine" mentality, nice.

Do you have lupus or RA?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Leave this stuff to the professionals, please.

tenor.gif

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the issue many people have is whether or not the studies are controlled, blind, etc. If so, that's great. But there has been some analysis of some of the French studies that essentially put these trials at an anecdotal status given how they're apparently designed.

Given that, it's hard to say positive outcomes are due solely to this drug. But I also get at this point trying anything and everything to try to save lives.
I agree, and I think that's what most here in France are pointing to - a desire for further studies. I just don't think Raoult is acting in bad faith like Trump and it saddens me a bit to see people jumping at his throat