• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Namco said it was 'successful' for what that's worth. I think a lot of people just forget about it since Namco Bandai haven't given it anywhere near as much post-launch support as Tekken 7.
Namco doesn't want to give any game as much support as tekken

it's honestly impressive what project soul manages to do with the game with how short their budget must be compared to the tekken team

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
SC6 takes place after the events of SC1 but before SC2 in a new rebooted timeline. So unless there is time travel shenanigans, Pyrrha is only 3 years old at this point as SC5 is 18 years after the events of SC2.
Isn't Cassandra from the original timeline following SCV already? So there's precedent.

Namco doesn't want to give any game as much support as tekken

it's honestly impressive what project soul manages to do with the game with how short their budget must be compared to the tekken team

It's a miracle SC5 was as mechanically smooth and competent as it was. And SC6 is another huge achievement for Project Soul constantly being treated like Namco's unwanted step-child.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Isn't Cassandra from the original timeline following SCV already? So there's precedent.
The playable cassandra is from the reboot timeline. She encounters and fights the original timeline cassandra in her story mode, though. Making her one of the only two people with knowledge of the OG timeline, the other being Zas.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hwang moveset was varied enough, Especially some of the kicks he had which was completely missing from Xianghua's moveset.

Hwang was as different from Xianghua as Seong-Mina was as different from Kilik, or Rock as different from Astaroth.
When did I say he was never different at all? What do any other characters who have all had their time being completely unique have to do with anything? I said this is the FIRST time he's ever been ENTIRELY unique. Which it is.

I'm glad Hwang is back and I'm glad he's all new. I can't wait to see who they glow up next.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a miracle SC5 was as mechanically smooth and competent as it was. And SC6 is another huge achievement for Project Soul constantly being treated like Namco's unwanted step-child.
I'm very happy with so much single-player and story content.

SCV burned me HARD in that regard and I had almost given up on the franchise as a result. SCVI feels like a wonderful and sincere apology.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I'm very happy with so much single-player and story content.

SCV burned me HARD in that regard and I had almost given up on the franchise as a result. SCVI feels like a wonderful and sincere apology.
the story content for SC6 has been one of the high points for me

i wouldn't have expected things like "Yoshimitsu gets a serious and somber story mode" or "Cassandra gets lore relevance" or "Amy becomes an actual character" but they really pulled through.

turning Setsuka's three line long backstory into a whole samurai film, complete with a b-plot, was the kicker for me

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
these characters continue to be unexpectedly great, I'm so glad V didn't kill the series

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow, so it was Hwang and not Algol? Nice! Hwang's design/move set looking crazier and flashier than before which looks pretty dope imo. As a old Yun-Seong main, I definitely would love to try him out since I haven't played since around launch time.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
SC6 DLC has been on point, I've really loved every character's unique gimmick and it feels like the team is really hitting a stride design wise. I expect this to be the last DLC but would love if they squeezed a few more fighters out.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I always wanted a Le Pacte des loups inspired Soul Calibur character

This is as close i will ever get xD

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
SC6 takes place after the events of SC1 but before SC2 in a new rebooted timeline. So unless there is time travel shenanigans, Pyrrha is only 3 years old at this point as SC5 is 18 years after the events of SC2.
I'm totally fine with time travel, we've got Geralt coming from another dimension and Amy's story already showed Viola. Having a couple of kids come back to fix some event with the help of Viola would hardly be that out there for a franchise previously starring Yoda.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So if they're doing a third Fighters Pass, going by previous passes, I'm assuming it would be Yunseong, Algol, Dampierre, and another guest character?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I never cared for Hwang so I was dreading this reveal, but that trailer sold me on him.

I'm totally fine with time travel, we've got Geralt coming from another dimension and Amy's story already showed Viola. Having a couple of kids come back to fix some event with the help of Viola would hardly be that out there for a franchise previously starring Yoda.
Going by the old popularity poll, Viola was by far the most popular SCV newcomer (even beating some of the old characters that already returned in SCVI, like Hwang himself), if we don't get her I don't think any other SCV character has a chance.

Jan 11, 2018
You've come to the wrong game for that.

Yeah, unfortunately this game likes to put its male characters in lots of clothes (and barely release any as DLC), while heavily leaning on scantily clad waifus. I was rolling my eyes at that stupid underboob and mini-skirt CAS costume, and how they treat shitty SCIV costumes as "classic" now. I've no doubt that if we ever got a character like Rock, Zwei or Yun they'd be put in a big hooded robe at this point. But at least I get to play as Hwang, who should be fun.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
As long as he has the costume with the hat and mask, I'm game. I like his move set, but his drip is WAY more important to me right now lol

EDIT: ok after rewatching the trailer, does he have some variant of Ivy's Snake Blade?!

Last edited:

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately this game likes to put its male characters in lots of clothes (and barely release any as DLC), while heavily leaning on scantily clad waifus. I was rolling my eyes at that stupid underboob and mini-skirt CAS costume, and how they treat shitty SCIV costumes as "classic" now. I've no doubt that if we ever got a character like Rock, Zwei or Yun they'd be put in a big hooded robe at this point. But at least I get to play as Hwang, who should be fun.
Their character design philosophies couldn't be more apparent

El7-3kTVcAETn9j

En0eS7wUYAA1wYT

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
At last. Now please give us a season 3 with some Aeon/Lizardman action. I've been waiting for ages. One axe, two axe, a sword, I don't care. I'm sure they'll do great.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Guess who else back?

Me!

To play your game, namco! Finally!

His new arranged theme sounds awesome too.

You know what else starts with an 'H'? HURRAY!

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Damn he looks cool! I really need to buy this game now for PS4 - I'll wait for a sale for base + S1, but it looks like S2 hasn't gone on sale...ever?

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
At last. Now please give us a season 3 with some Aeon/Lizardman action. I've been waiting for ages. One axe, two axe, a sword, I don't care. I'm sure they'll do great.
Aeon seems like a given for S3

personally, I'm of the opinion that Aeon should eat the guest of the previous game and gain their abilities, but this is a new timeline so maybe save it for next where he can eat Geralt.

Oct 25, 2017
So if they're doing a third Fighters Pass, going by previous passes, I'm assuming it would be Yunseong, Algol, Dampierre, and another guest character?
I'd rather they make more new characters than start scraping the bottom of the barrel for picks, especially given the two already in the game aren't that great. Outside of Aeon and maybe Damp, you've pretty much gotten every vet worth something anyway, plus seeing more unique weapons and nationalities come to the series is always cool.
Going by the old popularity poll, Viola was by far the most popular SCV newcomer (even beating some of the old characters that already returned in SCVI, like Hwang himself), if we don't get her I don't think any other SCV character has a chance.
A season 3 with Viola would be awesone
She's already in the game, just in a less interesting form.