• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello any and all; my dad passed recently and I before he passed we were planning on getting a grandpuppy since kids weren't likely in the few years left I thought we had. Needless to say we're now for sure getting a gandpuppy for my mom.

I've already done some research online, read reddit, SHOA, youtube and numerous other resources and figured I'd ask the best place for getting opinions I have, all of you.

So era, wanna help a soon proud to be Huskypup dad?

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Have you owned dogs before?

EDIT: Cuz if not, a husky would most likely be a big mistake. And if even if are an experienced dog owner, they are still a huge handful.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Huskys can be very high-maintenance, if you train them early they are great but they are very easy to spoil if you aren't careful

they also need to be groomed often

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Huskies are very high maintenance, they shed like crazy and tend to like lots of exercise, otherwise they tend towards anxious habits like misbehaving and destroying furniture. They're gorgeous and sweet dogs but they're also large and can be dangerous when angry. I would suggest going to a shelter and choosing a mild-mannered, lower energy dog for someone grieving instead. A puppy is also a lot of work to train and take out to piss/shit constantly.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you owned dogs before?

EDIT: Cuz if not, a husky would most likely be a big mistake. And if even if are an experienced dog owner, they are still a huge handful.
First time dog owner, well aware I'm going to be taking on a stubborn, energetic 3 year old child with adhd.

Looking for testimonials; I'm planning on getting a puppy from a certified breeder. I know the puupy will need some training and lots of care/exercise/love. It's like having a kid.

A fluffy, shedding one.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Be prepared to spend a lot of time giving it a proper workout. Letting the pup run and get physically exhausted. Otherwise that dog is going to unleash it's energy indoors and destroy stuff.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First time dog owner, well aware I'm going to be taking on a stubborn, energetic 3 year old child with adhd.

Looking for testimonials; I'm planning on getting a puppy from a certified breeder. I know the puupy will need some training and lots of care/exercise/love. It's like having a kid.

A fluffy, shedding one.
Why are you set on a husky? Why not get a dog from the shelter?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Huskies require a shit ton of exercise. You better be prepared for that or you're going to have a bad time (and so is the dog).

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I love my husky but I'll probably not get another one. I can't let her off her leash unless it's enclosed otherwise she'll dart off never to be seen again. She's smart and learns quick, but then decides to listen when she wants to. Gives her a funny personality, but can be annoying sometimes. And in warmer months, we have to brush her pretty much every day. The shedding is INSANE. She has a high predatory drive. If she hears something in the back yard, she will absolutely not be able to focus on anything but that thing until either it's gone or she's killed it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Huskies require a shit ton of exercise. You better be prepared for that or you're going to have a bad time (and so is the dog).
yeah, honestly It would be hard to recommend to someone who doesn't have a backyard or something

they are very active dogs, and even if you walk them a lot they can still be restless in smaller houses

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

Just so you know, that's an understatement.

Huskies are working dogs bred to run. They are crazy and love to escape. My family has owned two huskies and they were escape artists even into their older years. They need hours of exercise a day. Do you have a fenced yard? It is nice to have as it lets the dog burn its excess energy outside without having to walk it a bunch. Just be aware of digging and fence jumping, which it will try to do.

Also, whereabouts do you live? We had our dogs in northern Canada. Maybe husky owners more south might be able to attest to this, but I'd be worried about the heat, not only for shedding but for the wellness of the animal as well. They aren't really meant for hotter regions but perhaps I'm being hyperbolic. Make sure you don't live the poor thing unattended to in a car for too long when it is hot out.

Just be sure what you are getting into. Husky ownership has spiked recently and so has the abandonment of these animals once people realize how tough they are to handle. They require a shit ton of time and dedication. They are absolutely gorgeous animals, though, so I get it. Just maybe consider another breed that is aesthetically similar.

I'll also add that if you want a husky badly, you might want to consider getting a rescue. Like I said, these dogs get ditched all the time so you'd be doing a poor pupper a huge favor. An older husky would have less energy too but of course, rescues can have issues from previous ownership.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Shedding isn't much of a problem provided you brush them regularly. Once a day is fine to begin with, but I increased that to twice a day later on. Also, fun idea: collect the fur so you can make beanies. Fair warning, though: you'll likely need more fur than you think.

They love exercise and can put up with more than you might imagine given their predilection for panting. I live in a small coastal town and would walk my brother's malamute to the beach, around the school, around the neighbouring lake, and then back home, which worked out to somewhere around an hour each way.

Buy a small kiddie pool for the warmer months. They best manage their body temperature with their paws.

A few random photos:
40999_453902599065_58h1j2i.jpg

418984_10150624673074nkkqi.jpg

664342_101512705321040okaf.jpg

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Huskies are very high energy and need lots of outside play. That said they're big loveable drama queen babies and probably my favorite breed. If there's someone available to exercise and train them, I'd say go for it.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
We had a white Husky (now turned brown-ish in the sides) and he's..... okay. He doesn't bite strangers or bark at strangers, but he does growl and that's because my older brother didn't really train him well. He requires some upkeep but since my older brother is lazy the husky took that trait and he's kind of lazy. Usually goes out only a few times a day and during those walks he's tired mid-way through his walk (usually about 5-6 blocks).

My experience is different from others but the general things to consider:

- energetic
- sheds a ton
- can get unruly
- are known to run away
- do get loud

Good luck OP!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful dogs and hope you have a ton of time on your hands. They are a handful. Whatever you think you are getting into X it by two.

Ex. No matter how many people told me Pugs shed a shit ton, i was not prepared. LOL!

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you know, that's an understatement.

Huskies are working dogs bred to run. They are crazy and love to escape. My family has owned two huskies and they were escape artists even into their older years. They need hours of exercise a day. Do you have a fenced yard? It is nice to have as it lets the dog burn its excess energy outside without having to walk it a bunch. Just be aware of digging and fence jumping, which it will try to do.

Also, whereabouts do you live? We had our dogs in northern Canada. Maybe husky owners more south might be able to attest to this, but I'd be worried about the heat, not only for shedding but for the wellness of the animal as well. They aren't really meant for hotter regions but perhaps I'm being hyperbolic. Make sure you don't live the poor thing unattended to in a car for too long when it is hot out.

Just be sure what you are getting into. Husky ownership has spiked recently and so has the abandonment of these animals once people realize how tough they are to handle. They require a shit ton of time and dedication. They are absolutely gorgeous animals, though, so I get it. Just maybe consider another breed that is aesthetically similar.

I'll also add that if you want a husky badly, you might want to consider getting a rescue. Like I said, these dogs get ditched all the time so you'd be doing a poor pupper a huge favor. An older husky would have less energy too but of course, rescues can have issues from previous ownership.
That's my only hold up for getting a rescue.

I live in northern Illinois so we do get pretty hot part of the year and the downright cold. No fence but I'm a runner and love to exercise so the doggo won't have to worry there.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also recommend getting 2 huskies if you're really set on it. Huskies especially are social and it would help with the exercise by having them play with each other.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also recommend getting 2 huskies if you're really set on it. Huskies especially are social and it would help with the exercise by having them play with each other.
Sadly I've only been ok'd for one :(.

Once I find my own place I'll be getting a brother or sister for muh doggo.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Huskie is not a breed you should get as a first timer and in a city.

There are way better easier to keep breeds you should look into.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A purebred Siberian Husky was my first every dog, got him as an adult as a rescue from a friend of a friend who bought him from a breeder and then decided he couldn't take care of him.

He was a great dog and absolutely beautiful but also a huge pain in the ass, and now that I'm older and have had other dogs I realize how much I had bitten off then that I couldn't chew.

-The fur....god the fur. It never ends and is everywhere. I used a Furminator on that guy twice a day without fail and it never ended.

-They're freaky smart and will figure out how to get out of whatever enclosure they are in. I had a big ass fenced-in yard but at least 2-3 times a year he'd figure out a way out that I could never determine and be GONE. Like, I realized he was loose one day 15 minutes after letting him out, I jumped in the car and took off around the neighborhood searching for about 30 minutes. Finally someone called me "Hey I think I have your dog here" and the guy was like 4 miles away.

-People are scared of them. You'll get dumb guys telling their kids it's a wolf and to stay away.

-They are super sweet and can be socialized like any other dog but mine ripped apart a little Pomeranian that decided to run out someone's front door as I was walking him one day on a leash. Took all of 3 seconds before I realized what was happening and he was clamped down on it's throat and tossing him back and forth like a rag doll.

After that incident I decided to put him down a few months later. It wasn't his fault but at that point I couldn't risk it again with little kids around and other small dogs. It sucked but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Basically, get a lab dude.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with everyone here. I own a 4 year old Husky. Biggest challenges are definitely maintenance and their huge energy as people have mentioned.

My boy has escaped from 3 different leashes. Two of them he just snapped right off of. One time he darted out of my front door and we searched our neighborhood for nearly 4 hours in the middle of the night until we finally found him. And he had a run in with a skunk while he was out there.

Then there's trying to constantly keep his fur clean. Cleaning up shit streaks if he happens to have diarrhea isn't pleasant, let me tell you.

Absolutely love him, but he's a handful for sure.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Veterinarian here...

Husky can be wonderful companion BUT they are certainly not a breed that I would recommend to first dog owner. I like them but they are not an 'easy' breed. They are not a breed that was bred to be companions and required a lot of knowledge/training to make them 'good dogs'. Most Huskies owner I see switch to another breed for their next dogs because of the many drawbacks of the breed.

I personally would not have one because they require too much work and I just don't have the HOURS daily it take to exercise them so they don't go insane with inactivity.

As a first time dog owner, I would advise to explore breeds that are a more naturally 'good companions' so that your inexperience is less likely to make them neurotic.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I've only been ok'd for one :(.

Once I find my own place I'll be getting a brother or sister for muh doggo.
In that case, you should consider how much time you have to dedicate to your dog EVERY day. If you don't have a large yard, you'll need spend hours every day on walks or going to the park. You'll also need a ton of time dedicated to training. Huskies are stubborn.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In that case, you should consider how much time you have to dedicate to your dog EVERY day. If you don't have a large yard, you'll need spend hours every day on walks or going to the park. You'll also need a ton of time dedicated to training. Huskies are stubborn.
Basically to all you who have mentioned time, I've basically accepted my free time and energy will be for the dog so 3-4 hours a day.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Huskies need a yard, frequent brushing, air conditioning in the summer, a lot of attention, and ideally a playmate. Also keep in mind that, as a breed, they have a particularly high incidence of eye problems. Glaucoma in particular can take less than day to progress from normal to dangerous levels of intraocular pressure, leading to permanent eye damage.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
How long do you expect to leave it alone every day? Our husky has demolished 2 very heavy duty cages and and broken through multiple fences in its ~8 years. Basically if we leave it alone longer than 3 hours, it will get panicky and start wrecking stuff. And this is with long walks in the morning and at night.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I love Blue Heelers sooooo much but would never get one knowing I'd never be able to keep up with exercise requirements and all that jazz. I feel like huskies are similar.

Oct 27, 2017
<-------- My Husky

Prepare for a lot of hair, it will never end. Do not shave your Husky and do not use a harness when walking. Mine was a terror when she was a puppy. It took a lot of work and patience but she's finally settled down a bit after about 18 months old. She still has her moments, but she's overall a very sweet, but still stubborn, dog.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
OP, have you considered a greyhound or a whippet? They are lazy and don't require as much exercise as most dogs, plus with short fur, they don't shed as much as many other large dogs or need brushing.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
My sister adopted a Husky a few years back and I've spent quite a bit of time with him. He's generally a good dog but there are definitely some challenges we've encountered that do seem to be specific to his breed.

First off, Huskies are working dogs so they tend to need a lot to do. My sister works a lot so she had to always make sure he was dropped off at another family members house that had another dog so that he could be occupied and not alone. He has severe separation anxiety that she's never been able to address. She takes him on quite a few walks and runs to keep him active and has even tried one of those weighted vests so that he tires out a little faster during the day. Either way, just know that Huskies require a lot of activity.

Secondly, her Husky is a biter. 99% his biting his friendly - he'll come up and nibble on your hand to say high and might (gently) bite you if you are playing or chasing him. However, he also has bitten another family member in the face (they are okay but required a few stitches) because he is protective of his personal space and doesn't like people getting too close.

Also - as others have mentioned - the shedding is relentless.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long do you expect to leave it alone every day? Our husky has demolished 2 very heavy duty cages and and broken through multiple fences in its ~8 years. Basically if we leave it alone longer than 3 hours, it will get panicky and start wrecking stuff. And this is with long walks in the morning and at night.
The good thing is we have spaced out work schedules so the dog will only be "alone" for a couple hours while I sleep or on a day when I have overtime.