• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Officially a Cat 4, will have at least 4 more hours till shear starts to affect it
1:00 PM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NW at 16 mph
Min pressure: 952 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel terrible for the lake Charles area. I hope some shear starts to take effect soon. We are so damn lucky in houston

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
I feel terrible for the lake Charles area. I hope some shear starts to take effect soon. We are so damn lucky in houston
We really, really are...I'm just waiting for that shear...

What radar is everyone looking at?
I'm on a forum where there are many mets and they say the shear won't do much. Forum is here if you want to read what they have to say:

Major Hurricane Laura

I dont think it has been officially declared yet, but with 70% odds now for development in 5 days, its time to fire up a thread. A wave rolled off the coast of Africa this weekend and has slowly been detected by the guidance as a candidate for development in the central Atlantic. Ive been actuall...

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a forum where there are many mets and they say the shear won't do much. Forum is here if you want to read what they have to say:

Major Hurricane Laura

I dont think it has been officially declared yet, but with 70% odds now for development in 5 days, its time to fire up a thread. A wave rolled off the coast of Africa this weekend and has slowly been detected by the guidance as a candidate for development in the central Atlantic. Ive been actuall...

The shear not doing much...that would mean it would continue more NW than projected is that correct?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Major Hurricane Laura

Yeah, this storm is moving too fast, is too well organized, and too strong for the shear to do too much to it. Even if it did, latest is showing intensification that could get it to almost Cat 5, so at best people in the cone are looking at a strong Category 4 storm hitting. It moving fast is both good and bad, too, because it is going to maintain high winds pretty far inland.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
No updates coming from the recon flight. Hopefully not another technical problem. That would be really bad timing.

Edit: It's a bit late to be looking at models, but for what it's worth, latest Euro is showing Laura reaching Cat 5 before landfall.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose at this point a few miles increase or decrease won't will change the destruction this thing is going to cause. Its terrible that its hitting throughout the night as well

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
My friends family live scarily close to the 'Up to 9 feet' band on what the Weather Channel showed. Haven't been able to reach them yet. Guessing I won't know until after this thing at this point. Maybe not for a few days depending on where they evacuated to and what they have with them.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
As a midwest hurricane noob, what is more dangerous: the winds or the storm surge? I'm assuming the water because water damage is a pain in the ass and the potential for drowning, but then why use wind speed to determine the category? Anyway, hope everyone is able to evacuate and stay safe!

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
As a midwest hurricane noob, what is more dangerous: the winds or the storm surge? I'm assuming the water because water damage is a pain in the ass and the potential for drowning, but then why use wind speed to determine the category? Anyway, hope everyone is able to evacuate and stay safe!

Storm surge by far, The wind speed being the thing has be controversial for a while now but we've seen casters and NHC pushing storm surge and flooding warnings nowadays.

Theres been talks about changing it but nothing has come of it, NHC started incorporating storm surge maps the past few years

us-hurricane-deaths-nhc.jpg

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Storm Surge resulted in the worst natural disaster in US history.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Storm surge, hands down. It's responsible for like 75-80 percent of all tropical storm and hurricane related deaths.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have friends that are storm chasers, they are pretty much telling people you have a good chance of dying if you live south of i-10 and this guy never fear mongers.

Does the state have those people evacuated?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fucking scary as shit... think this might go cat 5 before landfall? laura just continues to strengthen. be safe everyone =(

puts things in perspective

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

This is from last year. Relatively solid ground to the truck bobbing around like a bottle in 2 minutes.

EDIT: Two years ago.