• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus there's something so fuckin OMINOUS about this gif...fuck. I live in Houston and...idk. I have a very bad feeling in my gut for some reason...

Houston is safe from the vast majority of issues this storm would cause. The continual slide east helped that a lot. Beaumont is gonna get it bad but SW Louisiana near Lake Charles is gonna be ground zero with massive issues. I have to go pick up the server for that office today and I'm in Baton Rouge.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Hey i have a bedridden grandfather and grandmother taking care of him in nederland, TX. This thing is pretty much going directly at them. They cant move to shelters cause he is bedridden and suffering from dementia. Do you guys know of a service or group I can call to help them get to shelters or a place of safety besides their 1 level ranch. I currently live in ohio otherwise i would do it and there is no other family i got down there i can ask.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Any real chance Laura swerves to the West? Houston forecasts are, like, barely even giving us any rain over the next few days. Maybe the forecasts I'm looking at are outdated? I'm just wondering if Houston is definitely safe at this point.

Like, I'm seeing Tropical Storm Warning for Inland Harris County, but then only a 50% chance of rain on Thursday and partly cloudy on Friday.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Any real chance Laura swerves to the West? Houston forecasts are, like, barely even giving us any rain over the next few days. Maybe the forecasts I'm looking at are outdated? I'm just wondering if Houston is definitely safe at this point.

Like, I'm seeing Tropical Storm Warning for Inland Harris County, but then only a 50% chance of rain on Thursday and partly cloudy on Friday.

I think this was always going to be more of a wind than a rain event, but yeah, from what I'm seeing we're not going to really see anything from this outside of cloud coverage, maybe a couple sprinkles, and... that's about it.

This is saying we still have potential for high winds in the area, but than the weather alert on the side seems to be contradicting that with "Peak Wind Forecast: 10-20 mph with gusts to 25".

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Hey i have a bedridden grandfather and grandmother taking care of him in nederland, TX. This thing is pretty much going directly at them. They cant move to shelters cause he is bedridden and suffering from dementia. Do you guys know of a service or group I can call to help them get to shelters or a place of safety besides their 1 level ranch. I currently live in ohio otherwise i would do it and there is no other family i got down there i can ask.

The only thing I can think of is to try local Emergency Management offices

404 - Page not found!

co.jefferson.tx.us

Emergency Management - Jefferson County TX

Jefferson County's Office of Emergency Management's (O.E.M.) mission is to minimize loss of life and personal injury, damage to property and the environment from disasters.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019

We're mainly looking at wind.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
Flooding already

Also this...
ostY3OX.jpg

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
For the folks asking if there's a chance it could wobble toward Houston: yes, but it's probably non-zero at this point given the current direction and the speed of the storm, plus steering currents. It would likely be more south of its current location if it was heading toward Galveston Bay at this point. Be prepared for wind and some outer rain bands at the moment but a direct hit from the core of the storm is highly unlikely.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
^from their discussion
Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will
cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, Texas, to
Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and Sabine Lakes.
This surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland from the immediate
coastline. Only a few hours remain to protect life and property and
all actions should be rushed to completion.

53eba6626d5cee714e187f58da055f57a821da9cf058cefd4bdf548c17d4d8cb.gif

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really impressive how quickly Laura blew up overnight;

Stay safe Gulf Coasters. This thing is a monster. Luckily it seems to be a fast moving monster.

Yeah, less likely to dump rain in the same spots for a long time, but the trade off is that it will remain stronger further in-land, meaning places far from the coast are going to get hammered. I saw a story this morning saying tropical storm-force winds could extend as far north as Arkansas, meaning huge swaths of Louisiana could be catching sustained TS-force (40-74 MPH) winds as it roars through.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Houston appears to be safe, but gotdamn, Beaumont and New Orleans always gets the worst of these things. Smh

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My wife's parents are living in Iowa, LA and have decided to stay.

frs582.png

Which is bizarre to me, as my mother-in-law used to freak out over hurricanes at the drop of a hat in the past.

My big concern is that they're living in a trailer. Don't know if that's the best idea.

At least you're far enough away that NOLA won't get the worst of it.

Oh yeah, things were touch & go over the weekend but we're looking at a windy and rainy night but nothing extreme, thankfully.

Nov 7, 2017

frs582.png

Which is bizarre to me, as my mother-in-law used to freak out over hurricanes at the drop of a hat in the past.

My big concern is that they're living in a trailer. Don't know if that's the best idea.

Oh yeah, things were touch & go over the weekend but we're looking at a windy and rainy night but nothing extreme, thankfully.

If they are in a trailer, they should get to a shelter ASAP.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Glad Houston appears to be safe, but gotdamn, Beaumont and New Orleans always gets the worst of these things. Smh
I wouldn't get super excited yet if your in Houston. May miss the east side of this storm but the windfield is huge and extremely strong still, and still may jog west enough that the eyewall will be too close for comfort.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are in a trailer, they should get to a shelter ASAP.

Seconded, they need to move ASAP. I mentioned a few posts up this thing is moving fast so it's going to be stronger much further in-land, though Iowa, LA looks like it's about 30-40 miles from the coast which, that's not really "in-land" that much. I'm not familiar with the area at all but it looks super close to Lake Charles and is in the potential surge area FluffyDelusions linked to above.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York

frs582.png

Yeah they need to go East to at least Baton Rouge or just all the way to NOLA immediately.