• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, I'll be.

So we're safe?
We are still getting at least tropical storm conditions no matter what, which is not great. But I get it, would be a massive relief to not have to endure hurricane force winds.

I know I'm still going to lose power though (the power goes out if you sneeze where I am). Hopefully this time the power will be restored fast, I REALLY don't want to have no air conditioning when it's going to be 95 degrees every day for the next few weeks.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I haven't been paying attention to this hurricane, but am now though :/

5VWSeMa.jpg

www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-08-25-hurricane-laura-forecast-texas-louisiana

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm assuming the pre-cautions made by certain companies/organizations will still remain (i.e. school closures) or what? lol

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Slightly stronger, though it seems its leveled off for now.

10:00 PM CDT Tue Aug 25
Moving: WNW at 17 mph
Min pressure: 978 mb
Max sustained: 90 mph

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i wake up to rain, I'm working from home. If the office has a problem with that, I'll just burn a day of PTO.

I drove into work the day of Imelda, against my better judgement. I almost lost my fucking car trying to get home.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
It's a category 2 now.

1:00 AM CDT Wed Aug 26
Max sustained: 105 mph

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Laura is a category 2 storm and rapidly intensifying according to NHC
1:00 AM CDT Wed Aug 26
Max sustained: 105 mph

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Latest Euro model ramps Laura up to 931mb and almost Cat 5 intensity before landfall.

Laura is on her way to becoming extremely dangerous.

Oct 31, 2017
Latest Euro model ramps Laura up to 931mb and almost Cat 5 intensity before landfall.

Laura is on her way to becoming extremely dangerous.
That's worrying. This is the first one me or my family has ever experienced directly like this, and we are east of Houston proper by about 45-50 minutes or so. Almost equally between Beaumont and Houston's downtown if I were to guess. Essentially we are just above Anahuac and the possibility of a Cat 5 could happen, that's got me quite scared, especially for the possible storm surge and whether or not our house is safe...

We boarded up about 2/3rds of the most important, main windows last night and we're going to finish tomorrow in the day, not sure how early. We have a bunch of animals, mainly a bunch of cats and a dog, and we are just sticking put currently. This neighborhood has apparently never super seriously flooded, even though standing water has been in people's yards. I guess most others are staying, but I'm not entirely sure about that either.

I'm with my parents and I followed them down here and had quit my job and everything, right at the beginning of the year. Been kinda fucked by this year, and I hope it doesn't get just that much worse.

Any advice/thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. Have we made a mistake to stay? I fucking hope not. We don't have any kind of boat, or even life jackets or anything and suddenly I'm thinking that both of those facts are not very good at this moment in time.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
That's worrying. This is the first one me or my family has ever experienced directly like this, and we are east of Houston proper by about 45-50 minutes or so. Almost equally between Beaumont and Houston's downtown if I were to guess. Essentially we are just above Anahuac and the possibility of a Cat 5 could happen, that's got me quite scared, especially for the possible storm surge and whether or not our house is safe...

We boarded up about 2/3rds of the most important, main windows last night and we're going to finish tomorrow in the day, not sure how early. We have a bunch of animals, mainly a bunch of cats and a dog, and we are just sticking put currently. This neighborhood has apparently never super seriously flooded, even though standing water has been in people's yards. I guess most others are staying, but I'm not entirely sure about that either.

I'm with my parents and I followed them down here and had quit my job and everything, right at the beginning of the year. Been kinda fucked by this year, and I hope it doesn't get just that much worse.

Any advice/thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. Have we made a mistake to stay? I fucking hope not. We don't have any kind of boat, or even life jackets or anything and suddenly I'm thinking that both of those facts are not very good at this moment in time.
I'm not super familiar with the area or it's surrounding waters (what their water line right now is important to how they'll be affected by storm surge) but it looks like you're going to be just barely on the left side of the projections. It looks like you may get hit pretty bad but it's possible you'll avoid damage.

I'd suggest boarding up all the rest of your windows, especially if Laura stays at this category or gets worse, and make sure you're as stocked up as you can be. Food, water, batteries, charging packs, FM radio (good for weather updates when internet goes down etc). Try to find out where your local shelters are in case you do need to leave the house at some point. Your county will generally have picked secure locations for their shelters. God forbid if the house floods enough you can always go to the second floor or an attic. But if it gets that bad you want to call for help immediately so you're not stuck up there if the water rises any further.

This all general advice from a New Orleanian but don't let me get you too worked up. Others who are tracking the storm may have a better idea of where it's headed I just wanted to give you points on how to prepare

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

If Laura maintains her expected track then you'll experience tropical storm force winds and possibily hurricane force winds depending on how big Laura grows and if she wobbles more west. At the moment, I think it's unlikely that you'll experience major hurricane force winds in that location. Areas further east of you look like getting the core of strong winds. But you should be prepared to have your power knocked out and possibily for days. But in terms of destructive winds, right now, it looks like you will far enough west to miss the worst of the storm.

Looking at the storm surge map (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/031013.shtml?inundation#contents) it looks like the worst will be further east of you too.

This all depends on the track Laura takes though. So do please keep listening to official forecasts and statements in case of changes.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Good sites for information on how to prepare

Hurricanes | Ready.gov

Learn how to prepare for a hurricane, stay safe during a hurricane, and what to do when returning home from a hurricane. Hurricanes are dangerous and can cause major damage because of storm surge, wind damage, and flooding. They can happen along any U.S. coast or in any territory in the Atlantic...

Looking at it unless something drastic changes you'll be on the weak side of the storm and out of the hurricane force wind field, unless you are close to a water source you won't see much flooding as the storm is moving at a good speed. You'll probably get some tropical storm force winds and some gusts at hurricane force as storm bands come through. These bands can produce tornadoes so be aware of that.

If it does do a drastic shift you should have a plan to get to a safer place, ideally closer to Houston it shouldn't shift that much, look up shelters just in case.

Don't leave during the storm unless it is an emergency, flying debris is incredibly dangers. Also be wary of trees and branches.

If you have containers to put water in you can freeze them and keep you stuff cooler for a bit longer if power does go out.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

Looking at the storm surge map (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/031013.shtml?inundation#contents) it looks like the worst will be further east of you too.

This all depends on the track Laura takes though. So do please keep listening to official forecasts and statements in case of changes.
Good sites for information on how to prepare

Hurricanes | Ready.gov

Learn how to prepare for a hurricane, stay safe during a hurricane, and what to do when returning home from a hurricane. Hurricanes are dangerous and can cause major damage because of storm surge, wind damage, and flooding. They can happen along any U.S. coast or in any territory in the Atlantic...
Thanks for the replies all.

Yeah, we aren't super terribly far from water, namely Lake Anahuac which is north of/feeds into Trinity and Galveston Bays, so I'm definitely worried a bit about potential water and what the storm surge will actually be in reality. We are definitely going to finish boarding up windows and we've got supplies and stuff for a little while. We also had a generator installed, which might come in super useful depending on how things actually go. Neighbors have said standing water has been in the neighborhood, but that it's never really hit anyone's houses. And the house has been clear of all the flood maps' potential for water, but I'm not sure that will always be the case.

I've definitely been looking close at all of the NHC's tools and stuff here in the last little bit. The winds I'm not super worried about, but the water I definitely am. But it's all incredibly worrisome, especially if it does strengthen up to Cat 5.

I'm worried about all of the animals we have, especially if we do have to possibly flee last minute threat of serious high water. There is an upstairs to this house, but it's honestly not very big, especially if you were to factor in a ton of cats.

Hopefully everyone in and around this thing's potential impact stays safe and that the damage is relatively minimal.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
4:00 AM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 973 mb
Max sustained: 110 mph

1 mph below Cat 3 status. No recon flight in Laura at the moment so strength is only estimated.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
^ should note that they expect it to drop down to 120mph before it lands, it's gonna have about 6 hours before landing where it'll be under increased shear.

She's looking scary

GOES16_1km_ir_202008260905_21.50_29.75_-95.25_-85.25_ir1_ltng16_hgwy_warn_weathernerds.png

Last edited:

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're about to get pressure readings for the first time in several hours.

Edit: 968.6 it looks like.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that it's been getting stronger (in comparison to what they were originally forecasting).

Stay safe people!

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
967.0 mb extrapolated from the 2nd recon plane.

Pressure continues to drop.

Edit: Eye seems to have cleared out:

Last edited:

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
952mb extrapolated on the most recent recon data?

Air Force plane about to make a pass in 10 minutes will confirm if that is true. Might be an error.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Forecast to be cat4 now.

Hurricane Laura is rapidly intensifying in the Gulf. Laura's forecast has been increased to a Category 4 strengthen with winds expected to reach 130 mph. The latest track has shifted slight east close to the Texas/Louisiana state line.

www.click2houston.com

Tracking the tropics: Laura weakens to a tropical storm as it moves inland

The KPRC 2 Severe Weather Team is tracking three systems that are moving through the Atlantic Ocean this week. Two of these systems will be in the Gulf of Mexico by Monday morning.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Air Force plane found 961mb extrapolated. The 952mb from the other plane was probably an error. But the rapid pressure falls are showing that it's really deepening now.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Is this expected to make landfall today? What time? Is Jeff Piotrowski on his way?

Forcast still say Thursday landfall.

Landfall east of Houston early Thursday morning is becoming a greater certainty by the hour, with quickly diminishing chances that the Metro Houston area will face a direct hit from Laura.

www.click2houston.com

Tracking the tropics: Laura weakens to a tropical storm as it moves inland

The KPRC 2 Severe Weather Team is tracking three systems that are moving through the Atlantic Ocean this week. Two of these systems will be in the Gulf of Mexico by Monday morning.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
guess i'll ride this one out after all. yeesh i feel bad for the east, so soon after harvey

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like I definitely have to move sons birthday party from this Saturday. Remnants will be moving over CT by then. Can't catch a break after the last hurricane hit us a few weeks ago!

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Offically Cat 3 now.

7:00 AM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 963 mb
Max sustained: 115 mph

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Still strengthening. Good luck folks =\. It's just a matter of seeing if the winds respond the the deepening.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
962.0 mb from latest recon pass, still dropping.

Edit: Same plane just observed a 110kt (126.5mph) 10sec wind speed.

Last edited:

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
This thing is picking up serious strength fast. Calling for 15 foot storm surge in places.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
here in lafayette we're just clear of the cone, but they're expecting bad flooding in some parts of town. hoping my car doesn't get jacked up. i'm not from around here so not sure what to expect

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
118kt (136mph) and 122kt (140mph)10sec wind speeds just clocked by recon in the northern eyewall... if confirmed, we will likely see a Cat 4 certification by the next advisory

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Orange County and yeah... We evacuated on Monday just to be safe (figured if it weakened or was nothing we could come back), and I'm glad we did. As soon as we got to my sisters house, they called for a mandatory evacuation for our county. Stressing me out seeing it grow. Im glad we had a safe place to go (And virus free cause man I'd be even more stressed evacuating during a pandemic if we didn't), but very worried about potential damage. My mom and sister were talking about all the people on Facebook in the area who are just riding it out... good luck to them I guess? Idk why people play around with this sort of thing.