• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, just had a session where my entire group died to More Skilled hunters every single match. Our "best" games were ones where we cleared one team but then another team ambushes us right afterwards, and we killed all but one while losing one of our own in the process, and then the last person duo's us and wins.

Our worst was 2 headshots in a row by the same person and 2 bodyshots on our last member, and none of us even knew where he was, was like 60 meters away covered in bushes with the tiniest sightline on us. Wiped by one person who was Much More Skilled.

And then a match where we ran into another team at the first compound closest to us, we got wiped immediately not expecting people to be literally right next to us.

Without any kind of death cam it feels impossible to get better when we're in the brackets where instant kills and ambushes that are over nearly instantly are half our deaths, all we can do is die until we drop to a lower bracket. I didn't realize there were only 6 brackets, makes alot of sense why the quality of our games jump so drastically.

There's a matchmaking rework coming soon, you can toggle an option to enforce that ever person on the server is in your skill bracket.

Who here wants to play together on PC?
I live in a region that really doesn't have much people playing. Especially at times I can play.

Add me on steam, but I'm on gmt+2 . Not sure if that works for you?

Duraigo

Nov 28, 2017
Just started playing this week on PS4, and damn does this game get your blood racing. Still absolute garbage at aiming, but enjoying it.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my Plague Doctor last night, and capped it off with a beautiful clean-up soloing duos.

1c4kz8.jpg

24gj1h.jpg

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The floating head in the jar is an amazing touch - but my teammates tell me its not there when you play?

They extended the event by two days btw, thankfully! server issues really put a damper on things

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Have the devs mentioned anything about a potential next-gen patch for this? I would be so in if I could play this at 60FPS on PS5
I don't think they're planning on increasing the frame cap on consoles due to being able to play with last gen players. Perhaps a resolution patch? Not sure though.

I don't agree with it, but I also wouldn't recommend the console version in general if you have a PC that could run the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
As much as I realize camping isn't something that shouldn't be frowned upon but we weren't even near the boss. The dude didn't even try to save his buddies and only two ways in where he was at the prison.

I feel like a lot of the compound designs encourage camping as well. Especially with some of those with underground components.

Duraigo

Nov 28, 2017
Just had a game where me and my partner had to chase the single bounty across the map. My partner ended up getting down and then disconnected, leaving me to take on the two carriers who were close to an extract point. Got one with a Springfield, and then finished the other one, who had a bomblance, with dusters. Think I was the last one left in the match. This game can give you so many matches with lows, but when you get the highs does it feel good!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Only started playing this game, only went to the quick play until I can realize what am I doing lol

Any general advice for a new player? guides or whatnot

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Only started playing this game, only went to the quick play until I can realize what am I doing lol

just in case you didn't realize, quickplay is a totally different game mode from the standard game (bounty hunt)

good advice is be quiet, use melee attacks to kill NPCs if possible, be aware of your surroundings including sounds. crank that volume

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Kind of looking for a third in NA that doesn't one of the group being in Taiwan. My buddy is in East so we tend to play on US west. Typically play east time wise (excuse me here tryign to convert in my head) 7 PM to 9 PM.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

The aforementioned 4FS vids are all you need. He's really thorough and articulate on what does and does not work. Great channel for Hunt tips and coverage.

From my own ~650 hours of play time.
- Always carry a knife and/or dusters for dealing with most NPCs. Wasting bullets is noisy. Don't feel you need to kill everything either.
- Keep moving. You're harder to track, spot, and predict if you're not lingering too long in the one place.
- Stealth crouching is extremely valuable but is often vastly over used. If you're not in an engagement, haven't yet been seen but cited an enemy where an ambush or sneaking has contextual value, feel free to take the sneakier approach. But crouching through the world for no reason just makes you a slow moving easy head shot if you're sighted first.
- Weapons have ballistic velocity speed and damage reduction, but do not have ballistic drop. This makes them a bit easier to control and predict with practice over something like Battlefield, as you just need to get used to the timing of aiming ahead of moving targets rather than also aiming above a target over distance.
- Every sound in the game is generated by a trigger or specific area context. Pay close attention to the audio cues of the environment and match. If you see crows fly or hear dogs/horses going nuts, someone has set them off.
- Don't be afraid of dying. The whole permadeath thing and losing your hunter and their upgrades is super intimidating at first, but in the grand scheme of things wont matter as you get better at the game. A free level 1 hunter with no perks using base gear can still perform admirably against the opposition if you understand the strengths and weaknesses of the weapons and gear. Obviously certain guns/gear benefit some play styles over others, and arguments can be made that some guns are certainly easier to use than others, but within the right range a cheap silenced pistol headshot using basic ammo will instant kill just like any other gun.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the game myself. Nice to see recent chatter is from other newer players as well. Been playing as a duo mostly with an old friend of mine and really enjoying the game!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London

I might be reading too much into this, but it looks like there's quite a few hints that they might be bringing in some sort of respawn mechanic.
First of all you have the Witch Doctor resurrecting the Revenant (which could just be a cool story detail, granted):

9L997a3.png

But you also have the shot of the hunter getting shot and going to some sort of red graveyard underworld where it looks like he has to fight his way back out again.

f1F8GpT.png

There's also the Priest character becoming an Immolator. I wonder if they're going to rework the way death works in the game, could be interesting.

FMrOpLB.png

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I might be reading too much into this, but it looks like there's quite a few hints that they might be bringing in some sort of respawn mechanic.
First of all you have the Witch Doctor resurrecting the Revenant (which could just be a cool story detail, granted):

9L997a3.png

But you also have the shot of the hunter getting shot and going to some sort of red graveyard underworld where it looks like he has to fight his way back out again.

f1F8GpT.png

There's also the Priest character becoming an Immolator. I wonder if they're going to rework the way death works in the game, could be interesting.

FMrOpLB.png
Ooh, good eye. Would be interesting, although because of the way being downed and getting revived works already, I never felt like it needed a respawn mechanic. There's also a BOW! which I honestly don't know how it will be balanced to be worthwhile at all. But at this point I did not expect one to ever come.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London

New map coming soon! I really love the look of the verticality and the larger complexes. Should make for some really interesting gunfights.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

New map coming soon! I really love the look of the verticality and the larger complexes. Should make for some really interesting gunfights.

Yeah I'm actually surprised by how different it looks from the other two maps. Those kind of cliffs and the new POIs will make some very interesting gunfights!

I'm a bit torn though, because, while i like verticality generally, usually the more vertical locations have been some of the worst places to fight. But those are buildings, and not landforms anyway

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay $100 to have the game look and feel half that good on consoles
There's about 0 reasons why it shouldn't. At this point i'm convinced they just don't give a fuck about consoles that much. UI been broken two patches in a row and they can't even be assed to uncap the framerate or even bump up the resolution to 4k

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
There's about 0 reasons why it shouldn't. At this point i'm convinced they just don't give a fuck about consoles that much. UI been broken two patches in a row and they can't even be assed to uncap the framerate or even bump up the resolution to 4k
It's just Crytek doing Crytek.
Like the UI (which wasn't great) was overhauled to be more controller friendly and it's a hot mess on PC because of it.
I have like 1,500 hours in since the first month of EA, and there's no game I love and hate as much as this. Feels like whatever success it manages to find is in spite of some of the design decisions made by the project leads.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just Crytek doing Crytek.
Like the UI (which wasn't great) was overhauled to be more controller friendly and it's a hot mess on PC because of it.
I have like 1,500 hours in since the first month of EA, and there's no game I love and hate as much as this. Feels like whatever success it manages to find is in spite of some of the design decisions made by the project leads.

They really tried to make the UI more controller friendly? That didn't work then, its still horrible on console and now terrible on PC too then. I just want loadouts, I'm tired of having to manually pick everything again when I die because I die a lot.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
They really tried to make the UI more controller friendly? That didn't work then, its still horrible on console and now terrible on PC too then. I just want loadouts, I'm tired of having to manually pick everything again when I die because I die a lot.

I don't mind not having loadouts. I like searching through my accumulated items and figuring out what to run. I play a lot of Tarkov so it's really simple in Hunt building a kit to run with. Actually it's easy cause you can pre-kit out a bunch of hunters at once to quickly go into another match if you die. Just make sure to kit them fully otherwise you may load in with no heals!

The UI on PC is way better than consoles. It's really clean and I've got used to it. I think the store/unlock progress could be cleaned up a little, but it's really not bad just a little confusing currently. The search bar on PC is the greatest feature to see what traits work with what guns. Just type in trait and it'll filter to what guns it works with. Console is severely lacking this the last time I played. Make sure on console to turn up your cursor speed in the settings, otherwise it moves too slow in the menus at default speed.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Its about as good as my junk drawer. Honestly even without loadouts they could do a better job with the UI and inv. Especially with scrolling and fav filter breaking half the time.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty sure the whole reason it looks the way it has since late 2019 is for the console release. it's organized horribly though

it's weird i didn't really think it was a game that would make it to consoles. it seems very much like a pc-centric (or at least mouse/keyboard) game.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
i'm pretty sure the whole reason it looks the way it has since late 2019 is for the console release. it's organized horribly though

it's weird i didn't really think it was a game that would make it to consoles. it seems very much like a pc-centric (or at least mouse/keyboard) game.
It's insane, like they are still on that Crysis 2 console is where the money must be at nonsense so let's hamstring development for it. It's why we will never have things like storm weather and why high skill/precision weapon loadouts have been sidelined by more spammy RNG weapons and mechanics.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

It's not good on console either lmao

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
It's not good on console either lmao
oh i'm sure. but the current menu seems to be their attempt to make it navigable with a controller, with the tabs/subtab layout. as poor as it is.

It's insane, like they are still on that Crysis 2 console is where the money must be at nonsense so let's hamstring development for it. It's why we will never have things like storm weather and why high skill/precision weapon loadouts have been sidelined by more spammy RNG weapons and mechanics.
i dunno. i'm not as disenchanted with current hunt as many other older fans seem to be. neither are my buddies. it's largely still the same game to me. i do still wish there were no semi auto weapons though, and that they hadn't nerfed sway/recoil on pc. the gameplay is still uniquely both relatively slow paced yet arcadey which is what i've always liked about hunt.

above all i am excited to explore that new map and shoot some hunters on it!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Pumped as fuck for the new map. Hunt is way up there with my absolute favourite multiplayer games ever, but goddamn the content drought is real. A new boss is nice, but a new map with interesting points of interest makes for a wholly fresh experience. Loving the verticality too.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Pumped as fuck for the new map. Hunt is way up there with my absolute favourite multiplayer games ever, but goddamn the content drought is real. A new boss is nice, but a new map with interesting points of interest makes for a wholly fresh experience. Loving the verticality too.
Yeah for veteran players it's going to be so exciting having a fresh new Hunt location to explore and learn. They've also probably learned a lot from watching us in the previous maps for years so I'm expecting the new compounds to be really fun and engaging to fight in.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm actually surprised by how different it looks from the other two maps. Those kind of cliffs and the new POIs will make some very interesting gunfights!

I'm a bit torn though, because, while i like verticality generally, usually the more vertical locations have been some of the worst places to fight. But those are buildings, and not landforms anyway

Which vertical areas don't you like? I've had some of the best shootouts in the Fort, and the verticality has helped. It creates more space for more teams to get close and engaged. It is my favorite spot of the current maps.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Which vertical areas don't you like? I've had some of the best shootouts in the Fort, and the verticality has helped. It creates more space for more teams to get close and engaged. It is my favorite spot of the current maps.
I'm sure the reference there is Prison and all the metal railings.
More verticality can be great if done well, adding more dimensionality to combat spaces is good, but it's a tough thing to get right. Especially if they don't deal with cross region ping abuse, having the high ground and being able to pop out of cover and shoot people before they can even see you is a bad scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Oh you will be sure but if past design is anything, they encourage camping. Also to be fair the region I play is may as well call the game Hunt Clonedown..=S

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
The game's biggest issue is that it doesn't know how to let new players know what kind of game it is.

It's a PvP shooter with some PvE elements, not some hardcore survival sim that requires you to be so precious and conservative with your playstyle. Player retention (especially after events) would be helped by having a smoother ramp up to the skill floor and not just trying to drop the skill ceiling.

Also I know I sound down on the game but just to be clear it is still my favorite shooter by miles.

Last edited: