• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this a few months ago, and while I enjoyed it, I wanted to play this one particular mode (as it seemed a little more noob friendly) and there was never anyone playing. Jumped on the Discord, and was told that everyone was on the main mode.

Might give it another try if there are more people around (on AU servers) nowadays.

EDIT: reading the post above, I was trying to play 'quick play' but everyone was on 'bounty hunt' which was a bummer, as I was a totally new player and not keen on ruining someone elses game by playing duos and being a useless team mate.

Would be happy to have a game with you to show you the ropes. And honestly, you can play duos as a solo anyway, no need to matchmake. It's harder obviously but still a fine way to learn the ropes.

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
Really good game put over the top by an amazing setting and atmosphere. Having a blast with this game

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My last three matches with a partner on Discord. I'm sensing a pattern here...

L5SI9Md.jpg

HQ66788.jpg

zCtrBjm.jpg

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Been getting back into this and being having an absolute riot with the Spectre. Having one friend with a sniper laying down supressing fire and overwatch while you charge in with a pump action shotgun never gets old.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Been keeping tabs on this one... it looks really fun.

Does it go on sale often at all? Strict budget atm...

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This flew over my head because it remained in beta access for quite a long time. When I stopped hearing about it, I had assumed it bombed. Glad that's not the case though.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
This flew over my head because it remained in beta access for quite a long time. When I stopped hearing about it, I had assumed it bombed. Glad that's not the case though.

PC playerbase is around 8k peak, with 12 player servers its not bad. I dont know how it performs on xbox but PS release next month and crossplay between xbox and ps are coming later

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I never get tired of this game. <3

Wish they would do a huge performance and visual polish pass, it swings wildly all over the place. And then put some money into marketing it.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I never get tired of this game. <3

Wish they would do a huge performance and visual polish pass, it swings wildly all over the place. And then put some money into marketing it.

Game still looks decent but it took a huge visual hit since the alpha. Performance is a lot better tho but still needs work. They promised vulkan support and an "ultra" settings last year. Dont know if that is still happening

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Can I run at 60fps at 4k max setting with a 2080 or it is one of those games that is not very optimizer and need future hw to brute force higher performance.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
This game intrigues me, but I've heard the console performance is absolute trash even on a One X. Maybe the Series X can correct that and I'll try it out then.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Man, I want a kill cam like in COD. No point in not showing it when the whole squad is down. You can't learn anything from playing... rare encounters (or let's say it takes a while) due the games nature (loading, spawn, 12 players only). I can't see how the enemies run, how they aim, how they move. I only see from where. This enables a highly frustrating experience, especially since no long TTK can save you or keeps you longer in a combat situation so can actually improve on your skills.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want a kill cam like in COD. No point in not showing it when the whole squad is down. You can't learn anything from playing... rare encounters (or let's say it takes a while) due the games nature (loading, spawn, 12 players only). I can't see how the enemies run, how they aim, how they move. I only see from where. This enables a highly frustrating experience, especially since no long TTK can save you or keeps you longer in a combat situation so can actually improve on your skills.
I thought they added the ability to at least see where you got killed from a while back? It's not as good as a full killcam, but it's something.
You will definitely learn from just playing, you just gotta take it real slow, and be quiet.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So the next big update is adding a whole bunch of new melee weapons. I'm not entirely sure what mechanical hole they're trying to fill with them? A lot of them seem to have mixed uses (blunt light/piercing heavy or vice-versa), which seems to just be making other current weapons like the knife or machete a bit redundant?

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The built in Nvidia highlights works really well for this. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1573973038
Of course that doesn't help you any if you don't have a compatible card.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I just ended up getting this. Been eyeing it for a year and with EFT having so many server issues lately I need something else to play. I normally play EFT solo so hoping that it's semi possible here as well. Looking forward to jumping in.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I just ended up getting this. Been eyeing it for a year and with EFT having so many server issues lately I need something else to play. I normally play EFT solo so hoping that it's semi possible here as well. Looking forward to jumping in.
Playing Solo is absolutely possible, you just have to make peace with the fact that you'll never quite know how many people you're going up against. Most will be duos and there will be some trios, but as long as you use the environment to your advantage you can have a lot of success solo.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Solo is absolutely possible, you just have to make peace with the fact that you'll never quite know how many people you're going up against. Most will be duos and there will be some trios, but as long as you use the environment to your advantage you can have a lot of success solo.

Awesome. Sounds like Tarkov then. Just finished the tutorial so ready to start getting rekted for awhile. Should be fun :)

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
You can choose not to be matched with trios

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
What mode do most people use? Hunter or Gunslinger? Can you get one hit in this game? Seems like the most damage I've taken so far left me within an inch of my life.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the fence about this game for a minute now. How many players can group up in a standard game? I remember it used to only be 2, but when googling I'm seeing stuff about 3 and maybe even 4 player squads? I can't tell if these are special event modes or not

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I tried it on Xbox game trial - it's beautiful, and I love the setting...very atmospheric.

I tried playing a few times, and yeah...wasn't loving the gameplay.

What made me quit was getting attacked by some sort of creature, and while trying to fight it off (and getting hurt), an enemy player sniped me from a roof. To me, that just wasn't fun.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
How many players can group up in a standard game? I remember it used to only be 2, but when googling I'm seeing stuff about 3 and maybe even 4 player squads? I can't tell if these are special event modes or not
You can group up to three players. No special mode. If you play solo or duo you can opt out for playing against triple player squads, but you get an underdog XP bonus if you opt in, though.

I've been playing this game for 32hours now, 95% with my brother. There are some annoyances you have to wrap around your mindset, like you die really, REALLY fast. However, this evening we had some awesome rounds: real fire fights, not those instant death headshots from 100m and the game is over before you know what had hit you. Enemy squad alerted us by startling crows. Bullets flying through, darting through wood, doors and windows, glass shattering. It's amazing, a very intense game with great atmosphere.

Remember that a hunter's life is short and any headshot could be lethal and death may awaits you around any corner. So we just shoot and kill any creature, living or dead, on sight and have fun but also try to be alert and vigilant in case other players sneak up on us or stumble across our paths.

Can you get one hit in this game? Seems like the most damage I've taken so far left me within an inch of my life.
Yes. The game provides many details like bullet velocity and damage when examining weapons. The Sparks rifle for example deals 149 damage, leaving you with 1 HP remaining. Damage drop begins roughly at 20m, though. Headshot is still deadly within 200m range, IIRC. Reloading time is long and you have to reload after every shot. Other weapons, like the Winfield does only 85 damage, but it's a bolt-action rifle so you can shoot faster.

The built in Nvidia highlights works really well for this. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1573973038
Of course that doesn't help you any if you don't have a compatible card.
Thanks, found the option in the Nvidia overlay!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I tried it on Xbox game trial - it's beautiful, and I love the setting...very atmospheric.

I tried playing a few times, and yeah...wasn't loving the gameplay.

What made me quit was getting attacked by some sort of creature, and while trying to fight it off (and getting hurt), an enemy player sniped me from a roof. To me, that just wasn't fun.
To be fair, your example does happen, even to experienced hunters, but the chances of it happening can be heavily mitigated.

Some small words of advice that I wish I'd known sooner:

• Everything you do makes noise. Some of it makes local noise (stepping on glass, startling a horse), some of it makes 'global' noise that reaches everyone on the map (firing a non-silenced gun, startling crows). If you manage your noise level well, it's much much harder for enemy teams to know where you are and set up an ambush. Of course they can still stumble on you, but you're reducing the chance.
  • Don't slow down unless you know you're near enemy players. This sounds a little contradicatory with my first point, but if you're playing smart you can avoid crows and kill zombies on the move. The thing is, if you crouch or even just walk about when you could be sprinting safely, that's just giving the potential ambusher an easier shot. So keep moving quickly and smartly (going from areas of cover to other areas of cover), and you'll lessen the chance of an easy headshot.
  • Know how to deal with different enemy types, and when you actually need to deal with them. This is an experience thing, but a lot of enemy types can actually be pretty much ignored. The most annoying are things like hives and immolators because they have a larger aggro range, but you can almost entirely ignore meatheads unless they're literally standing on a clue, and armoured aren't usually an issue unless they're really in your way. Still, making sure you have a melee weapon to kill armoureds and hives, and dusters/a good blunt option to deal with immolators should mean you don't take any serious damage from enemy types.
All that said, sometimes you do just get sniped out of nowhere from someone you had no idea was there. It's the nature of the game, but I'd say at least 95% of the encounters I have I was aware of the enemy team before I died, even if I did get snuck up on after the fight started. It's pretty rare I feel like I've died 'cheaply'.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
To be fair, your example does happen, even to experienced hunters, but the chances of it happening can be heavily mitigated.

Some small words of advice that I wish I'd known sooner:

• Everything you do makes noise. Some of it makes local noise (stepping on glass, startling a horse), some of it makes 'global' noise that reaches everyone on the map (firing a non-silenced gun, startling crows). If you manage your noise level well, it's much much harder for enemy teams to know where you are and set up an ambush. Of course they can still stumble on you, but you're reducing the chance.
  • Don't slow down unless you know you're near enemy players. This sounds a little contradicatory with my first point, but if you're playing smart you can avoid crows and kill zombies on the move. The thing is, if you crouch or even just walk about when you could be sprinting safely, that's just giving the potential ambusher an easier shot. So keep moving quickly and smartly (going from areas of cover to other areas of cover), and you'll lessen the chance of an easy headshot.
  • Know how to deal with different enemy types, and when you actually need to deal with them. This is an experience thing, but a lot of enemy types can actually be pretty much ignored. The most annoying are things like hives and immolators because they have a larger aggro range, but you can almost entirely ignore meatheads unless they're literally standing on a clue, and armoured aren't usually an issue unless they're really in your way. Still, making sure you have a melee weapon to kill armoureds and hives, and dusters/a good blunt option to deal with immolators should mean you don't take any serious damage from enemy types.
All that said, sometimes you do just get sniped out of nowhere from someone you had no idea was there. It's the nature of the game, but I'd say at least 95% of the encounters I have I was aware of the enemy team before I died, even if I did get snuck up on after the fight started. It's pretty rare I feel like I've died 'cheaply'.
Thanks, that's good feedback. I also struggled with the difference between a battle with AI and a battle with players (ie it was like playing two different shooters, one where I could take some damage and give some back, and one where they dropped me incredibly fast).

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Thanks, that's good feedback. I also struggled with the difference between a battle with AI and a battle with players (ie it was like playing two different shooters, one where I could take some damage and give some back, and one where they dropped me incredibly fast).
I'd be careful thinking about it like that; it's more like playing a shooter against players and a melee game against the AI. You shouldn't be firing unless it's an absolute last resort against AI, unless you want everyone on the server to come at you. It's like ringing the dinner bell.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
So how many players are you playing against at any given time? I mean the maximum amount of players in PvP.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So how many players are you playing against at any given time? I mean the maximum amount of players in PvP.
12 players total in a match, so if you're solo there could be 11 others, duos can have 10 other players, and Trios can go up against 9 others.

That works out to about 5 other teams you need to worry about in a duo, and 3 other teams of you're Trio. Not that it always works out that way but they try to match team sizes against each other.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
12 players total in a match, so if you're solo there could be 11 others, duos can have 10 other players, and Trios can go up against 9 others.

That works out to about 5 other teams you need to worry about in a duo, and 3 other teams of you're Trio. Not that it always works out that way but they try to match team sizes against each other.
The Escape from Tarkov comparison has me excited. When I watched some videos I thought that that game (EFT) looked fun and also similar to this. So now I'm happy to know that that will in fact be the case. Gonna pick this up next week. Not sure if I'll get it physical it digitally. Anyone know if it's easy for me to access my PSN account/games on my friends PS4? If it's a pain in the ass to do that then I might not bother trying.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
The Escape from Tarkov comparison has me excited. When I watched some videos I thought that that game (EFT) looked fun and also similar to this. So now I'm happy to know that that will in fact be the case. Gonna pick this up next week. Not sure if I'll get it physical it digitally. Anyone know if it's easy for me to access my PSN account/games on my friends PS4? If it's a pain in the ass to do that then I might not bother trying.

I just started playing this but have played EFT for over a year. This has some similarities but that's about it. When Phant0m said EFT lite that's pretty true. Feels like more of an arcade version. Definitely not as deep. Not that is a bad thing. I'm enjoying it and makes a good game to go back and forth with EFT.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Last time I played it, it was really punishing for new players and frustrating. I am not very good at games and make bad decisions - this bites me in the ass in BR games as well. I wanna like this, but alas it's more frustrating than fun :(

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I just started playing this but have played EFT for over a year. This has some similarities but that's about it. When Phant0m said EFT lite that's pretty true. Feels like more of an arcade version. Definitely not as deep. Not that is a bad thing. I'm enjoying it and makes a good game to go back and forth with EFT.
I kind of disagree on the depth comparison. I feel like Hunt is really deep, but it is a lot more simple. Complexity doesn't always equal depth, and I think the variance of each round of Hunt is testimony to how deep and broad the possibilities for a match can be. Fights rarely play out in the same way twice.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of disagree on the depth comparison. I feel like Hunt is really deep, but it is a lot more simple. Complexity doesn't always equal depth, and I think the variance of each round of Hunt is testimony to how deep and broad the possibilities for a match can be. Fights rarely play out in the same way twice.

I'll definitely bow to the knowledge of long time players since I just started playing. I'm not saying there's no depth to it but doesn't seem as deep as EFT.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I'd be careful thinking about it like that; it's more like playing a shooter against players and a melee game against the AI. You shouldn't be firing unless it's an absolute last resort against AI, unless you want everyone on the server to come at you. It's like ringing the dinner bell.
Ah, that's a great point. Though I did get ripped apart by dogs at one point - I guess I was trying to shoot them and not melee.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Is this generally just better on PC? Ignoring graphics, I just mean controls etc. I tried it on Xbox, which is my primary gaming mode.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Ah, that's a great point. Though I did get ripped apart by dogs at one point - I guess I was trying to shoot them and not melee.
I recently learnt a trick with dogs: they can't pounce around corners, so if you hide behind a tree or a fence, they have to come around and you can stab them while they come around to you. Makes them pretty trivial to deal with.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Excited for the PS4 release. Hope it wont get burried but even the PS twitter forgot about this game when they posted a tweet about the upcoming games in february...