• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

More than 200 people across 30 states say that they were sexually abused as children by people with ties to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which serves more than 4 million children as the nation's largest youth development nonprofit.

Boys & Girls Clubs' employees, volunteers, and even other minors all abused 250 children, who were sometimes as young as 6, according to an investigation by Hearst Connecticut Media published Thursday. In some cases, administrators didn't report the abuse to law enforcement, didn't run adequate background checks on staffers now accused of abusing children, or didn't follow the Boys & Girls Clubs' safety guidelines.

Some of the 95 civil and criminal cases filed over the alleged abuse stretch back to the '70s; others are still ongoing as of this week.

One of the most egregious cases discovered by Hearst involves a California man named Paul "Dwayne" Kilgore. A civil lawsuit alleges that a fifth-grade boy tried to report Kilgore, in both 2007 and 2010, for recently sexually abusing him. But Boys & Girls Club of Sonoma Valley employees didn't tell police. In 2012, the club's leadership found Kilgore had slept naked with children in a bed on an overnight trip, but once again, no one told police.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That is it horrifying. I have always remembered my summers there with my friends as some of the most fun times of my childhood.

How did they get away with not running backgrounds checks, and how the hell did they not report accusations to authorities!? Fuck, this is gross.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is it horrifying. I have always remembered my summers there with my friends as some of the most fun times of my childhood.

How did they get away with not running backgrounds checks, and how the hell did they not report accusations to authorities!? Fuck, this is gross.
I get the feeling that they probably didn't believe the victims

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I was abused at one, glad this came to light

Jesus, really sorry to hear that.

You'd be surprised how easy it is for middle management in any company to sweep stuff under the carpet.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's terrible. They serve some of the most at risk kids in the country. There's no excuse for this. Failure to report a sexual assault allegation by any organization should result in severe civil and criminal penalties.

Also just noticed this was posted in August. Thanks for the bump, I'd never have seen it.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, any organization that works with children will attract predators. Accountability and fear is the only thing that will keep those predators from acting, but it's tough when even the highest offices are infested with rapists and pedophiles.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised how easy it is for middle management in any company to sweep stuff under the carpet.

If you ran a country-wide organization that has one too many chapters that are totally cool with sweeping child abuse under the rug for their own self-preservation, what can you do to combat this?

In this case, The higher-ups are clearly complicit if this has been going on since the 70s.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I was abused at one, glad this came to light
My condolences, friend.

I worked at one for a couple summers after graduating High School. Nothing fishy there aside from one time where the main supervisor, an older woman the other employees didn't really like, got a "best employee" award when no one voted for her. I think she had a scratched back thing going on with the elderly couple that ran the branch.