• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Epic Games is gearing up to partner with Humble Bundle in an effort to allow developers to sell their games via the Epic Games Store on the Humble Bundle Store.

This new change will allow Epic Games Store game developers to sell Epic store exclusives as well. Epic Games all receive no revenue share from the games purchased through the Humble Store,

The partnership will kick off with keys that can be redeemed on the Epic Games Store, and Epic will allow players to go ahead and link their Epic and Humble accounts so that buyers can complete direct purchases.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...ith-humble-bundle-for-epic-games-store-titles

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Meh tbh, at least if it was on GMG, Amazon etc we'd have competing prices

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It's a beginning, but they need a fair use key printing API like what steam offers.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Look forward to "The Humble Epic Games Bundle" sooner rather than later I'd suspect

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That seems to be specifically focused on the people who talk about the Steam key options for third party stores

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better than nothing (which is what Epic provided before), but still absolutely nowhere near good enough.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a step, but the idea is multiple sellers for competition. This was my one issue before they started collating data before asking permission, so that's a shame the latter part happened.

Quick move the goalposts.

Nobody ever said "I hope Epic graciously allows one selected store to have the privilege of distributing games". The idea is letting devs sell wherever and having actual competition to drive prices down like we're used to.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
So like if they are keeping a 70/30 split (any confirmation, I thought Humble took a lower cut), then as a honest question what's the point in using the Epic store if you are not even giving more money to the developers. Like if its the same split with epic that's fine.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a start. But lemme use GMG, Voidu, Fantatical, etc too.

Then stop buying exclusives. Will buy keys with Epic after that

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
That's a nice move, but it's still sounds like epic is controlling where you can buy games that works with the epic launcher.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I can get the 10% off discount again (for having Humble Monthly). But will it only be this one store? Green Man Gaming is another notable one with some pretty high discounts even for pre-orders.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

goalposts.jpg

Already in this thread.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
"we have keys, but you're only allowed to sell on one store"

I guess it's because Humble Store doesn't do discounts out of it's cut like GMG, Voidu & others? (apart from monthly 10% discount, but it has been disabled for some games).

Better than nothing I suppose?

If devs pay 30%, why would they go there? We'll see how many take the deal.

I'm glad I can get the 10% off discount again (for having Humble Monthly). But will it only be this one store? Green Man Gaming is another notable one with some pretty high discounts even for pre-orders.

Because Humble doesn't do those discounts maybe?

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bit about linking accounts closes the reselling market. This allows Epic to remain in the main control of who is allowed to sell keys on their storefront, only the boxed copy keys can float. Amazon has the tool where they, for example, offer both an Origin key and a direct Origin activation.

I doubt EGS keys will ever be sold, just direct-activations. Humble has been aggressive about linking B.net or Uplay accounts to lock-down key re-selling.

I agree, and I bet that is something that has been requested from developers and publishers and may be another reason why we're seeing so many exclusivity deals.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is huge. One of the issues I had with the EGS is that 3rd party services were not available, now with this it's going to be easier (and cheaper) to buy games.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
It's a start, but with the recent shady activity concerning data gathering, I would still rather not launch the EGS client if I can at all help it.

Epic not getting any profit out of it, if true, would possibly alleviate a part of my reticence for buying EGS-exclusive games. But I would have to want to launch the EGS client in the first place, which is less likely now than it was before.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
So only one keystore that partnered with Epic is allowed to sell EGS keys?

It's just sad to see Epic continue to introduce console practices on pc. I hope pc gamers will use their brain to see the impact this may have on the future of pcbgaming.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not praising Epic for doing the bare minimum, if that, is not moving goalposts.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good start, but it would be nice if they expanded this to more stores. I hope they announce some more soon.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, walled garden by any means nessecary.
But apparently, pointing out that this isn't actual reseller support is moving the goal posts.

I was just making a mild joke, but regards to full reseller support, I'm a little skeptical on whether that should actually be a goal, and it's probably one reason pubs and devs are accepting EGS exclusive deals. I mean yes it's nice from a price perspective as a consumer to get a game $10-$20 cheaper at launch, but allowing outlets like GMG or cdkeys to purchase bulk discount keys from Eastern Europe or wherever and resell them at low prices is hardly a boon for developers either. Ultimately from Epic's own words they are going to be partnering with other stores, so there will be some price competition, just not in realm of grey market keys most likely.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If you're saying the concern here is moving goal posts, i think you're missing the entire conversation on this topic.This is a good step in the right direction, there's still more work to be done however.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The goalposts are simple and unchanging: Steam allows developers to sell keys completely arbitrarily.

That fosters the kind of free market competition that people are ostensibly in favor of.
Special agreements with single storefronts don't.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's a small first step, but a good one.
Now they need to allow other resellers, and to allow them to do deals/discounts whenever they want.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Now they just need a Humble Bundle with Detroit, Control, Other Worlds, and Phonex Point for $12 and I might actually start using the Epic Store.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The goalposts are simple and unchanging: Steam allows developers to sell keys completely arbitrarily.

That fosters the kind of free market competition that people are ostensibly in favor of.
Special agreements with single storefronts don't.

Per the article they will be partnering with more stores in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Humble Store gives 75% to the developer unless it's different for these Epic exclusives. It's this way:
  • 75% to developer
  • 15% to Humble (this is where the 10% Humble Monthly discount is taken from)
  • 5% to charity
  • 5% as free Humble Store wallet credit or charity, user picks on checkout

However, some developer's websites have a Humble Widget. For example Shovel Knight has one. Making one would be a good idea if you're a developer that couldn't make it to the Epic store and has to deal with Steam's 30% cut. The split for the widget is even more favorable:
  • 95% to developer
  • 5% to Humble

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody ever said "I hope Epic graciously allows one selected store to have the privilege of distributing games". The idea is letting devs sell wherever and having actual competition to drive prices down like we're used to.

Stamping out the existence of sites like cdkeys or G2A is not only good for the industry but, in extension, for the consumers. Their business practices have allowed them to scam even small developers out of endless amounts of money (http://www.tinybuild.com/single-post/2017/04/28/G2A-sold-450k-worth-of-our-game-keys). Being able to buy every game for half the price seems great for the consumer? Only if you completely ignore that these business practices actively harm the industry, driving away developers, hurting artists which, quite obviously, is not a good thing for consumers, either.

I think it's pretty great we now have a competitive store where that shit just doesn't fly anymore, where consumers are willingly supporting scam artists to get their games on the cheap.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I was just making a mild joke, but regards to full reseller support, I'm a little skeptical on whether that should actually be a goal, and it's probably one reason pubs and devs are accepting EGS exclusive deals. I mean yes it's nice from a price perspective as a consumer to get a game $10-$20 cheaper at launch, but allowing outlets like GMG or cdkeys to purchase bulk discount keys from Eastern Europe or wherever and resell them at low prices is hardly a boon for developers either. Ultimately from Epic's own words they are going to be partnering with other stores, so there will be some price competition, just not in realm of grey market keys most likely.
I'm fairly sure that isn't how GMG works since AFAIK Steam purchases with aggressive regional pricing are locked to that region. I've never heard anyone refer to them as grey market in the same way as G2A.