• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing jumped out as fuck yes... but I ended up leaving the swinging game and the rhythm game... but then bought the swing game for 6$ lol It was btween that and Railway Empire so I went with the more expensive game in the bundle and bought the other

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I own Void Bastards already, but just going through the Steam page for each game in there I'd never heard of...most of them look kind of interesting. It's easy to dismiss the list as a bunch of shit based on the titles, I guess.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I own Void Bastards already, but just going through the Steam page for each game in there I'd never heard of...most of them look kind of interesting. It's easy to dismiss the list as a bunch of shit based on the titles, I guess.
It really is, but they often have a list of solid games, just not mainstream well known ones (which for me is basically the perfect service. Like I used to love PS+ but then they started giving out more well known titles and I cancelled lol)

I use the choice as a chance to discover gems that I missed as well, and usually there are a few.

This one is one of the weaker ones for me, but only because 4x/strat is featured so heavily and it's a genre I refuse to play. Not because I think it's a bad genre, but because they tend to require a lot of time and energy to get into and do well, time and energy I would rather spend on other genres. It's still a fine month for me though, and no different than some of the months that were more misses from me from before choice.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Oooh, nice. Age of Wonders: Planetfall and Void Bastards I wanted to have. I've played both of them on Game Pass for a bit, but I was hoping Void Bastards would be in the first bundle.

Then they changed it, unfortunately, but glad to see it now. There are definitely some titles that interest me, I already own Beat Hazard 1 and I absolutely loved that game. Especially with the Sleigh Bells albums XD.

So yeah, not a pass from me.

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be my first pause. While the quality of these bundles has gone down, there's always been at least 1 or 2 titles that would make the sub worthwhile to me. I already own Void Bastards and the swing game looks interesting, but not $12 interesting.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
if i'm not interested in this month, i just click pause and i'll be able to keep my sub? first month i don't see many games i'm interested in and don't want to accidently lose my $12 sub plan. does it automatically unpause for the next month?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yuppie Psycho is an EXCELLENT horror game. Truly excellent. Don't sleep on it.

OP
OP
mantis

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
if i'm not interested in this month, i just click pause and i'll be able to keep my sub? first month i don't see many games i'm interested in and don't want to accidently lose my $12 sub plan. does it automatically unpause for the next month?

Yes, it will unpause automatically. You don't lose your sub.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Depends. Is your 12$ sub plan from the recent -40% promotion? Then you will lose the discount for all future bundles if you unpause.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Yuck. Planetfall is the only thing that I would want here and it is on Game Pass.

Not counting the couple times I forgot to pause, I think I have only wanted 2-3 of the bundles since December. Before the move to Choice, I had only paused a couple times in 2 years.

What a massive drop in quality to me.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
As I said many threads ago, the only reason I hang onto my subscription is because I'll always pay less for bundles when they do have something I want.

They have not had anything I've wanted for months. Humble Choice has been, time and time again, incredibly underwhelming.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
so, it just feels like a weird month to me. i actually had planetfall on my wish list, so its a good month for me i guess, but some of these games are, i don't know. not really games I "want" to play?

i disliked beat hazard, so it was easy to not choose beat hazard 2. i'm going with verlet swing as my other no since it seems to also be gameplay i'm not excited about

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Battlestar Game is pretty good, don't overlook it.

The only real drawback to it is it has a decent chunk of DLC.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
They got bought out like 3 years ago, it's been under IGN for longer than not. Some of the best bundles were in 2018 and 19.
Well it seems to me like it was better before then 🤷‍♂️ The last decent one of the recent bundles I can remember had Yakuza 0 and Soul Calibur VI.

They just lean way too heavy on the indie type games, I'd take one AAA game over a dozen indie games.

6 gifts from savageturnip

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 6 gifts from savageturnip savageturnip!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

savageturnip said:
Ended up subscribing for a couple of these titles but figured i'd give the rest away, enjoy!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: AGE OF WONDERS: PLANETFALL - DELUXE EDITION - Won by Animus Animus (13 entries)
  • Steam Steam: RAILWAY EMPIRE - Won by Illusionary Illusionary (3 entries)
  • Steam Steam: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DEADLOCK - Won by dreamylittledream dreamylittledream (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: METAL UNIT - Won by Nabs Nabs (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: DON'T ESCAPE: 4 DAYS TO SURVIVE - Won by master_Willem master_Willem (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: BASINGSTOKE - Won by Vash Vash (1 entry)

OP
OP
mantis

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it got worse. But now that you already know all the games, you are probably more likely to pause/cancel. As there is no "risk" of missing some of the unknown games.

Especially with the classic plan you still get a lot of games for little money.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is Planetfall any good?
I always heard that Age of Wonders was a great 4x game, but the setting did not appeal to me.
At the same time, I find that few 4x games manage to hold my interest like Civilization does. Civ benefits greatly by having everything being relatable to the real world, rather than sci-fi or fantasy units where you have to learn a lot more abstractions to understand the game.
I know that it was not well received, but even Civilization: Beyond Earth had that problem. Things like the tech web took significantly more effort to understand than regular Civ's tech tree.

so, it just feels like a weird month to me. i actually had planetfall on my wish list, so its a good month for me i guess, but some of these games are, i don't know. not really games I "want" to play?
I've said it many times before, but re-framing the bundle as "Humble Choice" where you have to choose the games you want from the bundle, rather than "Humble Monthly" where you picked based on "headline" games with the rest being unknown and delivered later, has been a big mistake for Humble.
If this was a "monthly" bundle they might have advertised it as having "Planetfall, Void Bastards, and six other games for $12" and people would be interested.
Now they pad the list out to twelve games, where it is often only two or three that are appealing, and tell you to pick 9-10 of them. When the majority of the bundle are games I have no interest in at all, it makes me not want the bundle - even if the main 2-3 games were of interest.

Jesus Christ is Humble Choice bad rn.
What makes it worse is that many of the games end up on Twitch Prime (which many people have for reasons other than the games) or free on EGS a month or two after Humble now.
And they have a bad habit of putting out base games just as new DLC is released for them.
Void Bastards is a Humble published game, and it took 14 months to get on the service now. They used to push their own games on the service, but rarely do any more.

Some of those "OMG such GAAAAARBAAGE!!!!! PAAAAAAAAAUSE OR CANCEL!!!11"" posts are so predictable and yet remain sad each month.
Yours is the only post like this.
But Humble has become a shadow of its former self since IGN took over, and they switched over to the "choice" bundles rather than "monthly". What is "sad" is the state of these bundles now.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yours is the only post like this.
But Humble has become a shadow of its former self since IGN took over, and they switched over to the "choice" bundles rather than "monthly". What is "sad" is the state of these bundles now.
Dunno. Ctrl+F "Garbage" gives results on each thread page and it's always the same people who post how bad this stuff supposedly is. If you feel entitled enough to call 10 games for $12 (or 9 games for $20) garbage and feel offended by such an offering: dunno. Just don't buy it and quit throwing the same tantrum each month.

Also I hope you realize that IGN bought Humble already 3 years ago.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno. Ctrl+F "Garbage" gives results on each thread page and it's always the same people who post how bad this stuff supposedly is. If you feel entitled enough to call 10 games for $12 (or 9 games for $20) garbage and feel offended by such an offering: dunno. Just don't buy it and quit throwing the same tantrum each month.
Someone saying "it's been garbage since the price increase" is not throwing a tantrum like your post actually was.
As I said in my other post though, the reason so many people complain about the quality of these bundles now is because you have to pick the games.

If there are two games I want in the bundle, and I have to select eight more that I don't, that feels like a bad deal.
But if I buy a bundle for those two games with eight other "mystery" games that show up three weeks later, it feels like I bought those two for $6 each and the rest is a bonus. It doesn't matter if those games are of interest or not, because I wasn't making that choice.

Also I hope you realize that IGN bought Humble already 3 years ago.
I didn't realize it had been quite that long, but looking over a list of the bundles that have been released since then, I think my point still stands.
Most of the bundles have not been very good at all, and are packed with filler, repeats, and old games. Back before IGN took over it was very rare for me to pass on two months in a row. Now I'm maybe picking up two bundles a year.

If anything, this makes me want to cancel my subscription rather than holding onto "classic" status by pausing each month.
And looking into this shows me that Humble un-paused my subscription in May (I pause at the start of every month now) so I have a whole month's worth of games I have zero interest in.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
What makes it worse is that many of the games end up on Twitch Prime (which many people have for reasons other than the games) or free on EGS a month or two after Humble now.
And they have a bad habit of putting out base games just as new DLC is released for them.
Void Bastards is a Humble published game, and it took 14 months to get on the service now. They used to push their own games on the service, but rarely do any more.
I'd maybe have not paused it this month if I didn't already have Game Pass and Twitch Prime, which have all but made the bundles near useless.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've paused for the past 3-4 months now at least. The games are often either ones I've played/own already and there doesn't seem to be that one gem that I haven't to make me want to buy in. Last month almost had me with Mo:Astray but pausing allowed me to score it for 75% off during the latest Steam sale.