• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I won against an AI army twice as strong as mine. I attacked them at the entrance of a canyon, I put my 2 archers on each side of the canyon at high level and one unit blocking the way through in a spot that was facing only one of their units. I rained arrows on them and switched between the other units to have always the healthiest one blocking the way until I killed them all. I didn't even lost a unit.

I don't think that's exactly what he meant.

E.g. if you corner an army where they have no other spot to move to (e.g. against a canyon), their deployment zone will only be one spot and they can only deploy one unit. Its very much broken that it's possible to box the deployment zone in that much... I was on the receiving end of that once. Even though there would've been a path out for me, the deployment zone only gave me one spot. Very dumb.

christ0phe

May 9, 2018
Can I just say that, I have insane amount of appreciation to the artists who added this bit in the main imagery.
Just feel humbled by the humanism of it.
Feels so powerful.
Especially with the main OST.

QEFhnQU.png
My eyes are always drawn to this and I never realized that until now. Thanks for sharing

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
man the Khmer district is so stupid. The only thing I can build at this point is units. I'm usually too lazy for warfare but I might as well rush some civs down.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading impressions in this thread and uh...... This seems like civilization?

...It's like civilization isn't it?

Because I love civ. Fog of war and all that? Barbarians too?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I'm reading impressions in this thread and uh...... This seems like civilization?

...It's like civilization isn't it?

Because I love civ. Fog of war and all that? Barbarians too?
It is like Civ yes in that is it a historical 4X. Yes to Fog and Barbs. Has a lot of bugs and balance issues though (more than even your vanilla Civ release).

man the Khmer district is so stupid. The only thing I can build at this point is units. I'm usually too lazy for warfare but I might as well rush some civs down.

Yeah Khmer are way OP versus other equivalent cultures. My current power picks for early game are Egypt/Persia/Khmer. Let's you grab territory fast and capture extra "Zero Pop" free states, hold them well, and set you up for a civic "land rights" explosion if you so choose at the Medieval era by attaching 5+ territories to each city followed by the Baray which basically gives every city the equivalent output of the entire AI nations. All three have great buildings and unique units as well. If you can get good at securing these three with the current balance, it would be very hard not to be the top nation by a wide margin for the second half of the game, can build most of the wonders, and end up near 20,000 fame end game if played right.

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
It is like Civ yes in that is it a historical 4X. Yes to Fog and Barbs. Has a lot of bugs and balance issues though (more than even your vanilla Civ release).

Yeah Khmer are way OP versus other equivalent cultures. My current power picks for early game are Egypt/Persia/Khmer. Let's you grab territory fast and capture extra "Zero Pop" free states, hold them well, and set you up for a civic "land rights" explosion if you so choose at the Medieval era by attaching 5+ territories to each city followed by the Baray which basically gives every city the equivalent output of the entire AI nations. All three have great buildings and unique units as well. If you can get good at securing these three with the current balance, it would be very hard not to be the top nation by a wide margin for the second half of the game, can build most of the wonders, and end up near 20,000 fame end game if played right.

The +15 stability bonus for building districts as a builder civ is permanent, right? So each district becomes a net +5 instead of -10 stability, correct?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
That is exactly the combo.

Catching a 0 pop tribe is dumb as well as hitting the jackpot with rivers.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
The +15 stability bonus for building districts as a builder civ is permanent, right? So each district becomes a net +5 instead of -10 stability, correct?

No, it's a one-time gain of 10 stability, which is more useful than it sounds.

If your net stability modifiers are negative, it doesn't matter how much it's negative by: you always just lose 5 stability in that city per turn (4 with certain civics). So if you're able to build one district every two turns, your stability in that city will be stable as long as you keep building districts, even though your net stability modifiers are steadily getting more and more negative.

Oct 27, 2017
So I played a game where I went full agrarian (every era) and finished with the Turks (because the AI took the Brasilians under my nose)... let's say it's kinda broken:
pWQ839t.jpg

I took Turks at turn 244 (my technology progress for the era is 0):
3ozQ488.jpg

On turn 263, not even 20 turns later, I ended the game by finishing all technologies:
clvbI8K.jpg

At 80+k science per turn, I was unlocking 2.5 technologies from the last era per turn.
In 19 turns I did 6 times the science, twice the influence, 8 times the money and 4 times the pollution I made in 244 turns...

edit: I didn't even wanted to end the game like that. I thought I could keep one technology unfinished and continue playing, it turns out you can't skip it.

edit 2: I tried continuing the game after the end but I met some bugs, like if I go full nuclear on everybody, I can see the aftermath on the next turn (with the little animation) then the game gets stuck (I can click on stuff but nothing works), I tried reloading but the map is empty, I only see water... I went too nuclear maybe...
I've had some issues with reloading former saves, as sometimes, the AI does different things like proposing a treaty it didn't before.

edit 3: Joueur du grenier is streaming with drops activated if you want his persona (speaking french ingame):
www.twitch.tv

Joueur_du_Grenier - Twitch

Chaîne Twitch du Joueur du Grenier ! Souffrance, misère et humour oppressif.

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: HUMANKIND™ :: [1.2.116] Version Notes

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS Broadened generation conditions of Oil and Uranium deposits to reduce the risk of not enough deposits of either spawning. Technology endgame condition is triggered by having every endgame Technology (instead of having every in the game Technology). The number of Cities...

What? Technology endgame was already too easily triggered and now it's even easier? Not sure I understand that..

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
New patch 1.0.2.132 on the beta branch too with some fixes

most importantly:
Fixed an issue where the third Empire (also known as the infamous Magenta empire 3) seems to have vision on other Empires and Independent Peoples when it should not.
THAT'S why those fucks always seemed to find the good colony spots and influenced very Independent People on the map.

Oct 27, 2017
Shurjoka (german streamer) is live, playing Humankind with drops enabled, if you want to get her persona:
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

The Spiffing Brit & Lewis are streaming on Yogscast's channel:
www.twitch.tv

Yogscast - Twitch

YogsCinema - Don't Starve Challenge - Ep 4 - Burn Baby Burn

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Even at the highest difficulty, you snowball SO HARD during the last era that the AI is just somehow incompetent at. If you survive early/mid-game wars, you've essentially won, no matter what you do. I built all 4 of the last era's wonders because I could build them so quickly.

I DID have a really tough, seemingly endless mid-game war against the second-place team that got rough at one point, so that's where the difficulty was, but after winning that (no vassaling the other empire, they were too strong for that, but getting some territory and leaving enough army to prevent them from attacking again), it was pretty much mindlessly clicking to build everything. Late-game is, just like Civ, still quite... boring, at that.

Oct 27, 2017
I was convinced you couldn't skip technologies (and keep one unfinished not to end the game) but actually there's an option to switch off (Enable Mandatories):
GwJ6pDa.jpg

and it's good you can continue playing and end the game another way.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I played a few hours yesterday. Its pretty fun but I don't understand combat or how to spread religion at all

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I played a few hours yesterday. Its pretty fun but I don't understand combat or how to spread religion at all

the better question is WHY to spread religion, because there's really not much importance on it, if any... maybe some grievances and depending on your perks maybe some capital science/industry, but not much.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I'm going to wait a few months for some more polishing and patches, the game has incredible potential, but it's not quite there yet.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So I played a game where I went full agrarian (every era) and finished with the Turks (because the AI took the Brasilians under my nose)... let's say it's kinda broken:
pWQ839t.jpg

I took Turks at turn 244 (my technology progress for the era is 0):
3ozQ488.jpg

On turn 263, not even 20 turns later, I ended the game by finishing all technologies:
clvbI8K.jpg

At 80+k science per turn, I was unlocking 2.5 technologies from the last era per turn.
In 19 turns I did 6 times the science, twice the influence, 8 times the money and 4 times the pollution I made in 244 turns...

edit: I didn't even wanted to end the game like that. I thought I could keep one technology unfinished and continue playing, it turns out you can't skip it.

edit 2: I tried continuing the game after the end but I met some bugs, like if I go full nuclear on everybody, I can see the aftermath on the next turn (with the little animation) then the game gets stuck (I can click on stuff but nothing works), I tried reloading but the map is empty, I only see water... I went too nuclear maybe...
I've had some issues with reloading former saves, as sometimes, the AI does different things like proposing a treaty it didn't before.

edit 3: Joueur du grenier is streaming with drops activated if you want his persona (speaking french ingame):
www.twitch.tv

Joueur_du_Grenier - Twitch

Chaîne Twitch du Joueur du Grenier ! Souffrance, misère et humour oppressif.
Until they nerf machu picchu (did they yet? I haven't looked) agrarian is not that great outside maybe the first civ to get your pops going. Still think Egypt is better by a wide margin though because they get influence on top of production, which is huge early game.

Again Egypt/Persia/Khmer = You Win with current balance and game rules.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
Until they nerf machu picchu (did they yet? I haven't looked) agrarian is not that great outside maybe the first civ to get your pops going. Still think Egypt is better by a wide margin though because they get influence on top of production, which is huge early game.

Again Egypt/Persia/Khmer = You Win with current balance and game rules.

Machu Picchu is bugged, or at least the tooltip is. It doesn't give you 50% of food produced by the host city - it actually gives you 50% of the amount of food needed to grow the next pop, and only affects cities built after Machu Picchu itself is built.

That said, I still probably wouldn't take Agrarian after the midgame, just because pop growth is capped at 1/turn at normal speed and the later eras don't last long enough.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Machu Picchu is bugged, or at least the tooltip is. It doesn't give you 50% of food produced by the host city - it actually gives you 50% of the amount of food needed to grow the next pop, and only affects cities built after Machu Picchu itself is built.

That said, I still probably wouldn't take Agrarian after the midgame, just because pop growth is capped at 1/turn at normal speed and the later eras don't last long enough.
I'm not sure about that, or at least when I was playing it was working as it was a key contributor to my Gigalopolis city run which was my Capital. Only way I was able to help grow that city to near 300 citizens and if you highlight over the Capitals food, it had an +X under that section that was basically half of what the food city with MP was putting out.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
I'm not sure about that, or at least when I was playing it was working as it was a key contributor to my Gigalopolis city run which was my Capital. Only way I was able to help grow that city to near 300 citizens and if you highlight over the Capitals food, it had an +X under that section that was basically half of what the food city with MP was putting out.

That's interesting - maybe one of the patches broke it? I just tested it again on a city producing 500+ food, and building it provided only about ~45 food to another nearby city (and the + was rolled in "Districts" rather than "Machu Picchu", as was the case for new cities).

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So, to come back to the discussion a while ago on whether it's better to age up asap or wait, I'm now fully on the side of waiting.

The third (gold) stars are way to valuable to miss out on. In my current game (Empire difficulty), I was at one point two eras behind one AI, but still had a 2k fame lead due to me actually taking the time to get those gold stars.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So, to come back to the discussion a while ago on whether it's better to age up asap or wait, I'm now fully on the side of waiting.

The third (gold) stars are way to valuable to miss out on. In my current game (Empire difficulty), I was at one point two eras behind one AI, but still had a 2k fame lead due to me actually taking the time to get those gold stars.

I will try this in my next run. Wouldn't this impact your military power?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Era is not necessarily linked to your research level. Just because you are in the medieval era doesn't mean that you can't be far ahead of that technologically.

I thought you can't research tech beyond your era.

Edit: I guess this restriction is only for the first era.
Edit2: I had a science culture when I checked.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
You can if you choose a science culture.

But of course you don't want to be too far behind on tech, so you probably shouldn't be waiting too long, but you should generally be fine if you have a large army to discourage AI's from declaring.

Well, I started such a run, so let's see how this goes.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
Just tried a money-focused speedrun rather than an industry-focused one, going Harappan > Carthaginian > Umayyad > Venetian > Siamese > Japanese, and it turned out to be faster. Taking Umayyad is great, since being able to get Three-Mast Ships and Patronage in Medieval is a huge boost. It's also slightly odd there doesn't seem to be a Merchant culture in the Industrial era (Siamese seems to be close-ish, but is really more builder than merchant).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Alexey Khaletski (russian streamer) is playing if you want his persona:
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

edit:

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

This is not a great idea at higher difficulties (e.g. Humankind) and especially with huge maps/10 civs, because going into the next age late means you'll have like... One civ to choose from and everyone will already be there - and they WILL be rushing you with advanced unique units.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is not a great idea at higher difficulties (e.g. Humankind) and especially with huge maps/10 civs, because going into the next age late means you'll have like... One civ to choose from and everyone will already be there - and they WILL be rushing you with advanced unique units.
I haven't played on Humankind, but rushing for eras seems to always be vastly inferior than going for gold stars as it is fame that wins you the game.

Of course, this is highly dependent on your situation. If you're right next to an AI picking the Huns, you might want to rush for Persians to get those Immortals.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played on Humankind, but rushing for eras seems to always be vastly inferior than going for gold stars as it is fame that wins you the game.

Of course, this is highly dependent on your situation. If you're right next to an AI picking the Huns, you might want to rush for Persians to get those Immortals.

I've found that in late-game you spiral so far out of control with stars and fame, that early on you really rather be rushing land/units/army to hold off invaders and build your empire. then mid-late game transition from Industry/Food to Science and stars and the AI is just.. woefully bad in late-game.

I'm not saying RUSH for stars, but if you get the pop-up saying you can advance, maybe give it another 2-3 turns if you're a science/district away from those stars or so, then advance. Definitely don't postpone it for 10-20 turns to be a completionist.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my first run at trying to get more stars early on and not speeding up through the ages went up in flames in a war. For some reasons two of the AI were getting more fame and faster through the eras and this war was practically the point of no return.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I've found that in late-game you spiral so far out of control with stars and fame, that early on you really rather be rushing land/units/army to hold off invaders and build your empire. then mid-late game transition from Industry/Food to Science and stars and the AI is just.. woefully bad in late-game.

I'm not saying RUSH for stars, but if you get the pop-up saying you can advance, maybe give it another 2-3 turns if you're a science/district away from those stars or so, then advance. Definitely don't postpone it for 10-20 turns to be a completionist.
I think this divide is what they need to fix. They need to find a balance where both paths are valid depending on situation.
But AI unable to go for thenwin in the lategame makes rushing probably optimal instead.

Oct 27, 2017
HandIOfIBlood (german streamer) is playing, if you want his persona:
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
From the matches I played so far, emphasizing on agrarian/population early game is very strong and will make it easy to snowball fame.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Really like this game, but I constantly get the Turn Pending Bug. I will wait a few months before playing again probably. Doesn't help that GamePass version is always behind in Patches.