• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint's review by Cameron Kunzelman is down on the game (noting that it's for a specific sort of player that's not him) and it actually really sold me on the gameplay.

Final paragraph:
It is undeniable that this is more dynamic and specific and operable than a Civ game, but in my time with the game I have remained unconvinced that this level of fiddly knob control gives me anything unique or better than the more abstracted or zoomed out systems of a Civ. My experience of Humankind was one of seeing occasional glimmers of something special while having to fight to keep a lot of numbers and pressures in my head at once. I know that there are strategy and 4x players for whom this is where the action is. Those players love the system mastery of it all, and it's clear that the developers' desire here was to create an abundance of complex systems that interlock beautifully. I think they accomplished that, but for me there is a point where that reaches diminishing returns, and Humankind is over that line.

Superb read and very informative.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Reviews seem decent enough and I'm always looking for a new 4x. Preloading right now.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Preloaded yesterday, looking forward to tomorrow. Had a blast playing the opendevs and I'm glad this is a 4x game that breaks from the status quo Civ has been stagnant on.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the betas and it is not any more complex than than CIv, but it doesn't have Civ's familiarity (if you've played Civ [x], it's not going to be hard to learn to play Civ [x+1]).
So players will have to get used to the region system, which works very different to Civ's territory system. It limits you to one city/outpost per pre-set region, which can feel like an artificial/gamey limitation.
Diplomacy is not difficult, though war is handled more like paradox games, where you have to end the war and make peace to actually take over territory. Wiping another civ from the map was really hard and requires you to kill every one of their units. This is good, since you usually end up with defeated puppet states/vassals as a buffer between the remaining superpowers, somewhat like real life.
Battles are like Endless Legend. IMO, they are better than Civ. However, terrain and unit composition REALLY matters. Siege battles are quite complicated (I never had enough in my short playtime to really understand them), and city walls can make a big difference if you have enough units to man them effectively. There's always autoresolve for a more Civ-like experience.
I hope they keep some of the beta test battles as scenarios to give you a tutorial on advanced unit tactics.

There are no worker units, which removes one of CIv's tedious bits.
You build districts to exploit/expand territory (a bit like Civ's districts). You build trade routes to auto-create roads.

The hardest part is knowing how to grow cities. You build outposts, and either grow them into cities or link them to a city, essentially making one megacity sharing the same build-queue. It's a big game-changing decision (like city placement in Civ), but it's not obvious what is best. Basically, linking cities means you don't need to build multiple temples/marketplaces or whatever, but you can get stability problems later due to the huge population.

It is much LESS complex than Endless Legend. That was ridiculous, with all the units having equipment upgrades to research and manufacture, plus holy resources and the general unfamiliarity with the fantasy resources.

The trickiest balance issue in the betas was around "stability" which lets you build wide or tall. In one beta, it was a non issue, so you took every region and made (mega)cities everywhere, while picking whatever civics you like.
In the next beta they tried the opposite (intentionally, to get feedback on the balance), so you had to build loads of +stability districts, avoid too many/too big cities. It was too much and you had to be "Both Sides" in civic development to avoid the stability penalties from being too open/xenophobic/progressive/conservative/etc.
I'm not sure what the final release will be like.

There were other balance issues with different cultures, but they are easier to fix (and I know they were going to rebalance these).
The culture development is great, although they need to be careful that there doesn't become an optimal path. Each culture gives you some unique temporary era buildings/units, plus a generic theme bonus (e.g. culture or military) for that era, plus one legacy bonus that you keep for the rest of the game. They need to be careful that some legacy bonuses aren't too overpowered.
In one beta, America was total shit, while the French/Frank cultures had insane boosts, like +50% food, not that the nationality of the devs would cause any bias ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Bought and preloading.

It is much LESS complex than Endless Legend. That was ridiculous, with all the units having equipment upgrades to research and manufacture, plus holy resources and the general unfamiliarity with the fantasy resources.

This is nice to know. I got the hang of EL eventually and started really liking it but the system does still feel overwhelming sometimes.

Stability sounds kinda like the stability system from the Rhye's and Fall mods for Civ4. You'd have to watch your civics, expansion, happiness and warmongering there or you'd lose cities to revolts.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Can't wait! I'm a big Civ fan and I found Endless Legend to be pretty fun, so I pre-ordered this one to get the Notre Dame. I have some extra free days next Thursday and Friday and will be jumping in a lot. Hopefully the game will be fun.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I like how they handle the Nuke. It will launch a turn later, giving other nations a chance to respond and creating a MAD balance.

Based on the reviews it looks like a really solid game with lots of future potential.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
I like the region and stability approach a lot, in principle. REX was always a huge pain in Civ because it tended to be the optimal strategy in most of Civ's iterations, but also promotes a very micro-heavy playstyle.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Excited for this one, I hope my work laptop manages to run it fine. Something else than Civ 6 will be a nice change

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Well, I didn't think any of the Endless games were complex at all. Legend had quite a lot of systems with all the DLC included but they weren't complicated by any margin. Reading some of the reviews it seems that a lot of accessibility friction comes from the game not strictly adhering to the Civ blueprint, which is a massive plus in my book. It's the same old "must all space 4X rehash MOO2 to a degree" type of thing.

Maybe it's me being overexposed to the genre but modern 4X are extremely streamlined. Even Paradox games are many times more complex and there are mainstream games that dial that even further (stuff like Oxygen Not Included). I would say most of the actual challenge of playing these games comes from the sheer depth of choices and analysis paralysis, well at least for me.

Anyway, rant off. Complexity = good even if accessibility suffers. Eventually you get past even the worse of learning curves but lack of actual depth kills 4X faster than you can research Animal Herding :p

Jul 26, 2018
Sorry, English is not my native language. I meant that something like ONI is significantly more complex (at least IMO) when compared to stuff like Civ 6.
Oh no worries, you're English is awesome :) Thanks for the clarification, I've been curious about ONI and it's top in my "games to try" for when I come back to PC gaming or when it releases on console. I became an Xbox peasant since November 10th, 2020

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I preordered this on Epic to play in the early access betas and now feel like booboo the fool with it on Gamepass... but at least it's almost time!

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass page:

Buy HUMANKIND™ | Xbox

Discover HUMANKIND™, a Historical Strategy game where YOU will create your own civilization and re-write the entire narrative of human history. HOW FAR WILL YOU PUSH HUMANKIND?

Steam version is also unlocked

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I swear xbox game pass used to prompt me on what drive I want to install a game but now they always install on my default drive without asking =/

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I swear xbox game pass used to prompt me on what drive I want to install a game but now they always install on my default drive without asking =/
lol, I thought the same just now. Where did the dialog go? Weird. Maybe because it installed from the store and not the Xbox app? The whole Windows integration leaves so much to be desired

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Can't download it from the store, it sends me to the xbox app on W11 but its not yet on there

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If you've played in one of the Open Devs and still have the a folder called Humankind in your Documents make sure to delete it or the game seems to crash on start up.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I only played some betas but calling Humankind complex is,imo, farfetched. THe game's complexity is very similar to a CIV game with expansions.
I can't wait to try!
Oh no worries, you're English is awesome :) Thanks for the clarification, I've been curious about ONI and it's top in my "games to try" for when I come back to PC gaming or when it releases on console. I became an Xbox peasant since November 10th, 2020
While ONI is very complex I find it very charming so I tolerate the absurd learning curve
If you've played in one of the Open Devs and still have the a folder called Humankind in your Documents make sure to delete it or the game seems to crash on start up.
Thanks