• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
This is that Civ-like game by Sega, right? Is it going to be Stadia exclusive, or will it be coming to Steam?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Well I just launched the demo and already I see improvements over Civ:

- The map scroll and zoom is really smooth.
- WASD map scroll!!!!!!! Game changer!

It's really awesome to be able to immediately play a strategy game like this; as someone who has installed and uninstalled many versions of Civ over the years, instant-play is really refreshing.

I'm not seeing any options for touch controls unfortunately. I feel like this is a perfect game to play on a tablet or chromebook using touch-screen for everything.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
First time using Stadia, are there no graphical options? Game looks incredibly muddy.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
First time using Stadia, are there no graphical options? Game looks incredibly muddy.

How muddy? Stadia should determine your resolution based on your device & connection speed. Here's what mine looks like at 1080p on chrome:

YRyYmPV.jpg

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Some more impressions:

It might interest some people to know that this game is a CIVILIZATION-ass Civ game. They clearly wanted to make Civ but better, unlike e.g. Endless Legends, which is a game that very much does its own thing, Humankind looks and plays extremely similarly to Civ. For me, that's great.

I saved after a few turns and then loaded back in. It took just over 1 minute to load back into my game. I wonder if after 100 turns it will be as fast, but if it's better than Civ due to either the nature of Humankind or Stadia, that's a huge improvement.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Some more impressions:

It might interest some people to know that this game is a CIVILIZATION-ass Civ game. They clearly wanted to make Civ but better, unlike e.g. Endless Legends, which is a game that very much does its own thing, Humankind looks and plays extremely similarly to Civ. For me, that's great.

I saved after a few turns and then loaded back in. It took just over 1 minute to load back into my game. I wonder if after 100 turns it will be as fast, but if it's better than Civ due to either the nature of Humankind or Stadia, that's a huge improvement.

Sounds good. They are the only devs remotely competing with Firaxis in this space, looking forward to giving it a go.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Unfortunately I can't play it. Stadia is not available in my country. But for all people, specially civ fans, give this game a look. I think it is very interesting.

BTW, it is in preorder now (yes everybody here hate preorders). I think it is a little more expensive than their previous games.

Please, people who can try this game, give us your impressions.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
How muddy? Stadia should determine your resolution based on your device & connection speed. Here's what mine looks like at 1080p on chrome:

YRyYmPV.jpg

Oh ok ya it looks like this on my browser as well now after a few minutes of gameplay. Guess it took some time to get to 1080p.

I am on a gigabit connection so guess it was just settling.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
as bad as stadia is, using it for demos is actually really smart, keeps dataminers out while not needing people to download the game on its own.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's running like hot garbage for me, and it's never been this bad. I've been a subscriber since day 1. This is probably why they don't normally do demos like this.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
No, I just don't have an account. I could go and get it set up, but honestly... I think I can just wait rather than add another account to my giant pile.

Tbh I kind of expect better from an admin than pointless drive- by troll posts. Aim to actually contribute to the discussion or just don't post.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I kind of expect better from an admin than pointless drive- by troll posts. Aim to actually contribute to the discussion or just don't post.
Believe it or not, not being happy about something is not inherently trolling.

And it's a weird kind of driveby when I stick around to answer questions, no?

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I just don't have an account. I could go and get it set up, but honestly... I think I can just wait rather than add another account to my giant pile.

You're doing well if you don't have a Google account :P

On topic, it's a strange thing to have to claim a demo, but hey, instant access ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Right after I finish with Pac Man, because I know this is this sort of game that wants you to lose hours and hours too in one sitting

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
pretty painless to play, im always logged into google on chrome anyway. gotta say if nothing else this could be the future of demos just load instantly in to try a game nothing to install/uninstall.

as for game itself wish there was a tutorial? maybe i missed it but i just got shit on with 100 systems all over the place lol. get the general gist cause ive played some civ but ya overall dont kno wth im doing.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Believe it or not, not being happy about something is not inherently trolling.

And it's a weird kind of driveby when I stick around to answer questions, no?

By now you could have already been playing this demo but instead you decided to chime in to let everyone know you are too lazy to make an account. That's either trolling or just really bad time management but I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i played it in beta, it's good but it miss all the customisation you can do in Endless Legends

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If I went into a Dark Souls thread and keep repeating how much I dislike those games, even if I never tried it, I would get banned on the spot.

Absolutely pathetic attitude for an admin and on par with how some of the community and mods treats Stadia. If its not for you, cool, I have no horse in it succeeding or failing. The tech works for me, could have better support, better dolby options and cleaner image quality, but it is neat.

But maybe take notice of a section of your community that is tired of seeing countless shitposts in every.single.fucking.stadia.thread.

I don't care if you are an admin, mod or the celebrity. Shit posting needs to stop. Every Stadia thread gets flooding with "stadia lulz," "oh its still a thing?," and other pointless posts like that, which don't promote ANY type of actual discussion.

But hey, I'll follow your lead. Time to go into the Undertale OT and tell them how much I think the game is hot garbage.

Cyklik

Dec 3, 2018
If I went into a Dark Souls thread and keep repeating how much I dislike those games, even if I never tried it, I would get banned on the spot.

Absolutely pathetic attitude for an admin and on par with how some of the community and mods treats Stadia. If its not for you, cool, I have no horse in it succeeding or failing. The tech works for me, could have better support, better dolby options and cleaner image quality, but it is neat.

But maybe take notice of a section of your community that is tired of seeing countless shitposts in every.single.fucking.stadia.thread.

I don't care if you are an admin, mod or the celebrity. Shit posting needs to stop. Every Stadia thread gets flooding with "stadia lulz," "oh its still a thing?," and other pointless posts like that, which don't promote ANY type of actual discussion.

But hey, I'll follow your lead. Time to go into the Undertale OT and tell them how much I think the game is hot garbage.

While I understand your frustration, this is a pretty flawed analogy. This is more akin to port-begging or platform-bashing than it is to going to an game's OT to trash the game. I think the strongest parallel is any game announced to be exclusive to EGS on PC.

Personally, I'd really like to try this, but I'm reluctant to install Chrome on my new PC given the way Google has steered the browser in recent years.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

I was once like you, it's a lost cause. One time a mod gave a warning to someone in a Stadia thread which generated a dozen posts complaining about why that person had a warning...not even a ban.

Cloud gaming is not popular here for obvious reason, xCloud, GeForce Now and now Luna will have low post counts and quickly fall from the front page.

But Stadia is some kind of phenomenon on here that I have not seen since Kinect threads on GAF. You have carte blanche to derail or troll which achieves the ultimate objective of complete thread derailment or a thread lock.

On topic, anyone know what the max resolution is? Will try on my 4K TV tonight

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't play Civ games I was really missing a proper tutorial. Sill a fun way to test the streaming (which was really good)

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
pretty painless to play, im always logged into google on chrome anyway. gotta say if nothing else this could be the future of demos just load instantly in to try a game nothing to install/uninstall.

as for game itself wish there was a tutorial? maybe i missed it but i just got shit on with 100 systems all over the place lol. get the general gist cause ive played some civ but ya overall dont kno wth im doing.

It really does just kind of dump you into the game. There are tooltips at least, but if I had never played Civ before I think I would be totally lost.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Man this is where streaming could really shine. I don't have a gaming PC anymore but I do have a laptop (Surface Pro)... Playing Civ natively would suck, so it'd be great to be able to play using Google's machine. Same goes for any big PC game really.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man this is where streaming could really shine. I don't have a gaming PC anymore but I do have a laptop (Surface Pro)... Playing Civ natively would suck, so it'd be great to be able to play using Google's machine. Same goes for any big PC game really.
Yeah, seriously considering to play Baldur's Gate 3 this way once it's out of early access

painey

Oct 27, 2017
My first time trying Stadia and it's interesting. Full on PC gaming with my GPU not even needing to turn on is wild, but this game just seems so much like Civ that I just found it hard to care.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
This and Baldur's Gate are really the types of games I've been waiting to see on Stadia. Long-term games that I may want to pick up and play whenever without having to worry about updates or storage or any of that.

I'm playing the early access and it's pretty damn good.
I have loved Stadia for Elder Scrolls Online for exactly this purpose. I'm a very casual player of these kinds of games, but my Surface Book has a mere 256 GB of storage and I don't have the time or the SDD space to run an update every time I get around to playing. Playing instantly through my web browser has been incredible.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty excited to check this out later. Also looking forward to the Fenyx demo tomorrow.

This is something Stadia really could shine at. I was a big supporter initially, but the service has been lacking for sure. I let my pro account lapse during the summer and haven't really been tempted to come back until now.