• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Cool idea, but I don't trust 3rd party docks. Sounds like there is good minds behind this though and hopefully their research on the bricking nature of the Switch is accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in to say my Global edition (Singapore) arrived today. Works like a charm. It's basically smaller than my Macbook chargers, comes with a great right-angled USB C cable (1m!) and has the HDMI on it. So overall it's doing everything asked.

Obviously travel is out of the question these days but I also really appreciate how sliding off the Singapore/UK 3-pin reveals the US 2 pin underneath. It's really well engineered.
does it output video with your MacBook? I'm getting an iPad Pro and if I could use it as a portable switch dock but also an output for my iPad to a screen, that'd actually be super useful.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
does it output video with your MacBook? I'm getting an iPad Pro and if I could use it as a portable switch dock but also an output for my iPad to a screen, that'd actually be super useful.

You know, my initial thinking was "nah, that's not going to work."

But it does. Tried it with both a USB-C iPad Pro and a 2018 Macbook Pro 13". On the iPad it does the traditional mirroring (with bars on the sides since it doesn't match the aspect ratio of a 16:9 computer monitor over HDMI, whereas on the Macbook Pro it was automatically detected as a desktop extension (second monitor). That is probably configurable?

Last edited:

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
That's good to know. I'm still waiting for my 3rd batch early bird. Apparently I should get tracking info soon according to the latest Kickstarter update.

I kinda wish I went with the Skull & Co dock but I'm sure the Genki one will work well.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Mine's FINALLY getting in this coming Tuesday. Been looking forward to this as I've got my dock behind an entertainment center full of cables, so having this to bring around will be a godsend, though it'll be hard to really use now :/

Oct 25, 2017

But it does. Tried it with both a USB-C iPad Pro and a 2018 Macbook Pro 13". On the iPad it does the traditional mirroring (with bars on the sides since it doesn't match the aspect ratio of a 16:9 computer monitor over HDMI, whereas on the Macbook Pro it was automatically detected as a desktop extension (second monitor). That is probably configurable?

well! I guess I know what I'll buy instead of the Apple USB C - HDMI adaptor then. Thanks!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is sweet. Maybe I should get one. Are they on sale anywhere yet?

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018

Oh, that's nice!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
What did their survey say for "what product would you like us to develop next?"

I remember being really wowed by one of the options.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Can you guys please provide some impressions on the product since receiving it? I just heard about this thing and I'm really interested in it! My biggest concern is with how previous third-party docks have had the looming threat of being able to essentially fry your Switch 😅.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys please provide some impressions on the product since receiving it? I just heard about this thing and I'm really interested in it! My biggest concern is with how previous third-party docks have had the looming threat of being able to essentially fry your Switch 😅.
No issues here. I plug it into my multi adaptor under my desk and use it when streaming on Twitch and outputting to my monitor. It's cool, no issues whatsoever

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I got the initial run US-only version and it's been great. Super convenient works exactly as advertised.

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered mine just before their indiegogo ended. The only downside I can foresee is it only being 1080p output when I use it with my iPad Pro but it's not like I'm plugging that into a 4k tv anyway since it's mostly for work.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

They have a lengthy post detailing why other third party docks could fry your Switch and they've accounted for that when designing this. There shouldn't be any worry of it here.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks—I'll make sure to look over that information before confirming my purchase!

Here's an article talking about the engineer from Genki explaining why it happens:

arstechnica.com

Here’s why Nintendo Switch consoles keep frying

Blame nonstandard design elements that exist in both Nintendo's and third parties' docks.

And here's what Genki says they've done to make sure that it's not an issue:

Our engineer, Andrew wrote up a in-depth article on the causes of bricking and has even been picked up by Ars Technica, essentially it's caused by poor components overloading the M92T36 chip which manages the docking and power of the Switch. When damaged, the Switch cannot be charged, but fortunately the chip is replaceable and your save progress is unharmed.

To maximize reliability, we made sure not to skimp on parts. We've configured the Covert Dock to use only standard Switch charging profiles when used with the console and conform to PD standards for other USB-C devices. We've worked closely with experts in this field, including producers of the official Switch AC adapter, engineers of various docks in the market (including Insignia), and the developers behind reputable PD and GaN technologies (Navitas).

We've selected premium components and are getting global certification for complete protection for you and your devices. We have a dedicated chip to manage and prevent over current/voltage production, overheating, overpowering, and short circuits. Additionally, we've made it possible to update the firmware so that we can maintain compatibility in the unlikely event that the Switch docking protocol changes through firmware updates and new hardware revisions.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I'll pitch in having finally gotten mine about a month ago. It absolutely works as advertised, 0 issues whatsoever. I've also not had much cause to use it, but it also works flawlessly as the USB-C computer docking station as well. Even fits (somewhat snugly) in my slim BOTW Switch case. Best $70 I've spent this year, even though COVID hampers its use a bit more than I'd planned :/

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
My only real complaint about the Genki Covert Dock is it seems extremely picky on what USB-C cables work with it in order to get video output to work with the Switch. I've tried a bunch and they all failed. Heck I tried my expensive $80 Oculus Link cable and it wouldn't work either. The only one in my house that I've tried and have gotten it to work with is the one that comes bundled with it.